Dragon Ball Super: Broli Blu-ray Corrected Subtitles (FUNi AND Manga UK)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball Super: Broli Blu-ray Corrected Subtitles (FUNi AND Manga UK)

Post by Forte224 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:37 pm

EDIT: Clarity

Hey all. I created an altered version of the subtitles for the Broli movie that aims to get rid of the dub names that fans of the Japanese version commonly voice disdain over, and revert them back to the spellings that are considered more acceptable. I haven't edited subtitles before, but I got a good grasp on it and I think it all turned out good. I did two versions, one for the FUNi version and one for the Manga UK version, as the two don't completely sync up. Here is what I changed:

-Frieza to Freeza
-Kakarot to Kakarrot
-Senzu Bean to Senzu
-Bulla to Bra (FUNi version only, as Manga UK fixed it)
Shenron to Shen Long (FUNi version only, Manga UK fixed it)
-"My Broly will be killed" to "I'll end up getting killed by Broly" (FUNi version only, as Manga UK also fixed this)
-Some random spelling mistakes

Now, as regards notable things I left alone:

-Beerus, as it is accurate, and personally I like it more than Beers, and the majority of fans of the Japanese version appear to use “Beerus” and are fine with it
-Broly, as even the Japanese subtitle for the movie spells it this way so to me it would be a strange inconsistency to use “Broli”, and the majority of Japanese version fans seem to stick to this spelling. It’s also what you are used to if you watch the previous Broli movies on anything but FUNi’s original singles
-"English" spellings in the Manga UK version and "American" spellings in the FUNi version (like "marvellous" vs "marvelous")

Manga UK subtitle file
FUNimation subtitle file
MakeMKV to rip your disc to the PC
MKVToolNix to mux the video, audio, and new subtitle file together
Finally, here is a tutorial for using MakeMKV and MKVToolNix if you aren't familiar with them, though they are pretty easy

Let me know if there is anything in those files that I missed, though I triple checked and am pretty confident it all worked out fine.

FUN FACT: This project taught me that Kuririn is not mentioned in the movie at all.
Last edited by Forte224 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broli Blu-ray Corrected Subtitles (FUNi AND Manga UK)

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:28 am

Forte224 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:37 pm -B̶r̶o̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶B̶r̶o̶l̶i̶ (seems I was incorrect here, Simmons uses "Broly". Sorry about that, it is fixed)
This is (presumably) another mandated change, considering "Broli" was indeed used before this:

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:07 am

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:28 am
Forte224 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:37 pm -B̶r̶o̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶B̶r̶o̶l̶i̶ (seems I was incorrect here, Simmons uses "Broly". Sorry about that, it is fixed)
This is (presumably) another mandated change, considering "Broli" was indeed used before this:

My Broly the Legendary Super Saiyan Blu-ray and DVD both say “Broly”. So I was basing the change on that. Also the Japanese poster for DBS Broly spells it “Broly”.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:38 am

Forte224 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:07 am

My Broly the Legendary Super Saiyan Blu-ray and DVD both say “Broly”. So I was basing the change on that. Also the Japanese poster for DBS Broly spells it “Broly”.
That's because you're watching the double-features. If you watched the original DVD singles -- which uses Simmons' subs as-is, and is the source of VegettoEX's screenshot -- you'll see "Broli". Some names were changed from the singles to the double-features, such as Burdock becoming Bardock.
Forte224 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:37 pm -Beerus, as I believe that is more accurate than Beers and definitely more so than Bills
Simmons uses Beers, I'm pretty sure, so if you're aiming to match Simmons, you should go with Beers.

As for accuracy, Beerus and Beers are both valid renderings of the name, both of which have pluses and minuses; the only thing that makes one "Better" than the other is simply that certain versions prefer one spelling over another. Simmons seems to prefer Beers, Funi's dub team seem to prefer Beerus. Neither is better or worse than the other.

See also: Bulma vs Blooma vs Buruma etc., or the many ways one could localise the name of Reacoom, or Kuririn vs Krillin vs Kurilin, etc. etc. One isn't better than another, just certain translators render it different ways.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:51 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:38 am
Forte224 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:07 am

That's because you're watching the double-features. If you watched the original DVD singles -- which uses Simmons' subs as-is, and is the source of VegettoEX's screenshot -- you'll see "Broli". Some names were changed from the singles to the double-features, such as Burdock becoming Bardock.
Forte224 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:37 pm -Beerus, as I believe that is more accurate than Beers and definitely more so than Bills
Simmons uses Beers, I'm pretty sure, so if you're aiming to match Simmons, you should go with Beers.

As for accuracy, Beerus and Beers are both valid renderings of the name, both of which have pluses and minuses; the only thing that makes one "Better" than the other is simply that certain versions prefer one spelling over another. Simmons seems to prefer Beers, Funi's dub team seem to prefer Beerus. Neither is better or worse than the other.

See also: Bulma vs Blooma vs Buruma etc., or the many ways one could localise the name of Reacoom, or Kuririn vs Krillin vs Kurilin, etc. etc. One isn't better than another, just certain translators render it different ways.
Well, I’m going to assume the “Broly” change wasn’t a mandate by Toei back then the way “Frieza” is in this new release. Plus like I mentioned the Japanese subtitle for the movie is also spelled “Broly”.

