Would General Blue be considered offensive to the LGBTQ+ community in this day and age?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would General Blue be considered offensive to the LGBTQ+ community in this day and age?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:53 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:45 pm I remember how they tried to cover up the pedophilia "jokes", but did FUNi try to cover up his sexuality?
Not cover it up so much as just sort of avoid saying it directly. Sonny Strait still plays him as an obvious gay guy (to the point I’m surprised Toonami didn’t force them to redub him for broadcast like they did a one shot character in Tenchi Muyo!) and he’s grossed out by Bulma hitting on him but she calls him a prude instead of saying “Yikes, he’s gay”

He’s more coded gay in the English dub than out right gay as in the Japanese version.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Would General Blue be considered offensive to the LGBTQ+ community in this day and age?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:05 pm

dbzj14 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:26 pm Please for the love of god, please I am begging each and every one of you, STOP bringing 2019 woke victim culture and politics into dragon ball! It’s a damn anime and manga. Let people enjoy it for what it is and stop ruining it!
Must be nice to be a cishet white male who doesn't have to be afraid of being murdered by a stranger after living on the streets for a week after your conservative family kicked you out on the street. Must be nice to not get called 'little bitch' by your dad who thinks that you are a 'man acting like a woman' rather than a woman weeping in frustration over being treated poorly for simply being one's self.
ABED wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:51 pm That's a priori logic.

Hollywood is overwhelmingly to the left, but I would be willing to bet those in charge are mostly straight white men. Not only that, but for decades the biggest audience was young straight white males. Hollywood was laser focused on them because they brought in a shit ton of money. This issue has nothing to do with political affiliation.

I truly believe mass audiences are open to inclusivity and better representation of minorities. The creators and money men are likely open as well, but don't know how to write it because it's not their experience. Being blind to other peoples' experiences and perspectives isn't limited to any particular political party.
I don't see Hollywood coming out and constantly broadcasting how they're in favor of higher taxes on the wealthy and corporations, to install a living wage, college for all, Medicare for All, three months paid vacation for all, paid childcare for all, Social Security for All, ending the wars, a Green New Deal and a comprehensive infrastructure deal that completely rebuilds the nation as well as poor neighborhoods. I don't see Hollywood collectively coming out on TV non-stop or incorporating a message into their projects of how 50% of US workers earn $30,000 a year or less, 80% of Americans want to raise the minimum wage, 76% of Americans live paycheck-to-paycheck, that global warming is real and the US is actively not trying to stop it because our politicians' corporate donors literally pay them not to.

Learn to see the forest from the trees. "Oh, it's hip now to give The Gays roles in TV and film? Cool, whatever, we can make money off that now." Meanwhile, not a single goddamn one of the six corporations that own all of our media in the United States are out there trying to tell the American people "Hey, you need to un-apologetically demand every single elected official move way to the left!" every single second of the day. Fuckin' hell, god knows conservatives are out there every single day selling their arguments to the American people.

If you aren't arguing policy you're a full-of-shit corportist centrist. What's a centrist in country run by nearly nothing but conservatives for the past forty years? A conservative.

I say this all the time and I'll say it once again for everyone listening: everyone called Woman's Suffrage, the New Deal, Social Security, the Interstate, NASA, the Great Society and the Civil Right's Act impossible. "Impossible! Wait your day! It's too soon! God, you're just going to set you people back by being so demanding!" The same motherfucking country that fought and defeated the British and freed the slaves can accomplish anything. It's up to the people who will fight for similarly left-wing positions to demand that those things happen.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:40 pm

