"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by head_cha_la » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:36 am

In my opinion, Dragon Ball Super will come back in April 2020, when Gegege no Kitaro's season 2 is over and this time there is a good chance that it will be the case since Kitaro never made more than 120 episodes. This is the only niche on which we can theorize. XD

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:49 am

head_cha_la wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:36 am In my opinion, Dragon Ball Super will come back in April 2020, when Gegege no Kitaro's season 2 is over and this time there is a good chance that it will be the case since Kitaro never made more than 120 episodes. This is the only niche on which we can theorize. XD
Brand new account with 24 post, I doubt any of that will be true tbh they can change timeslot and just put how they want, then again nobody has said anything past "July" at all, for some weird reason so I'm just gonna wait until SDCC announce or not or before SDCC I wouldn't be surprise if they pull out of their ass anywhere on July I got nothing else to say after that.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:15 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:49 pm
HeroR wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:57 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:05 am I feel like I'm the only one who really doesn't care if DBS doesn't come back. It'll just be more of the time stagant storytelling with no actual growth, and likely retell the Broly movie with worse animation which was the biggest plus for that movie anyway.
While Super has some stagnant sections, acting like there was no growth at all is just false. Especially with Broly, regardless of your feelings about the movie itself, showed a lot of growth for his character. The same goes for a lot of secondary characters like Hit, Cali, Cabba, and even Rib. Heck, Zamasu had growth, in the opposite direction to become a villain.

I think some people think if the main characters don't grow, then no growth happens which is fundamentally false. Especially with other classic animes that had secondary characters have a lot of growth, both positive and negative, while the main characters remain mostly the same like Fist of the North Star.
The characters look and act exactly the same from DBS episode 1 to DBS episode 131. Not really growth at all, considering this series in the past constantly had growth and the characters changing.
That’s only true of the original cast for the most part. Especially when you considered that the human cast in Z didn’t grow either outside of Krillin. Most of the characters that grew in Z were new characters like Vegeta and Gohan.

The same holds true with Super where Beerus, Champa, Hit, and even Jiren are the same characters we met in the beginning.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:49 pm

Lionel wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:11 pm I personally find it worrisome that the success of Broly might galvanise Toei into pursuing more rehashes instead of dedicating themselves to more original villains. Sure, there's a great number of DB fans who enjoy Broly, but it's not a universal opinion.
Almost no opinion is universal. For every fan that wants a new villain, there’s another who wants Cooler. Most casuals don’t care and just want to see people beat each other up.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:18 pm

HeroR wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:49 pm
Lionel wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:11 pm I personally find it worrisome that the success of Broly might galvanise Toei into pursuing more rehashes instead of dedicating themselves to more original villains. Sure, there's a great number of DB fans who enjoy Broly, but it's not a universal opinion.
Almost no opinion is universal. For every fan that wants a new villain, there’s another who wants Cooler. Most casuals don’t care and just want to see people beat each other up.
I'm of the latter mindset. I believe I mentioned it in another subforum that my childhood experiences with the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise have turned me off from the "keep introducing new characters forever" thing. If there's a character who might as well be Cooler, then just use Cooler. Broly has shown that the movies can be completely retconned and their characters rewritten for the better. Thus, we have literally loads of old characters who can be used in new ways.
As long as you don't take it too far and start reviving more villains from the past whose arcs are complete (i.e. Piccolo Daimao, Freeza's henchmen, Dr. Gero and #19, Cell, and Super Boo), it could work.
head_cha_la wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:36 am In my opinion, Dragon Ball Super will come back in April 2020, when Gegege no Kitaro's season 2 is over and this time there is a good chance that it will be the case since Kitaro never made more than 120 episodes. This is the only niche on which we can theorize. XD
This is what I've been saying since it was announced that Super was over. There was absolutely zero indication Kitaro would only last 50 episodes/1 year and all indication it would last about 100/2 years.
The evidence to me suggests Toei planned for Super to be something similar to Gegege no Kitaro, a sort of "anniversary anime" deal that would air ever so often for about 100 episodes. But then it wound up becoming a runaway success, helping to turn Dragon Ball into a billion dollar franchise, and now they're probably tooling it to make sure what comes next doesn't start off on such a sloppy note.

