Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri May 31, 2019 11:10 pm

I'm not great at making heads or tails of most legal-ese, but yeah, from what I was getting out of it, it sounds like he and his lawyers just keep changing the date and trying to get to go first, only for Vic to completely fail to show up at all when he was supposed to.

You've got to wonder what the hell he even really has in mind at this point. I sincerely think at this point he's just enjoying watching everything burn around him.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 31, 2019 11:36 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:10 pm I'm not great at making heads or tails of most legal-ese, but yeah, from what I was getting out of it, it sounds like he and his lawyers just keep changing the date and trying to get to go first, only for Vic to completely fail to show up at all when he was supposed to.

You've got to wonder what the hell he even really has in mind at this point. I sincerely think at this point he's just enjoying watching everything burn around him.
The only thing I can think of is that he wants to bleed money out of Rial and her defense, because the longer this takes the more money it'll cost her to hire legal representation.

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:50 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:30 pm It wasn't shared here that Mignogna was reduced to making mall appearances, right? Not only was that cancelled, but the venue's changed from that to a dojo.

Talk about a fall from grace.
Rumored becuase a bunch of people called into the mall to protest. But I haven't seen anything solid to back it up.

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:45 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:27 pm Monica and Ron have filed another legal motion. Highly recommended reading -- it's them calling out Vic for skipping his deposition. A Dallas journalist with knowledge of a relevant hearing today also shared the judge's dissatisfaction with Mr. Beard.

Oh, and guess who also got called out complete with visual evidence?
Really? cuz if I read it right, Monica's Lawyer Casey scheduled Vic when he wasn't available forcing Ty to do the same to Monica. Nothing about Vic skipping out on the appointment.

Then Ty agreeing for Vic to appear for his desposition on the condition that Casey doesn't file for dismissal till after both Monica and Ronald had theirs respectively and for a Confidentiality Agreement to keep things from the desposition private till I assume the actual trial happens (if it does)

Casey then says he can't agree to A Confidentiality Agreement cuz under Texas it requires Evidence, citing the law and giving a previous case example.

Then he requests that the court forces Vic's desposition is to happen to avoid futher scheduling conflicts Ty seems to being having

And I finish reading the rest later, after work...

I gotta say this worded far better than that joke of a document Casey wrote prior to this.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:13 am

excelhedge wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:45 am
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:27 pm Monica and Ron have filed another legal motion. Highly recommended reading -- it's them calling out Vic for skipping his deposition. A Dallas journalist with knowledge of a relevant hearing today also shared the judge's dissatisfaction with Mr. Beard.

Really? cuz if I read it right, Monica's Lawyer Casey scheduled Vic when he wasn't available forcing Ty to do the same to Monica. Nothing about Vic skipping out on the appointment.

Then Ty agreeing for Vic to appear for his desposition on the condition that Casey doesn't file for dismissal till after both Monica and Ronald had theirs respectively and for a Confidentiality Agreement to keep things from the desposition private till I assume the actual trial happens (if it does)

Casey then says he can't agree to A Confidentiality Agreement cuz under Texas it requires Evidence, citing the law and giving a previous case example.

Then he requests that the court forces Vic's desposition is to happen to avoid futher scheduling conflicts Ty seems to being having

I gotta say this worded far better than that joke of a document Casey wrote prior to this.
It's expressed numerous times how he inexplicably kept changing the dates and how plaintiff depositions/confidentiality agreements are supposed to work; in this case, Beard's demands for a confidentiality agreement would waive legal rights and how Vic didn't provide any reasonable need for said agreement.. That's why the judge denied it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:18 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:13 am It's expressed numerous times how he inexplicably kept changing the dates and how plaintiff depositions/confidentiality agreements are supposed to work; in this case, Beard's demands for a confidentiality agreement would waive legal rights and how Vic didn't provide any reasonable need for said agreement.. That's why the judge denied it.
Not only that but Beard demanding a confidentiality agreement is kinda shot by Rekieta showing everything he has about the case on a YouTube channel.

