"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:31 pm

Block88 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:29 am I agree with most of your points Moro hasn’t done anything so far that makes him stand out personality wise of action wise.
Hell even going with the whole he’s better than x,y or z really isn’t something to brag about considering he himself didn’t do something that makes him feel different than average db villain number #274738494
Magic is his bread and butter so far it’s severely lacking.
To be honestly, I prefer Jiren and Barry Khan to Moro.

Yeah I know it's practically a chant here that, "Moro has issues, but he's better than Jiren with no personality"', but I couldn't disagree more. Jiren may have been bland, but he was sure in hell fun to watch and gave very memorable fights with Goku in 109, 110, 123, 130, and 131, especially since his pure power caused Goku and freaking Freeza to work together. That and Jiren being a 'superhero' who basically crap talked his teammates and a general asshole was different since most superheroes in Dragon Ball have been Superman parodies. They're saintly good, while Jiren is like Iron Man. An utter jerk despite fighting on the good side, but can have bouts of nobility when it counts. He also contrast most of the villains in Dragon Ball who tend to be on the hammy side, even Goku Black.

Barry Khan was interesting since he was a very relatable and evil asshole that you probably met once in your life. What make Barry Khan interesting was how human he was.

Moro is just dull and the story seems to bend over backwards to allow him to get ahead like the Freeza solider by some chance happening to mind control (with some random device that was never foreshadowed) the one Namekian who was suddenly given ownership of the Dragon Ball. If that Freeze shoulder killed him instead of the elder, Moro's plans would have been ruined. Not to mention how none of the Namekian thought for three days to hide the Dragon Balls from their village and when they did grow a brain, Moro could suddenly sense Dragon Balls. No explanation how, he just can.

Heck, I take Copy Vegeta over Moro at this point since at least Copy Vegeta gave us Sabat dueling with Brian Drummond in the dub.

It really takes a special talent to make magical planet eating goat boring.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:01 pm

HeroR wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:31 pm
Block88 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:29 am I agree with most of your points Moro hasn’t done anything so far that makes him stand out personality wise of action wise.
Hell even going with the whole he’s better than x,y or z really isn’t something to brag about considering he himself didn’t do something that makes him feel different than average db villain number #274738494
Magic is his bread and butter so far it’s severely lacking.
To be honestly, I prefer Jiren and Barry Khan to Moro.

Yeah I know it's practically a chant here that, "Moro has issues, but he's better than Jiren with no personality"', but I couldn't disagree more. Jiren may have been bland, but he was sure in hell fun to watch and gave very memorable fights with Goku in 109, 110, 123, 130, and 131, especially since his pure power caused Goku and freaking Freeza to work together. That and Jiren being a 'superhero' who basically crap talked his teammates and a general asshole was different since most superheroes in Dragon Ball have been Superman parodies. They're saintly good, while Jiren is like Iron Man. An utter jerk despite fighting on the good side, but can have bouts of nobility when it counts. He also contrast most of the villains in Dragon Ball who tend to be on the hammy side, even Goku Black.

Barry Khan was interesting since he was a very relatable and evil asshole that you probably met once in your life. What make Barry Khan interesting was how human he was.

Moro is just dull and the story seems to bend over backwards to allow him to get ahead like the Freeza solider by some chance happening to mind control (with some random device that was never foreshadowed) the one Namekian who was suddenly given ownership of the Dragon Ball. If that Freeze shoulder killed him instead of the elder, Moro's plans would have been ruined. Not to mention how none of the Namekian thought for three days to hide the Dragon Balls from their village and when they did grow a brain, Moro could suddenly sense Dragon Balls. No explanation how, he just can.

Heck, I take Copy Vegeta over Moro at this point since at least Copy Vegeta gave us Sabat dueling with Brian Drummond in the dub.

It really takes a special talent to make magical planet eating goat boring.
Couldn’t agree more
Jiren wasn’t the greatest had his flaws but he entertained me far more despite just being simple yet Moro who’s gimmick is his magic hasn’t done a damn thing that we haven’t seen before more make it feel new to the franchise

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:02 pm

Kanassa wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:11 am What part of that is confusing?
What part of this answers my question? Just explain.
You can't save a story in it's climax.
There is plenty of time left to establish a motivation for Moro, maybe tying into that 3rd wish. If Toyo thought how you do with it being too late, this arc would end up being dumpster fire instead of just disappointing.
Jiren wasn’t the greatest had his flaws but he entertained me far more despite just being simple yet Moro who’s gimmick is his magic hasn’t done a damn thing that we haven’t seen before more make it feel new to the franchise
I have to disagree. While Moro Hasn't done much we haven't seen before, neither has jiren. Jiren was basically Broly but Quiet and a worse backstory. The fights he had weren't even all that interesting unless Silver Hair Goku was there. He was just another "Strong for the plot" antagonist and nothing more.

