"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:42 am

Nozawa is doing a broly movie event on the 8th in japan which I'm sure the fandom will hype up and tease an announcement there :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:20 am

MCDaveG wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:34 am there is no Super series in development, end of the story.
Officially there isn't. But it's a badly kept secret that Super's been worked in for a while. Like the case with Kai Final chapters was.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:20 pm

Well we are on October for merch news this month and a majority has been revealed and nothing in the slightest to indicate a new arc of any sort. Movie stuff, video game collabs and filler.

MHA returns October and they've already hit merch for that infact merch for the new season leaked before the anime designs for the show were even revealed! So there is no reason they won't hit DB that soon especially when MHA makes a fraction of what DB does, I mean Bulma alone outsold All Might in March by a complete landslide! So yeah I am sceptical we're getting a new show this year (unless it is a retelling but I doubt that at this point).

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:22 pm

SaiyanTarzan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 am Oh god this is still going on? I have no doubt something will be 'shown' in SDCC but I highly doubt it's an anime. If the reports are right that Toei is working on something since October and in December Toriyama mentioned his 'next work' which with this recent interview makes it clear it's a movie then I'm pretty sure you can put two and two together, it's a movie guys.
You're trying to link two things that don't match up timing wise. The interview makes it clear that this movie is essentially just a concept at this point. They are in the planning stages, aka VERY early pre-production at best. It would not have been in production since October. Assuming you believe Ajay's sources, they are currently ANIMATING the thing that has supposedly been in production since October. They would not be animating a movie right now.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:20 pm Well we are on October for merch news this month and a majority has been revealed and nothing in the slightest to indicate a new arc of any sort. Movie stuff, video game collabs and filler.

MHA returns October and they've already hit merch for that infact merch for the new season leaked before the anime designs for the show were even revealed! So there is no reason they won't hit DB that soon especially when MHA makes a fraction of what DB does, I mean Bulma alone outsold All Might in March by a complete landslide! So yeah I am sceptical we're getting a new show this year (unless it is a retelling but I doubt that at this point).
So what do you chalk up all of Ajay's animator sources to then? Do you believe that they were all just straight up lying? Highly doubtful. Or are you just convinced that it exists but has just been delayed to 2020?

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Miracles wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:31 pm
Lionel wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:37 pm So it turns out that even the producers have their limits when it comes to the "bigger and badder" modus operandi of Dragon Ball. Unfortunately, Dragon Ball has been like that since its inception. The only debatable exception might be the transition from the RRA arc to the Baba Tournament arc where it seemed like Staff Officer Black's battle jacket might have been posing more of a threat than Grandpa Gohan did. One was played up more for comedic purposes while the other was a tearful reunion dressed up in the form of an intense fist-to-fist duel, though. It's questionable if you ask me but the only example I can think of.

How they plan to go about changing up the formula is the question, I think. If they're going to try and go the Moro route then I doubt it's going to be all that distinguishable. They could try to make an arc that's based more around the narrative of the story than the fights; that wouldn't be in keeping with the spirit of Dragon Ball, though, would it? Anyone else have any thoughts on what they plan to do here?
The interview didn't mention anything about narration. Only quality of movie preparations.
Is that so? Well the movies don't interest me much anyways. I haven't watched one in its entirety except for the Cooler ones. That being said, I wonder what the next one would be about and how it would be different than the Broly film. Judging by the financial success of that particular concept, I think brandishing classically popular DBZ villains might be taken advantage of again as others have suggested.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:07 pm

Conspiracy theory: Toei higher up put out fake info to find out who would leak shit :think:

It seems very fishy that all of a sudden those animator sources no longer have an idea what is going on

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:37 pm

Lionel wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:45 pm
Lionel wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:37 pm So it turns out that even the producers have their limits when it comes to the "bigger and badder" modus operandi of Dragon Ball. Unfortunately, Dragon Ball has been like that since its inception. The only debatable exception might be the transition from the RRA arc to the Baba Tournament arc where it seemed like Staff Officer Black's battle jacket might have been posing more of a threat than Grandpa Gohan did. One was played up more for comedic purposes while the other was a tearful reunion dressed up in the form of an intense fist-to-fist duel, though. It's questionable if you ask me but the only example I can think of.

How they plan to go about changing up the formula is the question, I think. If they're going to try and go the Moro route then I doubt it's going to be all that distinguishable. They could try to make an arc that's based more around the narrative of the story than the fights; that wouldn't be in keeping with the spirit of Dragon Ball, though, would it? Anyone else have any thoughts on what they plan to do here?
The interview didn't mention anything about narration. Only quality of movie preparations.
Is that so? Well the movies don't interest me much anyways. I haven't watched one in its entirety except for the Cooler ones. That being said, I wonder what the next one would be about and how it would be different than the Broly film. Judging by the financial success of that particular concept, I think brandishing classically popular DBZ villains might be taken advantage of again as others have suggested.
Ah, Bring back an old villain...BTW I'm shocked you haven't watched a full DB movie in it's entirety. Does that include DB Super's movies too?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Well, they did mention the direction they want to go in. They said “Broly was excessively powerful, so we think things will head in a completely different direction next time around.”

Which i hope that means its more plot and story driven.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:57 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Well, they did mention the direction they want to go in. They said “Broly was excessively powerful, so we think things will head in a completely different direction next time around.”

