"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:02 am

superfan2024 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:54 am Question: has anyone calculated when Super 1.0 will finish its run on Toonami?
Sometime in October which is when some believe that 2uper will air worldwide.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:27 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:54 am Question: has anyone calculated when Super 1.0 will finish its run on Toonami?
Roughly October/early November is my best guess, assuming no more breaks in the airing schedule.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Wilderness
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wilderness » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:34 pm

sintzu wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:02 am
I very much doubt it. The dub's schedule would never be of any concern to Toei/Toriyama/anyone in Japan.
"I'm not a bad guy, I am a good guy, who just... hits women with his car."

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:59 pm

Wilderness wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:34 pmThe dub's schedule would never be of any concern to Toei/Toriyama/anyone in Japan.
If they're planning on a worldwide release then it will as they won't cut the TOP short to aie 2uper.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:15 pm

Wilderness wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:34 pm
sintzu wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:02 am
I very much doubt it. The dub's schedule would never be of any concern to Toei/Toriyama/anyone in Japan.
You sure? The last 2 movies were released super early by dub standards, ESPECIALLY Super: Broly, once Toei realized the international market for Dragon Ball was very lucrative (which, unfortunately, also started their infamous status of not caring about how good the final products are, as long as they make a LOT of money; FUNi's BR releases for example, which any other company would take offense to, I'd think), so them animating the episodes over the last year & letting dub studios create their dubs of the series & get TV deals for as simultaneous a release as possible with this series for all the international dubs. FUNi leading the charge with their English dub is no surprise, since the've been doing simuldubs for the last 5 years now, but never for Dragon Ball. They'd wanna take full advantage of that while the iron's hot. It'd certainly get more people to watch as the episodes come out.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:37 pm

Anybody else just waiting to binge watch the entire arc in English after it comes out on Blu-Ray? I find it's easier to binge watch serialized TV shows, especially anime, than watching week to week.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:36 pm

So that Frieza clip that got posted to Funimation’s YouTube the other day
Is that Mills or Ayers?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:46 pm

AzuraRacon wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:36 pm So that Frieza clip that got posted to Funimation’s YouTube the other day
Is that Mills or Ayers?
Ayres.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:29 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:37 pmAnybody else just waiting to binge watch the entire arc in English after it comes out on Blu-Ray? I find it's easier to binge watch serialized TV shows, especially anime, than watching week to week.
I am as well. I plan on re-watching the BOG and RF movies before continuing from Super's 27th episode until Broly.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:40 am

How was tonight’s episode? I missed it due to power outage?

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:15 am

Tonight could have been my favorite episode of super thus far.

VirtuaBranson

Post by VirtuaBranson » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:46 am

sintzu wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:29 pm
Scsigs wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:37 pmAnybody else just waiting to binge watch the entire arc in English after it comes out on Blu-Ray? I find it's easier to binge watch serialized TV shows, especially anime, than watching week to week.
I am as well. I plan on re-watching the BOG and RF movies before continuing from Super's 27th episode until Broly.
Are you going to check out the in between episodes and changes they made too? Didn’t they change some things to line up better with the rest of the show and the movies are kind of outdated now? Aside from a more concise and better animated story of the events.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:55 am

VirtuaBranson wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:46 amAre you going to check out the in between episodes and changes they made too? Didn’t they change some things to line up better with the rest of the show and the movies are kind of outdated now? Aside from a more concise and better animated story of the events.
I've already seen the Japanese version of the retellings, which aren't that good even compared to Super's standards. BOG is a really good movie and the only issue I have with RF is the final part (Sorbet's beam until the end) which is covered and fixed in EP27. I guess one good thing to come out of the retllings is RF's improved ending as that was a major flaw in the movie.

