With DragonBall getting more and more global, it's time to include more lgbtqia+ characters

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: With DragonBall getting more and more global, it's time to include more lgbtqia+ characters

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:05 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:43 pm Dragon Ball shouldn’t be dictated by other countries social hang ups.

Granted we’re talking about a series that should have, for the most part, ended in 95/96
I think he was just saying that "going global" isn't going to help the LGBTQIA+ community's case. It'll hurt it, if anything.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Re: With DragonBall getting more and more global, it's time to include more lgbtqia+ characters

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:36 am

I doubt Toriyama has the ability to do that, but DB isn't Toriyama's alone anymore. Kale is very much a creation from the anime staff and she gay af. Of course, they could have done a better job with her, but DBS was a production mess so I'm happy with what we got. Hopefully, she gets more focus in future stories. And, hopefully we get more diverse characters in general. I fail to see how this could be a bad thing. The more diverse, the more fun.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:55 am

*Tien and Yamcha are watching Goku struggle against a new female fighter*

Yamcha : Wow, even with all he's been through Goku is really having a hard time fighting that girl, shes pretty amazing.

Tien : Yeah, I guess going through that change has helped her control her style of technique better.

Yamcha : Change? what Change? Shes been the same since we met.

Tien : Yeah but apparently she was born like us

Yamcha: Like us? well obvisously she seems human, at least up front right?

Tien: Open your ears Yamcha, She was born like us, because she was born a boy.

Yamcha: WHAT?! oh wow i didnt think getting your body changed that way could make some one such an amazing fighter.

*Yamcha wonders to himself about asking her out*

Tien: I know that look on your face Yamcha, if you wanna marry her then just ask, just dont be weird about it or you'll get clobbered like with that last girl.

* Everyone Laughs*

I don't see how purposefully including someone who identifies with any of the LGBTQIA+ could be done any less subtly. Freeza and Zarbon had gay undertones but nothing that was truly worth exploring. Even if someone like fricken Whis revealed that he was more infatuated with the male body type, I still dont see what the point would be in the long run. Dragon Ball isn't type of story where sexuality and gender identity really matter and thats okay because there's a BAGILLION other anime out there with that subject matter as a primary theme.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:39 am

Dragon Ball is literally anything the staff want it to be. Ten years ago nobody could have foreseen all the new ideas introduced to the franchise.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:06 am

But the ideas still have to be in keeping with the established world.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:09 am

God Forms, Gods of Destruction, Angels, Evil Goku, more universes and canon Broly, while some of those concepts are certainly out of left field, they dont change the overall point of the story which is Goku on his journey of constant improvement as a martial artist.

Goku clashing fists with someone who claims to be Non Binary would serve no in universe purpose. If anything Freeza could be considered non binary since he carries both male and female characteristics and even then no one in the story cares about that at all because he being an evil piece of shit of a an individual supersedes anything else about him.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:16 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:39 am Dragon Ball is literally anything the staff want it to be. Ten years ago nobody could have foreseen all the new ideas introduced to the franchise.
You couldn't be more wrong. If that were true then Beerus wouldn't be a cat but a lizard. Toriyama always has the last word. If he decides to add another Blue or Dolltaki, then shall it be, but for now it's not for the fans to decide how DB should look like. If you want to watch some LGB stuff then I'm sure there's plenty of anime about it. I don't see any reason to add anything like that to a fighting/martial arts anime.

Besides, the name of this thread is weird. DB was always global; only the world (or at least West) is going into a very weird direction.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:26 pm

Mnich wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:16 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:39 am Dragon Ball is literally anything the staff want it to be. Ten years ago nobody could have foreseen all the new ideas introduced to the franchise.
You couldn't be more wrong. If that were true then Beerus wouldn't be a cat but a lizard. Toriyama always has the last word. If he decides to add another Blue or Dolltaki, then shall it be, but for now it's not for the fans to decide how DB should look like. If you want to watch some LGB stuff then I'm sure there's plenty of anime about it. I don't see any reason to add anything like that to a fighting/martial arts anime.

Besides, the name of this thread is weird. DB was always global; only the world (or at least West) is going into a very weird direction.
What, you think Toriyama literally checks every piece of the series? It's not possible. Broad ideas might be passed along to him but the clear queer elements present in the series can still exist independent of him.