This is what Toriyama must of meant by next work. Another movie.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:23 pm

Miracles wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:57 pm

Considering Toriyama started writing the Broly movie in Spring of 2017 and finished around May of 2017, meaning that it takes around 2 months for him to write a story and he’s had 25 months as of now to write more stories, I'm assuming he’s finished more than one “next work.” I'm still betting the next work mentioned at Jump Festa is something for 2uper. Its possible that he’s writing a scenario for the next movie now but i think his next work is 2uper related.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:28 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:20 am
MCDaveG wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:34 am there is no Super series in development, end of the story.
Officially there isn't. But it's a badly kept secret that Super's been worked in for a while. Like the case with Kai Final chapters was.
How? What? Where? We don't have any proof outside of a movie... There is just Broly genga with dubious origin and that's it.
We've already pretty much agreed on BS consensus in here, regarding those ''leaks''.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Miracles wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:37 pm
Ah, Bring back an old villain...BTW I'm shocked you haven't watched a full DB movie in it's entirety. Does that include DB Super's movies too?
I'm not so much an anime watcher as I am a manga reader. I did start watching Dragon Ball Super at around the end of the RoF arc but all of the films, including the Super ones, I didn't watch. Broly in particular I have no interest in because the premise doesn't hold all that much appeal for me. I take it you've watched more of the films than I have, Miracles. Does that include all of them?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:19 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:23 pm
Miracles wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:57 pm

Considering Toriyama started writing the Broly movie in Spring of 2017 and finished around May of 2017, meaning that it takes around 2 months for him to write a story and he’s had 25 months as of now to write more stories, I'm assuming he’s finished more than one “next work.” I'm still betting the next work mentioned at Jump Festa is something for 2uper. Its possible that he’s writing a scenario for the next movie now but i think his next work is 2uper related.
Yeah, I don't doubt that a movie being announced by any means impedes Super's anime return. I think we will have to just wait for official info.
Lionel wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:32 pm

I'm not so much an anime watcher as I am a manga reader. I did start watching Dragon Ball Super at around the end of the RoF arc but all of the films, including the Super ones, I didn't watch. Broly in particular I have no interest in because the premise doesn't hold all that much appeal for me. I take it you've watched more of the films than I have, Miracles. Does that include all of them?
Yes. I have watched all of them. I like reading manga and watching the anime of DB. I didn't realize you were more of a manga reader. So I take it you read all the chapters of Super?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:24 pm

Artorias wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:22 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:20 pm Well we are on October for merch news this month and a majority has been revealed and nothing in the slightest to indicate a new arc of any sort. Movie stuff, video game collabs and filler.

So what do you chalk up all of Ajay's animator sources to then? Do you believe that they were all just straight up lying? Highly doubtful. Or are you just convinced that it exists but has just been delayed to 2020?
I just don't want a retelling lol. If the show does return this year then a retelling is most likely (and why so much movie stuff post summer and why movie merch has dropped the movie tag and is just being branded as DBS now).

Bandai get sent a lot of info from Toei so if pre prod started last October they would have got sent things unfortunately unlike the movie I have not been able to extract any information from Bandai, via people that either work for or know of people, because I am basically in Bandai's bad books ever since Gogeta WCF reveal lol. Those people I talked too that used to be fairly open about information are now just giving me PR answers. It's not like I leaked anything I got sent or was told not too but I guess Bandai just wanna play it safe and told people to respond to me with PR type answers from now on. /:

So far just going on what I have found and gathered and currently nothing suggests a new material arc will happen this year. Even with OP movie their new arc gets merched almost immediately after the movie so Bandai are clearly not hanging around so I don't believe there is any reason for them to be slow with DB if we get a new arc in October.

So if people are adamant about DBS is returning this year I'd advise you to at least mentality prepare yourself for the potentiality of a retelling.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:15 pm

Miracles wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:19 pm
Lionel wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Yes. I have watched all of them. I like reading manga and watching the anime of DB. I didn't realize you were more of a manga reader. So I take it you read all the chapters of Super?
Embarrassingly, not to an earnest degree. I've been reading them since the Champa arc. I've skimmed over the Beerus material and RoF's manga rendering was in the form of a promotional bit prior to RoF getting released, I think

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:09 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:28 pm
sangofe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:20 am
How? What? Where? We don't have any proof outside of a movie... There is just Broly genga with dubious origin and that's it.
We've already pretty much agreed on BS consensus in here, regarding those ''leaks''.
We have not all largely agreed that the leaks were BS. Speak for yourself. It's far more likely that things have changed behind the scenes. The idea that Ajay spoke to actual production staff and they were all either fake accounts or lying is virtually impossible. Very few people have just written off the Ajay/Geekdom leaks as totally false bullshit, so I don't know where you got that. You might think that, but don't act like that's the general consensus here.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:22 am

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:42 am Nozawa is doing a broly movie event on the 8th in japan which I'm sure the fandom will hype up and tease an announcement there :lol:
People have already been doing that, yes. I'm pretty sure the event has been brought up in this thread, even.
But, well, it's June 8th right now (9pm in Japan) and personally I haven't heard much. I'm reading that the event started at 3pm Japan time, which means it should definitely be over by now, and... nothing. Even if there was a "no telling" rule at the event, surely we'd have heard something by now if there was anything.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:28 am

Alruneia wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:22 am
RecolorSaiyan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:42 am Nozawa is doing a broly movie event on the 8th in japan which I'm sure the fandom will hype up and tease an announcement there :lol:
People have already been doing that, yes. I'm pretty sure the event has been brought up in this thread, even.
But, well, it's June 8th right now (9pm in Japan) and personally I haven't heard much. I'm reading that the event started at 3pm Japan time, which means it should definitely be over by now, and... nothing. Even if there was a "no telling" rule at the event, surely we'd have heard something by now if there was anything.
2uper will be announced on the most unexpected date in the most unexpected time.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:56 am

So Nozawa's interview didn't have any info?

I guess all that leaves is the anime expo that got tweeted a few pages back.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:49 am

sintzu wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:28 am
Alruneia wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:22 am
2uper will be announced on the most unexpected date in the most unexpected time.
My money is on Jumo Festa 2019