Did the franchise ever POSITIVELY affect you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Re: Did the franchise ever POSITIVELY affect you?

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:51 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:14 pm It helped me meet the people who helped me realize that I was a girl, pansexual and queer as fuck.
Best response so far. Congratulations, girl! :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:07 pm

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:51 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:14 pm It helped me meet the people who helped me realize that I was a girl, pansexual and queer as fuck.
Best response so far. Congratulations, girl! :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh dear me, thank you.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:24 pm

WE LOVE YOU JULIE-CHAN!

And no. Not sarcasm.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:12 pm

It made me fall in love with anime and manga in general, and had that not happened, I most likely would have sunk into depression much sooner and would probably be dead right now.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:16 pm

Considering I wouldn't have met my best friend/fiance if it wasn't for the franchise, much less have become a fan of anime and manga which, alongside novels, are probably my favorite forms of entertainment if I really sat down and thought about it, then yeah - I think you could definitely say the franchise has had a positive effect on me.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:12 pm It made me fall in love with anime and manga in general, and had that not happened, I most likely would have sunk into depression much sooner and would probably be dead right now.
You are being sarcastic, or is that actually true/real? I don't mean to offend you with this question.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:22 pm

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:42 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:12 pm It made me fall in love with anime and manga in general, and had that not happened, I most likely would have sunk into depression much sooner and would probably be dead right now.
You are being sarcastic, or is that actually true/real? I don't mean to offend you with this question.
I'm being genuine. I have a lot issues, and the wonderful escapism that Dragon Ball, and subsequently dozens upon dozens of different anime and manga had provided, has played -- and is still currently playing -- a major role in keeping from going over the edge.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:35 pm

It put me in a good mood a lot of the time and that counts a whole lot in my book.

But in a more specific fashion - nothing has influenced my paneling style as much as DB, not to mention my art in general, and I got quite a few opportunities because of this.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:01 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:22 pm
Paulo Gabriel wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:42 pm
I'm being genuine. I have a lot issues, and the wonderful escapism that Dragon Ball, and subsequently dozens upon dozens of different anime and manga had provided, has played -- and is still currently playing -- a major role in keeping from going over the edge.
Hear you. I've been through a lot of issues lately as well. I hope you keep feeling better. But also get your problems resolved, not merely escaped.

P.S.: I know this is off-topic, I am just being kind to a fellow Kanzenshuu-er.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:31 pm

I think he knows and that you dont need to tell him. I know its seen as "I use cartoons to escape reality lol" but try seeing it more as "Dragon Ball gives me a coping mechanism for the problems in my life, but I do know its not a catch all solution".
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:35 am

I'm still alive and breathing.... so yeah you could say something like that.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:06 am

Yes. It inspired me to work hard and to never give up, that no goal is too high, that past mistakes aren’t life sentences and that failure happens and is part of the process to winning.

I was never the most talented person but the theme that hard work overcomes talent always resonated with me and helped me push through my limits, be them physical or mental, to become a better person.
Dragon Ball inspired me, ever since I was young, to aim for constant improvement.

Some results I have reached only I know how much sweat and time costed me. It’s funny because most people only stop at surface level, without being able to gauge that (apart from a few exceptions of course) what one achieves isn’t granted, has never been and is most likely the result of hard work, resiliency, work ethic, passion etcetera. I don’t like when people immediately jump to conclusions about talent, favorable genetics or what not.
Which is why I will always appreciate the awesome (and not necessarily above average talented) people like artists, sports professionals and virtually any person who has reached the highest levels of expertise in a certain area. Talent alone doesn’t get people to the top. And talent is such a buzzword. The greatest athletes of all times must have spent hours upon hours, ever since they were kids, honing their abilities and improving.

It’s funny because this is the same kind of argument that comes up when people try to downplay Goku’s achievements, despite the series always making it clear that in a universe where some are born with immense natural potential he never had the same privilege and had to work hard all his life to get to where he is.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 am

It helped me make a lot of friends in the lgbtqia+ao community.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:39 am

Jord wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 am It helped me make a lot of friends in the lgbtqia+ao community.
I mean this in the most respectful way possible but what does the last ao even mean?

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:47 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:39 am
Jord wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 am It helped me make a lot of friends in the lgbtqia+ao community.
I mean this in the most respectful way possible but what does the last ao even mean?
And others.
I made friends all across the spectrum. I didn't want to exclude anyone.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:18 am

ShaneisMC wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:35 am I'm still alive and breathing.... so yeah you could say something like that.
I meant in a more active rathen than passive way. :lol:

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:18 am
ShaneisMC wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:35 am I'm still alive and breathing.... so yeah you could say something like that.
Helped prevent me from committing suicide or hurting myself in some way or another on multiple occasions throughout my life. That count for better phrasing?

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:30 am

ShaneisMC wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:35 pm
Helped prevent me from committing suicide or hurting myself in some way or another on multiple occasions throughout my life. That count for better phrasing?
I am sorry. I thought you were mocking my post, in part due to the lack of detail provided by your post. Nevertheless, I apologize for the terrible reading. Although I'm no theraphist, PM me if you want to talk about anything-- DB related or not. :)

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:20 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:30 am

I am sorry. I thought you were mocking my post, in part due to the lack of detail provided by your post. Nevertheless, I apologize for the terrible reading. Although I'm no theraphist, PM me if you want to talk about anything-- DB related or not. :)
I'm working on a doctorate in psych myself and also actively see a psychiatrist as well. It's all good mate. I'm not the hyper sensitive type like a lot of people these days can be. No need to apologize or anything. It's allllll cool. :thumbup:

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:00 pm

ShaneisMC wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:20 am
Paulo Gabriel wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:30 am

I'm working on a doctorate in psych myself and also actively see a psychiatrist as well. It's all good mate. I'm not the hyper sensitive type like a lot of people these days can be. No need to apologize or anything. It's allllll cool. :thumbup:
Good to know, mate. Hope the best for you. :thumbup: