Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:31 pm that's also in the manga ... if you want to discuss the author's logic besides the record of things that bulma invent at the age of 14

that the trunks did not know how to drive the spaceship is mentioned in the series ...
Bulma was 16 when we first meet her and even if she was just 14, she at least hit puberty. Is Bra even 5 in that scene from Super? My thought is that if your foot can't reach the accelerator pedal in a car, you can't pilot a spaceship.

Trunks does know how to drive the ship in GT. We're not talking about Super.

What sense does it make to give Bra the spot that Trunks occupies in GT?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:42 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:35 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:31 pm that's also in the manga ... if you want to discuss the author's logic besides the record of things that bulma invent at the age of 14

that the trunks did not know how to drive the spaceship is mentioned in the series ...
Bulma was 16 when we first meet her and even if she was just 14, she at least hit puberty. Is Bra even 5 in that scene from Super? My thought is that if your foot can't reach the accelerator pedal in a car, you can't pilot a spaceship.

Trunks does know how to drive the ship in GT. We're not talking about Super.

What sense does it make to give Bra the spot that Trunks occupies in GT?
The child shown in that picture is actually Bulma. At this point in the timeline of Super, Bra is still an infant.

As a side note, it should also be pointed out that Bulma has now been retconned into having finished her education before she even met Goku, even though that actually contradicts the original manga.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:45 pm

the girl in the picture is bulma ...

it's in gt where they mention this ... is reason why goku and pan complained about way his driving

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:59 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:45 pm the girl in the picture is bulma ...

it's in gt where they mention this ... is reason why goku and pan complained about way his driving
Doesn't make the idea of a kid barely beyond a toddler being able to pilot a spaceship a good idea regardless if it's Bulma or Bra.

Trunks can and does competently fly the spaceship. I don't recall the scene in question where they complain about his driving, but my guess is you are dropping context. It sounds like maybe he had a rough landing one time. We are SHOWN he can pilot and fix the spaceship.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:38 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:36 pm Here’s an opinion that I know for a fact would’ve been unpopular four years ago, and one that I assume is still fairly unpopular today: I’m tired of Beerus and Whis. When they were first introduced in BoG, I, like most fans, thought they were fun and quirky characters who added something new to the franchise. At this point, though, they’re just played out. I’m tired of the same old gag about how much they love food, or how cranky Beerus is.
My thoughts exactly. Beerus and Whis overstayed their welcome, I wish Toriyama/Toyotaro had guts to finally kill them off in-screen, but that might never happen.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:51 pm Two specials that arent even written by Toriyama
That still are leaps and bounds better than anything he produced after the end of the original serialization.
Last edited by Noah on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:42 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:38 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:36 pm Here’s an opinion that I know for a fact would’ve been unpopular four years ago, and one that I assume is still fairly unpopular today: I’m tired of Beerus and Whis. When they were first introduced in BoG, I, like most fans, thought they were fun and quirky characters who added something new to the franchise. At this point, though, they’re just played out. I’m tired of the same old gag about how much they love food, or how cranky Beerus is.
My thoughts exactly. Beerus and Whis overstayed they welcome, I wish Toriyama/Toyotaro had guts to finally kill them off in-screen, but that might never happen.
I've seen this brought up a few times recently so it is getting a bit common to want them out of the spotlight.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Who do they want in the spotlight then?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:48 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:44 pm Who do they want in the spotlight then?
Well, the last arc of Super brought many opportunities with the other universes, so you could just explore some of this characters just fine.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:06 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:48 pm
Well, the last arc of Super brought many opportunities with the other universes, so you could just explore some of this characters just fine.
Here's an unpopular opinion - the multiverse is boring. It's not nearly as meaningful as its made out to be.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:59 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:06 pm Here's an unpopular opinion - the multiverse is boring. It's not nearly as meaningful as its made out to be.
It's not because it was introduced poorly: First we know about other universes and the "main" universe is called U7 and it's twin/equivalent is U6. But how he get into that? Because Beerus's fat brother shows up and a whole tournament is made because of the delicious foods of Earth.