Also, posting this below with better formatting for posterity, because it's so very amusing and cathartic.
10. Plaintiff’s actions outside of this lawsuit have proven that his request for confidentiality is a disingenuous and he is wasting the courts valuable time and resources. Plaintiff’s attorneys have appeared on episodes of the YouTube channel for Rekieta Law describing the facts of the case, the pleadings and the Defendants, providing images of evidence they intend to use in the case, and discussing their legal strategy. Rekieta Law is a YouTube channel that describes on its own webpage the following: “He's a lawyer who lawsplains [sic] legal topics to the internet, fueled by whiskey and rage.” Plaintiff’s attorneys are sharing information about the case with Nick Rekieta, the creator of the YouTube channel, to be disbursed to Plaintiff’s fanbase and viewers of Rekieta Law. Many of Rekieta Law’s episodes have over 75,000 views from different individuals. Furthermore, Plaintiff’s attorneys have even attempted to sell merchandise (patches and t-shirts) in support of Ty Beard and Plaintiff with the slogan “Fear the Beard” as a way to intimidate Defendants and rile up the fanbase of Plaintiff.

9 The amount of publicity and public attention that Plaintiff voluntarily created, and continues to create, regarding this case shows that he has no actual concern for the protection of confidentiality or the sensitivity of the subject matter.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:43 am

Like someone said some way back I cant understand legalese.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:22 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:36 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:10 pm I'm not great at making heads or tails of most legal-ese, but yeah, from what I was getting out of it, it sounds like he and his lawyers just keep changing the date and trying to get to go first, only for Vic to completely fail to show up at all when he was supposed to.

The only thing I can think of is that he wants to bleed money out of Rial and her defense, because the longer this takes the more money it'll cost her to hire legal representation.
Would Monica Rial even be footing the bill for her legal representation? I feel like Funimation is backing her financially.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:43 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:43 am Like someone said some way back I cant understand legalese.
tl;dr the court finds Mignogna and Beard's request for confidentiality bullshit considering Rekieta's coverage of their evidence and court strategy on his YouTube channel, and therefore find the confidentiality request a waste of the court's time and money. They also disapprove of Rekieta selling "Fear the Beard" merchandise as a way to rile up Mignogna's fanbase.
TVfan721 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:22 pm Would Monica Rial even be footing the bill for her legal representation? I feel like Funimation is backing her financially.
If that were the case I feel like the #IStandWithVic crowd would have dug that up and shat on her for not being strong enough to face Mignogna on her own, which we would certainly have heard about by now.

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:46 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:13 am

It's expressed numerous times how he inexplicably kept changing the dates
Then can you please quote it for me? Cuz I don't see it.

All I see in the E-mail exchange is the Both Two Lawyers arguing about the disposition dates for their clients, Both each wanting certain dates, then Both getting upset with each other scheduleing when the other and their clients are unavailable.

That's when the crap with the confidentiality agreement happen, forcing Casey to file to force Vic's desposition to happen, cuz under Texas law there can't be a confidentiality agreement without evidence to warrant it.
and how plaintiff depositions/confidentiality agreements are supposed to work; in this case, Beard's demands for a confidentiality agreement would waive legal rights and how Vic didn't provide any reasonable need for said agreement.. That's why the judge denied it.
Yeah I pretty much said that part myself. It's the part where you said Vic skipped out on his desposition when the document seems to show the scheduling conflict is between the Lawyers, that's confusing me.
KBABZ wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:43 pm
TVfan721 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:22 pm Would Monica Rial even be footing the bill for her legal representation? I feel like Funimation is backing her financially.
If that were the case I feel like the #IStandWithVic crowd would have dug that up and shat on her for not being strong enough to face Mignogna on her own, which we would certainly have heard about by now.
It's a Defamation case, As a Company Funimation never went out of it's way to do harm to Vic and his future business opportunities after it cut ties with him. It's why Vic is sueing individuals and not the Company itself IIRC.

Legally The Company has no obligation for defending Monica and Ronald.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:56 am

excelhedge wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:46 pm
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:13 am

It's expressed numerous times how he inexplicably kept changing the dates

All I see in the E-mail exchange is the Both Two Lawyers arguing about the disposition dates for their clients, Both each wanting certain dates, then Both getting upset with each other scheduleing when the other and their clients are unavailable.
It is very difficult to follow, I'll admit, especially considering how much of it surrounds Beard. The key is reviewing this third point and analyzing the email exchange with it in mind:
Eventually, Plaintiff did cancel the deposition using made-up excuses. Worse,
Plaintiff files an unsupported, haphazard motion to avoid the deposition and running up
thousands of dollars of attorney’s fees and expenses. The following timeline depicts why
Plaintiff’s actions here are obstructive and wasteful.
In said timeline, this particular example stands out:
On Friday, May 3, Plaintiff inexplicably served depositions notices (and
document requests) for Defendants’ depositions to occur on May 15, in
Plaintiff’s counsel’s Tyler, Texas office. Scheduling the depositions in
Tyler, Texas violates Local Rule 3.11(a)(1).
In other words, he's purposely avoiding the deposition with attempts to change the date according to what seem to be, at best, vague excuses. Why he's doing this, I can't tell you.

