2019 Dragon Ball Predictions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Re: 2019 Dragon Ball Predictions

Post by zarmack » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:27 pm

1. The Super Anime will return around Fall as a seasonal anime instead of weekly.
2. It will not retell the Broly film, but may adapt the Galactic Prison arc from the manga.
3. DBFZ Season 2 will be announced in Spring.
4. Xenoverse 3 will be announced around Fall.
5. Shintani's art style will be the Super anime's new look, Yamamuro will be fired.
6. Future Trunks will come back, again (he had little reason to leave).
7. There will be an extended director's cut of DBS Broly which features missing material from Toriyama's script.
8. Planet Sadala arc will happen after the Galactic Prison arc.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:28 pm

PFM18 wrote:
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:There's no way Toei will have another adaption of a movie in the anime. That was done in Super to begin with because Toei didn't have any material, and Toriyama suggested retelling the movies. This time it would be an insanely stupid move (more so than last time). It won't happen. Just a waste of time.
No, they should have an anime retelling of the movie, that's why there's a thread discussing the matter with people on both sides.
It would be better if they just made an extended director's cut of the film instead of a TV retelling.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:05 pm

zarmack wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:There's no way Toei will have another adaption of a movie in the anime. That was done in Super to begin with because Toei didn't have any material, and Toriyama suggested retelling the movies. This time it would be an insanely stupid move (more so than last time). It won't happen. Just a waste of time.
No, they should have an anime retelling of the movie, that's why there's a thread discussing the matter with people on both sides.
It would be better if they just made an extended director's cut of the film instead of a TV retelling.
They need to have SSBE and SSBKK to keep anime continuity, at the very least. And I don't think an extended cut would be enough. That story needs a lot more meat to it.

They would be stupid not to retell it.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:08 am

1. If the anime does return, it will either be in April or July.
2. They will do a retelling of the movie (As much as I don't want it too...) because their was extra material they can work with.
3. An announcement of a spin off manga like how we got the Yamacha Reincarnation manga a few years back.
4. Xenoverse 3 will have an announcement in the summer or fall.
5. We won't get an announcement of the season sets until the TOP finished it Toonami run which is predicted to end around November/December.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:50 am

PFM18 wrote:
I haven't seen it. And why bother making a movie if they're going to make a half-assed anime adaption soon after? It makes no sense. Again, they only did it with BoG and RoF because they needed material, and Toriyama suggested it. This is one level of stupidity I don't see Toei falling to.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:48 pm

• Dragon Ball Super will not return in 2019, but it will be confirmed that the anime is continuing. Conversely, it will be announced in the summer and released during the autumn season.
  • Dragon Ball will start airing on Toonami again, this time uncensored
  • Shintani will replace Yamamuro for the Super anime; Yamamuro will remain lead for the Heroes anime and animated bits in games
  • FighterZ season 2 will be formally announced, and will include Jiren, Broly (Super), Kefla, Ultra Instinct Goku, and Muten Roshi among others.
  • Xenoverse 2 will have one more DLC pack. Xenoverse 3 won't be announced until later in the year
  • Dragon Ball Super: Broly will break $100 million worldwide
  • Son Goku returns to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 2019
  • When Xenoverse 3 is announced, Caulifla and Kale will have a prominent amount of screentime in the advertising due to a focus on interuniversal strife and factions/schools and this will bring back the "usual suspects" over claims they're upstaging Goku
  • When FighterZ season 2 is released, it will break sales records for a fighting game DLC
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:00 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:48 pm
  • Dragon Ball Super will not return in 2019, but it will be confirmed that the anime is continuing. Conversely, it will be announced in the summer and released during the autumn season.
  • Dragon Ball will start airing on Toonami again, this time uncensored
  • Shintani will replace Yamamuro for the Super anime; Yamamuro will remain lead for the Heroes anime and animated bits in games
  • FighterZ season 2 will be formally announced, and will include Jiren, Broly (Super), Kefla, Ultra Instinct Goku, and Muten Roshi among others.
  • Xenoverse 2 will have one more DLC pack. Xenoverse 3 won't be announced until later in the year
  • Dragon Ball Super: Broly will break $100 million worldwide
  • Son Goku returns to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 2019
  • When Xenoverse 3 is announced, Caulifla and Kale will have a prominent amount of screentime in the advertising due to a focus on interuniversal strife and factions/schools and this will bring back the "usual suspects" over claims they're upstaging Goku
  • When FighterZ season 2 is released, it will break sales records for a fighting game DLC
1: The year's half over and so far we've still got no news of a continuation. Only rumors that never seem to pan out. I heard a while ago that "really good sources" confirmed Toei had presented concepts to investors and Super would return sometime in April; July at the latest. And that was considered pessimistic because some believed a new series would be announced in December 2018 or early January of this year. Well, July is a little over a week away. If nothing's been announced now, it almost certainly won't be airing next month.
At this rate, I would not be surprised if we went the rest of 2019 without any news of a new season. However, I will hold out on the hope that it returns in the Fall.
2: Well, it was a hope. Maybe it could still happen.
3: We'd need to see the anime return to confirm that.
4: Is Season 2 happening? Or was that just a bunch of characters being added?
5: Called it, but that really wasn't a shock. Anyone could've seen that Xenoverse 2 had enough life left for one last little money grab.
6: Called it!
7: I hope.
8: When I said this, I wasn't clear about who the "usual suspects" were. I was talking about the manosphere/4chan types who still unironically call Caulifla & Kale "Mary Sues" and use the (admittedly) BS rushed development about S-cells/back tingling as a catapult to make them out to be "the worst characters in the series" with an agenda to emasculate Cabba. I'm not even making any of this up, by the way. But again, gonna need to see Xenoverse 3 announced first, and Kakarot is probably pulling all the resources there.
9: Gonna need to see it announced first.

