"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:31 pm

Noitsnothim wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:18 pm I hope SUPER NEVER RETURNS

how you guys like that?
I know what you actually mean, but the first thing I thought was: Do we have a badass over here? :D
How'd ya'll feel if Toei never brings it back except for movies and that'd mean less power scailing and story inconsistency bullshit from you guys

I'm honestly having more fun watching SDBH (promo anime) than I would watching that God awful Moro Saga that's going on in the manga like who the hell wants to watch Toyotaro's fights adapted if they're not as intimidating or as spectacle as Toriyama's were back in the day?
Why would movies mean less power scaling or story inconsistency?

You're assuming that an adaptation of Toyo's fights couldn't improve the choreography or that the fights could look much better when in motion. Plus, aside from a few scenes, SDBH's fights have been pretty bland overall with a lot of stiff gliding and repetitive energy blasts as well as WAY TOO MANY 'We all stand still while the screen shakes to pretend this awkward beam clash has more impact'.

Plus, SDBH fights have as much investment as a video game versus match.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:01 pm

how you guys like that? How'd ya'll feel if Toei never brings it back except for movies and that'd mean less power scailing and story inconsistency bullshit from you guys

I'm honestly having more fun watching SDBH (promo anime) than I would watching that God awful Moro Saga that's going on in the manga like who the hell wants to watch Toyotaro's fights adapted if they're not as intimidating or as spectacle as Toriyama's were back in the day?
Lol.... Toriyama actually like Toyotaro's fight, a lot people who read manga actually enjoy it, if you didn't then Idk why you reading or watching dragon ball, just remember that Akira himself said "dragon ball is nothing but fighting." that it.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:55 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:16 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:14 pm Why would they announce their series in San Diego of all places and What's going to be the new date when July and SDCC fail?

vashter wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:20 pm There was a YouTube a long time ago originally ajay prediction would come April but then again he change it to July that is all and it has been said in here 1000000000000 times
So he really did Say Super was in preproduction?
According to sources, Super started pre-production in late 2018.
But the producer said they haven't even gotten anything done yet.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:47 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:55 pmThe producer said they haven't even gotten anything done yet.
The producer can't say anything until the show is officially announced. Whether or not they've worked on as much as the rumors say is anyone's guess, but they've done something.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:54 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:47 pm
HeroR wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:41 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:08 pm
The fact that we cant get the characters to age beyond two babies being born, and majority of the cast can't even change their clothes is baffling to me.
So basically your problem isn't really character growth
Oh don't give me that, you know exactly what I mean. Don't defend the modern stuff for keeping everyone in this ageless, progressionless gap.
I don’t have to defend anything since one of the best written modern manga takes place in a span of two years, is still ongoing after over twenty years, and outside of art style change, they haven’t changed in appearance either and some characters look younger. So I don't have an issue with 'modern Dragon Ball' not aging up characters. Heck, as long as the story is good, I don't care if the entire series that pans ten years in real times happens over a weekend in-universe.

And Super has hardly been 'progressionless' for the reasons I wrote. Characters changed in Super, it just isn't the old guard outside of Roshi and Krillin, and to be frank the old guard doesn't need to change.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:44 pm

head_cha_la wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:36 am In my opinion, Dragon Ball Super will come back in April 2020, when Gegege no Kitaro's season 2 is over and this time there is a good chance that it will be the case since Kitaro never made more than 120 episodes. This is the only niche on which we can theorize. XD
I honestly wouldn't mind Super not coming back until April if it will come back better than ever and the new movie can run alongside it, or better yet be the conclusion to the new series. I miss watching new episodes on a regular basis, but its good to have some downtime to take it all in and for the manga to have a head start.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:11 pm

Noitsnothim wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:18 pm how you guys like that? How'd ya'll feel if Toei never brings it back except for movies and that'd mean less power scailing and story inconsistency bullshit from you guys
fnf movie is more inconsistency than anime version, BOG movie is more boring than anime version
Noitsnothim wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:18 pm I'm honestly having more fun watching SDBH (promo anime) than I would watching that God awful Moro Saga that's going on in the manga like who the hell wants to watch Toyotaro's fights adapted if they're not as intimidating or as spectacle as Toriyama's were back in the day?
yes moro is boring

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:45 pm

vashter wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:01 pm

how you guys like that? How'd ya'll feel if Toei never brings it back except for movies and that'd mean less power scailing and story inconsistency bullshit from you guys