Sometime passes then we finally get a Multiverse Tournament with all the other universes we had seen before, which in the beginning was cool because of the stakes and such... But why all of the sudden? Why not have a proper time to introduce every one of these other worlds, so the audience could actually be invested with them in a conflict of this magnitude?

My biggest gripe with the Multiverse concept is that: it pretends to make DB world bigger as it was, but it doesn't feel near as like it. Whis can travel just fine to U7 to U10 and it doesn't feel like another universe and yes another planet. The only few stances where I was invested by this concept was in a few episodes they showed Hit doing his job as a hitman in the U6 and the Pride Troopers dealing with threats in U11.

Though that are still a lot of things to be improved, I also wished DB alien designs were less generic.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:11 am

ABED wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:06 pmHere's an unpopular opinion - the multiverse is boring. It's not nearly as meaningful as its made out to be.
I'll go as far as to say it was terrible. The concept of a multiverse is one that takes years and multiple arcs to build up, yet super for some reason decided to throw two thirds of it into one arc. This resulted in half the universes being completely wasted. U6 which did get a standalone arc ended up being a poor version of U7. With how popular the franchise is and how long it'll be around, I'll never understand why they handled such a concept the way they did. They've introduced and teased so many great idea, yet they keep going back to the same old things we've seen for years such as more Broly, Freeza, & Trunks. They give us a great villain from U10 in Zamasu, but instead of exploring U10 and being introduced to new characters from there, they somehow thought it was a good idea to bring back Future Trunks and have the plot stuck in his lifeless timeline.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:38 am

ABED wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:06 pm
Noah wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:48 pm
Here's an unpopular opinion - the multiverse is boring. It's not nearly as meaningful as its made out to be.
I will be completely in disagreement the stories with the multiverse are the best of the series for me at least in the anime offered opponents and varied characters with different modes of fight reason why I would prefer to see a sadala arc than to be in namek again with moro
Last edited by Tai Lung on Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:44 am

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:11 amI'll go as far as to say it was terrible. The concept of a multiverse is one that takes years and multiple arcs to build up, yet super for some reason decided to throw two thirds of it into one arc. This resulted in half the universes being completely wasted. U6 which did get a standalone arc ended up being a poor version of U7. With how popular the franchise is and how long it'll be around, I'll never understand why they handled such a concept the way they did. They've introduced and teased so many great idea, yet they keep going back to the same old things we've seen for years such as more Broly, Freeza, & Trunks. They give us a great villain from U10 in Zamasu, but instead of exploring U10 and being introduced to new characters from there, they somehow thought it was a good idea to bring back Future Trunks and have the plot stuck in his lifeless timeline.
They probably should have used Marvel/DC's concept of Multiverse. Instead of finding other sentient beings once you cross from one Universe to another, you'd find your counterpart. Instead of Dragon Ball GT and the movies taking place in an alternate dimension of Universe 7, their events should have taken place in these other numbered Universes.

In this way you would spare yourself from the "need" to explore them. You'd assume the viewers have watched Dragon Ball GT and the movies. All you would need to do would be to provide a brief in-universe explanation to a certain "loose ends" (such as: this way would imply there is a Cooler in Universe 7, for instance. But not if you could come up with some justification).

Or you could simply ignore Dragon Ball GT and the movies and come up with other events, but still using the "counterparts" concept. But then I think we'd still be in square one. People would probably want these other Gokus and Vegetas to be explored.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:59 am

Grimlock wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:44 amThey probably should have used Marvel/DC's concept of Multiverse. Instead of finding other sentient beings once you cross from one Universe to another, you'd find your counterpart. Instead of Dragon Ball GT and the movies taking place in an alternate dimension of Universe 7, their events should have taken place in these other numbered Universes.

In this way you would spare yourself from the "need" to explore them. You'd assume the viewers have watched Dragon Ball GT and the movies. All you would need to do would be to provide a brief in-universe explanation to a certain "loose ends" (such as: this way would imply there is a Cooler in Universe 7, for instance. But not if you could come up with some justification).

