"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Sani007 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:55 am

One Piece: new movie + new saga with Nagamine and a new character designer

Dragon Ball: nothing.... ow wait, we have a new commercial (with Yamamuro's character designs)

https://twitter.com/toshiba_vegeta/stat ... goN358hnKU

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:50 am

It's almost like things change and while the information one person gets can be credible the fact is business plans are fluid.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:09 am

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:46 pm Lol at the One Piece reasoning, they've known when this movie was coming out for a long ass time and now all of a sudden Toei is worried about its shine being stolen?
The OP thing is even more of a dumb reasoning because a) DB & OP are not competing. b) A TV show & a movie are non competing mediums. c) OP has it's own new arc starting in its tv series in July so why the hell would anyone think DBS got delayed for the OP movie :lol:
Sani007 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:55 am One Piece: new movie + new saga with Nagamine and a new character designer

Dragon Ball: nothing.... ow wait, we have a new commercial (with Yamamuro's character designs)

We just a had a new movie and OP currently has actual source material to y'know work with.

Seriously fans I think have become spoilt with all the new material we got when a massive movie released 6 months ago isn't enough...

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:25 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:09 am
Sani007 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:55 am One Piece: new movie + new saga with Nagamine and a new character designer

We just a had a new movie and OP currently has actual source material to y'know work with.

Seriously fans I think have become spoilt with all the new material we got when a massive movie released 6 months ago isn't enough...
Yes, it was last year and it was only 100 minutes. But worse is that since then the production of Dragon Ball has stopped.
I sincerely envy you if that's enough for you, but unfortunately for me that's not enough.

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:41 pm

The OP thing is even more of a dumb reasoning because a) DB & OP are not competing. b) A TV show & a movie are non competing mediums. c) OP has it's own new arc starting in its tv series in July so why the hell would anyone think DBS got delayed for the OP movie :lol:
Yeah... well, I'm not sure Geekdom's necessarily wrong about that being Toei's reasoning, but if that IS why Toei's been holding back on a Super announcement, I think the company's reasoning's pretty flawed. I'm no marketing expert, but I don't think people would be any less pumped about a One Piece movie if new Dragon Ball Super eps were announced more or less concurrently.
Haha, maybe, maybe. The Broly film's left a lot of people salivating for more, I will say that!

Anyway, I'm glad Geekdom made this new video summing up the whole thing. I doubt he ever meant to mislead anyone, but he seemed so sure we'd get that May announcement, that when the day came and gone and we didn't hear from him about the subject, it did take me by surprise. His tone in the video surprised me also, as I thought it was going to be apologetic like Ajay's, but I'm sure Geekdom's dealt with no small amount of verbal abuse over the whole thing. And I do admire all the effort he's put into trying to get it right: even if not all the info he's received has been accurate, he's definitely done the legwork by consulting as many sources close to the situation as he could.

I guess it's just a waiting game now...

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:28 am

I honestly just hate the fact that they might be pushing super back just because of one piece. I get the feeling if it was the other way around they wouldn't care.

I honestly just dislike how toei has such a huge franchise success like dragon ball but don't take many opportunities with it. They push it aside for other smaller franchises.

Like seriously how come my hero, promise Neverland, attack on Titan, get confirmations of more to come way before the seasons ends but dragon ball can't even get a confirmation of being worked on in anyway.

Honestly I just hate how companies like Disney are willing to push for their own franchises so much but toei can't even do the same for dragon ball when it really matters.

It's like dragon ball keeps getting the short end of the stick or is owned by a company that could care less for it.

If you disagree that's fine I'm just letting out my frustrations.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:05 am

I feel like I'm the only one who really doesn't care if DBS doesn't come back. It'll just be more of the time stagant storytelling with no actual growth, and likely retell the Broly movie with worse animation which was the biggest plus for that movie anyway.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:07 am

Limit-Breaking wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:28 am
Like seriously how come my hero, promise Neverland, attack on Titan, get confirmations of more to come way before the seasons ends but dragon ball can't even get a confirmation of being worked on in anyway.
Toei doesn't animate those series. A weekly series is a totally different beast than a 1-2 cour series too.

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:16 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:07 am
Limit-Breaking wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:28 am
Toei doesn't animate those series. A weekly series is a totally different beast than a 1-2 cour series too.
Yeah i know they don't animate it i was referring to how those types a series always getting confirmations of the next seasons before they even end but dragon ball can't even get a hint of actually being worked on.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:30 pm

I saw that Geekdom posted a video. At first I thought it was pretty cool and mature of him to address the situation, but I read a summary and it sounds like he didn't even apologize and repeated that Super is coming back in July. Does he just expect it to be announced in June or something?

