UPDATE: Fixed subtitle files added to OP. The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:54 am

The news Manga UK hinted at yesterday is an upgrade for all standard Blu-ray sets to a limited edition collector's set for the same price. If you have the standard Blu-ray (not the steelbook) preordered, you'll get upgraded automatically. If not, you can order it. Apparently it's a 'once it's gone it's gone' situation like the US steelbooks. There's also another collector's edition exclusive a UK shop called Sainsbury’s.

https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/1118834526636118017

I have the steelbook preordered but I'm kind of a sucker for these (I still need to pick up the collector's edition of Resurrection F...), so I ordered this one too. There's not much of a reason to keep the UK steelbook order now since I already have the US one, but I'm undecided if I'm going to cancel it yet or not because now I'm a sucker for those too.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:10 am

Char Aznable wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:54 am The news Manga UK hinted at yesterday is an upgrade for all standard Blu-ray sets to a limited edition collector's set for the same price. If you have the standard Blu-ray (not the steelbook) preordered, you'll get upgraded automatically. If not, you can order it. Apparently it's a 'once it's gone it's gone' situation like the US steelbooks. There's also another collector's edition exclusive a UK shop called Sainsbury’s.

I have the steelbook preordered but I'm kind of a sucker for these (I still need to pick up the collector's edition of Resurrection F...), so I ordered this one too. There's not much of a reason to keep the UK steelbook order now since I already have the US one, but I'm undecided if I'm going to cancel it yet or not because now I'm a sucker for those too.
I think I'll stick with the normal version just so that it remains consistent with the BoG and RoF Blu-Ray boxes which are the normal ones. Shame they haven't decided to make an extended, "non-corset" cut of the movie because I think Broly could really do with that.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:39 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:10 am
Char Aznable wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:54 am The news Manga UK hinted at yesterday is an upgrade for all standard Blu-ray sets to a limited edition collector's set for the same price. If you have the standard Blu-ray (not the steelbook) preordered, you'll get upgraded automatically. If not, you can order it. Apparently it's a 'once it's gone it's gone' situation like the US steelbooks. There's also another collector's edition exclusive a UK shop called Sainsbury’s.

I think I'll stick with the normal version just so that it remains consistent with the BoG and RoF Blu-Ray boxes which are the normal ones. Shame they haven't decided to make an extended, "non-corset" cut of the movie because I think Broly could really do with that.
I believe they said they're upgrading all normal versions automatically, so you may end up getting this one anyway. You may have to wait to order if you don't want it. As for the extended cut of the movie, the scenes either don't exist in animated form or Toei is just unwilling to give them out, I'm sure even FUNi would be all over that if they did.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:12 am

That.. that's it? Those are the extras? I'm glad there's no green tint but being bare bones on extras is pretty terrible because I'd like to watch 'em.

Whether the Steelbook Blu-ray or the Standard Blu-ray, neither seem better than the other but the SB comes with a DVD version disc.

I'm gonna cancel it then because it's not what I wanted it to be.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:12 am

That.. that's it? Those are the extras? I'm glad there's no green tint but being bare bones on extras is pretty terrible because I'd like to watch 'em.

Whether the Steelbook Blu-ray or the Standard Blu-ray, neither seem better than the other but the SB comes with a DVD version disc.

I think I'm in the minority when it comes to DVD/Blu-ray extras, I almost never actually check out the on-disc extras because 95% of them never seem to interest me. I'm more into physical stuff that comes with the disc (steelbook case, art cards, pre-order bonuses, etc.), so the lack of extras on the UK version wasn't really a problem for me. Different people are in to different things, I guess.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:07 am

Char Aznable wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 amI think I'm in the minority when it comes to DVD/Blu-ray extras, I almost never actually check out the on-disc extras because 95% of them never seem to interest me. I'm more into physical stuff that comes with the disc (steelbook case, art cards, pre-order bonuses, etc.), so the lack of extras on the UK version wasn't really a problem for me. Different people are in to different things, I guess.
At the very least Manga could have included a booklet for the Steelbook Blu-ray but not even that. The art cards look too simplistic to me, though I'll say the BoG ones looked really nice and even the odd Resurrection of Freeza ones too.

