Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue May 28, 2019 10:39 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:56 am
Captain Awesome wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:06 pm
Tylerman29 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:19 pm Can't wait until the comparisons start rolling in. I live for screenshot comparisons of DB home releases.
Me too, I have no interest in this release but you had better believe I'll pore over the comparison images for hours.
This is why I like the ultimate comparison thread. I feel like having a good bank of comparisons from every available release is a great resource to have! The only real snag is that they have to be compatible with Kai and... and...

...wait, has the edited-down version of DBZ ever been released? Is that what the Rock the Dragon set had?
If you mean the first 53 episodes of FUNi's original edited dub (for which they used the Ocean Studios cast), then yes.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:37 am

Seems nothing has changed and this release is still 4:3 Blue Rays.

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:16 am

Whens it releasing lol ?

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:07 pm

mikezilla2 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:16 am Whens it releasing lol ?
Ditto.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:19 pm

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:07 pm
mikezilla2 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:16 am Whens it releasing lol ?
Ditto.
Didn't they say November ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:56 pm

Yup, November.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:15 pm

Does this video from FUNimation have new clips from the 30th Box set or are they zoomed/cropped snippets of the Season Blu-Rays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nJqNSNp4Ao

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:38 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:15 pm Does this video from FUNimation have new clips from the 30th Box set or are they zoomed/cropped snippets of the Season Blu-Rays.

Technically it has more footage than the Japanese Dragon Box Z, so I would assume it is the 30th Blu-rays. Well, at least this particular shot has more footage than the Dragon Box. It was the only clip I had time to find as it's pretty easy to locate. Too bad the footage here for the 30th looks awful otherwise:

Japanese Dragon Box Z

FUNimation DBZ 30th Anniversary Trailer (Assumed 30th Anniversary Blu-ray footage)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:55 am

some new footage, this time with Buu-arc
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:21 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:55 am some new footage, this time with Buu-arc
slight improve in the cropping, so bad for everything else

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:33 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:55 am some new footage, this time with Buu-arc
Is it just me or did they add some edge enhancement on top of all the DNR and junk that was already there? I don't seem to remember the Season Blu-Rays having this much of it.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:28 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:33 pm
Is it just me or did they add some edge enhancement on top of all the DNR and junk that was already there? I don't seem to remember the Season Blu-Rays having this much of it.
It looks like they're trying their hardest to overcompensate for the DNR-ed to oblivion footage with that, but even then it still looks like overly saturated almost water color looking garbage only in 4:3 instead of fake widescreen.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:43 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:28 pm
It looks like they're trying their hardest to overcompensate for the DNR-ed to oblivion footage with that, but even then it still looks like overly saturated almost water color looking garbage only in 4:3 instead of fake widescreen.
My question is who's making these shit-headed decisions at FUNi? Who's in charge of their remastering department & who keeps enabling this person? Why did they hire the most incompetent people to handle these remasters? Cheap, bad, & shitty remasters for no good reason other than genuine incompetence & a stubbornness to improve in any genuine way outside of baby steps.
2007: forced cropping, oversaturation of colors, & other bad things.
2014: Same, only better cropping.
2019: Same, only 4:3.
What is with these people? Why does Toei keep enabling them? They should be taking offense.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:51 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:43 pm Why does Toei keep enabling them?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That and a large part of the overall fanbase that thinks the DNR isn't that bad.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:59 pm

ect5150 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:51 pm

That and a large part of the overall fanbase that thinks the DNR isn't that bad.
You arent wrong, which is part of the reason I susspect TOEI doing the same. Heck Universal still dnrs some movies on 4K which really kills me.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:56 pm

ect5150 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:51 pm

It really seems that way, and the casual average joe fans who buy into these crap remastered releases don't grasp the fact that this is a 30 year old anime series that was intended to be seen a particular way. Case in point with FUNi's bone headed decision back in 2007 to cut off 20% or more of the vertical image of the 4:3 frame that is supposed to be there into a fake widescreen presentation on top of the terrible DNR process. That to me shows they couldn't care less about preserving the artistic integrity of the animators who really gave their all (some more than others) for the show to have a visual appeal and FUNi's poor attempts at remastering if you want to call their terrible DNR smear fest that is simply not how it's supposed to look, and the Orange Bricks, Season BD's and this 30th anniversary release are all sad and misguided attempts on their part to polish and fix something that isn't broken.

