Does DBS Have Replay Value Comparable To DB/DBZ?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Does DBS Have Replay Value Comparable To DB/DBZ?

Post by Nokra » Thu May 23, 2019 11:31 pm

Am curious as to others opinions and general consensus on how rewatchable the show (plus Broly film) is in comparison to its predecessors, especially several years or even decades in the future?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: Does DBS Have Replay Value Comparable To DB/DBZ?

Post by DHM211 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:17 am

Not to me. Unlike DB and Kai, where I have rewatched both series at least one additional time, I can't bring myself to rewatch all 131 episodes of Super. There are certainly a few phenomenal episodes that are rewatchable, but not the whole series. Episodes 107 - 118 would be the longest streak of episodes I could get through consecutively, followed by episodes 68 - 76. To me, episodes 19 - 46 of Super is probably the worst run of DB episodes. I can't think of one of these episodes that I actually love!

As for the Broly movie, I've seen it 4 times already, and plan on seeing it again this weekend, so take that as you will :lol: .

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Fri May 24, 2019 8:54 am

It has replay value, in my opinion, due to its media variety. You can sit back and watch Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F, read the manga chapters of the Universe 6 Tournament and Goku Black's arc, witness either version of the Tournament of Power, continue with DBS: Broly and Moro's arc, that you'll never be without the alternative. You can get a feel for what the concepts are, and they are interesting enough to warrant a second view, at least compared to the 90s content in the form of anime. I can only go back to the original manga and DB Kai: the Final Chapters due to its voice cast and Sumitomo providing the soundtrack.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 24, 2019 9:29 am

Except, maybe, Future Trunks saga, no, not at all. All it deserves is one going to Youtube to watch specific scenes that they liked. The retellings are better in the movies and watching tournaments again is a torture I don't want me and anyone else to endure.

As for Dragon Ball Super movie, yep, the first 25 minutes has a replay value. It's short unfortunately but very interesting and appealing.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:48 am

Select episodes no freaking doubt about it. Episodes 47, 66, 104-118 and 130/131 are episodes that I could rewatch time and time again.

As for binging the entire series from start to finish.... eh....

As for Dragon Ball, I think I could do that, and as for DBZ, I could only do that while watching Kai because Z has too much filler .

But to actually answer your question... unfortunately: no. I just don't get the same vibes watching DBS as I'd have watching DB and DBZ. Sure, DB and DBZ didn't always have the best visuals, but a lot of the visuals especially from BoG through the FT arcs are so wonky at times that it's kinda distracting. Not to mention some of the horrifically bad writing in some episodes. Again, DB and DBZ had their pretty bad moments regarding writing, but to me, DBS just tops the cake for the amount of facepalm moments I had from each series, so it kinda has less replay value, again, in my opinion.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 24, 2019 11:01 am

I don't think it does. I manage to re-watch the original DB (minus filler episodes and the first half of the RRA arc) and Kai (plus Z's TV specials) once every 2-3 years but I just can't see myself doing that with Super. Super without a doubt has some amazing aspects but its bad ones really bring the show down. The tournament of power arc for example is 50+ episodes long which is how long the Saiyan AND Namek arcs are in Kai yet the actual story is worth a fraction of that length. The BOG movie is the only thing I've added to my re-watch as its story is very well done and adds so much to Toriyama's original manga. RF, Broly, & Super have put a bigger focus on cool fight scenes than actual story and character development which bring their re-watchablity down for me.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri May 24, 2019 11:05 am

IMO yes, Super is comparable to DB/Z and even GT in this topic.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:38 pm

Not at all. I find myself going back to DB, Z and even GT time and time again but DBS I couldn’t be bothered to rewatch much of anything

Raimundo

Post by Raimundo » Fri May 24, 2019 12:58 pm

I think it does to an extent. Most of it isn’t for me but FT Saga all the way until the end I’ve re-watched a few times. I can’t rewatch all of Z as Cell saga gets too boring way too fast. Early DB and most of RRA is pretty meh anime wise to me.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 24, 2019 1:38 pm

Raimundo wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:58 pmEarly DB and most of RRA is pretty meh anime wise to me.
It's a lot easier and better to watch without the first hald of the RRA arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 27, 2019 3:20 pm

In the sense of "there are certain stretches of the show I will always go back to and several episodes I'll skip", yeah, sure.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon May 27, 2019 3:31 pm

No. I haven't re watched DB Super scenes like I did and do DB/DBZ. There is something about DBZ's tension, fluid animation, sound effects and score that just hard to still deny.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Wed May 29, 2019 6:33 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:29 am Except, maybe, Future Trunks saga, no, not at all. All it deserves is one going to Youtube to watch specific scenes that they liked. The retellings are better in the movies and watching tournaments again is a torture I don't want me and anyone else to endure.

As for Dragon Ball Super movie, yep, the first 25 minutes has a replay value. It's short unfortunately but very interesting and appealing.
Pretty much my answer.
I successfully rewatched, while enjoying it, the Future Trunks saga with my gf, but anything else, I rewatch only clips.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Thu May 30, 2019 2:56 pm

I've been rewatching DBS via the dubbed version, and I feel overall far less excited for it.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:00 pm

For me, it actually has much more replay value, except for the Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' sagas because they exist as a better version in movies.

The rest is the most rewatchable Dragon Ball has ever been, with sagas that are not too long (except for the Tournament of Power if you take it as a whole, but I consider it divided into pre-saga 77-97 and actual saga when the tournament begins, leaving barely more than 30 episodes, which is still short).

Plus, episodes are fascinating and every episode seems to move things forward more than even Kai ever did.
Even most filler episodes manage to be more interesting that the fillers from back then!

Finally, new characters and forms, along with the whole family/ensemble cast dynamic does help keeping things interesting at all times, including with the Tournament of Power and its thrilling "here are the eliminated candidates of the week" with variations in situations and fighters (snipers, invisible threats, alliances, pre-emptive strikes, unexpected duos-trios or more...).

I am rewatching them twice in a row as the French Blu-rays get released, once with the subtitles and once with the dub and I feel like I could easily go for a third round without even a break in-between! That's how rewatchable DBS is compared to the rest of the franchise. It is at a perfect point where the friends-families group is huge and still healthy, and everyone in that family gets a role to play, even simply with dialogues and daily mishaps. I don't get tired of that perfect group dynamic in action in fast-paced events that keep evolving, bringing welcome new characters, awesome new forms, better-than-ever fusions, and an expanded mythology so that it seems like DB-DBZ was just a demo of what the universe - or rather universes - actually contain and how the whole thing works, etc...

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:46 am

Yep.

Watched the subbed as it came out, and watching it on Toonami dubbed as it comes out.