Dragon Ball Z: Best of DVD releases

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Z: Best of DVD releases

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Trying to see how many of these actually exist and catalog them for those interested.

The first two DVD's started from this Servey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/K5XQT6C However, I'm not sure about the next two/future releases. Also the gap between manufacturing it interesting. All DVD's use the orange brick remasters.
Audio: English/Japanese Score or Japanese Audio w/ optional subtitles

Best of Goku
Best of Vegeta
Best of Villians
Best Fights
Best of Piccolo

Episodes Released (In Order)
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:43 am, edited 6 times in total.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Walmart Exclusive Top Seven Fights DVDs

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:35 am

Huh, there's more volumes than just Goku and Vegeta but the quality is all OB. :thumbdown: Cool covers though. :)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:52 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:35 am Huh, there's more volumes than just Goku and Vegeta but the quality is all OB. :thumbdown: Cool covers though. :)
Would been awesome if they were Dragon Box! But, they're fun to randomly spot since these seem to be quiet releases. And most of the episodes featured are some of my favorites. So if I want a shot of DBZ i'll pop one of these on :D. The covers remind me a little of the custom covers I made years ago that were based off the old Bandai toy boxes lol

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:25 pm

Wow, I didnt know they made more than those first two. Interesting.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:40 pm

Obligatory "only about three of these episodes are self contained, so why would anyone want these as stand-alone discs". They would be more interesting as new edits of each fight rather than whole episodes, but I suppose it wouldn't be a budget release with that much work to do, and to be fair they're great value for the episode count. This is a rare case where the lengthy recaps opening each episode are actually a good thing!

They might have been better off doing a DVD for each story arc, as you could probably throw together a decent overview of Vegeta/Freeza/Androids/Boo with seven episodes apiece.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:54 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:40 pm Obligatory "only about three of these episodes are self contained, so why would anyone want these as stand-alone discs". They would be more interesting as new edits of each fight rather than whole episodes, but I suppose it wouldn't be a budget release with that much work to do, and to be fair they're great value for the episode count. This is a rare case where the lengthy recaps opening each episode are actually a good thing!

They might have been better off doing a DVD for each story arc, as you could probably throw together a decent overview of Vegeta/Freeza/Androids/Boo with seven episodes apiece.
When these came out I thought theyd be like those "Full fight" edits you see on youtube. But they're basically like those "Best Of" dvd releases. Its a fun find to see at walmart and the price is cheap enough. I think season recaps would of been great to add tho

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:38 pm

Has anyone scanned the four covers? It'd be a shame if they went to waste.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:46 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:38 pm Has anyone scanned the four covers? It'd be a shame if they went to waste.
I think
has at least scanned the Goku and Vegeta covers.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:19 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:38 pm Has anyone scanned the four covers? It'd be a shame if they went to waste.
How would they go to waste when they are commercially making money for Funimation?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:18 pm

ZodaEX wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:19 pmHow would they go to waste when they are commercially making money for Funimation?
If no one appreciated the art on the covers or preserve it which at least that's something most, if not all fans can agree on. The video footage? Pass. It's the shitty OBs.

I'd have bought these if they somehow had Dragon Box Z footage or even the Singles.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:37 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:18 pm
ZodaEX wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:19 pmHow would they go to waste when they are commercially making money for Funimation?
If no one appreciated the art on the covers or preserve it which at least that's something most, if not all fans can agree on. The video footage? Pass. It's the shitty OBs.

I'd have bought these if they somehow had Dragon Box Z footage or even the Singles.
Well they still wouldn't have been a waste because the covers act as an "eye catch" to lure Wal-Mart customers into buying the DVD. If they had just used plain black text on a white background, then they would be easier to miss for a potential buyer.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:57 am

I found the 'The Best Fights' one (with Gohan and Cell) in the bargain bin at Walmart yesterday, bought three of them actually because they were $3.50 a pop. The reason why is because I've never owned the orange bricks and $5 is about what I'd spend on an entire season of that garbage so I figured out of morbid curiosity I'd check them out. I opened them just to make sure the discs are in good shape (you know, since they're just tossed in a bin), haven't actually popped one in yet. I figured I'll throw them into my eBay bundles when I start selling my extra DVDs on eBay.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:24 pm

Did they actually include an episode from the Garlic Jr. arc on the Best Fights dvd? Really?

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:52 am

SqueakyBoots wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:24 pm Did they actually include an episode from the Garlic Jr. arc on the Best Fights dvd? Really?
What's the problem with that?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:43 pm

This is a bit off topic, but I don't know if it warrants an entirely new thread, but anyway, I went to Walmart recently, and they had a slot on the DVD shelf dedicated to the old Broly single three pack DVD, and they had a couple in stock... while they were simultaneously selling the superior movie packs using the Double Feature discs.

What was that all about? Why is FUNimation still producing those DVDs?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:51 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:43 pm This is a bit off topic, but I don't know if it warrants an entirely new thread, but anyway, I went to Walmart recently, and they had a slot on the DVD shelf dedicated to the old Broly single three pack DVD, and they had a couple in stock... while they were simultaneously selling the superior movie packs using the Double Feature discs.

I noticed that too! I think its because DVDs still sell really well and it's to run off the broly hype. I wonder if they're the single DVDs or they replaced the video with the remastered video

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:51 pm
Metalwario64 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:43 pm This is a bit off topic, but I don't know if it warrants an entirely new thread, but anyway, I went to Walmart recently, and they had a slot on the DVD shelf dedicated to the old Broly single three pack DVD, and they had a couple in stock... while they were simultaneously selling the superior movie packs using the Double Feature discs.

I noticed that too! I think its because DVDs still sell really well and it's to run off the broly hype. I wonder if they're the single DVDs or they replaced the video with the remastered video
I have a copy of that set which i got from Wal-Mart a while back, being that i didn't already have the three original Broly movies in my collection and it is indeed the old single discs for the film's only packaged in slim cases, but still with the early 2000's previews and everything.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:47 pm

My local store has a Piccolo DVD, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:33 am

Episode 125:
Vs Driving School
LMAO, I think that sets the tone for that episode quite well.
Well, as much as they seem pointless to me, people seem to keep buying these things. I guess the Broly/Toonami Super hype is getting people nostalgic, or something.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:18 pm

Just FYI, not that it really matters but these aren’t Walmart exclusive. My local Best Buy carries them as well.