Differences in FUNimation's movie dub(s)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Differences in FUNimation's movie dub(s)

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Tue May 21, 2019 4:42 pm

I've been wanting to find out, are they any differences between between the English track of the FUNimation Movie singles (naturally, after the in-house dub took over at Movie 4) and the "US Music" track found in the Double Feature sets? I know they swapped Kelly's narration for Hebert's for the Specials, but were there any other changes?

Kuwabara
Regular

Re: Differences in FUNimation's movie dub(s)

Post by Kuwabara » Fri May 24, 2019 10:38 pm

I'm not aware of every single change between the single releases and the double features, but one notable change in Cooler's Revenge involves how the music is mixed during Cooler and Goku's fight.

On the single release, the music is shifted down and warped slightly when Cooler and Goku are fighting underwater, then returned to normal when they both come back up for air. In the U.S. music audio track on the double feature release, the music plays back unchanged throughout the entire battle. If there were any other small touches like that with the music in the single releases, I imagine they were also nixed in the double features.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:27 pm

Metal Cooler had a voice filter in the single which was taken away in remastered version.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:13 am

Kuwabara wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:38 pm I'm not aware of every single change between the single releases and the double features, but one notable change in Cooler's Revenge involves how the music is mixed during Cooler and Goku's fight.

On the single release, the music is shifted down and warped slightly when Cooler and Goku are fighting underwater, then returned to normal when they both come back up for air. In the U.S. music audio track on the double feature release, the music plays back unchanged throughout the entire battle. If there were any other small touches like that with the music in the single releases, I imagine they were also nixed in the double features.
The music placement is all sorts of fucked in Movie 5's double feature release, even beyond that scene. Seems like they used an older mix b cause just about every song is placed a few seconds later or earlier than originally, aren't quite as synced toothed action, and cut off abruptly rather than fading out like it was originally.

Movie 4 was also a little off in sections but not to that degree. Movie 8 had no differences though.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:39 am

Another change in Cooler's Revenge is that Korin's last line was changed, rendering Yajirobe's reply (which was not changed) nonsensical.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat May 25, 2019 4:33 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:13 am
Kuwabara wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:38 pm I'm not aware of every single change between the single releases and the double features, but one notable change in Cooler's Revenge involves how the music is mixed during Cooler and Goku's fight.

The music placement is all sorts of fucked in Movie 5's double feature release, even beyond that scene. Seems like they used an older mix b cause just about every song is placed a few seconds later or earlier than originally, aren't quite as synced toothed action, and cut off abruptly rather than fading out like it was originally.

Movie 4 was also a little off in sections but not to that degree. Movie 8 had no differences though.
I think the music in Movie 5 was also much louder on the Remastered version, to the point that it made it hard to hear the dialogue.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon May 27, 2019 1:54 am

Phil Parsons redubbed all of Sabat’s lines as Nappa in Bardock.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 27, 2019 8:37 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:54 am Phil Parsons redubbed all of Sabat’s lines as Nappa in Bardock.
Wait Sabat voiced Nappa too?

At some point there had to have been a dub where Funimation had Sabat voicing literally every character including the female characters.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:52 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:54 am Phil Parsons redubbed all of Sabat’s lines as Nappa in Bardock.
Saba also redubbed his Zarbon lines.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler