"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:39 pm More screenshots courtesy of Bandai Namco's Facebook page. Can't help but notice that Characters option on the world menu, so still betting we'll be having a good handful of playable characters. If it really is just the 'Saiyan/Freeza' arcs, then probably we'll at least have 1) Goku, 2) Gohan, 3) Piccolo, 4) Kuririn, 5) Tenshinhan, 6) Yamcha, and 7) Vegeta (once on Namek anyway).

I'm also assuming the world map is showing what people mean when they describe this as semi-open world - it looks like we'll be able to select one of a bunch of zones to go to, and those areas will be pretty big and spacious to explore rather than us literally being able to go anywhere we want. Still looks plenty big enough to explore for me though.
This is interesting, and pretty much confirms that we will have other characters playable in the game.
And on those areas, I believe that when we get into one, we may be able to move freely within the map to the other without having to select it again. But I wonder, what is this '' Off-Earth '' area?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:07 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:04 pmI believe that when we get into one, we may be able to move freely within the map to the other without having to select it again.

But I wonder, what is this '' Off-Earth '' area?
I think they said we couldn't do that.

Off earth is probably Namek and space.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:26 pm

It'll likely just remain this sort of world map where we go from zone to zone, yeah. We might be able to fly around it to locate other zones that aren't in that immediate area, but that'll be about it if I had to guess.

And yeah, Off-Earth is probably Kaio's planet and Namek essentially. If this does end up covering more than just the first two arcs of DBZ, then that could also mean Other World (if they do any of that filler bit), Hell (though this one could be here just for the Saiyan arc filler I suppose), and Supreme Kai's world.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:17 pm

sintzu wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:07 pm
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:04 pmI believe that when we get into one, we may be able to move freely within the map to the other without having to select it again.

But I wonder, what is this '' Off-Earth '' area?
I think they said we couldn't do that.

Off earth is probably Namek and space.
Namek, Space, possibly Planet Vegeta for the Bardock special, Otherworld (Snake Way, Hell, King Kai’s planet), Supreme Kai’s Planet
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:38 pm

Am I expecting too much to think that they are going to put the level barrier on the entrances and interactions with evil henchmen and beat them up?

Edit: Also, I'm hoping they don't just limit themselves to strictly follow the manga. It's better to expand the arcs to improve the experience. Like, for instance, you should have Goku do the chores and train on Planet Yardrat before he can leave to Earth. Little things like that.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:57 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:38 pm Edit: Also, I'm hoping they don't just limit themselves to strictly follow the manga. It's better to expand the arcs to improve the experience. Like, for instance, you should have Goku do the chores and train on Planet Yardrat before he can leave to Earth. Little things like that.
We can't say for sure obviously, but I'd say the fact that we've spotted Android 8 and the Pilaf gang make it pretty easy to assume that we'll see the story getting fleshed out somewhat, even if it does cover all of Z, since those characters never appeared in Z. I'd also totally be down for some kind of farming mini-game with Goku, even if the farming bit didn't really come up until the newer era. :lol:

The biggest thing I'm hoping for though is movie villains (and hopefully including their henchmen, but it's fine if not) as side quest bosses of some sort. It'd be a great way to flesh things out. Even if the game is only Saiyan-to-Freeza arcs, that'd still give us Garlic Jr., Dr. Wheelo, Turles, Lord Slug, and Cooler.

The biggest question in regards to that though is, if the game does cover all of Z and likewise gives us hopefully all of the movie villains as secret bosses...do...do they include the older, movie version of Broly? Because if this game were to be successful enough to get sequel(s) and they eventually went into Super, then...that could get a bit complicated. A fighting game having both versions of Broly is one thing, but a more linear game story would be a bit harder to pull that off. Either way though, this would potentially be where we first hear our new voice for the character too.

Also out of curiosity, anyone else already pre-ordered this? I almost never pre-order a game this early, but with Amazon offering the thing for $49.94 (a whole $10.01 cheaper than it'll normally go for), how could I not?
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:42 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:38 pm Edit: Also, I'm hoping they don't just limit themselves to strictly follow the manga. It's better to expand the arcs to improve the experience. Like, for instance, you should have Goku do the chores and train on Planet Yardrat before he can leave to Earth. Little things like that.
If anything, i expect them to involve the filler or the anime to lengthen the story along with the “never-before-seen” parts of the story they’ve been talking about. A main example is that I'm expecting more emphasis on Goku being on Planet Yardrat compared to the attention it got in the manga or even anime.

It may very well be one of the “Off-Earth” areas. The main aspects of the game is its story and exploration. So you bet your ass thats what they’re putting all their effort into. Not the roster or combat like the DB fighting games we get. Although i do expect us to be able to use the heroes in this game.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:01 pm

I'm not confident in this game from the little I saw. One concern is combat, just press one button and do special attacks sometimes? I need a little complexity and engagement, there seems to be very little, maybe with party members...

The exploring and side missions could be good, really depends the route they go. Worst scenario it becomes a fetch quest galore, or defeat random copy paste enemy one hundred times.

That #8 quest leaves something to be desired, on one hand it has the callback but they do nothing with it..., it basically could be random villager X asking for help. I fear the game might have no heart or imagination.

Graphics look good, this style fits Dragon Ball.

For the type of game they are going it's extremely disappointing ignoring the Dragon Ball part with the most potential for it... It's frustrating how little early Dragon Ball is used in video games, makes me appreciate Advanced Adventure even more.

Weird how the developers dodged telling us about the arcs included in the game. Either it won't happen post-Freeza and they don't want to face the backlash or there's a big gameplay secret that would be spoiled.
Maybe what-if scenarios post-Freeza? Actually using Goku training/exploring in space in a bunch of different Worlds beyond Yardrat to give some uniqueness to the game. One can dream...

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:14 am

LightBing wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:01 pm I'm not confident in this game from the little I saw. One concern is combat, just press one button and do special attacks sometimes? I need a little complexity and engagement, there seems to be very little, maybe with party members...

The exploring and side missions could be good, really depends the route they go. Worst scenario it becomes a fetch quest galore, or defeat random copy paste enemy one hundred times.

That #8 quest leaves something to be desired, on one hand it has the callback but they do nothing with it..., it basically could be random villager X asking for help. I fear the game might have no heart or imagination.

For the type of game they are going it's extremely disappointing ignoring the Dragon Ball part with the most potential for it... It's frustrating how little early Dragon Ball is used in video games, makes me appreciate Advanced Adventure even more.

Weird how the developers dodged telling us about the arcs included in the game. Either it won't happen post-Freeza and they don't want to face the backlash or there's a big gameplay secret that would be spoiled.
Maybe what-if scenarios post-Freeza? Actually using Goku training/exploring in space in a bunch of different Worlds beyond Yardrat to give some uniqueness to the game. One can dream...
What you should accept before going into this game is that, unlike most DB games that have a main focus on roster and combat gameplay, this game has more of a focus on story and exploration (and the RPG elements interwoven in those 2 aspects). Its an ARPG. Not a fighting game or brawler.

Also, Bandai Namco doesn’t tend to just show off everything they have early. So with the very first trailer of the game showing the Saiyan and Freeza saga, chances are, they have more to show off. And past experiences have told us that, when Bandai Namco says they cant answer a question rather than just saying no, they really mean “yes, but we are saving a reveal of that for later”.

They have even heavily hinted that this game covers all of Z.

This is a DB game with RPG elements that focusses most on exploration and story that (most likely) spans across all of Z with “never-before-seen” events added into the story with the help of Toriyama (since we know he’s involved in the game).

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:21 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:57 pm
We can't say for sure obviously, but I'd say the fact that we've spotted Android 8 and the Pilaf gang make it pretty easy to assume that we'll see the story getting fleshed out somewhat, even if it does cover all of Z, since those characters never appeared in Z. I'd also totally be down for some kind of farming mini-game with Goku, even if the farming bit didn't really come up until the newer era. :lol:

The biggest thing I'm hoping for though is movie villains (and hopefully including their henchmen, but it's fine if not) as side quest bosses of some sort. It'd be a great way to flesh things out. Even if the game is only Saiyan-to-Freeza arcs, that'd still give us Garlic Jr., Dr. Wheelo, Turles, Lord Slug, and Cooler.

The biggest question in regards to that though is, if the game does cover all of Z and likewise gives us hopefully all of the movie villains as secret bosses...do...do they include the older, movie version of Broly? Because if this game were to be successful enough to get sequel(s) and they eventually went into Super, then...that could get a bit complicated. A fighting game having both versions of Broly is one thing, but a more linear game story would be a bit harder to pull that off. Either way though, this would potentially be where we first hear our new voice for the character too.

Also out of curiosity, anyone else already pre-ordered this? I almost never pre-order a game this early, but with Amazon offering the thing for $49.94 (a whole $10.01 cheaper than it'll normally go for), how could I not?
Movie villains? Did you watch the video interview? Why should they be there if no story from the movies is excluded?
AnimeNation101 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:14 am
LightBing wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:01 pm I'm not confident in this game from the little I saw. One concern is combat, just press one button and do special attacks sometimes? I need a little complexity and engagement, there seems to be very little, maybe with party members...

Also, Bandai Namco doesn’t tend to just show off everything they have early. So with the very first trailer of the game showing the Saiyan and Freeza saga, chances are, they have more to show off. And past experiences have told us that, when Bandai Namco says they cant answer a question rather than just saying no, they really mean “yes, but we are saving a reveal of that for later”.

Where and when did they do that?

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:25 am

I'm excited for the game, but I really wish they would've taken this same play style and came with an alternate story. I know we got those with XV and Fighters, but this is literally legacy of Goku with much better graphics. It's not the worse thing in the world, just would've like to play something different than the same old story. Heck, if they started at DB that would've at least been something different.

I will always believe that DBO did the absolute best job at expanding on the DB's lore and creating an immersive gameplay experience. It's just too bad that it didn't have the support it needed.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:35 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:14 am What you should accept before going into this game is that, unlike most DB games that have a main focus on roster and combat gameplay, this game has more of a focus on story and exploration (and the RPG elements interwoven in those 2 aspects). Its an ARPG. Not a fighting game or brawler.

This is a DB game with RPG elements that focusses most on exploration and story that (most likely) spans across all of Z with “never-before-seen” events added into the story with the help of Toriyama (since we know he’s involved in the game).
Combat is important it's an action-RPG after all. Even if it wasn't, I shouldn't just accept that X or Y part of the game is mediocre.

It's weird that if the game covers all of Z they don't just answer and say "yes it will cover beyond the Freeza arc". It's not an invasive question, it doesn't ask you to reveal any secrets.

Anyway I'm not trying to be negative, we saw very little yet and there's more than half a year until release. I hope for more and better.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:28 am

LightBing wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:35 am
AnimeNation101 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:14 am What you should accept before going into this game is that, unlike most DB games that have a main focus on roster and combat gameplay, this game has more of a focus on story and exploration (and the RPG elements interwoven in those 2 aspects). Its an ARPG. Not a fighting game or brawler.

Combat is important it's an action-RPG after all. Even if it wasn't, I shouldn't just accept that X or Y part of the game is mediocre.

It's weird that if the game covers all of Z they don't just answer and say "yes it will cover beyond the Freeza arc". It's not an invasive question, it doesn't ask you to reveal any secrets.

Anyway I'm not trying to be negative, we saw very little yet and there's more than half a year until release. I hope for more and better.
I do agree. All I'm saying is that you shouldn’t expect the combat to be FiogbhterZ level or even XV level because action-RPGs tend to have simpler combat than Fighters or brawlers.

And as i said before, Bamco tends to only dodge questions because the subject of the question is being saved for a future reveal. And Bamco (or any media really) doesn’t just reveal everything in one go in the first trailer of a game. Thats just marketing 101. So going off of how Bamco works, them showing the Saiyans and Freeza sagas right off the bat and them dodging questions on whether it will have the Cell and Buu saga, makes it very likely that this game will cover all of Z.

And if thats not enough evidence, the people even say, after they dodge the question, that the goal of the game is to RETELL DBZ and that fans wont be disappointed.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:08 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:28 amdo agree. All I'm saying is that you shouldn’t expect the combat to be FiogbhterZ level or even XV level because action-RPGs tend to have simpler combat than Fighters or brawlers.
Action-RPGs don’t have simple combat, it’s just their complexities come from a different aspects.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:25 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:21 am Movie villains? Did you watch the video interview? Why should they be there if no story from the movies is excluded?
If you mean the one with a bunch of gameplay (where we first get to see the fishing minigame), the version I saw had someone yakking over it/doing a 'reaction' video with it, so if there's more context on that sort of thing, then I missed it. Unless they've outright said 'no movie characters' though, I still wouldn't be surprised to see some make it in as side-quests, simply because of how easy that'd be to do.

In other news, we have a few more screenshots courtesy of Bandai Namco.

Twitter

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:52 am

Kanassa wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:08 am
AnimeNation101 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:28 amdo agree. All I'm saying is that you shouldn’t expect the combat to be FiogbhterZ level or even XV level because action-RPGs tend to have simpler combat than Fighters or brawlers.
Action-RPGs don’t have simple combat, it’s just their complexities come from a different aspects.
In terms of combat compared to fighting games, the combat is simpler. There wouldn’t be as much combo potential in an ARPG as there would be in a brawler or 2D fighter.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pm

I'm really loving the expressions this game has. For so DB games felt so plastic and/or barebones expressionless during cutscenes

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:37 pm

That SEARCH FOR KI button is my reason to keep on going.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:50 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pm I'm really loving the expressions this game has. For so DB games felt so plastic and/or barebones expressionless during cutscenes
Yeah feels way more organic this time around. FighterZ was decent with expressions as well, I'd say.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Apologies for the super short notice guys, I only just realized I forgot to post about this earlier - there's a live-stream on Bandai Namco's Twitch about to start up that'll last for an hour, giving us some more on the game. There'll also be another stream coming on tomorrow, but at a different time.

Twitter