"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:48 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:31 amWhy would a Japanese company announce a Japanese product outside their main market that is Japan. Makes no sense.
The same reason why they used comic con to debut Broly's first trailer and new artwork, it's one of the biggest conventions in the entertainment world and a lot of people are paying attention to it. DB is now a global franchise so it's being treated as one.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:03 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:31 am
sintzu wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:00 am
anubisj wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:33 am What about Anime Expo (or something like that)? It´s supposed to happen in July, beginnings of it, any chance for something dragon ball-related to be announced there?
I think comic con will have a panel for DB's 3th anniversary so that could be a place to announce it. It also takes place in July.
Why would a Japanese company announce a Japanese product outside their main market that is Japan. Makes no sense.

Because it only place we have for July if 3 of "source" people said it July.. gotta wait. I doubt it get announce there

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:20 am

sintzu wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:48 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:31 amWhy would a Japanese company announce a Japanese product outside their main market that is Japan. Makes no sense.
The same reason why they used comic con to debut Broly's first trailer and new artwork, it's one of the biggest conventions in the entertainment world and a lot of people are paying attention to it. DB is now a global franchise so it's being treated as one.
Hmm. But wasn't that because Broly is more popular in the West? Every promotion in the past shows that Japan is their priority.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:37 am

sintzu wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:48 am
Sangofe's point still stands. The actual film wasn't announced there.

If DBS hasn't been announced prior to comic con it will 100% not be announced at comic con.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:57 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:37 amIf DBS hasn't been announced prior to comic con it will 100% not be announced at comic con.
I'm not going to bet on it being announced there as it is more likely to be announced in Japan, but I won't be surprised either as it also makes business sense to announce it there.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:24 am

If not Comic Con, it might be Jump Festa 2020...then every other major event the following year until Jump Festa 2021 :P. It might be easier to wait until the current manga saga ends. The Moro saga seems like it only has a few chapters left so that would give us an idea of the next storyline assuming it's not another manga-exclusive saga.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:45 pm

They DID say that they were planning on having a bigger presence at SDCC than any last year.

But i dont think we know if DBS is getting its own panel like last year.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:26 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:45 pm They DID say that they were planning on having a bigger presence at SDCC than any last year.

But i dont think we know if DBS is getting its own panel like last year.
An extra trailer makes sense but I doubt they'd announce their movie in San Diego.

On a side note: Do Geekdom and Ajay know anything about the movie?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:59 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:26 pm On a side note: Do Geekdom and Ajay know anything about the movie?
Only that it's a few years off yet.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:03 pm

Ajay wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:59 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:26 pm On a side note: Do Geekdom and Ajay know anything about the movie?
So did the animators you and Geekdom talk to know anything about this or were they just as confused as us?

Or is it an entirely different anime team?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:48 pm

Sani007 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:55 pm Dragon Ball Super TV series has been canceled more than 1 year ago.
Toei has repeatedly said that it isn't planned to bring it back.
This is the end of the story.
My guy, it ended, it wasn't cancelled. If Dragon Ball Super as a product was cancelled, the manga wouldn't still be going. They continued the series with the Broly movie. Super as a product is still going on. The TV show just ended for now. Further more, several people involved with it have confirmed it's being prepared by Toei for a relaunch as an anime series. Attack on Titan's anime went on hiatus for 4 years before coming back because they ran out of manga material to adapt. The Super manga also has more story going, so Toriyama's not done with it yet.
Sani007 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:36 am Yeah, they planned it, but WHY, if everything was so awesome?
After the last episode of Super, many people here said: "It's just a hiatus because of the new movie." Yeah, of course, then where is it now?
In fact, Toei said: if Toriyama didn't want to work on the movie, then they wouldn't have done DBS:Broly.
Obviously, they stopped with DB anime production, because now the franchise makes enough money without it.
Dude, the TV series only stopped. the anime is still in production with the movies. Yes, the movies are still anime (most people confuse this issue because, for some reason, people just use "anime" as a catchall for animated TV shows from Japan & refer to anime movies just as movies). They need stuff to base products on. No, they wouldn't have done the Broly movie without Toriyama because they realized how having him involved with the stories has impacted the quality of the writing of the stories & instilled hope in people from how GT flopped back in 1996/7 without his involvement. But, as the manga's showing, Toriyama's not done with the franchise again just yet. They just chose a logical arc to leave off on. In fact, the ending of Super's anime is more of a "to be continued" kind of thing, which it was in the Broly movie. It didn't have a lot of finality in it outside of being a wrap-up for that particular show. If it were actually cancelled, we probably wouldn't have gotten an ending like that one.
Allowing the series to go on a hiatus allowed them to refocus their efforts into new projects as well & plan for the future, which they have. They've been gearing up for a relaunch of the show & we'll see what their efforts show when it does relaunch.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:08 pm

There's a movie coming a few years from now?

