Why I'm not fond of Vegeta's original anime color scheme

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Why I'm not fond of Vegeta's original anime color scheme

Post by Saturnine » Mon May 20, 2019 8:40 am

Because it reminds me of stuff like this:

Tons of cheap Chinese knockoff toys were often also miscolored, which makes it hard for me to escape the association :D

I'm getting the same impression from many Toei-original villains, especially in how they often tint the usually white Freeza force-esque gloves and boots with various hues. Hell, even SSj4 Vegeta's pale purple ones screamed this IMO.

Has anyone else made that association too?

Desassina

Re: Why I'm not fond of Vegeta's original anime color scheme

Post by Desassina » Mon May 20, 2019 2:04 pm

I'm not fond of Kaio-sama's colours in some manga volume that I can't find. Should you know it, post it for everyone to see, please.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:54 pm

Saturnine wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:40 am Because it reminds me of stuff like this:

Tons of cheap Chinese knockoff toys were often also miscolored, which makes it hard for me to escape the association :D

I'm getting the same impression from many Toei-original villains, especially in how they often tint the usually white Freeza force-esque gloves and boots with various hues. Hell, even SSj4 Vegeta's pale purple ones screamed this IMO.

Has anyone else made that association too?
No, Toei miscolored Vegeta's nowhere near as bad as things like that. I'm actually quite a fan of those colors, and I use them all the time in FighterZ.

In terms of Dragon Ball being colored like that in any official capacity, you should look at the Korean manga covers for some truly wonky colors, as can be see in this thread.

And here's an actual bootleg Chinese cover to complete things:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon May 20, 2019 8:03 pm

Those Korean covers are pretty rad ngl

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Tue May 21, 2019 8:13 am

Yep, those are pretty bad alright ;c

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed May 22, 2019 3:05 am

TheBigBoy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:03 pm Those Korean covers are pretty rad ngl
yea the blue gi and black undershirt looks freaking awesome.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Apollo Fungus

Post by Apollo Fungus » Wed May 22, 2019 1:13 pm

I'm mixed on the original colours. On the one hand, I think it's a bit too abrasive, with a few too many colours clamouring for your attention, and I think it was the best choice to change them when they did. But on the other hand, I kinda like it because it's one of those things that highlights the show's nature as an ongoing work of fiction, and how things can change at anytime. It's a bit hard to explain, but it's like how Dan Castellaneta's Homer Simpson voice used to be a Walter Matthau impression in the very early episodes before morphing into what it's been for the last 20+ years, or how the personalities of specific Looney Tunes changes depending on who's directing the short in question (Chuck Jones' Daffy Duck vs Bob Clampett's Daffy Duck, for example).

It can be a bit weird seeing how aspects we now consider ubiquitous could have been so different, but it's a pretty good jumping point for examining how these fictional works are put together, and perhaps looking at what circumstances led to them. (Personally, I'd argue that the infamous animation errors in Dragon Ball Super's 5th episode encouraged a lot more people to get interested in the discussion and subsequent appreciation of Dragon Ball's animation and animation production, and those errors especially highlighted the fictional nature of the series.)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri May 24, 2019 9:55 am

Metalwario64 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:54 pmImage
I actually kinda like Vegeta's color scheme on this one, looks very "regal", which is fitting given he's a prince.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.