A very small possibility - Can we expect a simuldub for Super 2.0 in October?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

A very small possibility - Can we expect a simuldub for Super 2.0 in October?

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:34 am

Dragon Ball Super is expected to finish it's 131 episode dub on Toonami during October of this year. Well, there have been a few theories that the second Dragon Ball Super series (let's just call this 2.0) is possibly expected to arrive in October of this year as well. If Dragon Ball Super 2.0 actually does air in October 2019, is there any possible chance of us expecting a simuldub for the series given that it aligns with Super 1.0 concluding in the same month for Funi's dub?

As the title says, this is a very small possibility (there is obviously no confirmed date for DBS 2.0 yet), but I wanted to hear some of your thoughts.

sintzu
Banned

Re: A very small possibility - Can we expect a simuldub for Super 2.0 in October?

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:16 am

I think we would've heared something by now if 2uper was going to air in October. if July comes and goes without an announcement then maybe it'll be time to accept that there's simply nothing being worked on.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: A very small possibility - Can we expect a simuldub for Super 2.0 in October?

Post by sangofe » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:09 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:16 am I think we would've heared something by now if 2uper was going to air in October. if July comes and goes without an announcement then maybe it'll be time to accept that there's simply nothing being worked on.
"Nothing being worked on"?. Of course something's being worked on, unless you mean a deal for a simuldub. It's more than obvious that Super episodes are being worked on.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:19 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:09 pm
sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:16 am I think we would've heared something by now if 2uper was going to air in October. if July comes and goes without an announcement then maybe it'll be time to accept that there's simply nothing being worked on.
"Nothing being worked on"?. Of course something's being worked on, unless you mean a deal for a simuldub. It's more than obvious that Super episodes are being worked on.
No one's more excited and hopeful about Super's return than me, with that said, We've been hearing about it since late last year, yet there's still nothing official about it. I do believe that they've talked about it, maybe even have some story ideas ready to go, but if there was something being worked on, wouldn't we have heared something by now ? What if August, then September arrive and still nothing ? The more time that passes, the less likely it is to happen anytime soon. With that said, I think it's only a matter of time before it returns, I just think it may be further down the line than we're expecting.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:16 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:19 pm
No one's more excited and hopeful about Super's return than me, with that said, We've been hearing about it since late last year, yet there's still nothing official about it. I do believe that they've talked about it, maybe even have some story ideas ready to go, but if there was something being worked on, wouldn't we have heared something by now ? What if August, then September arrive and still nothing ? The more time that passes, the less likely it is to happen anytime soon. With that said, I think it's only a matter of time before it returns, I just think it may be further down the line than we're expecting.
Reasonable point, but I think you're forgetting that we're having another DB Tour this year. Just as last year, the first stop in the tour is at the San Diego Comic Con. Last year at the DB Tour in the San Diego Comic Con, the first trailer for DBS: Broly premiered worldwide, and we got exclusive new looks at new character designs for the film (i.e. more of Broly's forms and Vegeta going Super Saiyan God were revealed/his design was shown in the panel as well). I think this year's Comic Con is a perfect time to announce Super 2.0. That gives us three months before October. For reference, Dragon Ball Super 1.0 was announced in April 2015 and premiered July 2015, which is also a three month gap.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:21 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:16 pmI think you're forgetting that we're having another DB Tour this year. Just as last year, the first stop in the tour is at the San Diego Comic Con. Last year at the DB Tour in the San Diego Comic Con, the first trailer for DBS: Broly premiered worldwide, and we got exclusive new looks at new character designs for the film.
I think if there's something to be announced, it'll be at comic con. What I'm saying is that if comic con and July come and go, If August and September come and go, then maybe it'll be time to accept that Super's return isn't as close as we thought it was.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:24 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:21 pm
superfan2024 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:16 pmI think you're forgetting that we're having another DB Tour this year. Just as last year, the first stop in the tour is at the San Diego Comic Con. Last year at the DB Tour in the San Diego Comic Con, the first trailer for DBS: Broly premiered worldwide, and we got exclusive new looks at new character designs for the film.
I think if there's something to be announced, it'll be at comic con. What I'm saying is that if comic con and July come and go, If August and September come and go, then maybe it'll be time to accept that Super's return isn't as close as we thought it was.
Yeah, I agree. If it's not at Comic Con, then I don't know when.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:09 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:19 pm
You seem to forget that various VA have said it's coming back late this year. Not even the italian voice actor for Vegeta, the french, too. Then there's all the sources Ajay and Geekdom had. In addition to the incident of that website selling episodes. Of course they're working on it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:33 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:09 pmYou seem to forget that various VA have said it's coming back late this year. Not even the italian voice actor for Vegeta, the french, too. Then there's all the sources Ajay and Geekdom had. In addition to the incident of that website selling episodes. Of course they're working on it.
I believe the voices and sources that said it'll be back, I just think there's a possibility that there was a last minute change. If it's announced soon then clearly I'm wrong. Among the reaons for a potential delay is to give the writers (Toriyama, Toyotaro, etc) more time to come up with stories to avoid having filler gaps between the main arcs. A new movie got the OK so maybe they want to line things up so that both movies and series can run alongside each other without the series having to take a break or there being years between each movie.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:44 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:09 pm You seem to forget that various VA have said it's coming back late this year. Not even the italian voice actor for Vegeta, the french, too. Then there's all the sources Ajay and Geekdom had. In addition to the incident of that website selling episodes. Of course they're working on it.
They also mentioned an Airdate around July with an announcement sometime around May.
So far any official news only mentions another movie idea being worked on.
But if any of those rumors are true, the Japanese episodes would air a fair bit earlier before the dub.