VirtuaBranson

Post by VirtuaBranson » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:50 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:55 am
VirtuaBranson wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:46 amAre you going to check out the in between episodes and changes they made too? Didn’t they change some things to line up better with the rest of the show and the movies are kind of outdated now? Aside from a more concise and better animated story of the events.
I've already seen the Japanese version of the retellings, which aren't that good even compared to Super's standards. BOG is a really good movie and the only issue I have with RF is the final part (Sorbet's beam until the end) which is covered and fixed in EP27. I guess one good thing to come out of the retllings is RF's improved ending as that was a major flaw in the movie.
Weirdly enough my only experience with the movies are Supers versions and I actually really liked what I watched so I’m not up to date at all haha. I’m waiting for the season boxsets to watch the dub and the rest of the series. I’m just keeping up with this thread to make sure the dub stays somewhat quality.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:44 pm

It looks like they took feedback on the Ultimate Battle dub song to heart...by mixing it to barely register to human ears. Not sure how I feel about that.

Still a great ep and the performances were top notch. Kefla’s screams we’re great and I actually got chills from Goku charging up the Kamehameha.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:52 pm

VirtuaBranson wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:46 am
sintzu wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:29 pm
Are you going to check out the in between episodes and changes they made too? Didn’t they change some things to line up better with the rest of the show and the movies are kind of outdated now? Aside from a more concise and better animated story of the events.
Yeah, some of the in between episodes are good like the training episodes on Beerus world. Plus the flasback to Ressurection F in episode 116 was taken from the Super version, so it seems to be the main version. I prefer the Battle of Gods saga for pacing and music better than the movie. RF in Super suffers from bad animation a lot more than BOG saga.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:48 am

Man episode 116 is incredible, definitely a highlight of super. The dud did it justice, I only have a few nitpick.

I really wanted to hear Kefka say I win after game over, disappointed that was changed, doesn't show the same conviction she had in that line. Whis was a bit wordy but Ian Sinclair does such a stellar job I don't mind.

And the dubbed ultimate battle still isn't as good but it sounded much better here, especially the instruments.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:00 am

nato25 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:48 am Man episode 116 is incredible, definitely a highlight of super. The dud did it justice, I only have a few nitpick.

I really wanted to hear Kefka say I win after game over, disappointed that was changed, doesn't show the same conviction she had in that line. Whis was a bit wordy but Ian Sinclair does such a stellar job I don't mind.

And the dubbed ultimate battle still isn't as good but it sounded much better here, especially the instruments.
That's the most obvious difference between the dub and the sub when you compare them; the dub tends to make lines longer to match timing and/or lip flaps. Autonomous Ultra Instinct is the obvious example (though they were doing their best to squeeze in regular "Ultra Instinct" where they could in this ep) but there are other example. Kefla couldn't just say "I win" because that was too short for the dub. She says it in Xenoverse 2 (although it's "I wiiiiiiiiiiin") because games don't have the same restrictions.

Most of the time it's fine- it worked well for them in Future Trunks because Black and Zamasu were overly verbose ponces, but they're brushing up against the limitations here. In Japanese, Beerus says Kefla's fight-or-flight response could be trouble, in English they gave him some mumbo-jumbo line about "conquering weapons".

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:25 am

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:00 am That's the most obvious difference between the dub and the sub when you compare them; the dub tends to make lines longer to match timing and/or lip flaps. Autonomous Ultra Instinct is the obvious example (though they were doing their best to squeeze in regular "Ultra Instinct" where they could in this ep) but there are other example. Kefla couldn't just say "I win" because that was too short for the dub. She says it in Xenoverse 2 (although it's "I wiiiiiiiiiiin") because games don't have the same restrictions.

Most of the time it's fine- it worked well for them in Future Trunks because Black and Zamasu were overly verbose ponces, but they're brushing up against the limitations here. In Japanese, Beerus says Kefla's fight-or-flight response could be trouble, in English they gave him some mumbo-jumbo line about "conquering weapons".
Actually, the games have similar restrictions. However, Bandai just doesn't give FUNi the cutscenes to dub over, just asking them to match the timings of the Japanese VA's. Same with the Naruto games. They also have closer translations than the shows & movies by default, which is why that is.