Even so, a few years is still a long time. Good to know about it though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:27 pm

Chuquita wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:08 pmThere's a movie coming a few years from now?

2 of the people who worked on Broly said they got the OK for a new movie. It'll probably be another few months until they have a team of writers and producers put together and double that before it goes into production. Fall 2021 seems the most likely date for it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:36 pm

sintzu wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:27 pm
Chuquita wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:08 pmThere's a movie coming a few years from now?

2 of the people who worked on Broly said they got the OK for a new movie. It'll probably be another few months until they have a team of writers and producers put together and double that before it goes into production. Fall 2021 seems the most likely date for it.
Many thanks! Fall 2021...sounds so futuristic even though it'll be 2020 in little over half a year.

I hope the next movie has more adventure in it; I hope there's a larger portion of fun character interactions and more movie-exclusive outfits. I enjoy the fights, but I hope they don't overwhelm the narrative. When there's more story there's more stuff to talk about and theorize imo. I hope they come up with some new and intriguing antagonists; characters with both cool character designs and interesting motivations.

I'm left wondering then, if they're doing a new movie 2 years from now and with all the resources that goes into it, when would be a good time to return Super to TV? Or if maybe something changed behind the scenes and they're going to just stick to movies from now on.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:43 pm

Chuquita wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:36 pmIf they're doing a new movie 2 years from now and with all the resources that goes into it, when would be a good time to return Super to TV? Or if maybe something changed behind the scenes and they're going to just stick to movies from now on.
I think what's going on is that they're trying to line things up so that both the anime and movies can co-exist. I think one of the reasons Super ended was to focus on Broly, something they probably don't want to happen again. Super's return is a when, not an if, and I believe once it returns it'll be on for a lot longer than Super 0.1. In order to do that though, they have to take time to ensure that its production won't get in the way of any movie they have planned for the future.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:53 pm

sintzu wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:43 pm
Chuquita wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:36 pmIf they're doing a new movie 2 years from now and with all the resources that goes into it, when would be a good time to return Super to TV? Or if maybe something changed behind the scenes and they're going to just stick to movies from now on.
I think what's going on is that they're trying to line things up so that both the anime and movies can co-exist. I think one of the reasons Super ended was to focus on Broly, something they probably don't want to happen again. Super's return is a when, not an if, and I believe once it returns it'll be on for a lot longer than Super 0.1. In order to do that though, they have to take time to ensure that its production won't get in the way of any movie they have planned for the future.
Sounds good. I don't mind them taking their time in returning then.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:34 am

sintzu wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:43 pmI think what's going on is that they're trying to line things up so that both the anime and movies can co-exist. I think one of the reasons Super ended was to focus on Broly, something they probably don't want to happen again. Super's return is a when, not an if, and I believe once it returns it'll be on for a lot longer than Super 0.1. In order to do that though, they have to take time to ensure that its production won't get in the way of any movie they have planned for the future.
I'm pretty sure it ended because Kitaro was taking its timeslot. The director for DBS: Broly said it ultimately depends on Toriyama. I know many fans assume that the series will continue forever until it stops making enough money but I don't think that's how it works nor the intention. No doubt they're milking it but the original manga ended while it was still successful. If it depends on Toriyama, it will eventually come to an end as well. Toriyama is in 60's and already a multi-millionaire with more money that he could probably ever spend in his life. I believe he's only revisiting his old series and giving the fans something extra before he retires for good. There's really no evidence how long he'll continue working on it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:55 am

What do you mean by few years off yet? A few years off from being completed, or the story being a few years after Broly?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:26 am

Who cares about movies? Movies are stupid. I’d much rather have the show continue, like any sane person would. Dragon Ball is an “Anime Show”. Not a series of ”Movies”.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:59 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:55 am
What do you mean by few years off yet? A few years off from being completed, or the story being a few years after Broly?
I'm guessing the first. How would anyone know anything about the story of an unnanounced movie after all.