Or you could simply ignore Dragon Ball GT and the movies and come up with other events, but still using the "counterparts" concept. But then I think we'd still be in square one. People would probably want these other Gokus and Vegetas to be explored.
Both concepts on paper or fine, the problem is how they're handled. Although your idea is easier, you'll have the same result as what we have now if done wrong : wasted potential. The problem is that no one wants to take the time to develop the ideas being presented.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:32 am

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:11 am
ABED wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:06 pmHere's an unpopular opinion - the multiverse is boring. It's not nearly as meaningful as its made out to be.
I'll go as far as to say it was terrible. The concept of a multiverse is one that takes years and multiple arcs to build up, yet super for some reason decided to throw two thirds of it into one arc. This resulted in half the universes being completely wasted. U6 which did get a standalone arc ended up being a poor version of U7. With how popular the franchise is and how long it'll be around, I'll never understand why they handled such a concept the way they did. They've introduced and teased so many great idea, yet they keep going back to the same old things we've seen for years such as more Broly, Freeza, & Trunks. They give us a great villain from U10 in Zamasu, but instead of exploring U10 and being introduced to new characters from there, they somehow thought it was a good idea to bring back Future Trunks and have the plot stuck in his lifeless timeline.
all ideas are still there I do not see why they were ruined could they have done better? yes, probably although I still consider the universe 6 with characters like hit in their role of killer and possible planet sadala something that interests me also toppo and pride troopers
Grimlock wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:44 am
sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:11 amI'll go as far as to say it was terrible. The concept of a multiverse is one that takes years and multiple arcs to build up, yet super for some reason decided to throw two thirds of it into one arc. This resulted in half the universes being completely wasted. U6 which did get a standalone arc ended up being a poor version of U7. With how popular the franchise is and how long it'll be around, I'll never understand why they handled such a concept the way they did. They've introduced and teased so many great idea, yet they keep going back to the same old things we've seen for years such as more Broly, Freeza, & Trunks. They give us a great villain from U10 in Zamasu, but instead of exploring U10 and being introduced to new characters from there, they somehow thought it was a good idea to bring back Future Trunks and have the plot stuck in his lifeless timeline.
They probably should have used Marvel/DC's concept of Multiverse. Instead of finding other sentient beings once you cross from one Universe to another, you'd find your counterpart. Instead of Dragon Ball GT and the movies taking place in an alternate dimension of Universe 7, their events should have taken place in these other numbered Universes.

although it would be a good way of into SSJ4 in the "canon" without interfering with the transformations with ki god because it is simply another goku
I only see it working with GT because it is significantly different with kid Goku and his universe as the twin.
but to use all the movies as universes would be to have several versions of goku and vegeta out there.
I only see it working if the movies were rewritten to adapt to canon how others universes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:34 am

It's not "wasted potential". You could never fully explore the multiverse or sufficiently. It's just more space. It's same song, different verse. What distinguishes one universe from another?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:39 am

ABED wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:34 amIt's not "wasted potential". You could never fully explore the multiverse or sufficiently.
Yes you can, One Piece being a great example of this.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:40 am

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:39 am
ABED wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:34 amIt's not "wasted potential". You could never fully explore the multiverse or sufficiently.
Yes you can, One Piece being a great example of this.
Never seen it, don't care to see it. It's nearly 1000 episodes. Talk about butter scrapped over too much bread.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:31 am

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:59 amBoth concepts on paper or fine, the problem is how they're handled. Although your idea is easier, you'll have the same result as what we have now if done wrong : wasted potential. The problem is that no one wants to take the time to develop the ideas being presented.
"Wasted potential" is Dragon Ball's nickname these days. The series could have been so much more than what it is today...
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:32 ambut to use all the movies as universes would be to have several versions of goku and vegeta out there..
That's precisely how it is in Marvel/DC. There are several versions of the characters.

Then again, Dragon Ball GT and a few movies would have to take place in the same Universe, because there are only twelve, and there are sixteen movies (three for Dragon Ball and thirteen for Dragon Ball Z. Not counting the retelling one and Movie 14 and Movie 15 for obvious reasons). We know that at least Movie 5 and Movie 6 can and should go along with Dragon Ball GT, for example.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:52 am

What is this grand idea being missed out on? All it sounds like is just exploring different planets. We saw that in GT. It sounds like what Goku did in the first few arcs, but writ large.