Lol.... Toriyama actually like Toyotaro's fight, a lot people who read manga actually enjoy it, if you didn't then Idk why you reading or watching dragon ball, just remember that Akira himself said "dragon ball is nothing but fighting." that it.
He also said he's not much of a fan of the 'Fighting' Aspect that's why he gives depth to the stories so readers aren't bored by the fights when it gets to that part you fool

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:41 am

DBS going seasonal would make me so happy. Do movies in between seasons , manga and heroes keep running as they are

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:31 pm

Isn't a seasonal anime the one where you get 14 episodes a season and then it goes on a break for a few months? Toyotaro would have to come up with an idea for an arc and have it all mapped out while the anime is on hiatus so Toei can adapt it.. That sounds like hell. And, unlike with BNHA, we have a monthly manga which already works him hard enough IIRC.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:30 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:31 pm Isn't a seasonal anime the one where you get 14 episodes a season and then it goes on a break for a few months? Toyotaro would have to come up with an idea for an arc and have it all mapped out while the anime is on hiatus so Toei can adapt it.. That sounds like hell. And, unlike with BNHA, we have a monthly manga which already works him hard enough IIRC.
Not every seasonal anime only has 14 episodes a season. Quite a few have seasons more comparable to an American TV season.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:29 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:30 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:31 pm Isn't a seasonal anime the one where you get 14 episodes a season and then it goes on a break for a few months? Toyotaro would have to come up with an idea for an arc and have it all mapped out while the anime is on hiatus so Toei can adapt it.. That sounds like hell. And, unlike with BNHA, we have a monthly manga which already works him hard enough IIRC.
Not every seasonal anime only has 14 episodes a season. Quite a few have seasons more comparable to an American TV season.
14? Thats a weird number for even seasonal anime. Most seasonal anime have 12 episodes and then you have to wait ATLEAST a year for the next season. Occasionally they get 13th episode. Others tend to have 24 to 25 episodes which cover 2 seasons.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:55 am

Yonkou is "hinting" its One Piece Stampede Fault no DBS in July :lol:

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1 ... 0426858499

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:11 am

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:55 am Yonkou is "hinting" its One Piece Stampede Fault no DBS in July :lol:

I'm not good at telling staff members, but isn't the movie releasing in like a month? By now I think they have it done. And then there is the case of new One Piece arc having DBS Broly art style too.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:32 am

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:55 am Yonkou is "hinting" its One Piece Stampede Fault no DBS in July :lol:

That's just what he thinks. At this point I don't think anyone knows what's going on with it.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:18 am

I've been expecting a tweet like this but I didn't think any of them would post it so soon. I expected mid July. And out of all the excuses they could have used I didn't even think one piece was going to be one of them.

Yonkou shares sources with Geekdom and Ajay so does this tweet mean they're at a loss? I get that animators are kept in the dark about a lot of stuff but there has to be a limit. The ones that keep tabs with Geekdom, Ajay and Yonkou don't even know they're working on a different series?
Last edited by IntangibleFancy on Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:54 am

Wano is an arc Oda has been excited to work on in the manga for a long while, so it's not too surprising that Toei would be working extra hard to make sure this arc looks good animated.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:09 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:18 am

I've been expecting a tweet like this but I didn't think any of them would post it so soon. I expected mid July. And out of all the excuses they could have used I didn't even think one piece was going to be one of them.

Yonkou shares sources with Geekdom and Ajay so does this tweet mean they're at a loss? I get that animators are kept in the dark about a lot of stuff but there has to be a limit. The ones that keep tabs with Geekdom, Ajay and Yonkou don't even know they're working on a different series?
What may be going on is that Toei could be giving wrong info to "leakers" on purpose to throw everyone off.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:12 pm

sintzu wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:09 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:18 am

What may be going on is that Toei could be giving wrong info to "leakers" on purpose to throw everyone off.
Now that makes sense. But it also means those 3 let themselves be tricked for half a year.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:06 pm

sintzu wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:09 pm What may be going on is that Toei could be giving wrong info to "leakers" on purpose to throw everyone off.
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:12 pm
sintzu wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:09 pm What may be going on is that Toei could be giving wrong info to "leakers" on purpose to throw everyone off.
Now that makes sense. But it also means those 3 let themselves be tricked for half a year.

Seriously, conspiracy theory is what makes sense?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.