Maybe if they're smart, they'll put it off for a few years and not air the follow-up to Dragon Ball Super until sometime in 2021 or 2022 to allow the manga to get very far ahead so they can adapt it with ease. Who knows, they might "Kai" Super to ease into that like with what happened with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:41 pm

People still trying to believe/defend Geekdom 😂😂

Nothing coming in July, this has been known to people who aren’t delusional for a couple of months now.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:39 pm

HeroR wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:15 pm

While Super has some stagnant sections, acting like there was no growth at all is just false. Especially with Broly, regardless of your feelings about the movie itself, showed a lot of growth for his character. The same goes for a lot of secondary characters like Hit, Cali, Cabba, and even Rib. Heck, Zamasu had growth, in the opposite direction to become a villain.

I think some people think if the main characters don't grow, then no growth happens which is fundamentally false. Especially with other classic animes that had secondary characters have a lot of growth, both positive and negative, while the main characters remain mostly the same like Fist of the North Star.
The characters look and act exactly the same from DBS episode 1 to DBS episode 131. Not really growth at all, considering this series in the past constantly had growth and the characters changing.
That’s only true of the original cast for the most part. Especially when you considered that the human cast in Z didn’t grow either outside of Krillin. Most of the characters that grew in Z were new characters like Vegeta and Gohan.

The same holds true with Super where Beerus, Champa, Hit, and even Jiren are the same characters we met in the beginning.
beerus began to have more respect for mortals as the case of roshi
hit took the role of a team leader he have even managed to save his teammates when he was originally hit preferred to work alone and it was thanks to goku that he started to improve as a warrior.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:33 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:39 pm

hit took the role of a team leader he have even managed to save his teammates when he was originally hit preferred to work alone and it was thanks to goku that he started to improve as a warrior.

Meant to write ‘are not the same characters we met’.
Kanassa wrote:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:44 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:18 pm
I'm of the latter mindset. I believe I mentioned it in another subforum that my childhood experiences with the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise have turned me off from the "keep introducing new characters forever" thing. If there's a character who might as well be Cooler, then just use Cooler. Broly has shown that the movies can be completely retconned and their characters rewritten for the better. Thus, we have literally loads of old characters who can be used in new ways.
As long as you don't take it too far and start reviving more villains from the past whose arcs are complete (i.e. Piccolo Daimao, Freeza's henchmen, Dr. Gero and #19, Cell, and Super Boo), it could work.
This is what I've been saying since it was announced that Super was over. There was absolutely zero indication Kitaro would only last 50 episodes/1 year and all indication it would last about 100/2 years.
The evidence to me suggests Toei planned for Super to be something similar to Gegege no Kitaro, a sort of "anniversary anime" deal that would air ever so often for about 100 episodes. But then it wound up becoming a runaway success, helping to turn Dragon Ball into a billion dollar franchise, and now they're probably tooling it to make sure what comes next doesn't start off on such a sloppy note.

Maybe if they're smart, they'll put it off for a few years and not air the follow-up to Dragon Ball Super until sometime in 2021 or 2022 to allow the manga to get very far ahead so they can adapt it with ease. Who knows, they might "Kai" Super to ease into that like with what happened with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
Kai was met with much mah in Japan and only continued thanks to international interest since it was actually canceled in Japan and only came back because the show it replaced did even worse. So I doubt they would do that with Super.

As for bringing back old villains, they’re not too many villains I care about enough to see rebooted. Even Cooler would need some major rewriting since he’s basically a more boring Freeza with the only thing interesting about him is his one-side sibling rivalry (because Cooler and Freeza rarely interacts even in extended media, it makes Freeza seem indifferent to Cooler’s existence). Even him being calmer and rational was taken by him by Freeza thanks to all the character development Freeza got in Resurrection ‘F’ and the TOP.
Kanassa wrote:

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:01 pm

So are we supposed to expect anything on July?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:03 pm

HeroR wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:33 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Meant to write ‘are not the same characters we met’.
lol my mistake

