Fighterz 2 or Xenoverse 3 for 2020?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Fighterz 2 or Xenoverse 3 for 2020?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 19, 2019 2:27 pm

If Project Z Action RPG is our 2019 game, which game do you think will be our game for next year. Fighterz sold very well and did great with critics, so I do think a sequel is 100% given at this point. I would like to see Fighterz as our last game on the PS4/Xbox One and just have Xenoverse 3 be a crossgen release in 2021 similar how Xenoverse 1 for the PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox 4 and Switch.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Fighterz 2 or Xenoverse 3 for 2020?

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Sun May 19, 2019 3:41 pm

FIghterZ can take a back seat, we are overdue for Xenoverse 3. It can include a full ride from beginning of Z to the end of Super.

A massive roster boost full of GODs and TOP participants.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon May 20, 2019 3:59 am

Xenoverse 3 only if they actually commit to a major rehaul. I'd like a different graphics, better local multiplayer and most importantly the ending sequences post-fight actually being in motion.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 20, 2019 4:26 am

I think XV3 is more likely as there will have been 4 years between it and XV2 compared to 2.5 between Fighterz and its sequel.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:36 pm

Wait, I thought Project Z was the 2020 game?!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 26, 2019 7:40 pm

shadd21 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:36 pm Wait, I thought Project Z was the 2020 game?!
As of now that's going to release this fall.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:12 pm

As much as I've enjoyed X2, I want X3.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon May 27, 2019 11:03 am

The fact that Xenoverse 2 is STILL getting DLC, three years later, I doubt they're in the works for a new game in that style to be released as early as next year and it'll be silly for folks to expect it to be all that different from whats already available. The same thing with FighterZ, chances are we probably wont get the next DLC character for that game until just before EVO, and they'll most likely end season 2 and thus major support for the game by the end of the year wit the release of Blue Gogeta and New Broly simultaneously.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:57 pm

I'm sure I am the minority here but Xenoverse 2 was a huge let down for me. And as one person already mentioned, it's in need of a major, MAJOR overhaul.

Being able to create a character is great and everything but what if I don't want to? But the game forced me to do this just to unlock Goku as a mentor and just so I could start to customize him. Xenoverse 2 did not provide these options. They also give you this massive roster but force you to use your own character.

For all the fan service Xenoverse 2 had, along with TONS of content (which is great), there is not ONE mode where you can take CONTROL of your entire team. WHY?? Where are the 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3, 5 vs 5 battles?

The graphics were also some of the worst I have ever seen on a PS4.

What they really need to do? Is create a game LIKE Raging Blast, add in Xenoverse 2's customization, and then throw in the way Budokai Tenkaichi 3 handled transformations since the transformations in Xenoverse 2 were among the worst I've ever seen, as well as the limitations within this system. And there's your perfect game. Stop giving us 15 different Goku's.
All we need is one. One that can access ANY damn form he wants to (just like he could in the Tourney arc) and one Goku GT for the GT fans.

Done.
-Questrider

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:26 pm

I don't have a problem with FighterZ as it is, I might add other characters, stages, more DF, less requirements for doing DF but that's it. Xenoverse 2 is a different story.

There are many things I believe need fixing, like the AI. They are not there to help you, they won't save you from a beating or when your stamina is broken, but they sure will get in the way when you are landing an ultimate attack or performing a combo. This is more than annoying.
Also, I want to be able to choose which form my character will start the fight with. Or at least let me start with full ki so I can transform as soon as the game starts. One slot per character, customizable clothing (take off orange shirt, leave blue one, etc), techniques, and why not stats? waiting over a year to get MUI Goku fixed through a DLC, because he sucked, sounds like not the ideal way, specially if i'm paying for it.

2 vs 1 Fights. Right now the only way is to chose a weak character and let them get KO'd. The playability should be different too, it is nearly impossible to fight against two, no matter who they are. The franchise has many, many, many 2v1 fights, iconics as well. Even +2 v 1.

The graphics could be better, I didn't feel that much of a change from PS3 to PS4. No more static ending sequences, please, take them out if you are not going to improve them. And maybe cinematics like the DF from FighterZ, not just for the story mode. And the canon story mode wouldn't be unwelcomed either.

And don't get me started with the roster, why have possessed kid Buu and not Buutenks?(I could've said the same about Buuhan but they added him last year) why have possessed Omega Shenron and not Omega before absorbing the DBs? why have possessed Golden Freeza and not his previous forms? why possessed Cell and not his missing form? to follow that repetitive and boring story? or add them, I'm not against them, but give me the original characters I'm a fan of. I understand Golden Freeza and his second form aren't comparable, but they are still slots of the same character. Supervillain Janemba and not Fat Janemba, Supervillain Broly and not his previous form. If I have to choose I'm going with Toriyama's creations.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:05 am

FighterZ is a better game especially if you're half way decent at it!
I would love a more complex FighterZ especially in the combo department.

