When Goten saw Buu killing Chi-Chi, why didn't he get any kind of powerup?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

When Goten saw Buu killing Chi-Chi, why didn't he get any kind of powerup?

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:17 pm

I mean, he just witnessed the last member of his family (not counting Ox King and Gohan who he thought was dead but actually wasn't) get murdered right in front of of his 2 eyes. When something similar happened to Goku, Gohan and Future Trunks, they snapped and got powerups. Even Vegeta got a powerup when his Bulma got slapped by a God. Goten on the other hand didn't. All he did was become motivated to train so that he can kill Buu, which went nowhere since once he fused with Trunks he didn't take anything that was happening around him seriously, almost like he forgot what Buu did to his family members.
Last edited by DestructoDisc on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: When Goten saw Buu killing Chi-Chi, why didn't he get any kind of powerup?

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:23 pm

Goku didn't get a power up every time something bad happened to someone he cared about. Goten was already able to turn SSJ. Did Goku get a power up when he found Kuririn's dead body after the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:46 pm

I don't think anyone likes Chi-Chi enough to get a power up over her death, even her own son. :lol:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:34 pm

sintzu wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:46 pm I don't think anyone likes Chi-Chi enough to get a power up over her death, even her own son. :lol:
I was about to say that :) In TFS, Gohan even said "Oh, thank God, i mean..." when Cell killed Chi-Chi :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:30 pm

I was always think that scene is really useless could have worked in gohan in cell games and how it would have affected the death of his parents staying alone with their newborn brother might have decided to have a life very different from the one he has now or it would have understood better the reason of he retired the fights to be able to take care of his younger brother, anyway is speculation
sintzu wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:46 pm I don't think anyone likes Chi-Chi enough to get a power up over her death, even her own son. :lol:
:lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Who's to say Gohan didn't? He's told by Piccolo to not go out and fight after all.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:35 pm

It's funny that you mentioned Future Trunks. In Super, when Black killed Bulma, his mother and last living relative, and Mai, his dear friend, right in front of his eyes, he didn't get any power-up at all. Then when Black and Zamasu blame him for what happened and are being mean, he suddenly achieves a new transformation lol.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:41 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:35 pm It's funny that you mentioned Future Trunks. In Super, when Black killed Bulma, his mother and last living relative, and Mai, his dear friend, right in front of his eyes, he didn't get any power-up at all. Then when Black and Zamasu blame him for what happened and are being mean, he suddenly achieves a new transformation lol.
It goes to show how all over the place Super's writing was.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:42 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:35 pm It's funny that you mentioned Future Trunks. In Super, when Black killed Bulma, his mother and last living relative, and Mai, his dear friend, right in front of his eyes, he didn't get any power-up at all. Then when Black and Zamasu blame him for what happened and are being mean, he suddenly achieves a new transformation lol.
It was fatigue I suppose and because by that point they did not even have to eat.
in the other scene he had already recovered energy in addition to having a training ... quite mysterious

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:57 pm

He didn't get a powerup. Instead he got motivated to take the threat seriously and train hard, which is the same thing powerups like that serve in the narrative.

It was also forgotten about when Gotenks showed up, which is why that section of the Buu arc is awful, but that's neither here nor there. Either way, people need to stop obsessing over the "mechanics" of emotion-driven powerups. Dragon Ball isn't that kind of show. They even a joke about that very idea in Super Broly.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:28 pm

Dude was small child...what d'ya expect

Besides...isnt acheiving Super Saiyan at such young age already considered.....a power-up. So to speak.

He saw Chichi slaughtered. Which served as motivation for him to train harder & not play games anymore as they did b4.

But UNLIKE Chibi Goku & Gohan who during their young days had clear sense "responsibility" and understood the weight dat thry have on their backs (Red Ribbon & Piccolo Daimou Arc~Goku with Namek & Frieza Arc~Gohan)

These kids were born into a peaceful, unchallenging world. Thus, their mindset regarding concept of taking the brunt of their actions, be it good or bad & compass of justice are just as good as their age: 7 & 8 year old childrens

As such, if u noticed Boo Arc was jiggling between comedy & serious tone. "Chichi being murdered" or "Gohan & Vegeta being murdered" were simply relegated to background information once the fight inside ROSAT btween Gotenks & Super Boo takes place with all those Supa Ghost Kamikaze Attack, Galactica Donut etc

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:54 pm

because toriyama didn't wanted to that's all, it's a stupid question lol, it's not like if DB was having a really complicated scenarios and that there was hidden hint everywhere, (even toriyama forget what he did before sometimes and he said it) it was about goten and Trunks Fusion in that part so a powerup would have been stupid (like this kind of question) and anyway he didn't even probably think about this rules, so just didn't do it