Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:19 pm

I don't know why anyone would have ill will toward a dub. As if someone went, "Hey, guy; no more Japanese one! Muahaha!"

I'd love to see as many versions as possible. I think the dubs add a fresh coat of paint. I can enjoy DBZ in five different ways: Japanese, original Funi dub, Funi's re-dub, Ocean/Westwood, and Latin American dub. And three of those have essentially the same script.

I understand fans wanting other fans to get the "true" story, but if fans enjoy a dub that changed everything (which thankfully Funi didn't do), then how can anyone say that's wrong? Especially with so much access to the original.

The more, the merrier, I say.

With that, I seriously doubt we'll be getting an Ocean Kai. Too much time has passed and outside of us -- a rather niche market -- I'm not so sure that the demand is there. I think Ocean would fare better trying to do Super, which isn't happening.

But with Funimation's spread and accessibility to it, I doubly see why anyone would pay to do two English dubs -- even though they exist for Kai and early Super (Bang Zoom).

I don't know, I don't have hope for it. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:27 pm

You havent seen the 4kids One Piece dub.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:43 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:27 pm You havent seen the 4kids One Piece dub.
So what? It didn't replace the Japanese One Piece nor Funimation's dub, right? So what's the problem?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:47 pm

Oops! I misunsdertood, I thought you never saw anyone hate a dub for any reason...

...And I will have you know that Latin America hasnt redubbed the show after using the 4kids version and thus people from that region have plenty of reasons to hate it still.

EDIT: And now people who cant read or see will never get to watch One Piece in Latin American Spanish. All thanks to 4kids.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:58 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:47 pm

EDIT: And now people who cant read or see will never get to watch One Piece in Latin American Spanish. All thanks to 4kids.
I dont think people who can't see would be watching a cartoon in the first place.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:12 pm

I'm about to apologize if I come across as really butthurt and or rude, but GOD that's a really fucked up way of thinking. I have more than one friends that are blind and LOVE anime, one in Particular that LOVES Dragon Ball for instance and helps him feel happy. How DARE you say that?

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:10 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:43 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:27 pm You havent seen the 4kids One Piece dub.
So what? It didn't replace the Japanese One Piece nor Funimation's dub, right? So what's the problem?
Whilst I agree with you, I'd just like to say that I think the hatred towards the 4kids dub of One Piece stemmed from the fact it painted a very bad picture of what the series was all about. There was a dark time in America for One Piece in the mid 2000s where a majority of people formed their opinion of it based on the shoddy script, ear grating voice acting and censorship. I think the hatred toward it was pretty justified as it was/is pretty well loved everywhere else and America had a poor representation of it. Fortunately that's no longer the case so the 4kids thing is pretty irrelevant now.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:45 pm

So for those that don't know, Dragon Ball Super: Broly is slated to air on one of Crave's linear channels (formerly The Movie Network) next Wednesday night at 7:15pm EST. These channels are of course owned by Bell, the same company that owns the upcoming Wow! Unlimited network.

This could just be a happy coincidence, but I think it bodes well for Dragon Ball's future with Bell Media.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:04 am

GokuDaimao wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:45 pm So for those that don't know, Dragon Ball Super: Broly is slated to air on one of Crave's linear channels (formerly The Movie Network) next Wednesday night at 7:15pm EST. These channels are of course owned by Bell, the same company that owns the upcoming Wow! Unlimited network.

This could just be a happy coincidence, but I think it bodes well for Dragon Ball's future with Bell Media.
Fingers crossed!

I have long since accepted that we may never see this dub, but I have no problem whatsoever being wrong in this instance.

EDIT:.........On the other hand..................while this may bode well for Dragon Ball's future with Bell Media, it doesn't necessarily bode well for the Ocean dub's future with Bell Media. We already know from accidentally-intercepted-because-they-were-sent-to-the-wrong-people emails that Toei's representative was pushing the FUNimation dub and trying to discourage the Ocean dub, and the fact that they're airing a FUNimation-dubbed movie may...ehhh....not be the best sign after all. It's certainly not conclusive, and the movie of course obviously only has one English dub, but this could be taken as a hint that they've developed a business relationship with FUNimation.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:59 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:04 amWhile this may bode well for Dragon Ball's future with Bell Media, it doesn't necessarily bode well for the Ocean dub's future with Bell Media. We already know from accidentally-intercepted-because-they-were-sent-to-the-wrong-people emails that Toei's representative was pushing the FUNimation dub and trying to discourage the Ocean dub, and the fact that they're airing a FUNimation-dubbed movie may...ehhh....not be the best sign after all. It's certainly not conclusive, and the movie of course obviously only has one English dub, but this could be taken as a hint that they've developed a business relationship with FUNimation.
I knew someone would say that! The thing is, Bell by themselves wouldn't go through all of the legal wranglings that it would take to commission a Canadian dub of the movie, and 20th Century-Fox may have something to say about that as well. Meanwhile, with Kai, the Canadian dub has already been approved by all of the parties involved with that, so of course if Kai were to air on the network, they would use that version, first and foremost, in my opinion. Plus with Wow! Unlimited involved, and Marni Shulman hearing all of our voices, she wouldn't let the former happen.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:14 am

GokuDaimao wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:59 amPlus with Wow! Unlimited involved, and Marni Shulman hearing all of our voices, she wouldn't let the former happen.
Eh, she might, and we shouldn't be mad at her if she does. After all, her employer is Wow!, not us, and if her superiors ultimately tell her that getting the FUNimation dub is what's best for the company, that's what she should do.