And did it really have to be 13 minutes long?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Limit-Breaking wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:16 amYeah i know they don't animate it i was referring to how those types a series always getting confirmations of the next seasons before they even end but dragon ball can't even get a hint of actually being worked on.
In my opinion, Toei is being pretty cautious.

They probably do not want situations like Sailor Moon Crystal or Digimon Adventure Tri (where there were delays to the dates Toei announced) to happen with Dragon Ball Super.

I mean Super 2 seems to be delayed too, but Toei hasn't announced this time. So, it was a good move from them.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:57 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:05 am I feel like I'm the only one who really doesn't care if DBS doesn't come back. It'll just be more of the time stagant storytelling with no actual growth, and likely retell the Broly movie with worse animation which was the biggest plus for that movie anyway.
While Super has some stagnant sections, acting like there was no growth at all is just false. Especially with Broly, regardless of your feelings about the movie itself, showed a lot of growth for his character. The same goes for a lot of secondary characters like Hit, Cali, Cabba, and even Rib. Heck, Zamasu had growth, in the opposite direction to become a villain.

I think some people think if the main characters don't grow, then no growth happens which is fundamentally false. Especially with other classic animes that had secondary characters have a lot of growth, both positive and negative, while the main characters remain mostly the same like Fist of the North Star.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:22 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:30 pm I saw that Geekdom posted a video. At first I thought it was pretty cool and mature of him to address the situation, but I read a summary and it sounds like he didn't even apologize and repeated that Super is coming back in July. Does he just expect it to be announced in June or something?

And did it really have to be 13 minutes long?
I saw the video as well but i believe geekdom say's there's no confirmation date as far as he knows.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:49 pm

HeroR wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:57 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:05 am I feel like I'm the only one who really doesn't care if DBS doesn't come back. It'll just be more of the time stagant storytelling with no actual growth, and likely retell the Broly movie with worse animation which was the biggest plus for that movie anyway.
While Super has some stagnant sections, acting like there was no growth at all is just false. Especially with Broly, regardless of your feelings about the movie itself, showed a lot of growth for his character. The same goes for a lot of secondary characters like Hit, Cali, Cabba, and even Rib. Heck, Zamasu had growth, in the opposite direction to become a villain.

I think some people think if the main characters don't grow, then no growth happens which is fundamentally false. Especially with other classic animes that had secondary characters have a lot of growth, both positive and negative, while the main characters remain mostly the same like Fist of the North Star.
The characters look and act exactly the same from DBS episode 1 to DBS episode 131. Not really growth at all, considering this series in the past constantly had growth and the characters changing.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:15 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:05 amI feel like I'm the only one who really doesn't care if DBS doesn't come back. It'll just be more of the time stagant storytelling with no actual growth, and likely retell the Broly movie with worse animation which was the biggest plus for that movie anyway.
Despite my recent participation in a specific discussion here. I, too, don't care whether Dragon Ball Super returns or not, which is why I haven't made any speculation post, nor engaged in any conversation regarding the new series and what I hope for it.

Dragon Ball Super was terrible and if all they wanted was just to retell and make tournaments, then it would be better to stay "dead". The same applies for this moment. If they are going to continue the series as well as continuing to make the same mistakes, then there is really no point in any of this. And I, too, feel the stagnant issue. We're stuck in AGE 778-780, characters (mainly Goten, Trunks and Marron) don't change and the story (is there any?) is not helping either.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:23 pm

w-wait....If you don't care whether or not Super returns why would you go on an announcement/discussion thread about it?

On a side note: Is June just a dead month?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:25 pm

In my case, because I like to see what people are discussing. There are a lot of threads here that I just lurk, and many of them I don't actually make any post. Notice that my only conversation was regarding this mess thing that was going on, which I had something to say about it.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:06 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:49 pmconsidering this series in the past constantly had growth and the characters changing.
Wouldn't really count it when that 'growth' is mostly unnatural, off screen and just excuses to extend the plot.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:32 pm

Kanassa wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:06 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:49 pmconsidering this series in the past constantly had growth and the characters changing.
Wouldn't really count it when that 'growth' is mostly unnatural, off screen and just excuses to extend the plot.
That’s a pretty lame excuse if I ever heard one.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:33 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:49 pm The characters look and act exactly the same from DBS episode 1 to DBS episode 131. Not really growth at all, considering this series in the past constantly had growth and the characters changing.
Changes and character development aren't the same thing, though. A series like One Piece has solid character development and yet the core characters still act basically the same, almost a thousand chapters later, and only went through one single design change over 22 years. They don't need to go through any other radical change to reflect that.
Anyway, Goku's cycle of development pretty much ended after he grew up, came back from Kami's place and let Piccolo go. He has been at his core the same guy ever since. What we've gotten after that are just small glimpses of development, like realizing Gohan wasn't a natural born fighter. Or even in Super, when he was reflecting about being a grandpa, for instance.