About Vegeta's character arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

About Vegeta's character arc

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu May 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Generally, I prefer Vegeta's characterization in the manga. He seems more mature, without the obsession of overcoming Goku all the time (seen in the DBS anime), and without getting as if he was all the time irritated. Of course, this does not mean that Vegeta does not have great moments regarding character development in the anime, but like I said, I like manga more at that point

But there is an intriguing moment about the character in the manga, the ToP, during the battle against Jiren.

What do you think of this? At first, this seemed to me a regression of the character. He seems very similar to what he was in the Saga Cell terms of characterization, but if anyone has another vision about it...

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Re: About Vegeta's character arc

Post by Nokra » Thu May 23, 2019 6:21 pm

Theres no difference between manga and anime vegeta. toriyama wrote him that way in manga and toei followed unless you are talking about anime only filler?

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Thu May 23, 2019 6:46 pm

In the updated ending to the original manga, vegeta says "one day I will show you defeat Kakarot" which most of the fandom just ignores or has no idea of so the concession speech from Buu saga was thrown away by Toriyama himself. Make of that what you will

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu May 23, 2019 8:43 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:46 pm In the updated ending to the original manga, vegeta says "one day I will show you defeat Kakarot" which most of the fandom just ignores or has no idea of so the concession speech from Buu saga was thrown away by Toriyama himself. Make of that what you will
Yes, Vegeta still has the will to overcome Goku in both anime and manga, but it's not as obsessive as in Saga Cell. Not to mention that this goal has expanded, with Vegeta constantly mentioning that he now wants to be number one in the universe, beating Beerus and other GoDs.

So, at least for me, it was strange this dialogue he had with Jiren in the manga. And the point is not just that, it's the way to act. During the fight against the androids, Vegeta completely despises his companions and sees them as hindrances, and that has changed a lot now. This particular situation was very similar to Vegeta's way of acting on the Saga Cell, which I did not like very much. But as I said, Vegeta is usually better characterized in manga
Nokra wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:21 pm Theres no difference between manga and anime vegeta. toriyama wrote him that way in manga and toei followed unless you are talking about anime only filler?
Toriyama only writes drafts for Toyotaro and TOEI, supervising, giving ideas and changing some things. But anime and manga have to fill in the blank parts, sometimes giving their own interpretations of the characters.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri May 24, 2019 7:07 am

It just goes to show that Vegeta's zealous need to be self-determining without any input or help from others is as strong as ever. Taking advantage of Babidi's sorcery for power and agreeing to fuse with Goku are more outliers than anything. When it comes to training, the most he's generally been willing to accept is the setting. Although with Whis he did seem to loosen up some. It does sort of bother me that he isn't willing to pay some respect to Whis for helping build him up so much. "Prodigy" or not, Vegeta wouldn't have gotten where he's at now without Whis's tutelage.

Vegeta's rhetoric about training on his own doesn't even hold up when you look at his background. Judging by Cui's eagerness to be in the training room with Vegeta, it sounds like something they might have familiarised themselves with the activity in the past. Vegeta either doesn't remember this or he's being intentionally obtuse about certain details of his own past. Regardless, his comments here could be looked at as a regression of sorts. Having Ultra Instinct isn't necessary, but learning to turn to others for help without self-condemnation shouldn't be an issue for Vegeta.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri May 24, 2019 5:58 pm

This is also in the anime but cut short into just one sentence before the Final Flash i think, or was it before turning SSBE?
Anyway, I believe Vegeta is not letting himself get carried away with Goku's new level like he used to do in the past, he now knows better about himself and is not going to follow Goku's footsteps(in the anime he tries UI for a while and discards it later) like in the Cell arc or in the Buu arc when he gets so sensitive about SS3. No, now he actually has become the truly elite prodigy warrior he always boasted about, and his path is his own and decides to let go of what Whis was trying to teach them, he fully embraces what he always could rely on and with it reaches a new level, backing up what he could never do in Z because his mouth was bigger than his power level.
He acknowledges that he has reached a point where he doesn't need a master, he has seen enough to be his own master and decide for himself what approach would be best to improve even more.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat May 25, 2019 10:28 pm

Old habits die hard, even the epilogue of Z shows this.

Imagine you've finally caught up to Goku again, claiming there's nothing he can do that you can't, only for him to immediately surpass you. That was just another one of Vegeta's breaking points and perhaps his second realization, followed by some kind of self-coping mechanism. I wouldn't call it OOC, especially since he's been treated as the second fiddle during the tournament all throughout that time.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!