They often do include those messages but remember it's art; its primary purpose is to entertain, not to be didactic. It seems like anything short of a god damn lecture about those aforementioned policies is Hollywood being conservative. There are messages all over the place in TV shows and films seeping out of every pore. If you don't see it, I don't know what to tell ya.
He’s more coded gay in the English dub than out right gay as in the Japanese version.
Thanks MasenkoHA.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:53 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:45 pm I remember how they tried to cover up the pedophilia "jokes", but did FUNi try to cover up his sexuality?
Not cover it up so much as just sort of avoid saying it directly. Sonny Strait still plays him as an obvious gay guy (to the point I’m surprised Toonami didn’t force them to redub him for broadcast like they did a one shot character in Tenchi Muyo!) and he’s grossed out by Bulma hitting on him but she calls him a prude instead of saying “Yikes, he’s gay”

As i said in my post on the previous page i'm honestly quite surprised that the scene where Blue is creepily staring at Obotchaman where he's obviously attracted to him didn't get cut out of the episode on it's dub broadcast on Cartoon Network, because even with the long lost brother re write it's still pretty easy to tell by the visuals alone what's really happening.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:13 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:05 pm
dbzj14 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:26 pm Please for the love of god, please I am begging each and every one of you, STOP bringing 2019 woke victim culture and politics into dragon ball! It’s a damn anime and manga. Let people enjoy it for what it is and stop ruining it!
Must be nice to be a cishet white male
Why are you assuming this person is white and male?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:23 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:13 pm

As i said in my post on the previous page i'm honestly quite surprised that the scene where Blue is creepily staring at Obotchaman with obviously being attracted to him didn't get cut out of the episode on it's dub broadcast on Cartoon Network, because even with the long lost brother re write it's still pretty easy to tell by the visuals alone what's really happening.
Keep in mind this is the same programming block that was infamous for okaying two girls making meaningful looks at each other and getting touchy feely as long as they said they were cousins every 5 seconds.

I guess Toonami was okay with Blue being attracted to a little boy as long as there was an added context of reminding him of his (dead?) little brother.

Incest was Toonami’s kink

I will say as far as the “uncut” version there’s not much Funimation could have done and this was one of the few censored in an alleged uncut dub moments I’m okay with.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:31 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:23 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:13 pm

As i said in my post on the previous page i'm honestly quite surprised that the scene where Blue is creepily staring at Obotchaman with obviously being attracted to him didn't get cut out of the episode on it's dub broadcast on Cartoon Network, because even with the long lost brother re write it's still pretty easy to tell by the visuals alone what's really happening.
Keep in mind this is the same programming block that was infamous for okaying two girls making meaningful looks at each other and getting touchy feely as long as they said they were cousins every 5 seconds.

I guess Toonami was okay with Blue being attracted to a little boy as long as there was an added context of reminding him of his (dead?) little brother.

Incest was Toonami’s kink

I will say as far as the “uncut” version there’s not much Funimation could have done and this was one of the few censored in an alleged uncut dub moments I’m okay with.
I guess they figured it was acceptable to keep the scene in there just as long as it was changed from where he's clearly hitting on Obotchaman in the original with the addition of the lost brother dialog, it's just even with that alteration the visuals are a dead give away to what's really happens. And yeah it's not terrible as far as changed things being in a supposedly uncut version because that was likely the only way FUNi's script people could adapt that scene other than it possibly being cut altogether which may have also been considered.

And indeed, this was after DiC had went out of their way to entirely re write the lesbian relationships in Sailor Moon as much as possible so that said characters were simply "relatives" (cousin.etc) and the other variations used therein to cover that up due to the dub's intended audience.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:57 pm

I know this has already been answered, but similar to a lot of other elements of the franchise, kinda-sorta. As mentioned, Bulma calls him a prude rather than "Fooey, must be gay" (which... I dunno, I kinda prefer?), but his vocal performance is as I said earlier in the topic like James from Pokémon turned up several notches. It's never explicitly mentioned, but his rather dramatic flair certainly leads one to conclude that he's at the very least rather effimate... until the scene with Bulma, of course.
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:23 pm I guess Toonami was okay with Blue being attracted to a little boy as long as there was an added context of reminding him of his (dead?) little brother.
I disagree actually. For me, the long lost brother idea was meant as a genuine change so that something, ANYTHING could be used instead of the original script. The performance tries to sell the lost brother idea for all it's worth, and Blue eventually concludes that "nah, that isn't my little brother" and instantly loses interest.