I think thats just a few magnitudes worse than the One trick Pony Moro.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:30 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:02 pm
Kanassa wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:11 am What part of that is confusing?
What part of this answers my question? Just explain.
You can't save a story in it's climax.
There is plenty of time left to establish a motivation for Moro, maybe tying into that 3rd wish. If Toyo thought how you do with it being too late, this arc would end up being dumpster fire instead of just disappointing.
I have to disagree. While Moro Hasn't done much we haven't seen before, neither has jiren. Jiren was basically Broly but Quiet and a worse backstory. The fights he had weren't even all that interesting unless Silver Hair Goku was there. He was just another "Strong for the plot" antagonist and nothing more.

I think thats just a few magnitudes worse than the One trick Pony Moro.
Nah Moro is worse in this case considering he supposed to be some monster with his magic yet nothing he did is something we haven’t seen before nor standing out or done creatively.
Jiren isn’t really broly considenrg he doesn’t a rapid hate Boner so poor analogy there.
Moro is practically a filler villain with the only thing going for him is his design.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:44 pm

I'm just gonna take now to list all of the magic Moro has shown off, including how he uses it and when it appears.

Energy Absorption: (Used through out the arc as his most prominent technique)

Energy Manipulation:(Used in his fight with Vegeta manipulating the life energy of the planet to fight with)

Scanning: (Used to scan for planets and dragon balls)

Cloning:(Used just last chapter to make illusions of himself to trick Goku Vegeta and the Daikaioshin)

Mind Reading: (Used to view the Daikaioshin's memories [Based on him commenting on the flashback from last chapter])

Eternal Life:(The reason he has not died for the last 10 million years.Extends his own life by taking life energy from others.)

I think the main issue is that Toyotaro isnt good at showing these abilities, or that he is focused on his other magic as its the one that makes him most dangerous.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:15 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:44 pm I'm just gonna take now to list all of the magic Moro has shown off, including how he uses it and when it appears.

Energy Manipulation:(Used in his fight with Vegeta manipulating the life energy of the planet to fight with)

Cloning:(Used just last chapter to make illusions of himself to trick Goku Vegeta and the Daikaioshin)

Mind Reading: (Used to view the Daikaioshin's memories [Based on him commenting on the flashback from last chapter])

Eternal Life:(The reason he has not died for the last 10 million years.Extends his own life by taking life energy from others.)

I think the main issue is that Toyotaro isnt good at showing these abilities, or that he is focused on his other magic as its the one that makes him most dangerous.
He also scanned Goku looking for his ki.

Anyways, not sure about “magic” but definitely a confirmed ability in this chapter and the other ones, is his ability to survive in outer space.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:09 pm

One thing that does piss me off is the fact that Moro is basically Kai from Kung Fu Panda 3 :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:53 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:44 pm I'm just gonna take now to list all of the magic Moro has shown off, including how he uses it and when it appears.

Only the Energy Manipulation is really unique to Moro. Mind Reading is a thing that as done in Dragon Ball by Roshi and Korin, In fact, Roshi said any high martial artist can do it.

The Cloning thing is weird since did his clones have ki, which is how Goku even teleported to him, because it seems odd that no one mentioned how odd that he could make After Images with Ki in embedded. Seems something noteworthy.

Eternal Life is something Buu had without eating planets.

Energy Absorption, Cell did it except he took fluids from living matter personally, but the principle is the same. That and Moro's Energy Absorption is really just a more malice version of Goku's Spirit Bomb.

Scanning literally came out of nowhere since he went three days without sensing Dragon Balls or even knowing something like Dragon Balls even existed until some random Freeza soldier showed him.

Now let's compared this to Babidi:

- Mind Control: if you have any evil in your heart, he can enslave you despite how powerful you and even make you stronger. It takes a strong stubborn will and even remotely fight him and the more evil you are, the stronger the control.

- Summoning: He can summon people from across the universe and even other realms, which is how he recruited Dabura and even Buu. Granted, this information was revealed decades later, but we saw hence of this in the original manga where he could teleport large group of people across the universe, which brings us to....

- Mass Teleportation: He can move an entire group anywhere he likes to give his slaves the fighting advantage and he does it with no physical contact unlike Goku and even the Kais.

- Causing people to explode from a great distance: This is exactly how it's written. He made a human's head explode when he was talking to him.

- Mass communication: He can talk to an entire planet through their heads, something only seen by King Kai. And even King Kai can only transmute voices if he isn't being physically touch, Babidi can show entire fights or cities being eating.

- Barrier: Yes I know that we have 17 did it before, but it stands out since Babidi is a weak wizard who was cut in half by Piccolo with ease, yet he still made a barrier strong enough to survived Majin Vegeta's Final Explosion, while he was still cut in half.

- Sealing: He can seal powerful monsters like Buu and they can't break free. The only thing close to that is the Evil Containment Wave, and even that requires so much energy that it can kill a person. Babidi despite being old and frail is implied to be to seal Buu with no risk to himself as long as he can open his mouth.

And not even get started with Buu who has several magical haxs.

Moro in comparison to both looks lackluster despite being a being who challenged the gods and a planet eater. Not helping that he has nothing in his character that makes him feel unique. He's evil, want to eat the universe, and a bad boss......okay what else. Even worst, it's never explain why he is so evil. Most villains in Dragon Ball are either made from evil or born evil, yet this guy is evil on his own freewill with no explanation why. Granted, Babidi was the same, but he wasn't the primary villain either.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:09 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:02 pm
If 95% of your story is a dumpster fire, the last 5% being good doesn't make that 95% suddenly good. No matter what happens with Moro in the climax, he'll still have been a boring, one-note mess for almost the entire story.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:25 am

I just realized something. This arc....it's like an expanded version of The Return of Cooler. Some force comes to Namek and proceeds to 'eat' the planet and Cooler attempt to extract the life force from the Namekians themselves by cutting them up. Cooler even drains Goku and Vegeta near the end of the movie for their power like Moro did near the middle of this arc.
Kanassa wrote:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:25 am

HeroR wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:25 am I just realized something. This arc....it's like an expanded version of The Return of Cooler. Some force comes to Namek and proceeds to 'eat' the planet and Cooler attempt to extract the life force from the Namekians themselves by cutting them up. Cooler even drains Goku and Vegeta near the end of the movie for their power like Moro did near the middle of this arc.
I swear to god if this ends with them finding out that Moro doesn't have a Saiyan Stomach...

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:52 am

Jiren is boring. Having as little of a character as possible, you could replace him with a literal wall and nothing much would change. He boring and so absurdly strong without any good reason to be. His backstory is so uninspired and boring. He feels like an antagonist you would only create if you hated Dragon ball and wanted to watch it die.

Moro is in one word, disappointing. Moro has your typical villain tropes with nothing new coming to the table. His magic i restricted to being one thing that has been used before in the series. While his backstory ties into forgotten story beads from Z, his lack of any kind of motivation or explanation for why he is evil sucks most of the enjoyment out of the arc.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:50 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:52 am Jiren is boring. Having as little of a character as possible, you could replace him with a literal wall and nothing much would change. He boring and so absurdly strong without any good reason to be. His backstory is so uninspired and boring. He feels like an antagonist you would only create if you hated Dragon ball and wanted to watch it die.
I want to see someone just animate Goku fighting a piece of wood with Jiren's face on it. It'd be about as interesting and well designed as Jiren actually is :lol:
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:57 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:52 am Jiren is boring. Having as little of a character as possible, you could replace him with a literal wall and nothing much would change. He boring and so absurdly strong without any good reason to be. His backstory is so uninspired and boring. He feels like an antagonist you would only create if you hated Dragon ball and wanted to watch it die.

Moro is in one word, disappointing. Moro has your typical villain tropes with nothing new coming to the table. His magic i restricted to being one thing that has been used before in the series. While his backstory ties into forgotten story beads from Z, his lack of any kind of motivation or explanation for why he is evil sucks most of the enjoyment out of the arc.
Nah jiren isn’t boring his haters are at this point are given there constant rants about him kinda like yours.

Bringing him up doesn’t negate Moro being boring and dull as well so don’t know why you guys keep doing this.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:00 am

dbzfan7 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:50 am
I want to see someone just animate Goku fighting a piece of wood with Jiren's face on it. It'd be about as interesting and well designed as Jiren actually is :lol:
So pretty cool and fun nice :lol:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:07 am

Block88 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:57 am

Nah jiren isn’t boring his haters are at this point are given there constant rants about him kinda like yours.