I guess I'll just order when the price drops. I can't justify paying retail price for a product that lacks content for me.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:02 pm

After some time to mull it over I think I'll cancel the collector's edition order and just keep the UK steelbook. Yeah I'll have two steelbooks, but I'm a completionist and it looks like there were also UK collector's editions for Battle of Gods and Resurrection F, with RoF still readily available and BoG long out of print and apparently impossible to find. It's more money and shelf space I don't have to spend on these movies when I already own them.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:17 pm

You're trying to find this?

It's nothing necessarily too special but it's a cool collectible. If only for the art cards.

Super Broly releases are all flawed in one way or another but at least technically Manga UK's is better than FUNimation for not having that cursed green tint. I suppose there's nothing they can legally do to avoid using "Frieza" since that's required by TOEI.

It would be kinda funny if FUNimation's 30th Anniversary Blu-ray release of Dragon Ball Z had its subs full of dubisms. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:36 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:12 am That.. that's it? Those are the extras? I'm glad there's no green tint but being bare bones on extras is pretty terrible because I'd like to watch 'em.

Honestly these days I've gotten pretty jaded with BTS stuff, particularly after Star Wars. A lot of it tends to be more promotional/self-servicing, where you don't gain any insight because it's all "we're the best, the movie was great, please be excited", which is what I got out of the modern Star Wars behind the scenes material. Unless it's long enough to actually be extensive like Red Dwarf or Lord of the Rings (or pre-Disney Star Wars!), then it usually falls into that category. Stuff like "Interview with Sabat" tends to not be informative either, they may as well be IGN Comic-Con interviews.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:50 pm

That's the one. Amazon UK has one used copy from a questionable store with an 88% rating for £40, and I only found one seller on eBay with it selling for what would end up being $125 shipped to the US, so I'd end up way overpaying for the Resurrection F collector's edition which I could still get new from Amazon UK for only £20, so that's not really worth it.

So I'll just keep the steelbook, have two steelbooks, and probably just call it a day there.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:44 pm

For what it's worth, the Xfinity version doesn't seem to have much of a green tint.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:13 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:17 pm It would be kinda funny if FUNimation's 30th Anniversary Blu-ray release of Dragon Ball Z had its subs full of dubisms. :lol:
Yeah...as a Dragon Box owner it's really hard for me to justify purchasing the 30th anniversary set with the DNR issues. If that set was forced to have dub names in the subtitles, it'd be a hard pass from me. And this is coming from someone who is a huge DBZ fan and has the money to drop on that set RIGHT NOW if I thought the product was up to par. Shame that FUNi can't learn from its mistakes.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:43 pm

Sorry to bump this, but I know not everyone here checks the Fan Created Works section. I decided to go ahead and create fixed subtitle files for both the FUNi and Manga UK releases of the Broli movie. It mainly fixes dub names but also fixes a mistranslated line from Paragus in the FUNi version. Here is the link to the forum post if you are interested.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: UPDATE: Fixed subtitle files added to OP. The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request.

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:32 pm

Toei are really doubling down on this "Frieza" for all of overseas. All over the China promotion and even Korea merch has started spelling it like that too. I don't like it. At all.

It's like all these companies involved with DB have to make shit decisions on a regular basis. It's 2019 DB just had a successful film, one of the series is celebrating their 30th anniversary but instead we are constantly hit with shit-ness. The more money DB makes the worse things get for us fans. /:

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Re: UPDATE: Fixed subtitle files added to OP. The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request.

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:00 pm

Man, If I knew how to import and was old enough, I would immediately import the Manga UK release over buying the US release. That way I don't have to deal with this green tint and having "Bulla" in the subtitles.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:47 am

For what it's worth, the Portuguese DVD release spells his name sanely in the subtitles. Even though it's the only thing they actually spelled right...

Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.