...it doesn't work very WELL, but the dub tries to sell it like the entire franchise is on the line.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:06 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:57 pm ...it doesn't work very WELL, but the dub tries to sell it like the entire franchise is on the line.
Actually, it DOES work pretty well. The animation's a little awkward, but, you CAN just interpret as him wanting to give his little brother a peck on the cheek (as families often do).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGaSPxArQz8
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

dbzj14

Post by dbzj14 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:26 pm

I love you all :D
Last edited by dbzj14 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:38 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:57 pm
I disagree actually. For me, the long lost brother idea was meant as a genuine change so that something, ANYTHING could be used instead of the original script. The performance tries to sell the lost brother idea for all it's worth, and Blue eventually concludes that "nah, that isn't my little brother" and instantly loses interest.

...it doesn't work very WELL, but the dub tries to sell it like the entire franchise is on the line.
Probably didn’t come across well in text but I was joking. Of course neither Funimation nor Toonami were
trying to push the idea of incest, it was just amusing to watch the dub dialog combined with the animation.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:56 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:23 pm I guess Toonami was okay with Blue being attracted to a little boy as long as there was an added context of reminding him of his (dead?) little brother.
I'm surprise no one watching Toonami back then got offended by it and try to report it to CN. I guess parents didn't seem to care that much when it was airing.
ABED wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:51 pm That's a priori logic.

Hollywood is overwhelmingly to the left
Not always true because movies like the MCU movies, and Transformers still have a right wing vibe to them. Those movies like glorify the US military and even in the MCU movies, the main heroes that save the day are white. Black Panther barely did anything in Infinity War and Endgame. He should not have died and actually help win against Thanos.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:29 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:33 pm It's a stereotype that they are in shape, but I've never heard of the "gay men are super strong" stereotype.

The stereotype might be more accurate going the opposite direction, that men with this body type are assumed to be gay, rather than the other way around.

To address the OP, I do think General Blue is a product of his time, and that makes it forgivable. But it is one of many examples where gayness is used as the butt of the joke. At least in the anime. People have been saying that the manga is different, but I can't speak on that. Even in the Funimation dub that attempted to hide Blue's gayness so as not to offend Christian parents, it was pretty obvious what was going on. It was almost as obvious as the Pokemon anime dub's infamous "donuts" scene.

If General Blue were used in the future (which is doubtful), he would need to be changed somehow. "Laugh at him because he's gay" used to be a very common joke in media, but it wouldn't fly these days.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:33 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:56 pmMovies like the MCU movies have a right wing vibe to them. Those movies like glorify the US military and even in the MCU movies, the main heroes that save the day are white. Black Panther barely did anything in Infinity War and Endgame. He should not have died and actually help win against Thanos.
The US military is glorified because those men and women are who protect the country on a daily basis. You do realize that there are just as many left leaning people in the military as there are right leaning people, right ? The heroes are white in the movies because they're white in the source material. Black Panther didn't do much in end game because the movie was written to conclude the journey of the original 6. This has nothing to do with right or left wing politics, it's just how things are.

With that said, what's the problem with the heroes being white ? why is white skin such an issue for people on the left, especially white people on the left ? This is a serious question, I honestly would love to know why the left has become so anti white. You claim to be anti racism yet you're racist against white people.

The MCU movies are not right leaning, very far from it. The MCU movies aren't even left leaning, they're movies that anyone (mostly) can enjoy. Do you know what some people on the right say ? they say the MCU have left vibes to them, just as you say they have right vibes to them. The reason for these very conflicting views on the MCU (and other movies) is that because some people are so obsessed with politics that if something doesn't line up 100% with their very faaaaaar right or faaaaar left political views, then that automatically makes it leaning to the other party's politics.
Last edited by sintzu on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:39 pm

As a note, the reason why the military is portrayed so positively in Transformers is because Michael Bay and the writers made the military a big part of those stories, and Bay loves having access to their equipment for his movies. He doesn't get access to that if he doesn't portray the military in a positive light.