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:56 am
excelhedge wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:46 pm
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:13 am It's expressed numerous times how he inexplicably kept changing the dates

It is very difficult to follow, I'll admit, especially considering how much of it surrounds Beard. The key is reviewing this third point and analyzing the email exchange with it in mind:
Eventually, Plaintiff did cancel the deposition using made-up excuses. Worse,
Plaintiff files an unsupported, haphazard motion to avoid the deposition and running up
thousands of dollars of attorney’s fees and expenses. The following timeline depicts why
Plaintiff’s actions here are obstructive and wasteful.
In said timeline, this particular example stands out:
On Friday, May 3, Plaintiff inexplicably served depositions notices (and
document requests) for Defendants’ depositions to occur on May 15, in
Plaintiff’s counsel’s Tyler, Texas office. Scheduling the depositions in
Tyler, Texas violates Local Rule 3.11(a)(1).
In other words, he's purposely avoiding the deposition with attempts to change the date according to what seem to be, at best, vague excuses. Why he's doing this, I can't tell you.
Ok. Yeah, I can see that. That's problem with Legal speak, "Plaintiff" can be interpreted as Vic Himself or his Legal team at times.

It doesn't help either that Casey seems to be switching terms at times when talking about Beard.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:36 pm

No one else thinks it's suspicious that the guy accused of harassment wants confidentiality in his case.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:31 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:36 pm No one else thinks it's suspicious that the guy accused of harassment wants confidentiality in his case.
That's been discussed before, yeah.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Tweets (such as this one) have been circulating with some of the details in the suit, and it's golden:

I especially can't get over this part right here:

Amazing work, YouTube lawyer, you've totally got Monica and the others on the ropes now! :clap:
YouTube lawyer: um, aCtUAllY, "on the ropes" is a wrestling term, and we're talking about real life serious business, and no alleged wrestling match ever took place, therefore your statement is defamatory and false.

Unsurprisingly, there are still Vic fans in the comments certain that the case is going well for him, and that he'll win and be "proven innocent" (despite the fact that he's the one suing others, so no verdicts will even be made on anything he's done :roll: )
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:16 pm

sailorspazz wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 pm Tweets (such as this one) have been circulating with some of the details in the suit, and it's golden:

I especially can't get over this part right here:

Amazing work, YouTube lawyer, you've totally got Monica and the others on the ropes now! :clap:
YouTube lawyer: um, aCtUAllY, "on the ropes" is a wrestling term, and we're talking about real life serious business, and no alleged wrestling match ever took place, therefore your statement is defamatory and false.

Unsurprisingly, there are still Vic fans in the comments certain that the case is going well for him, and that he'll win and be "proven innocent" (despite the fact that he's the one suing others, so no verdicts will even be made on anything he's done :roll: )

That last point is the most pathetic "gotcha" I've ever witnessed. Good lord, how did he ever pass the bar?

Do we know who this is directed towards?

(Oh, and just a quick correction: Beard isn't the YouTube lawyer; that's Rekieta.)

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:29 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:16 pm (Oh, and just a quick correction: Beard isn't the YouTube lawyer; that's Rekieta.)
Ah, my mistake! This whole thing is just such a shit show, I can't keep track of which "geniuses" are responsible for what.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:06 pm

That honestly sounds a 10 year old kid response when he gets made fun of. “You called me a piece of shit but that’s not possible cause I’m not feces.” Like are you kidding me? That’s just....wow.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:45 pm

sailorspazz wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:29 pm
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:16 pm (Oh, and just a quick correction: Beard isn't the YouTube lawyer; that's Rekieta.)
Ah, my mistake! This whole thing is just such a shit show, I can't keep track of which "geniuses" are responsible for what.
Honestly they both may as well be.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:54 pm

I mean...I'm glad he's at least smart enough to realize that 'piece of shit' is an insult, not an actual state of being for a human being, but...I...

...My head hurts. Jesus Christ it hurts. :lol:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)