And yes, I’m going for Simmons but Beerus is my one exception. Like you said, there’s nothing wrong with it and personally I don’t really like Beers. I also don’t really see anyone using Beers the way I see people use Kuririn and Freeza and whatnot.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:46 pm

Forte224 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:51 am And yes, I’m going for Simmons but Beerus is my one exception. Like you said, there’s nothing wrong with it and personally I don’t really like Beers. I also don’t really see anyone using Beers the way I see people use Kuririn and Freeza and whatnot.
Except if the idea is to "Fix" these subs, then you're not fixing them if there's still one great, big, gaping inconsistency with Simmons' subs for Super.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:46 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:46 pm
Forte224 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:51 am And yes, I’m going for Simmons but Beerus is my one exception. Like you said, there’s nothing wrong with it and personally I don’t really like Beers. I also don’t really see anyone using Beers the way I see people use Kuririn and Freeza and whatnot.
Except if the idea is to "Fix" these subs, then you're not fixing them if there's still one great, big, gaping inconsistency with Simmons' subs for Super.
I'm fixing them to be accurate. Beerus is still accurate. I suppose using Simmons’s name at all was a mistake. I simply don't want to see the dub names anymore. I fixed that. So what was definitively incorrect is fixed.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:50 am

Forte224 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:46 pm
I'm fixing them to be accurate. Beerus is still accurate. I suppose using Simmons’s name at all was a mistake. I simply don't want to see the dub names anymore. I fixed that. So what was definitively incorrect is fixed.
But Beerus is a dub name, just like Frieza is a dub name. Technically, Frieza is an acceptable spelling. Ditto for Kakarot and Shenron. If you're going for "Accuracy" and ignoring Simmons, you have nothing to go off of aside from personal preference. And at that point, you're not fixing the subs, you're just adjusting them to fit your own personal preferences. Especially since you're changing "Bulla" to "Bra". Any argument -- aside from "Sticking it to the man" in regards to censorship and sexism -- that could be made in favour of changing "Bulla" to "Bra" could be made for changing "Beerus" to "Beers". See also: Jeice vs Jheese, Burter vs Butta, and every other name that can romanise to either be an existing word, or be almost identical to an existing word, but for some reason Funi's dubs don't do that.

And remember, a lot of the criticism levelled at the Toei-mandated change was that the Super BDs had used Simmons' names, just like DB, Z, GT, and the pre-Broly movies always had, so it's inconsistent. A "Fix" would be to bring consistency back, not add a third set of slightly divergent names.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:35 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:50 am
Forte224 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:46 pm

But Beerus is a dub name, just like Frieza is a dub name. Technically, Frieza is an acceptable spelling. Ditto for Kakarot and Shenron. If you're going for "Accuracy" and ignoring Simmons, you have nothing to go off of aside from personal preference. And at that point, you're not fixing the subs, you're just adjusting them to fit your own personal preferences. Especially since you're changing "Bulla" to "Bra". Any argument -- aside from "Sticking it to the man" in regards to censorship and sexism -- that could be made in favour of changing "Bulla" to "Bra" could be made for changing "Beerus" to "Beers". See also: Jeice vs Jheese, Burter vs Butta, and every other name that can romanise to either be an existing word, or be almost identical to an existing word, but for some reason Funi's dubs don't do that.

And remember, a lot of the criticism levelled at the Toei-mandated change was that the Super BDs had used Simmons' names, just like DB, Z, GT, and the pre-Broly movies always had, so it's inconsistent. A "Fix" would be to bring consistency back, not add a third set of slightly divergent names.
Here, I’ll spell it out, on the nose, hyper accurately to what my intention was: I got rid of the name spellings that the majority of fans of the Japanese version voice their disdain over. Most don’t like Frieza, Shenron, Bulla. I have seen very few complain about Beerus and Broly.

This was a personal thing I did for myself. Once it was done I decided hey, why not upload it, since many in that very thread I created in General Franchise Discussions were upset about changes like “Frieza”. That’s all. If anyone likes, they can download the subtitle file, open Subtitle Edit, change Beerus to Beers, and reupload it. It will take 5 or 10 minutes from download to upload. But this is my project, and I clearly listed Beerus in the exceptions as early as the OP.

I also stated in my previous post that using the name “Simmons” at all was probably a mistake. If at that point my intention to get rid of the names that are notably disliked, and even hated, by fans of the Japanese version was not clear before, then I certainly hope it is now.

Asmo

Post by Asmo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:16 pm

Thanks for these! They'll be useful for the Australian release (that I got three days early) :D

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:20 am

Asmo wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:16 pm Thanks for these! They'll be useful for the Australian release (that I got three days early) :D
No problem, glad to help! Enjoy!

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:24 pm

I'm thinking of importing a Japanese Blu-ray of Broly to try this with. Would the Manga UK sub track work better, or would the Funimation track work better? I know that Manga UK's Blu-ray has a similar encoding to Toei's Blu-ray, but I just want to be sure.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.