I do recall though the military being shifty about the Decepticons only being military vehicles in his movies, as well as the intentionally intrusive Galloway character in the second movie.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:42 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:29 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:33 pm It's a stereotype that they are in shape, but I've never heard of the "gay men are super strong" stereotype.

The stereotype might be more accurate going the opposite direction, that men with this body type are assumed to be gay, rather than the other way around.

To address the OP, I do think General Blue is a product of his time, and that makes it forgivable. But it is one of many examples where gayness is used as the butt of the joke. At least in the anime. People have been saying that the manga is different, but I can't speak on that. Even in the Funimation dub that attempted to hide Blue's gayness so as not to offend Christian parents, it was pretty obvious what was going on. It was almost as obvious as the Pokemon anime dub's infamous "donuts" scene.

If General Blue were used in the future (which is doubtful), he would need to be changed somehow. "Laugh at him because he's gay" used to be a very common joke in media, but it wouldn't fly these days.
I know the stereotype is all gay men are in shape, but I've never once heard "Gay men are super strong". Are you conflating the two?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:51 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:33 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:56 pmMovies like the MCU movies have a right wing vibe to them. Those movies like glorify the US military and even in the MCU movies, the main heroes that save the day are white. Black Panther barely did anything in Infinity War and Endgame. He should not have died and actually help win against Thanos.
The US military is glorified because those men and women are who protect the country on a daily basis. You do realize that there are just as many left leaning people in the military as there are right leaning people, right ? The heroes are white in the movies because they're white in the source material. Black Panther didn't do much in end game because the movie was written to conclude the journey of the original 6. This has nothing to do with right or left wing politics, it's just how things are.

With that said, what's the problem with the heroes being white ? why is white skin such an issue for people on the left, especially white people on the left ? This is a serious question, I honestly would love to know why the left has become so anti white. You claim to be anti racism yet you're racist against white people.
I don’t know why this has suddenly turned into a discussion on race, but I’m just going to say that I think it’s pretty funny how there’s this narrative that the left is anti-white, while simultaneously being a bunch of slave owning white supremacists (according to people like Dinesh D’Souza).

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:57 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:42 pm I know the stereotype is all gay men are in shape, but I've never once heard "Gay men are super strong". Are you conflating the two?
No. I said that it might be more accurate to say that people with that bodybuilder type body are stereotyped as being gay, rather than that gay people are stereotyped as being strong. Most overtly gay characters I've seen have been portrayed as thin and frail.

Come to think of it, anime still continues to use gayness as the butt of jokes, yet no one seems to get worked up about it. My Hero Academia comes to mind. Maybe we're more willing to tolerate it because anime comes from another culture that is slow to change? Or is it just that their use of the characters isn't malicious enough to make people object to it?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:02 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:57 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:42 pm I know the stereotype is all gay men are in shape, but I've never once heard "Gay men are super strong". Are you conflating the two?
No. I said that it might be more accurate to say that people with that bodybuilder type body are stereotyped as being gay, rather than that gay people are stereotyped as being strong. Most overtly gay characters I've seen have been portrayed as thin and frail.

Come to think of it, anime still continues to use gayness as the butt of jokes, yet no one seems to get worked up about it. My Hero Academia comes to mind. Maybe we're more willing to tolerate it because anime comes from another culture that is slow to change? Or is it just that their use of the characters isn't malicious enough to make people object to it?
My Hero Academia’s existence is offensive enough. Questionable portrayal of oppressed minorities is the least of it’s worries.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:02 pm
ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:57 pm

My Hero Academia’s existence is offensive enough. Questionable portrayal of oppressed minorities is the least of it’s worries.
What's wrong with it?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147