Saying that martial arts prevents the series from indulging in queer content is just silly. There is zero reason that when Super comes back we can't have a scene where Kale and Caulifla kiss or get married.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:45 pm

DB has never done relationships well. Have we even seen Vegeta and Bulma or Gohan and Videl kiss?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:10 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:45 pm DB has never done relationships well. Have we even seen Vegeta and Bulma or Gohan and Videl kiss?
The closest the series has ever come to showing an actual kiss was when Future Trunks was feeding a senzu to Future Mai via mouth to mouth, and even then, the camera panned away as it happened. Onscreen kisses seem to be a pretty big no-no in most Shonen series’, but general perviness is apparently alright.

gantarat

Post by gantarat » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:28 am

Also, as far as Super concerned.

Caulifla's think to Kale as a Sister and She start to be close Cabba? (drag him to training with them)

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:00 am

I feel like if Dragon Ball tried to do proper representation of LGBT characters and issues it would just do it really badly. Toriyama has more than confessed to not having a damn clue how to write romance (and it shows), so in a series where characters' sexuality is already mostly irrelevant, calling attention to where their attractions lie at ALL will look a bit out-of-place, and would border on just being poorly-executed otherwise.

As much as I love it I don't actually think Dragon Ball is, or ever was, all that amazingly written or structured. When you can't get the finer details of your main plot to gel compellingly a lot of the time, how the fuck can I trust you to handle something nuanced and prone to stereotype?

Uhh, so basically my answer is "yes there should be more diversity of that type among the cast but you need a REALLY good writer or else people will hate it". The best we can hope for is that the suspected or baited ships become canon, OTP. Caulifla and Kale are the most obvious choice, make them an item.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:43 am

i'd love for db to have more androgynous (i know that angrogyny doesn't always equal queer but yeah) characters or gender non confirming characters in it, especially considering the popularity of freeza, i think it would make sense, as long as it's not played for comedy, of course.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:18 am

Shaddy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:00 amAs much as I love it I don't actually think Dragon Ball is, or ever was, all that amazingly written or structured. When you can't get the finer details of your main plot to gel compellingly a lot of the time
What's wrong with the structure?

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:49 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:26 pm

What, you think Toriyama literally checks every piece of the series? It's not possible. Broad ideas might be passed along to him but the clear queer elements present in the series can still exist independent of him.

Saying that martial arts prevents the series from indulging in queer content is just silly. There is zero reason that when Super comes back we can't have a scene where Kale and Caulifla kiss or get married.
Sounds like a bad fanfiction if you ask me. It's totally unnecessary and we don't need this in Dragon Ball. Do we? What we need is a good story/adventure, some humor and great fights, that is the essence of Dragon Ball.

Kale and Caulifla are like sisters. Kale always calls Caulifla "Onee-san", which means big sis.

You know what's silly? Calling Zamasu and Black gay. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:52 am

I'm all up for more LBGTQIA+ characters.

The big problem is finding somebody who can write characters of those kinds of sexuality with sincerity and nuance.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Mnich wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:49 am

Sounds like a bad fanfiction if you ask me. It's totally unnecessary and we don't need this in Dragon Ball. Do we? What we need is a good story/adventure, some humor and great fights, that is the essence of Dragon Ball.

Kale and Caulifla are like sisters. Kale always calls Caulifla "Onee-san", which means big sis.

Indeed. i mean, I could totally see Zamasu and Black having "fun" in that cabin when no one's looking, but is it gay when you're doing it with yourself?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:32 pm

Mnich wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:49 am

Love your "no fun allowed" attitude. Totes worthy of you taking your time out of your day to make that post.

Sweetie, Kale calling Caulifla 'ane-san' makes their relationship hotter. Don't downplay queer content because you deem it 'unnecessary' merely on the basis that martial arts works somehow cannot feature any genre but martial arts.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:55 pm

It's not an issue of having another genre in DB, it's that romance feels out of place.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:09 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:55 pm It's not an issue of having another genre in DB, it's that romance feels out of place.
Dragon Ball went from parody and comedy to five year olds getting their necks broken but a little bit of romance is Just Too Far. Wow.

Literally no reason we can't get a little romance or queer content if the staff want to.
She/Her
bisexual milf