What was the point of the large guard that Daimao kills inside King's castle?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tavarano
Not-So-Newbie

What was the point of the large guard that Daimao kills inside King's castle?

Post by Tavarano » Tue May 28, 2019 9:20 pm

Neither a gag, neither a worf effect, doesn't give any informations, seems weird to give him so much exposition.
Akira Toriyama wrote:As a rule, there is no such thing as a theme in my work.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: What was the point of the large guard that Daimao kills inside King's castle?

Post by Danfun64 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:06 pm

Was it in the manga? If not, the obvious answer is that it's filler and doesn't mean anything.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: What was the point of the large guard that Daimao kills inside King's castle?

Post by Fionordequester » Tue May 28, 2019 11:30 pm

His name is "A Giant Man". You can see that in the title here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roRpYuuDong

Just so you know :D !
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed May 29, 2019 12:10 am

Tavarano wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:20 pm neither a worf effect
A what?

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed May 29, 2019 12:18 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:10 am A what?
You take someone who's supposed to be a skilled fighter, and have them lose to whichever you're trying to hype up that day. For example, Vegeta ends up doing this a lot.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed May 29, 2019 5:42 am

Tavarano wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:20 pm Neither a gag, neither a worf effect, doesn't give any informations, seems weird to give him so much exposition.
In manga, he just show up after Piccolo entered castle and killed couple guards, he was supposed to be last line of defense.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu May 30, 2019 3:42 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:18 am
You take someone who's supposed to be a skilled fighter, and have them lose to whichever you're trying to hype up that day. For example, Vegeta ends up doing this a lot.

Oh, it’s one of those asinine tv tropers invented terms that plagued the internet. Got it.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:16 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:42 pm

Oh, it’s one of those asinine tv tropers invented terms that plagued the internet. Got it.
I absolutely hate how 90% of the internet uses that site as an authority on terminology, and if you don't religiously browse that site up and down it just gets confusing when people bring up terms they coined so often.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu May 30, 2019 7:04 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:16 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:42 pm

I absolutely hate how 90% of the internet uses that site as an authority on terminology, and if you don't religiously browse that site up and down it just gets confusing when people bring up terms they coined so often.

.....marry me?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu May 30, 2019 8:31 pm

I like TV Tropes.

Oh, sorry, thought this was the Unpopular Opinions Thread.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu May 30, 2019 9:05 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:31 pm I like TV Tropes.

Pretty sure on this forum liking tv tropes is the popular opinion.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu May 30, 2019 9:45 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:05 pm
KBABZ wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:31 pm I like TV Tropes.
Pretty sure on this forum liking tv tropes is the popular opinion.
Not in my experience! Despite that though I try to at least explain what the trope is just in case, especially if it isn't obvious. Worf Effect is named after the character from Star Trek: The Next Generation for example because he was often put in that role, being the tough guy who gets defeated to show the opposition means business. Dragon Ball also is the "trope namer" for a few examples too, such as From a Single Cell (being able to regenerate from, well, a single cell).

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Fri May 31, 2019 6:42 am

I'd say the point of the character is to make the King realize that fleeing - something he'd really rather not do - is his only option because neither guns nor big brawly dudes can stop Piccolo.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:50 am

Dude, I LOVE TV Tropes! I spend a lot of time looking over it, and seeing what tropes it could fall into. I don't always agree with the tropers' decisions, but, they usually DO at least help me look at things in a different way.

Anyway, I think A Giant Man was there mostly for filler. His section in the story is somewhat odd, as far as storytelling goes.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:41 am

Fionordequester wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:50 am Dude, I LOVE TV Tropes! I spend a lot of time looking over it, and seeing what tropes it could fall into. I don't always agree with the tropers' decisions, but, they usually DO at least help me look at things in a different way.
I've actually gone through and added a fair few things to the various Trope pages it appears on, usually providing more accurate/authentic quotes, or providing the Japanese name alongside the English one. I'm also the reason why Dragon Ball's section on Edible Theme Naming is so long!