The thought occurred to me that these delays— of Dragon Ball Super's return, Xenoverse 3, FighterZ's second storyline, etc.— aren't because Toei is planning some big and going to create a total blowout of a year. It's because they're dropping the ball. I've shown before just how unprofitable Dragon Ball was as recently as 2012. Back between 2009-2012, Dragon Ball was pretty much a dead franchise only lingering around because of nostalgia and reruns, because the game sales were tanking and Dragon Ball Kai had failed to light the world on fire like Dragon Ball Z did.
In the span of just a few years, that all turned around, and Dragon Ball is now bringing in a billion dollars a year between things like the Xenoverse series, Dokkan Battle, Super: Broly, other merchandise sales, etc. And that all happened in the past 3 years or so.
But it's possible that the Toei higher ups had absolutely no plans for Dragon Ball and this runaway success took them by surprise. Now that they have a franchise that's literally giving One Piece a run for its money and has shown it can bring out global blockbusters, they're probably realizing they needed more time to figure these things out.

Dragon Ball Super's return to TV might not have been planned to happen. It's very likely that Toei only planned about 130+ episodes as a sort of momentary update to the lore, like how other anime do it with a new series every decade.
But now that they see there's something here, they want to try it again but also want to avoid the mistakes they made the first time around where they rushed a new series to air. That, or maybe they're waiting for the manga to have a substantial back log of material they can use rather than relying on Toriyama's terrifyingly sparse notes that wound up creating loads of anime-manga inconsistencies.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:08 pm

Let's see how I'm doing half-way through...
Red = NOPE
Orange = Unconfirmed
Green = YEP
Italicised bold = notes
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:10 pm Let's throw out some ones for this year, and see how I do...
  • No Dragon Ball Full Color volumes from Viz in 2019. Would have been announced already.
  • Funimation will have an amazing cameo in their dub of the movie. Not one that I'm aware of.
  • Ocean Kai gets a lot of bile thrown at it online, but is generally a solid piece of dubbing with loads of great performances, and many new fan-favourite voices, particularly Richard Ian Cox's Goku. Hasn't aired yet.
  • Bulma has a reduced presence in the movie and Super for a while. Bulma hasn't been in the manga a whole ton, so this may turn out to be partially true. Though the intent of the prediction has not been fulfilled, neither has the more emphasised half.
  • Super is made known to be running into 2020, possibly beyond.
  • A short spin-off manga that isn't Heroes runs at some point in 2019.
  • Because the manga doesn't stop running, and because of both filler and its generally slow pace, the anime of Super stays behind the manga throughout the story arc the manga is currently telling. Even if the anime starts up next month out of no-where, the manga will almost certainly finish this story arc first.
  • Toei announce a Blu-Ray release of the original three TV anime. Since it's the 30th anniversary of Z, and Z is the most marketable, that will release first, followed by DB and GT. Would have been announced already.
  • Funimation won't import the HD releases of DB, Z, or GT in 2019. They might do the movies, but the series -- definitely not. N/A
  • The UK still doesn't air any Dragon Ball, and a revived Toonami UK remains a pipe dream. POP TV has picked up Super.
  • Bang Zoom's Super dub does not continue on.
  • Funimation import the Toei movie masters, and the only audio tracks included are: Japanese audio from optical, Funi dub with Kikuchi score in 5.1 using new mixes but the exact same dialogue contents as the Funi BDs, and -- where applicable -- Funi dub with US score using the same stereo mix as the Funi BDs.
I got about a third right... (If you don't count the unconfirmed)

I kinda hope Super doesn't return to TV until next year, give them loads of time to figure their shit out and get it together. Hopefully with Shintani on board, and with the manga left to have a substantial lead to make the writing/planning less hectic, and hopefully to allow for better pacing.

