"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Gokitalo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:44 pm

shadowfox87 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:29 pm Also, it's cool to think that Kid Buu actually had some god ki. He would need to have a mix of mortal and god since his ki could be sensed.
Right, and maybe that's why Vegeta underestimated Kid Buu before Kid blew up Earth-- he could only sense a PART of Kid Buu's power. I did always find it weird that Vegeta had originally seemed to judge Kid Buu's strength by Buu's diminished stature, since Vegeta can sense ki (and likely would have done so in that moment), but this explanation covers that pretty nicely. Vegeta probably sensed a drop in mortal ki when he saw Super Buu turn into Kid Buu, and likely thought Buu's change in muscle mass was a consequence of that.

I was definitely wracking my brain to make sure the revelation about Buu checks out, and I think it does. It explains why Gray Buu was stronger than Good Buu, as well as why Kid Buu didn't get significantly weaker when Good Buu escaped from his body. I wonder how Buu's bodies divvied up South Kaioshin...

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:47 pm

I have to comment on Merus knowing about Buu splitting into his good and evil half's. They could have easily justified this by having Merus mention hearing of this from the Galactic Patrol files or from them poking around in Buu's Memories. Any of that is better than Merus just knowing what happened before.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:52 pm

I thought this chapter was ok but also felt kind of like an info dump/filler chapter.

I can't be the only one thinking that Uub might get introduced, which would retcon the end of Z.

Also Moro is getting kind of boring as nothing has moved forward as far as his character development goes. Merus continues to be a neat character though. His addition to the cast has been well done so far.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:55 pm

Goku and Vegeta are still vulnerable to the ki draining, even if they are aware of it and try to avoid it, I think it'll probably hit them again considering how things are going.
While I don't think it would be good to introduce fusions into this arc, I wonder if they will actually have Goku and Vegeta working together to bring Moro down instead of taking turns.

I hope the third wish isn't immortality, otherwise we have the whole "Oh boy, need to get Zeno to fix this up" again.
Still, he didn't wish to become younger and he didn't wish to restore his power. Maybe he got some type of immunity against sealing techniques?
Maybe I got it wrong, but when the Great Kaioshin bluffed about the sealing spell, Moro provoked him to use it and then realized that he couldn't do it because he lacked his original power.

Also, it's probably a mistake, but the last chapter ended with the Great Kaioshin with the Majin symbol in his belt, in this chapter it wasn't there anymore.
Kinda makes me wonder if he can still use Buu's body's properties, like regenerating, creating more limbs, etc.

Merus so far has been considerably skilled, I wonder if he's hiding anything or if it's just Deus Ex Machina stuff.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:47 pm I have to comment on Merus knowing about Buu splitting into his good and evil half's. They could have easily justified this by having Merus mention hearing of this from the Galactic Patrol files or from them poking around in Buu's Memories. Any of that is better than Merus just knowing what happened before.
Merus is still mysterious. We still didn't learn anything about him.
I personally think he's a god or magician who's just using the galactic patrol as cover

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:05 pm

Gokitalo wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:44 pm Right, and maybe that's why Vegeta underestimated Kid Buu before Kid blew up Earth-- he could only sense a PART of Kid Buu's power. I did always find it weird that Vegeta had originally seemed to judge Kid Buu's strength by Buu's diminished stature, since Vegeta can sense ki (and likely would have done so in that moment), but this explanation covers that pretty nicely. Vegeta probably sensed a drop in mortal ki when he saw Super Buu turn into Kid Buu, and likely thought Buu's change in muscle mass was a consequence of that.

I was definitely wracking my brain to make sure the revelation about Buu checks out, and I think it does. It explains why Gray Buu was stronger than Good Buu, as well as why Kid Buu didn't get significantly weaker when Good Buu escaped from his body. I wonder how Buu's bodies divvied up South Kaioshin...
Well, blowing up the Earth isn't exactly impressive as even first form Freeza with his finger could do that. Vegeta was only surprised that Kid Buu did it right away. Most villains have some intelligence and do not want to blow up the planet that they are on since they also get damaged by it. Kid Buu had no hesitation since all the 'Good' inside him was gone. That's what Vegeta was surprised about, not his power.

Vegeta and Goku both sensed a drop in ki and that makes sense as Super Buu would have both the powers of Mr. Buu and Kid Buu. Despite having some god ki, it doesn't change the fact that Super Buu > Kid Buu.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:14 pm

I really hope we get to Oob next arc man :|

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:28 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:36 pm
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:47 pm I have to comment on Merus knowing about Buu splitting into his good and evil half's. They could have easily justified this by having Merus mention hearing of this from the Galactic Patrol files or from them poking around in Buu's Memories. Any of that is better than Merus just knowing what happened before.
Merus is still mysterious. We still didn't learn anything about him.
I personally think he's a god or magician who's just using the galactic patrol as cover
They have hinted at none of that and I think what we have is what we are going to get unless something happens next chapter to change that.

Oracle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Oracle » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:27 pm

I love the manga and Buu appreciation, but this seriously terrible writing. Last chapter Goku and Vegeta were at the surface of Namek , then teleport just for some seconds to throw some punches and go back. And why are they confident with their stamina if from the beginning a weaker Moro could still handle them?

Also Meerus is an Angel or GoD or what? If he is does not reveal as a bad guy, there will be a riot.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:41 pm

Merus does feel like an author insert character to me. Not quite Marty Stu, but definitely not a typical character.

This chapter felt like a strange combination of filler/stalling for time, and exposition. I didn't enjoy it as much as other chapters in this arc. I can see how people would enjoy it and while it's not a bad chapter there's nothing in there for me personally.