A proper release on the other hand, something more along the lines of the Dragon Boxes or even the Level sets would be a release that everyone could support if they really cared enough, but it's quite obvious to see they just want to put in the absolute bare minimum level of effort at the dirt cheap point.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:03 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:43 pm What is with these people? Why does Toei keep enabling them? They should be taking offense.
Because their idea of "Remaster" is not "present the footage as authentically as possible in the best quality", it's "Do whatever it takes to make it look like Super", in the sense that it needs to look like it was animated digitally. That compounds with the fact that the work can be between 300 to 500 episodes long and they're adverse to spending a lot of money on it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:12 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:03 pm
Scsigs wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:43 pm What is with these people? Why does Toei keep enabling them? They should be taking offense.
Because their idea of "Remaster" is not "present the footage as authentically as possible in the best quality", it's "Do whatever it takes to make it look like Super", in the sense that it needs to look like it was animated digitally. That compounds with the fact that the work can be between 300 to 500 episodes long and they're adverse to spending a lot of money on it.
Even then, that's a load of bullshit when it comes to their mentality. Super is more clear, more detailed, & better-looking than their Z remasters (some don't like the animation style due to character proportions, the sheen, etc. I think it's fine, it's just that the animators just didn't have the time or direction to make a lot of it look as fluid or exciting as it could've, as shown with the TOP arc, due to the time crunch & general lack of proper direction for the series) because it was animated, edited, & done digitally, something Z wasn't. I even had someone say that BECAUSE Z was drawn, it shouldn't have grain, which is a GROSS misunderstanding of film, old animation, & remastering it.
I dare say Sailor Moon has better remasters than Z at this point. Sure, the color accuracy can be better, & the oversaturation could be toned down, but at least I think it's watchable & just done by people under a time crunch working with masters that are bad sources to do them. FUNi scanned in good film masters & have hard drives dedicated to retaining them digitally, but if a better team were put in charge of the project, we could actually get good results. But, no. FUNi continues to do it in-house with the same team to save as much money as possible who are completely CAPABLE of doing a good remaster, which we've seen, as long as they're under the right director, but they're not. That person no longer works there, as someone said pages back, so we're continually fucked unless FUNi finally actually puts some time, budget, & genuine effort into the restoration &/or change the team completely to people who actually understand this shit. It's just sad.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:31 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:12 pm
KBABZ wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:03 pm
Even then, that's a load of bullshit when it comes to their mentality. Super is more clear, more detailed, & better-looking than their Z remasters (some don't like the animation style due to character proportions, the sheen, etc. I think it's fine, it's just that the animators just didn't have the time or direction to make a lot of it look as fluid or exciting as it could've, as shown with the TOP arc, due to the time crunch & general lack of proper direction for the series) because it was animated, edited, & done digitally, something Z wasn't. I even had someone say that BECAUSE Z was drawn, it shouldn't have grain, which is a GROSS misunderstanding of film, old animation, & remastering it.
I dare say Sailor Moon has better remasters than Z at this point. Sure, the color accuracy can be better, & the oversaturation could be toned down, but at least I think it's watchable & just done by people under a time crunch working with masters that are bad sources to do them. FUNi scanned in good film masters & have hard drives dedicated to retaining them digitally, but if a better team were put in charge of the project, we could actually get good results. But, no. FUNi continues to do it in-house with the same team to save as much money as possible who are completely CAPABLE of doing a good remaster, which we've seen, as long as they're under the right director, but they're not. That person no longer works there, as someone said pages back, so we're continually fucked unless FUNi finally actually puts some time, budget, & genuine effort into the restoration &/or change the team completely to people who actually understand this shit. It's just sad.
It is precisely that kind of mentality i just don't get at all, as the three original series were done by hand and copied onto 16mm (sometimes 35mm film for certain episodes of the Namek arc) and those film masters inherently have grain built into the picture due to the nature of the source and if you smear it away the detail is blown out and FUNi's piss poor excuses of "remasters" for Z with their terrible automated DNR process prove that in spades. They are shows produced in a specific period of time when animation production methods were still very much done the way they'd been since the dawn of animated films and such on film back around the first part of the 20th century on cel and paper. Simply put, they weren't made like most modern animes and other forms of animated productions since digital animation which became a thing in the early 2000's and these should be presented as such. On that point you said where someone commented "Z was drawn, it shouldn't have grain" to me sounds like a fan who is just woefully ignorant to the reality of how shows like Dragon Ball/Z/GT and others of the era were produced.

I actually briefly touched on that point in another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43886

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:25 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:31 pm It's that kind of mentality i just don't get at all, as all three series were done by hand and copied onto 16mm (sometimes 35mm film) and those film masters inherently have grain built into the picture due to the nature of the source and if you smear it away the detail is blown out too and FUNi's piss poor excuses of "remasters" for Z with their terrible DNR process prove that in spades. They are shows produced in a specific period of time when animation production methods were still very much done the way they'd been since the dawn of animated films and such on film back around the first part of the 20th century on cel and paper. Simply put, they weren't made like most modern animes and other forms of animated productions since digital animation became a thing in the early 2000's and these should be presented as such. On that point you said where someone commented "Z was drawn, it shouldn't have grain" sounds like a fan who is just woefully ignorant to the reality of how shows like Dragon Ball/Z/GT and others of the era were produced.
The uninformed are some of the biggest sheeple in this fandom. It's, frankly, embarrassing. We keep getting shit because people can't understand a goddamn thing ever & it's just awful.