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:08 pm

The fact that we cant get the characters to age beyond two babies being born, and majority of the cast can't even change their clothes is baffling to me.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:32 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:01 pm So are we supposed to expect anything on July?
Comic con is coming up si maybe we'll get something there. Super was announced 3 months before it aired so if 2uper is going to air in October then it should be announced in July.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:41 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:08 pm
The fact that we cant get the characters to age beyond two babies being born, and majority of the cast can't even change their clothes is baffling to me.
So basically your problem isn't really character growth, but more that people's clothing are not changing. Honestly, I don't see why this is such an issue around here. One Piece characters had a ton of character growth from both the main and secondary cast and only two years past in-universe and most of the characters don't change their outfits.

So this isn't baffling to me if you read or watch any other anime or manga besides Dragon Ball and specifically Z section since Goku, Krillin, and Roshi didn't change appearance for years despite three years passing between the Red Ribbon Army and 22nd tournament, unless you count Goku growing an inch and losing his pot belly.
Kanassa wrote:

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:14 pm

Why would they announce their series in San Diego of all places and What's going to be the new date when July and SDCC fail?

vashter wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:20 pm There was a YouTube a long time ago originally ajay prediction would come April but then again he change it to July that is all and it has been said in here 1000000000000 times
So he really did Say Super was in preproduction?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:16 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:14 pm Why would they announce their series in San Diego of all places and What's going to be the new date when July and SDCC fail?

vashter wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:20 pm There was a YouTube a long time ago originally ajay prediction would come April but then again he change it to July that is all and it has been said in here 1000000000000 times
So he really did Say Super was in preproduction?
According to sources, Super started pre-production in late 2018.

Also SDCC is the biggest convention for all things fiction. And the people in charge have been stressing that DB is an international thing. So, while SDCC isn’t in Japan, that wont stop them from revealing 2uper since DB is a worldwide thing and SDCC is the biggest fiction convention in the world. Its the best way to announce to the whole world that DB is returning.

Anyway, if it aint SDCC, we got a whole DB World Tour ending off at an event in Japan (which i think will be the Jump Festa event).
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:18 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:18 pm

I really hope Toei doesn't adapt the manga, I don't want to watch the same story twice with the same scenes.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:27 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:16 pm According to sources, Super started pre-production in late 2018.

Also SDCC is the biggest convention for all things fiction. And the people in charge have been stressing that DB is an international thing. So, while SDCC isn’t in Japan, that wont stop them from revealing 2uper since DB is a worldwide thing and SDCC is the biggest fiction convention in the world. Its the best way to announce to the whole world that DB is returning.

Anyway, if it aint SDCC, we got a whole DB World Tour ending off at an event in Japan (which i think will be the Jump Festa event).
While I do get that SDCC is a big thing here in the West, would the production team behind Dragon Ball want to focus that much on the international market to announce 2.0 like that?
I mean, yeah, it would be cool and all, but I don't think there is any history of things like that happening.
Then again, a bunch of anime cons in the US have been showing trailers and announcements for big series, like MS Gundam.

Still, if they were to announce something, it wouldn't be something that would get "shadow dropped" to people like some game companies tend to do. It would probably mean that any announcements would be for Fall or Winter if the series airs this year.

head_cha_la wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:18 pm I really hope Toei doesn't adapt the manga, I don't want to watch the same story twice with the same scenes.
Well, while the story beats are the same, there is some stuff that I would say that the manga handled better than the anime, but there are also things that the anime handled better. Still, it would be cool to see some of the manga original stuff to find its way to get animated officially.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:47 pm

HeroR wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:41 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:08 pm
So basically your problem isn't really character growth
Oh don't give me that, you know exactly what I mean. Don't defend the modern stuff for keeping everyone in this ageless, progressionless gap.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:18 pm

I hope SUPER NEVER RETURNS

how you guys like that? How'd ya'll feel if Toei never brings it back except for movies and that'd mean less power scailing and story inconsistency bullshit from you guys

I'm honestly having more fun watching SDBH (promo anime) than I would watching that God awful Moro Saga that's going on in the manga like who the hell wants to watch Toyotaro's fights adapted if they're not as intimidating or as spectacle as Toriyama's were back in the day?