"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:30 pm I bet the Moro saga from the Manga will get adapted into a movie.
Depending on when the movie comes out [doesn't seem soon] I wouldn't be surprised if this supposed new movie continues from the Moro arc [As well as the arc after Moro. Depending on time frame].
Last edited by Miracles on Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:09 pm

I'm fine with a movie. I just hope they don't pull another Universe 7 villain out of nowhere again.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:13 pm

I'd be shocked if the semi-cliffhanger of Freeza saying he'll go after Broly once he's been "domesticated" didn't play into the new film. It'd be really weird if the manga of all things picked that plotline up.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:29 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:13 pm I'd be shocked if the semi-cliffhanger of Freeza saying he'll go after Broly once he's been "domesticated" didn't play into the new film. It'd be really weird if the manga of all things picked that plotline up.
Everyone thought the BOG sequel would pick up the multiverse plot point only for it to go into a completely different direction with Freeza while the anime picked up that plot point. I could be wrong but I think a movie is more likely to do something else while the anime's potential sequel will pick up whatever plot point that was left over from the previous movie.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:41 pm

I bet the youtubers/insiders who claimed super would return in july will just pretend like they knew about movie being in the works the whole time/it was a miscommunication with their "source"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:51 pm

I don't know how much money people make off of being YouTubers; I presume it's enough to make a living for the very popular. This delay/change of plans doesn't help them either. Kind of forces them into filler mode wouldn't it? Since they'd still need content to earn a living.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:01 pm

sintzu wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:18 am
mfwlegend3 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:55 amJust please... pleeeeaaaasssseee don't let nostalgia be a driving force for these movies. I want something new.
Broly made more than BOG and RF put together so I highly doubt they won't do something nostalgic. Broly's massive success has shown them that fans simply want more of the same which is what we'll most likely get. It's only a matter of time before Cell and Cooler are back and if I had to bet on it I'd say the next movie will be about one of them.
Given Cell's domestic popularity, he is probably the furthest thing from their mind.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:11 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:01 pm
sintzu wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:18 am
mfwlegend3 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:55 amJust please... pleeeeaaaasssseee don't let nostalgia be a driving force for these movies. I want something new.
Broly made more than BOG and RF put together so I highly doubt they won't do something nostalgic. Broly's massive success has shown them that fans simply want more of the same which is what we'll most likely get. It's only a matter of time before Cell and Cooler are back and if I had to bet on it I'd say the next movie will be about one of them.
Given Cell's domestic popularity, he is probably the furthest thing from their mind.
True, but it seems they are taking into account other regions for the franchise going on into the future. I wouldn't be surprised if they're taken western feedback on character popularity and not just Japan's anymore with the international success of Broly. The fact that they felt the need to add Cell in Jump Force kinda showed me that they are aiming somewhat towards western audiences. If Cell does get a movie or comes back to the show, expect for him to be paired up with a popular villain for Japan like Frieza, maybe even Cooler? Idk, but I think he'd be better received in a secondary villain role.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:13 pm

I guess a canon version of Coola is not impossible. Since Broli did so well, doing Coola would make sense since he is the second most popular Toei movie villain.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:41 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:41 pm I bet the youtubers/insiders who claimed super would return in july will just pretend like they knew about movie being in the works the whole time/it was a miscommunication with their "source"
Well, most of the insiders are people who work at Toei. And they gave info to specifically Geekdom, Ajay, and Yonkou. And no, none of those 3 have claimed that there was a miscommunication, neither are they taking any credit. Although Geek does kinda say that he heard about a movie, lol.

But you know the rule about assuming...
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:58 pm

I would prefer that the Moro saga will be something exclusive to the manga for more artistic freedom from both toei/toyo

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:27 pm

If Cell does comeback his new transformation will be Spotless Cell

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:42 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/ToeiAnimatio ... 2698987520

Perhaps something's about to go down?

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:46 pm

Araki wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:42 pm https://mobile.twitter.com/ToeiAnimatio ... 2698987520

Perhaps something's about to go down?
If this is the movie then it's really weird they let it slip casually in conversation and now are trying to do a hyped up reveal.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:55 pm

I'm down for the series continuing through high-quality movies from now on. But I'm not gonna lie... I do kinda miss waking up every Sunday morning and watching a new episode of Dragon Ball Super.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:28 pm

I hope we get something new to watch, if the only thing we get is a new movie that didn't even start production yet, then we are going to have to wait an eternity....

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:32 pm

1. The Expo ends in Thursday, doesn't it?

2. When does Dragon Ball usually announce their new content during the Expo?

3. Should I expect a trailer or some pictures or something?

4. Anything video game (not heroes) related?

5. Where does this take place?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:43 pm

Well, before a new DB series was announced, two films were released (BoG and RoF)

Anyway, I do not like the idea of just telling stories from movies, since DB usually always had multiple media covering arcs. Yes, the quality of animation is much higher, but we can not always say the same for story quality, since many things are cut because the film is short. DBS Broly is a completely fanservice film and in terms of storytelling does not add much to the series, it is almost entirely from battles and many relationships shown at the beginning of the film are not explored afterwards.

But considering the success that this movie did, TOEI will probably continue to bet on recycling old characters who have a big fanbase and simply make them extremely powerful for the heroes

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:27 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:32 pm
1. The Expo ends in Thursday, doesn't it?

2. When does Dragon Ball usually announce their new content during the Expo?

3. Should I expect a trailer or some pictures or something?

4. Anything video game (not heroes) related?

5. Where does this take place?
I can anwser some of those: yeah, it ends next Thursday and it's in Las Vegas.
Usually companies bring their newest stuff to show the licensors, and since they're giving Dragon Ball a spotlight, one would think they will have something new to show - I mean, every known DB content was introduced to all the major markets already.

We can also catch a glimpse of One Piece on that screen, which makes sense, given there's a new movie and arc coming soon.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:38 pm

I think what I would want from all of this is for Dragon Ball Super to become a seasonal anime with new movies every now and then. Give the production enough breathing room by making it seasonal so that they have the time to produce high-quality movies. Take the My Hero Academia approach.

If they decide to go back to the long-running format and make a movie alongside it then I imagine the quality of the anime will drop in places.