In fact, y'know what... Screw it, official extra prediction from me at this point half-way through the year:
  • Super doesn't return to TV in 2019.
  • Shintani is announced as on-board if we get an announcement this year.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:21 am

Time for the mid-year review:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm1. The return of Dragon Ball Super will be announced in January for a July release
I was thinking it would be announced while Broly was playing to keep the momentum going, as of now I'm expecting to be wrong about Super returning this year at all, but we'll see for sure once SDCC comes and goes.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm2. Super will resume with a retelling of the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc and Broly arcs in that order to give Toriyama more time to write notes for another new story arc
Not confirmed yet, but I do still see a short Broly retelling (so 12-14 episodes) and Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc in motion in Super 2.0.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm3. Towards the end of the year we will get an announcement for a new original Super anime arc, where we will see Goku exploring his heritage and feature the return/resurrection of Bardock because the editorial room told Toriyama he was a popular character
Not confirmed, but since Super appears to be returning later than expected I don't see us getting through the second arc, which I think will be Moro, at most, and even if Broly is skipped the Moro arc will likely be longer than the Beerus and Golden Freeza arcs, so I don't see another story arc being announced.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm4. The Super manga will cover the new arc that will be announced towards the end of the year
Not confirmed but it could still happen.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm5. We will get a new spinoff manga, which will star a popular character other than Goku and Vegeta
Nothing announced yet, but I wouldn't put it past Shueisha and the Dragon Ball room.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm6. TOEI will announce the long awaited domestic Dragon Ball Z Blu-Ray release, which like the movies will be an inconsistent mess with some arcs looking the best they’ve ever looked and others being a DNR mess leading fans to complain online and selectively purchase the volumes they like. These Blu-Ray sets will have 40-50 episodes each, cost around $100 a pop and feature Yamamuro character designs on the cover art and cards
Probably not going to happen now, or anytime in the near future unless TOEI is taken over by new management that aren't cheapskates. Ah well, maybe I'll be able to save up some money for now, and I prefer Kai for the most part so I can wait on Z. Far more important OG Dragon Ball and GT get Blu-Ray releases, which is unfortunately also unlikely now :(
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm7. Marni Shulman won’t be allowed to reveal the cast for Ocean Kai on Twitter, despite this she promises it will be the Ocean dub, and we will still get an announcement for Kai to air on Wow TV’s debut in April 1st. This will lead many fans to call April Fools on Kai’s Canadian debut featuring the Ocean cast… until it airs on that day and videos are posted online to confirm that the Ocean dub has finally begun
It would have been funny had that happened. Not sure what to think about Ocean Kai now, it feels like a pipe dream after all this time, hopefully Wow TV will get going soon.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm8. We will get at least one more surprise casting for the Super dub, which will be the voice of another popular anime character
Not yet, but it could still happen.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm9. Funimation, Madman and Manga UK will all release 3 new parts for Super in addition to Broly. Manga UK will have another completely different cover art for 1 or 2 of the series parts
Nearly right, Madman still has to announce Part 8 but with the Christmas market being a thing I'd say it's most likely they will reach that target. Super (no pun intended) happy Manga UK just announced Parts 7 and 8 and in a short space of time between each other.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm10. Funimation still won’t announce a Super “Season 1” Blu-Ray, the fans who have been anticipating it will give up and import Madman’s collected sets
I stand by this, really feel like Funimation won't be releasing Season sets until they have squeezed every last cent into the Parts, maybe after Super has been released in full and if it turns out we won't be seeing the series return until 2021.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm11. Funimation will announce a Collector’s Edition Blu-Ray for Broly, which will include the older three Broly movies with fancy packaging, art cards and not be in a standard Blu-Ray case. Manga UK’s Collector’s Edition will be the same as the standard edition, but with holographic cover art and include the art cards
Nope for Funimation, I was half right about Manga UK. Holographic cards would have been nice, but the stickers were something at least.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm12. Manga UK will release their version of Rock the Dragon towards the end of the year. This set which will be in standard DVD cases with slipcovers will repackage Madman’s old singles to avoid the NTSC to PAL conversion, but it will be worth buying for many as it will include the uncut dubs of the Pioneer movies
Still a bit to go before the year's out. Part of me is starting to think Manga UK aren't interested in releasing Rock the Dragon, although Jerome told me it hasn't been sorted yet, either that or Funimation doesn't want other companies to profit from that dub, hence making the original Rock the Dragon regions 2 and 4 and Madman not releasing it. Interestingly Manga U is now owned by Funimation, if they start releasing a lot of titles without PAL equivalents (which should be easier now) I'll start getting more optimistic for Rock the Dragon again, but we'll see.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm13. Dragon Ball Fighterz Season 2 is announced for release sometime in the second half of the year
This came earlier than expected.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm14. Broly will become the highest grossing Dragon Ball film to date with a whopping $68 million worldwide
Right on it becoming the highest grossing film in the franchise, but final box office total was way higher. Delighted with what it made though, just incredible for a movie with a limited release and was more niche than most animated features.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: