How many series exist for you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

How many series exist for you?

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:00 am

- DB
- DBZ
- DBGT
- DBZ Kai
- DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters
- DB Super
- Super DB Heroes

How many DragonBall series exist in your opinion?

It's 7 if you count all the series I mentioned above.
It's 6 if you count DBZ Kai and DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters as one series.
It's 6 again when you count DBZ Kai and DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters as two different series but you don't count DB Heroes.
It's 5 if you don't count DBZ Kai and DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters.
It's 4 if you don't count DBZ Kai, DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters and DB Heroes.

So are there 7, 6, 5 or 4 DragonBall series for you?

sintzu
Banned

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:40 am

I consider DB & Z as one series as they were produced by the same people and were based off the same story which in itself wasn't split.

GT would be the 2nd series as it was made by a different team and wasn't based off a manga.

Kai and TFC are the 3rd series as they're based off the same show (Z) and use the same original material.

Super is the 4th series.

I guess heroes would be the 5th one but it's so different form the above that I don't really consider it a full series, so for me there are 4 series.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:19 am

Dragon Ball and Z are one series with a rebranding after episode 153 (1)

GT is an anime-exclusive follow up (2)

And then you have Super as the more Toriyama supervised follow-up (3)

Kai/Boo Kai is not a new series. It’s a recut of the Z portion of the anime with new music and newly recorded audio.

I don’t consider Heroes to be anything but some weird web promotional thing to sell trading cards.

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:46 am

DB&Z=based on original manga but with a lot of Anime exclusive things
GT=Anime-only Contuniation of the end of Z(follows the original DBZ Anime)
Kai=based on original manga without Anime exclusive things
Super=Contuniation of the Buu Arc(follows DB KAI/Original Manga)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:12 am

"Exist" can be a rather vague descriptor. Objectively speaking, they all exist. I know this is a more subjective question, but even then, is it asking what you choose to watch, what you believe is "canon," what you personally choose to ignore, what you like, which Toei-induced arbitrary divisions you accept, whether you're referring to Toriyama or Toei continuities? It can mean a lot of things, so I guess I'll just do the best I can, even though my choice is not listed in the original post.

1:
Dragon Ball, the serialized comic written by Toriyama Akira from 1984-1995.

That's it. Everything else is ancillary. A lot of it is ancillary material I like or am at least intrigued by. A lot of the newer stuff is ancillary material I don't care for. I might be inclined to make the claim for 2 series:

Dragon Ball, the serialized comic written by Toriyama Akira from 1984-1995.
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, the limited run prequel comic written by Toriyama Akira in 2013.

However, that requires me to think about Dragon Ball Minus again, and I'd rather not. And Jaco is unimportant enough to the overall story that Dragon Ball can easily exist without him (and did for decades). So... yeah... one.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:33 am

A rather odd premise for a thread, I must say, but let's dive in...

DB & Z, to me, really are one series.
GT is the sequel to that.
Kai & TFC is the rehash.
I'm tempted to say Super doesn't count, but much as I dislike it, it is the most recent iteration.

The Super Heroes anime is just a promo miniseries though, I really don't count it as one of the main series.

So, 4.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:59 am

I can't really answer the question until I know what exactly is meant by "exist". Is that exist as in "the good ones"? Exist as in "the relevant ones"? Exist as in "the canon ones"? Or exist as in "the ones I like the most"? There's a lot of ways to take that!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:15 am

I would like a more elaborated question. :? What exactly do you mean here and what exactly are you looking for?

I can separate works by continuities, or I can simply count everything. For the latter:

• Dragon Ball (anime), Dragon Ball Z (anime), Dragon Ball Online, Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Heroes (arcade), Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Dragon Ball (manga), Dragon Ball movies, Dragon Ball Heroes (manga), Dragon Ball Legends, Dragon Ball Heroes (anime), Dragon Ball Super (anime), Dragon Ball Super (manga), Dragon Ball Kai.

At any rate, all of this is a series independently of how you prefer to put it. They have a beginning, middle and end (well, some of them will reach that eventually).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pm

I think you could make the argument that GT is also the same series as DB/Z. Although it had no Manga equivalent, it was produced immediately after Z ended with the largely same staff as the previous anime, and was part of the original 1986-1997 broadcast.

I know some will say it isn't because of having no Manga version and no Toriyama, but many portions of the previous anime also didn't, such as Garlic Jr and the Otherworld Tournament. Plus Toriyama wasn't all that heavily evolved in the anime to begin with, beyond creating the Manga it was based off obviously.

You could easily just refer to all 3 as "the anime".

But they all "exist" because, well, they exist.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:16 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pmI think you could make the argument that GT is also the same series as DB/Z. Although it had no Manga equivalent, it was produced immediately after Z ended with the largely same staff as the previous anime, and was part of the original 1986-1997 broadcast.
From GT's page here on Kanzenshuu : "The main staff of the series also experienced some significant changes, with the majority leaving to pursue other endeavors".

It was produced after Z but that's it. It wasn't based off a manga like the other 2, A good number of the staff weren't involved, The art direction was completely different, The direction of the story and how fights were presented were also different, etc. You're right about Toriyama not being involved with the anime but him being the writer of what DB & Z were based off make him by default the main voice of them, something that GT also didn't have.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:29 pm

sintzu wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:16 pm
90sDBZ wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pmI think you could make the argument that GT is also the same series as DB/Z. Although it had no Manga equivalent, it was produced immediately after Z ended with the largely same staff as the previous anime, and was part of the original 1986-1997 broadcast.
From GT's page here on Kanzenshuu : "The main staff of the series also experienced some significant changes, with the majority leaving to pursue other endeavors".

It was produced after Z but that's it. It wasn't based off a manga like the other 2, A good number of the staff weren't involved, The art direction was completely different, The direction of the story and how fights were presented were also different, etc. You're right about Toriyama not being involved with the anime but him being the writer of what DB & Z were based off make him by default the main voice of them, something that GT also didn't have.
I knew some of the previous staff had left, but I didn't realise it was the majority.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:46 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pm I think you could make the argument that GT is also the same series as DB/Z. Although it had no Manga equivalent, it was produced immediately after Z ended with the largely same staff as the previous anime, and was part of the original 1986-1997 broadcast.

I know some will say it isn't because of having no Manga version and no Toriyama, but many portions of the previous anime also didn't, such as Garlic Jr and the Otherworld Tournament. Plus Toriyama wasn't all that heavily evolved in the anime to begin with, beyond creating the Manga it was based off obviously.

Different art direction, different composer, not based on the manga. It’s really impossible to view GT as being the same series as DB and Z. It feels like a follow-up and not the same show with Z added to the title and a new opening and ending theme.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:52 pm

The franchise have 801 episodes with Toei's counting.
DB: 153
DBZ: 291 + 2 specials
DBGT: 64 + 1 special
DBKai: 159
DBSuper: 131

So 5.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z (I include Kai with Z) are one series

Dragon Ball GT

So 2.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:59 am I can't really answer the question until I know what exactly is meant by "exist". Is that exist as in "the good ones"? Exist as in "the relevant ones"? Exist as in "the canon ones"? Or exist as in "the ones I like the most"? There's a lot of ways to take that!
It doesn't have to do with canon etc. It's more like what would you answer to someone if he/she asked you how many DragonBall series are there. And if you think that DBZ Kai, DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters and DB Heroes should be included in the list with the rest of the series (DB, DBZ, DBGT, DB Super).

Sani007 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:52 pm The franchise have 801 episodes with Toei's counting.

So 5.
According to Toei Animation, DBZ Kai and DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters are 2 different series.
http://www.toei-animation-usa.com/dragon-ball.html

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:18 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10 pm According to Toei Animation, DBZ Kai and DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters are 2 different series.
They are for marketing reasons. In terms of structure, like DB & Z, they're one series. Kai TFC even starts with ep99.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:59 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10 pm
KBABZ wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:59 am I can't really answer the question until I know what exactly is meant by "exist". Is that exist as in "the good ones"? Exist as in "the relevant ones"? Exist as in "the canon ones"? Or exist as in "the ones I like the most"? There's a lot of ways to take that!
It doesn't have to do with canon etc. It's more like what would you answer to someone if he/she asked you how many DragonBall series are there. And if you think that DBZ Kai, DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters and DB Heroes should be included in the list with the rest of the series (DB, DBZ, DBGT, DB Super).
Well in that case I'd probably say...

"There's several. You've got Dragon Ball, Z and GT, the classics, you have Z Kai and The Final Chapters that remove a lot of Z's filler, then of course you've got Super as the second attempt at following up Z. And if you want, Heroes, which is its own thing entirely".

This feels like a rhetorical question to me. If somebody asks me how many series that exist, I'll reply with how many series there are.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:55 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pm I think you could make the argument that GT is also the same series as DB/Z. Although it had no Manga equivalent, it was produced immediately after Z ended with the largely same staff as the previous anime, and was part of the original 1986-1997 broadcast.

This is why many people consider it more canon than the 2010s stuff. It has the same animation style (cel, not digital) and was produced immediately following Dragon Ball Z. No matter how much people like Toriyama give their seal of approval to the new stuff they will still never have those circumstances behind them
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:25 am

if someone say that a series exists or does not exist only because "I don' t like" is a bit closed of mind ...

but well if talking about new series with different themes and similar duration they are 4
DB DBZ DBS DBGT
even if we talk about "canon" the series will continue to exist but would enter another category

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:14 am

TheRed259 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10 pm
Sani007 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:52 pm The franchise have 801 episodes with Toei's counting.

So 5.
According to Toei Animation, DBZ Kai and DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters are 2 different series.
This is the international version with 69 episodes of Boo saga.
Here is an article from from Toei with the 100th episode of Super.

https://twitter.com/herms98/status/888572303998464000