Bringing him up doesn’t negate Moro being boring and dull as well so don’t know why you guys keep doing this.
I mean, hell, bringing up Jiren makes Moro worse because, unlike Jiren, Moro's the star of an arc that gives him no characters to support him outside of meaningless henchmen. Jiren, while the end goal of the arc, still had a cast of different characters from different teams fill up screen time.

Kanassa wrote:

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:48 am

Kanassa wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:07 am
Block88 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:57 am

I mean, hell, bringing up Jiren makes Moro worse because, unlike Jiren, Moro's the star of an arc that gives him no characters to support him outside of meaningless henchmen. Jiren, while the end goal of the arc, still had a cast of different characters from different teams fill up screen time.
Like going through the whole “well he’s better than x”route seems lame and petty cause cause what has Moro to make him exactly stand out outside of his design? Motivation is meh his magic isn’t remotely interesting so far and that’s supposed to be his bread and butter.
I’m honestly curious where the hell were going with this story? Is he gonna lose on namek given how fast things are going or will things continue?

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:26 am

True, but being a bland piece of bread is better than being a literal wall of a character. You can't convince me otherwise with your Toyo hate.
You mean the fact that literally everyone else in the tournament had more character than the main antagonist is a good thing? Not to mention he barley interacts with them. They mean nothing to him. Jiren did nothing that affected the other characters outside of being the strongest one there.

Moro in comparison interacted heavily with Cranberry. He helped him break out of prison, he flew him to namek. Hell, if he didn't have Cranberry he would have never gotten his full magic power. And his response to all that he did for him was a hand through the chest, ending with cranberry showing a face of betrayal to Moro. He just wanted to escape to somewhere he could lay low and not have to deal with the galactic patrol , frieza or even hopefully Moro. THATS CALLED CHARACTER. All put into a supposedly "Useless" henchmen.

Like going through the whole “well he’s better than x”route seems lame and petty cause cause what has Moro to make him exactly stand out outside of his design? Motivation is meh his magic isn’t remotely interesting so far and that’s supposed to be his bread and butter.
I’m honestly curious where the hell were going with this story? Is he gonna lose on namek given how fast things are going or will things continue?

This is one of the reason this arc has been well received (Outside of Kanzenshuu). Its the first time in years that the manga i ahead of the anime. People are curious about what Toyo has when it comes to his own villain and not piggy backing the anime.

I think this video perfectly describes what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU5eDAXloLc

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:37 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:26 am

True, but being a bland piece of bread is better than being a literal wall of a character. You can't convince me otherwise with your Toyo hate.
Being bland and boring is better than being bland and boring?
You mean the fact that literally everyone else in the tournament had more character than the main antagonist is a good thing?
No, I said that even if I agreed with your assessment of Jiren, a bland antagonist works better in a story that has multiple antagonists than a story where there is one, because a sole antagonist makes his flaws all the more glaring and awkward while holding down the arc.
Moro in comparison interacted heavily with Cranberry. He helped him break out of prison, he flew him to namek. Hell, if he didn't have Cranberry he would have never gotten his full magic power. And his response to all that he did for him was a hand through the chest, ending with cranberry showing a face of betrayal to Moro. He just wanted to escape to somewhere he could lay low and not have to deal with the galactic patrol , frieza or even hopefully Moro. THATS CALLED CHARACTER. All put into a supposedly "Useless" henchmen.
And if Cranberry was cut from the plot, the only thing needed to cover it would be a quick sentence change. He had little character outside of being a scared henchman, who added nothing to story, character or dynamic. What is lost from the story if Moro did all of these actions himself?

Kanassa wrote:

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:26 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:26 am

You mean the fact that literally everyone else in the tournament had more character than the main antagonist is a good thing? Not to mention he barley interacts with them. They mean nothing to him. Jiren did nothing that affected the other characters outside of being the strongest one there.

This is one of the reason this arc has been well received (Outside of Kanzenshuu). Its the first time in years that the manga i ahead of the anime. People are curious about what Toyo has when it comes to his own villain and not piggy backing the anime.

I think this video perfectly describes what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU5eDAXloLc
Amazing how you failed to prove your point here.
Going well my “shit is better than your shit” isn’t gonna change that Moro is still shit m8.

Half of what Moro is no different than every baddie in dragon do so honestly going by your logic Moro barely has any character at all that isn’t just hurr durr I’m evil for the sake of it