That said, I agree, she seems really nice and willing to listen to the fans. I won't blame her in the slightest if Wow! either gets the FUNimation dub or doesn't get Kai at all, but if she manages to pull off the acquisition of the Ocean dub--which she seems very open to trying for--then she'd be nothing short of awesome!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:18 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:14 am
GokuDaimao wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:59 amPlus with Wow! Unlimited involved, and Marni Shulman hearing all of our voices, she wouldn't let the former happen.
Eh, she might, and we shouldn't be mad at her if she does. After all, her employer is Wow!, not us, and if her superiors ultimately tell her that getting the FUNimation dub is what's best for the company, that's what she should do.

That said, I agree, she seems really nice and willing to listen to the fans. I won't blame her in the slightest if Wow! either gets the FUNimation dub or doesn't get Kai at all, but if she manages to pull off the acquisition of the Ocean dub--which she seems very open to trying for--then she'd be nothing short of awesome!
You're right about that. We already know she put her damnedest in trying to get "our" dub, and it'll just be communication failure per usual if she doesn't get it for us. I'll still toast to her any day.

You have to remember though, FUNimation-dubbed Dragon Ball episodes and specials co-existed with Ocean-dubbed episodes and specials when the franchise aired on YTV back in the day. I don't see it being vastly different here.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:27 am

GokuDaimao wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:18 am
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:14 am

You're right about that. We already know she put her damnedest in trying to get "our" dub, and it'll just be communication failure per usual if she doesn't get it for us. I'll still toast to her any day.
Oh, totally dude--I already thing she's awesome just for listening and trying, regardless of the outcome! :D
GokuDaimao wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:18 amYou have to remember though, FUNimation-dubbed Dragon Ball episodes and specials co-existed with Ocean-dubbed episodes and specials when the franchise aired on YTV back in the day. I don't see it being vastly different here.
Certainly true. Worst-case scenario, it certainly suggests that Wow! has not ruled out Dragon Ball or anime in general!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:18 am

I wouldn't be lying if I said this had me a bit worried too. As far as we know Wow isn't going to air Super so Broly is not the ideal movie for introducing new audiences. The Pioneer trilogy would be a better choice due to it being loosely set during the time period Kai starts and new fans could get an introduction to McNeil, Henderson and other actors who will likely be in the Kai dub.

Not trying to be negative or rain on anyone's parade, but lets just hope this doesn't mean they've given up on the Ocean dub. Time will tell.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:32 am

I personally don't think a broadcast of the Broly movie is any indication for the future of the Kai dub. It's just an airing of a new-ish movie which happens all the time. At most I think they might pay attention to the ratings to see if there's a major spike of interest from viewers but even then that's a stretch and probably just wishful thinking. I can't imagine this will have any effect on the Kai situation at all, if they're still planning to air it.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:48 am

Xell wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:10 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:43 pm
Whilst I agree with you, I'd just like to say that I think the hatred towards the 4kids dub of One Piece stemmed from the fact it painted a very bad picture of what the series was all about. There was a dark time in America for One Piece in the mid 2000s where a majority of people formed their opinion of it based on the shoddy script, ear grating voice acting and censorship. I think the hatred toward it was pretty justified as it was/is pretty well loved everywhere else and America had a poor representation of it. Fortunately that's no longer the case so the 4kids thing is pretty irrelevant now.
Sure. And I get that some fans would want the series to not be judged by a sub-par dub. I get that. But, if someone watches that dub and knows nothing else, doesn't want to know anything else, and doesn't care enough to look past the shoddy dub to realize that there is another version out there which might be great, then that person wouldn't care enough about it anyway.

In today's world, we all know what an anime is. If you don't go, "Man, that voice acting is terrible, but the story as a whole is pretty fascinating; maybe I'd like the Japanese version," then I doubt that you're interested enough in it from the jump. As bad as the script might be, it doesn't change the entire story -- it can't. There are many well-known alternatives to a dub (Japanese, possible other dubs, manga). If a person doesn't seek them out, I don't think they are interested in the story enough to care.

I guess to put it simply, my point is that today's fan should know better than to judge an anime solely based on a bad dub.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:28 am

Airing the Broly movie is a sign of a good relationship with the license holder I would say!

Let's be honest, it's definitely the Funi dub of the movie, but as was pointed out here earlier, that shouldn't impact Ocean Kai's potential to air at all really. Just wish there was SOME update out there. Guess we got to wait till September 1st :'(
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:42 am

I still have this feeling that if they did confirm Kai, it might be Funimation's version. I think there's a better chance of them trying to get Super, honestly.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:52 pm

I'm more concerned with the fact that the next channel launch deadline is a little more than a month away and Wow's been completely silent.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:02 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:52 pm I'm more concerned with the fact that the next channel launch deadline is a little more than a month away and Wow's been completely silent.
Ditto. I think Michael Hirsh and company were expecting this overwhelming wave of support and financial backing and want to find more investors before giving us anything, which I vehemently believe is absolutely the wrong approach.