Is this Toriyama Signature legit?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matchstckgmr

Is this Toriyama Signature legit?

Post by Matchstckgmr » Thu May 30, 2019 3:55 am

Hi first literal post on the Kanzenshuu forums for me. So quick question I was wondering if anyone here can verify if a signature done by Toriyama is legit or fake. I have someone claiming he got an item signed by Toriyama he did not claim he himself met Toriyama and got it signed by him only that the item is legit signed by Toriyama. Problem is as of typing this last event I can remember Toriyama attending was something in Germany. Beyond that he has not attended any events fans could attend I am sure he has obviously met up with folks over at Toei and Jump for business stuff here and there but the man rarely leaves his house from my understanding. Anyways that all said I am by no means an expert when it comes to verifying if a signature is legit or not but I can tell it says his name but something looks off about it to me personally. So if anyone here is maybe capable of comparing it against other confirmed legit signatures I would appreciate it I just want to know if it's real or fake. Again it says his name but something looks off about it is all. Like to also say it's possibly a fake he got off like a site like eBay claiming its a legit item.(in case the image link below does not work here is the image viewer link https://i.ibb.co/19KTzM3/Fake-or-Real.jpg)

Last edited by Matchstckgmr on Thu May 30, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: Is this Toriyama Signature legit?

Post by mute_proxy » Thu May 30, 2019 4:14 am

Toriyama uses rounder loops, this one is signed very "sharply", I think it's fake. I have a "sharp" signature as well, and when I try imitating someone else, round loops are troublesome. And if it's an eBay purchase and doesn't cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars, you know it's fake.

Matchstckgmr

Post by Matchstckgmr » Thu May 30, 2019 4:42 am

mute_proxy wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:14 am Toriyama uses rounder loops, this one is signed very "sharply", I think it's fake. I have a "sharp" signature as well, and when I try imitating someone else, round loops are troublesome. And if it's an eBay purchase and doesn't cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars, you know it's fake.
I talked to a friend of mine and he said quote "There is a slight vagary in the 'ri' character, which is the second from the left. It's conjoined with 'ya' when it shouldn't be." So I am not the only one that thought it looked off can't wait to see what others here say. I don't know if anyone here on Kanzenshuu is a person capable of verifying signatures like those guys on that show what was it called.....oh yeah Pawn Stars

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu May 30, 2019 4:58 am

Matchstckgmr wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:42 am I don't know if anyone here on Kanzenshuu is a person capable of verifying signatures like those guys on that show what was it called.....oh yeah Pawn Stars
Let me call an expert in items signed by Akira Toriyama...

Just kidding :lol:

Now going on-topic, comparing it with this signature you can find in Wikipedia:

Hmm... probably fake. Some symbols don't look right in that item.

Matchstckgmr

Post by Matchstckgmr » Thu May 30, 2019 5:01 am

Tian wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:58 am
Matchstckgmr wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:42 am I don't know if anyone here on Kanzenshuu is a person capable of verifying signatures like those guys on that show what was it called.....oh yeah Pawn Stars
Let me call an expert in items signed by Akira Toriyama...

Just kidding :lol:

Now going on-topic, comparing it with this signature you can find in Wikipedia:

Hmm... probably fake. Some symbols don't look right in that item.
Lol be funny if we actually had such an expert among us that aside okay so that's counting me 4 people questioning it. Hope this fills with people saying fake cause I feel fairly sure it is fake.

Matchstckgmr

Post by Matchstckgmr » Thu May 30, 2019 6:30 am

This has me thinking it be cool if Kanzenshuu on the main site could have a whole area dedicated to having images of official Toriyama signatures that way we would have a massive archive of them(assuming he has signed a lot of stuff the public can get ahold of). We can then use all these to compare any new ones that pop up claiming to be real and see if there is a common thing Toriyama does in all his signatures. I doubt its always 100% the same every time but surely he has a style and certain way of connecting characters. Then again maybe it's not worth Kanzenshuu making an area for that its not as important as interviews for example.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Fri May 31, 2019 3:05 pm

I've always wondered, are there even any autograph authentication services in Japan like there are in America? I know PSA has an office in Japan, but I think that's mainly just for grading trading cards. I'd be interested to know about cel/genga/douga authentication as well. Obviously forgeries are rampant throughout the world, but that seems like such a dishonorable thing to do within a culture like Japan's.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Matchstckgmr

Post by Matchstckgmr » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:47 am

Kuwabara wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:05 pm I've always wondered, are there even any autograph authentication services in Japan like there are in America? I know PSA has an office in Japan, but I think that's mainly just for grading trading cards. I'd be interested to know about cel/genga/douga authentication as well. Obviously forgeries are rampant throughout the world, but that seems like such a dishonorable thing to do within a culture like Japan's.
I would imagine such a service is a thing in Japan. That said faking something like this would be dishonorable but fakes are made everywhere a guy in China could have faked this signature for all I know.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:44 am

Hm. I never even though about this, but if one spells his or her name in Kanji, do they sign in Hiragana? Interesting.