DBZ custom made DVD/BD - acceptable?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

DBZ custom made DVD/BD - acceptable?

Post by coola » Thu May 23, 2019 9:59 am

Since upcoming 30th anniversary of DBZ from Funimation is looking to be just Season Sets but in 4:3 (In short, very poor quality) and Toei recently started censor some of Movies, so it might affect future releases of series as well. Dont you think it is better to just get one of those custom made DBZ episodes with Broadcast audio? I know it is grey area or for some downright illegal, but, if you already own whole series, whatever it is Singles/Orange Bricks/Dragon Boxes/Season Sets. Then i dont think it is that bad since you ve already shown lots of suport for franchise, but again, thats my humble opinion :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: DBZ custom made DVD/BD - acceptable?

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 23, 2019 11:36 am

What you do on your own time is your own business and no-one else's. If you think you have supported the series and its creators to a sufficient degree in the past and the product that you have repeatedly asked for is repeatedly not made available to you, only you can justify for yourself what to compromise on and what alternate routes to take.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:39 am

I basically agree with VegettoEX here, but for whatever it's worth, here's my two cents...

Making your own custom DVDs/BDs is perfectly fine.

If making your custom DVDs involves pirating material to assemble it, then you're gonna have to make that call yourself.

To me, though, the point where custom DVDs/BDs stops being just you making something neat out of a love for the show, and becomes a serious problem, is selling this stuff. Long as you're not doing that, I say go nuts.

Personally, I've been tinkering with prototypes for potential boxart for a custom DVD/BD of Ocean Kai for me to make and put on my shelf, now that that looks to be finally becoming a thing.
Dunno if I'll end up actually going through with it, since it seems to be a lot of work, but it's certainly an idea that intrigues me.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Fri May 24, 2019 3:05 pm

I shouldn't be suprised people are having the same idea. Having gotten fed up with half-assed releases FUNimation has been giving us, I figured I should take matters into my own hands and make my own ideal box set that covers DB to GT, combining all the best audio and visual sources released officially and beyond.

Between synching several dubs and making custom menus/box arts, it's a chore and a learning process, but an enjoyable one. As someone who owns practically every uncropped western release and has been clamoring for something even close to definitive, I don't feel the slightest bit bad about it.

It's just crazy how us normal guys with limited resources can throw something together that's more appealing than FUNimation's Super-Awesome Ultimate 30th Anniversary set.

Apart from that, I don't have anything to add other than thirding what the others say; your own personalized Blu-ray is fine, but bootlegs are bad, mkay?

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat May 25, 2019 2:41 pm

A BIG YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if an acceptable release was available in the world i would have said no as long as you don't buy it (for example if a X one is nice but US don't want to release it or persist with their jerks then backup your own dvd or bluray and add subs is for me acceptable)

companies have to seduce custumers, for that they have to release attractive release so listening people and do things for that goal but no , they do the things as they want claiming fake things (when they take the time to explain) for example steve franko in the level set video was into the cyborg saga so it means, he was having done at least until that part but i really think he did the job until the end and that's why season sets have regular colors etc. tape mark, dirt etc are not in the season sets meaning that the cleaning was done, so why they just don't use level sets footage? cause they don't care , cause their team members have shit taste and want the product like they want ..why thoses things persist? because people buyed it, i am pretty sure that if they released level sets instead of 30th birthday in the set, it will sold even better for the same price. we are in the reverse situations. do you think it's normal that a 2017-2018 movie release in 2019 have a green tint and can't be removed from the market cause the product is defective? do you have green tint on the cover? on the screenshot? no so it's an illegal product cause what is inside is not what shown on the cover

at this rate it will be the same with food, you'll got chocolate that will have the taste of everything else but not chocolate .
so yes custumers are the king, if the companies don't want to seduce us with good product then people don't have to buyed them. if productors don't want this things to happened, then they have to choose nice companies that's all, all fans project are the result of what deserve companies that sold shit and productors for didn't forced the companies to release the things properly.

film degradation is natural cause the film age BUT if they want to released it they have to correct it else it's not a brand new product, it's a repackaging of an old product, like if i use a bicycle, that pieces aged then just sold it as a brand new bicycle