Xenoverse just get's boring fast...
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:58 pm

XV2 as it exists now is what should've been released in 2016. Xenoverse 2 + DLC is close to having as many characters as the later Tenkaichi games. It only became passable as a game with all of the DLC. And even then, there are many problems with the gameplay and basic game design. Simply getting more characters can't fix a bad fighting system— the reason why Tenkaichi 3 is still so fondly remembered is because the basic fighting system still works, not just because you could play as just about any character from the series.

Of course, I give DBZ games a pass because they historically have been halfway to shovelware, where they tended to cycle through certain quirky and often useless gameplay gimmicks just to justify their existence due to lacking a real budget (of which Xenoverse's CaC was). It's only in 2016 or so that Dragon Ball as an IP really started getting that kinds of profits that could fund a major game, and you can tell that Xenoverse 2 came out on the cusp of that age.
Xenoverse 1 shares a shitload of the same kind of jank that made DBZ games from Burst Limit to Battle of Z feel mediocre. It's like they decided to retry Ultimate Tenkaichi but do the Hero Mode as the entire package while also making a fighting system that wasn't trash. They worked with the budget they had and made a product that, by 2000s DBZ game standards, was actually pretty good, but by late 2010s DBZ game standards is completely barebones. Then it wound up being the biggest hit in the game franchise since the Budokai series.
XV2 came out right as the Goku Black arc was at it peak and DB hype was bigger than it had been in 20 years. Super had just found its feet; the first few arcs didn't set the world on fire besides the sheer shock of seeing new Dragon Ball material on TV (which admittedly does feel magical). So they barely had a larger budget and it was a cost-saving measure to just reuse Xenoverse 1 and do some enhancements. After all, that's how Budokai & Tenkaichi & Raging Blast developed. Except Xenoverse was a mediocre game made during a mediocre era of DBZ games, one made when standards were lower and we couldn't realistically expect much. Its fighting system is serviceable. Not wretched or broken. Just serviceable. We're used to "serviceable."

Between Xenoverse 2 and now, Dragon Ball as an IP became worth over a billion dollars thanks to all the sales of merchandise, Xenoverse, Dokkan Battle, FighterZ, etc. FighterZ wound up becoming the first "AAA"-tier Dragon Ball game complete with a serious tournament scene and very high reviews, and Kakarot actually looks like a competent ARPG rather than just a "Dragon Ball RPG". And oh yeah, we got an actual international blockbuster movie in the series. One which made over $100 million. There are actual standards now.

Also: there was a 1 year gap between Xenoverse 1 and 2. In the early 2000s, that's all you needed to make a good follow up. But in modern times, that was way too quick of a turnover. It's been 3 years since Xenoverse 2's release. Either they've spent that time making a damn solid follow up or that's been spent on Z: Kakarot.

If the latter is true, then going with FighterZ 2 is the obvious choice just to not dilute attention so completely.

I'd rather Xenoverse 3 because the ability to create a character is the biggest draw, BUT... there are so many things they'd have to change to go along with it. We all want to play as the cast as well, and we want to edit those characters as well. The character creation/editing system needs expansion as well.
And that's just the core gimmick of the series.

In that regard, they ought to get on with a proper Xenoverse 3 just to modernize everything.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:42 pm

I think XV3 should be a higher priority, and not just because I like that game better than FighterZ. FighterZ is, I hear, a very competently made fighting game (although that's not a genre I often play), and it has very nice graphics that imitate the style of the anime very well despite being 3D. But the reason I think XV3 needs a sequel more is because of what it is sequels are supposed to accomplish.

Sequels make tweaks to the mechanics, hopefully providing a better experience than in the previous games. XV3 has a ton of room for improvement. While I do enjoy the game, it is lacking in a number of areas, and I'd like to see improvements made in those areas. DLCs usually don't address those sort of problems. While some players of FighterZ who know the mechanics of the game better than I do might be able to suggest changes, those changes would likely not be as dramatic because the fighting game genre is so well established, and they did it so well on their first try in FighterZ.

Another reason to create a sequel is to give the series a new story, and a bigger one than DLC can provide. While this has started to change with recent titles, fighting games don't typically put much emphasis on the story. FighterZ was no exception to the rule, with the story mostly consisting of fighting clones of characters while the plot is being drip fed to the player. Xenoverse has a lot of untapped potential when it comes to storytelling with its time travel and alternate timelines.

Graphics are another reason sequels happen. Xenoverse and Xenoverse 2 were a console generation apart, and do have noticeable improvements in the graphical department. Xenoverse 2 definitely isn't the best looking game of its generation, however, and has a lot of room for improvement. FighterZ, on the other hand, looks great. I don't see much room for improvement there.

The main way to improve a fighting game is by adding new characters, which is something that is easily done with DLC. It can become a problem, however, when the list of DLC becomes so long that it intimidates new players. This, I think, will probably be the main reason FighterZ 2 will eventually happen; to start over fresh and invite new players. It would be a bit premature to do that now, I think. Maybe after the next generation (PS5 and such) release.