I wish they didn't delay the reveal another month because it makes this month's chapter seem less important when you end on the same cliffhanger of "What's Moro's wish?" two months in a row.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:00 pm

45 pages and we're essentially back right where we started with a tiny bit of exposition.

This arc is pretty dull.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:19 pm

Chuquita wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:41 pm Merus does feel like an author insert character to me. Not quite Marty Stu, but definitely not a typical character.
I swear, every page he's on, I can hear Toyo in the distance yelling "LOOK AT HOW COOL MY OC IS, GUYS!"

I feel like this arc would be better if they had Jaco do all of this instead.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:24 pm

Captain Awesome wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:00 pm 45 pages and we're essentially back right where we started with a tiny bit of exposition.

This arc is pretty dull.
I'd have to disagree. While this chapter alone isnt all that much of a breath-taker (If not a bit underwhelming), the arc so far is easily better than both the tournament of power and universe 6 tournament arcs, with the Future Trunks Arc Being Debatable. Not to mention the villain has a really cool concept, and not just another villain who feels like they belong in Dragon Ball Multiverse. *Cough* Jiren *Cough*.
Kanassa wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:19 pm

I swear, every page he's on, I can hear Toyo in the distance yelling "LOOK AT HOW COOL MY OC IS, GUYS!"

This would not work. They had to have Merus because up to this point the entire Galactic Patrol has been a joke. Even thought Toyotaro is trying too hard to make him seem cool, Its better than having Jaco act out of character.
Last edited by Kaiza_Toshiyuki on Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:25 pm

Meh, I kinda like Merus. It's kinda neat seeing someone who doesn't quite measure up in terms of power still being able to pull their own weight and contribute.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:37 pm

Chuquita wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:41 pm Merus does feel like an author insert character to me. Not quite Marty Stu, but definitely not a typical character.

This chapter felt like a strange combination of filler/stalling for time, and exposition. I didn't enjoy it as much as other chapters in this arc. I can see how people would enjoy it and while it's not a bad chapter there's nothing in there for me personally.

I wish they didn't delay the reveal another month because it makes this month's chapter seem less important when you end on the same cliffhanger of "What's Moro's wish?" two months in a row.
There's nothing wrong with being a Mary Sue. It just means the reader is getting a deeper look into the author's feelings.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:56 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:25 pm Meh, I kinda like Merus. It's kinda neat seeing someone who doesn't quite measure up in terms of power still being able to pull their own weight and contribute.
Merus is definitely one of the biggest highlights this arc.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:19 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:24 pm Not to mention the villain has a really cool concept, and not just another villain who feels like they belong in Dragon Ball Multiverse. *Cough* Jiren *Cough*.
Kanassa wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:19 pm

This would not work. They had to have Merus because up to this point the entire Galactic Patrol has been a joke. Even thought Toyotaro is trying too hard to make him seem cool, Its better than having Jaco act out of character.
Moro has done nothing to make himself unique. He isn't 'just another villain', he's 'just another villain's semi-notable henchmen'.

They didn't 'had to have Meerus', all he's done is make little sense and very awkwardly not fit it.

Jaco wouldn't be acting out of character, he's shown that he can be competent before, though he'd actually perform these acts in much more entertaining ways. Having Jaco trip up and desperately scramble to keep the situation together as he's mid panic under his breath is far more engaging than Meerus trying to hard to be cool.
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:37 pm
There's nothing wrong with being a Mary Sue. It just means the reader is getting a deeper look into the author's feelings.
I don't know think linking to a five-year-old's twitter tantrum weaseling out of any actual explanation on why bad and boring writing is suddenly good really proves your point.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:36 pm

Merus may just be my favorite thing about this arc. He's so cool. There have been intelligent characters in Dragon Ball, but none feel as smart and generally competent as he does. I like the dynamic of him having to work with a bunch of idiots who do what they want, like the Saiyans and Boo. I really like the way he looks with his space helmet on. I wonder if any other aspects of his outfit will come into play? His version of the Taiyo-ken and swinging in on Moro were my two favorite scenes from the chapter.

On that note, I really liked the simple look of space as a backdrop. I hope they don't overdo the backgrounds it if this gets animated.

There's some effective meta logistical work going on in this chapter. We get a blatant explanation for how it sometimes appears Saiyans are fighting in space despite the fact that they're unable to, and we get a way to justify Goku's enthusiasm for meeting Oob at the end of the original series.

Looking forward to the next one! Not sure how it'll play out from here.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:44 pm

Yeah, despite the lack of progress, I think this chapter did a good job at explaining some things out and trying to connect with future events. The Merus’ sequence was a pleasant gift.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:59 pm

Kanassa wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:19 pm
Moro has done nothing to make himself unique.
Setting Aside his unique design and his inclusion as an ancient character, Is the fact that his magic counters Goku and Vegeta on a fundamental level not enough to make him unique?
He isn't 'just another villain', he's 'just another villain's semi-notable henchmen'.
Based on his act of killing his underling and seeing the rest of the universe as his food?
They didn't 'had to have Meerus', all he's done is make little sense and very awkwardly not fit it.
Perhaps, but it does a good job of expanding the Galactic Patrol beyond the only member we know.
Jaco wouldn't be acting out of character, he's shown that he can be competent before, though he'd actually perform these acts in much more entertaining ways. Having Jaco trip up and desperately scramble to keep the situation together as he's mid panic under his breath is far more engaging than Meerus trying to hard to be cool.
While he has been competent before, not on the same level of Merus. Had he come in and done to Moro what Merus did, it would have had a lot more fan backlash. Remember when Roshi came in with his false ultra instinct?

Introducing a new character who is the best of the best in the galactic patrol makes a lot more sense as to why he is so skilled, if not a bit annoying with how hard toyotaro is trying to make him seem so cool. It works in some places and less in others.