There is also the fact that there are quite a few episodes that still need to air and that were not officially released with the dubbed audio and I dunno if they have the rest of the series recorded already.
Talking only about a Toonami simuldub, it would be possible only after all the "1.0" episodes are dubbed and released, which could happen a while later than the Japanese releases, at that point, it wouldn't really be a simuldub imo.

However, if all episodes are already done and they can negotiate the contract for the rights earlier than 1.0, it could be possible for them to have a simuldub on the Funimation streaming services.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:43 pm

I'm pretty sure if the series actually returns in October we're gonna get a Broly retelling or an adaptation for the Moro Arc. If they do a Broly retelling, that gives the staff a quick 10-15 episodes to not have to worry about in regards to catching up to the Moro Arc. 15 episodes will equal to around an extra 3-4 months that Toei needs to stay behind the Moro Arc in regards to airdates. By early October, there would have already been 11 chapters of the Moro Arc or whichever arc the manga is in by that point in time (12th chapter releases in mid October). Unfortunately, I don't even know when they started production on Super 2.0, what story they started on (Broly, Moro, or just random Toei-made filler), or what path they're going to go once Super 2.0 airs... all I know is that Super 2.0 is definitely in production.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:10 pm

As nice as it would be for Toonami's run of Super to roll seamlessly into Super 2.0 via a simuldub as part of the rumored worldwide dub release we've heard about if Super 2.0 is indeed ready to go in October, I'm not quite sure Toei could get their shit together to orchestrate such a thing quite honestly. This is the company that didn't provide an official simulcast of the show until a full year into the shows run, an absurd and unheard thing to do nowadays, especially with such a popular franchise. Maybe the rumors we've heard just means that Toei will be faster with licensing batches of episodes out to foreign parties for Super 2.0, rather than having them wait 1-2 years like with they've done with Super 1.0.

Also, with France, Italy, Portugal, the US and the others handling the show under different licensing parties and linear TV channels, I don't think it would be possible to do a Netflix-esque multi-dub roll out, because there's just way too many moving parts involved. It would be an unprecedented thing, because even when Netflix does their global rollout of their anime titles, they release them all at once, months after the show's run in Japan, rather than releasing them week-by-week on a few week delay, like Funimation does with their simuldubs. And instead of using different studios, Netflix usually opts to use their international dubbing partner, VSI Studios, to handle the production of all dubs of their titles, which makes things more streamlined for a global rollout, something that can't be done with Super.

Quite frankly, with Toei being the dinosaurs they are, I don't see them doing anything unprecedented like this anytime soon, so no, I don't see it happening.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:53 am

Akamay wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:44 pm
sangofe wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:09 pm You seem to forget that various VA have said it's coming back late this year. Not even the italian voice actor for Vegeta, the french, too. Then there's all the sources Ajay and Geekdom had. In addition to the incident of that website selling episodes. Of course they're working on it.
They also mentioned an Airdate around July with an announcement sometime around May.
So far any official news only mentions another movie idea being worked on.
But if any of those rumors are true, the Japanese episodes would air a fair bit earlier before the dub.

There is also the fact that there are quite a few episodes that still need to air and that were not officially released with the dubbed audio and I dunno if they have the rest of the series recorded already.
Talking only about a Toonami simuldub, it would be possible only after all the "1.0" episodes are dubbed and released, which could happen a while later than the Japanese releases, at that point, it wouldn't really be a simuldub imo.

However, if all episodes are already done and they can negotiate the contract for the rights earlier than 1.0, it could be possible for them to have a simuldub on the Funimation streaming services.
The voice actors didn't mention an airdate around July.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:15 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:53 am The voice actors didn't mention an airdate around July.
I meant Ajay, Geekdom and Yonkou.

But from what I remembered, the voice actors said something about Summer/Fall 2019, no?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:53 am

Akamay wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:15 am
sangofe wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:53 am The voice actors didn't mention an airdate around July.
I meant Ajay, Geekdom and Yonkou.

But from what I remembered, the voice actors said something about Summer/Fall 2019, no?
I don't know about the Italian va, but he said either late this year, or fall this year. I don't remember the exact wording. I'd need to find the video again.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:43 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:53 am I don't know about the Italian va, but he said either late this year, or fall this year. I don't remember the exact wording. I'd need to find the video again.
If that is the case, then it would be possible for a simuldub. I dunno if there are any series that have one up airing on TV right now, but if they manage to release new content after episode 131 airs, it could work out.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:29 pm

Akamay wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:43 pm
sangofe wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:53 am I don't know about the Italian va, but he said either late this year, or fall this year. I don't remember the exact wording. I'd need to find the video again.
If that is the case, then it would be possible for a simuldub. I dunno if there are any series that have one up airing on TV right now, but if they manage to release new content after episode 131 airs, it could work out.
My only concern for a simuldub is for an anime series that goes for 100 episodes nonstop. How would the voice actors put up with that?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:40 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:29 pmMy only concern for a simuldub is for an anime series that goes for 100 episodes nonstop. How would the voice actors put up with that?
The same way the Japanese voices deal with it. I think episodes are written long in advance so they probably get breaks in-between sessions.

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Post by JoeCapricorn » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:02 pm

If there are no breaks with the current dub, Episode 131 will air October 5th.

That would be a crazy turn of events, to be able to see new episodes in English right away!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:42 pm

JoeCapricorn wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:02 pm If there are no breaks with the current dub, Episode 131 will air October 5th.

That would be a crazy turn of events, to be able to see new episodes in English right away!
Being able to see episodes right away may be what's holding things up. I don't think America is the only country that will air episode 131 on October 5th so if they want a worldwide dub to air alongside the Japanese version it makes sense to hold things off until then.