Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by coola » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:28 am

Remove it please.
Last edited by coola on Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:43 am

Gaffer Tape wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:21 am
Tai Lung wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:51 am jiren is like ivan drago really but it is story a bit old with the current time but if it fulfills its function
I'm afraid I can't quite see that comparison. While they are both rather empty shells, at least Ivan Drago is actually intimidating. At least Ivan Drago, in killing Apollo, actually does something to emotionally affect the hero and the audience.
This, plus in Creed II, he's shown to have dimension.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:06 am

Nokra wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:53 pm Its hard to find a show dark or even serious when there are 3 sets of dragonballs, each more powerful than the last just waiting around to be used. The History Of Trunks special was the only exception where the show was dark and there was tension/consequences because the dragonballs were gone and namek was out of reach.
I'd say GT also got pretty dark when the Earth was about to blow up with no plot device to over rule that decision

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:13 am

coola wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:28 am If that Tree of Might Super Movie is true, then they really are out of ideas and in my opinion we can forget about "Super Safe" going to End of Z part, let alone past it for a very long time, if ever.
What are u talking about?

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:15 am

Tai Lung wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:51 am
Block88 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:31 pm
Gaffer Tape wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:00 pm

See, Geran never even felt terribly threatening to me. The show seemed to think that just the fact that he existed was threatening. However, the situation itself never makes good on that. He literally sits on ass for awhile. Towards the end game he is constantly outnumbered. In any other situation, that would still be threatening, as his overwhelming strength would outmatch their superior numbers. However, the tournament format means that everything revolves around team numbers and time. So the fact that Universe 7 always has superior numbers and are therefore always winning dilutes the tension. The fact that nobody in Geran's universe acts with any urgency further dilutes the tension, culminating in the most ridiculous action possible: Vermoud wasting time by expositing Geran's backstory. All Universe 7 really has to do is run out the clock. Geran's overwhelming strength and ability to take down practically anybody else should have made him terrifying, an unstoppable Terminator picking people off one by one. But since he can't be bothered to give a shit, he really doesn't elicit any kind of strong reaction.
That’s on toei awful writing overall in the TOP than just with jiren.

Realistically jiren should’ve flex half of the contestants off the arena but they had to stall to showcase the other fighters in the tourney even though most of them were trash in the end.

Even excluding that most of the universe should’ve focused on getting rid of him first than fighting goku and u7.
that would only apply to the manga because in the anime many characters had skills or power to defeat jiren (tired) as in the end they did frieza and goku
the problem is that if you compare to jiren that only has power with other characters who had skills or secret mergers is one of the most basic
the point of making the friends and enemies of goku necessary to win in the end does not bother me even though many want to see it as trite I really think it is more interesting if we see it from the point of view of the growth of goku against part of Jiren that was formed as someone who should be invincible
jiren is like ivan drago really but it is story a bit old with the current time but if it fulfills its function
Meh I agree on some points

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:15 am

Both the super manga and anime are painfully mediocre.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:19 am

Block88 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:13 am
coola wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:28 am If that Tree of Might Super Movie is true, then they really are out of ideas and in my opinion we can forget about "Super Safe" going to End of Z part, let alone past it for a very long time, if ever.
Sorry, i ve watched one of movies on Youtube, and i somehow missed it was just speculation :)
Last edited by coola on Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:20 am

coola wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:19 am
Block88 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:13 am
Sorry, i vve watched one of movies on Youtube, and i somehow missed it was just speculation :)
Ah okay

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:54 am

Block88 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:15 am Both the super manga and anime are painfully mediocre.
i have tried to avoid most super stuff just because i have no interest, but isn't this like a common sentiment ? it seems like the overall consensus on super is "eh".
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:01 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:54 am
Block88 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:15 am Both the super manga and anime are painfully mediocre.
i have tried to avoid most super stuff just because i have no interest, but isn't this like a common sentiment ? it seems like the overall consensus on super is "eh".

Super seems incredibly polarizing. I’ve seen a lot of people outside of Kanzenshuu who love it. Then there are those who hate it and those who are just lukewarm.

It’s easily the most divisive Dragon Ball series to be honest.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:06 am

yeah i guess i've mainly just seen people say it's ok or that it has a lot of good stuff but also a bunch of crap so they think it's just alright overall.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:08 am

The problem is that it plays things way too safe and won't get out of Z's nostalgic shadow.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:11 am

sintzu wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:08 am
The problem is that it plays things way too safe and won't get out of Z's nostalgic shadow.

It seems way more slice of life than Z.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:27 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:11 amIt seems way more slice of life than Z.
There's that as well. I do hope that 2uper will be able to change things up and move away from the Z image Super 0.1 was stuck with.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:30 am

I find Super to be more of a fun series than one with a great, compelling story. I'd like it to have some of the latter, but its still one hell of a ride when you don't take it to seriously and just want to be entertained.

Hard to say what we will get from 2uper. I think there's a good chance it will have better animation on a more consistent basis as I'm sure TOEI is no doubt aware of the backlash the original Super got, particularly in episode 5. In terms of story, I'll wait till we hear what future arcs will be about as that will be the make or break point. Hoping we'll at least get a Moro adaptation.

While on the subject, rewatching it in the dub has reminded me the Tournament of Power is the second most boring arc next to Black Star Dragon Balls. Just a chore to sit through.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:52 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:30 am . I think there's a good chance it will have better animation on a more consistent basis as I'm sure TOEI is no doubt aware of the backlash the original Super got, particularly in episode 5. In terms of story, I'll wait till we hear what future arcs will be about as that will be the make or break point. Hoping we'll at least get a Moro adaptation.
TOEI also knows they have no reason to give a shit about how it looks because people will still buy and consume the product out of some desire for brand loyalty.

I guarantee the majority of people who criticized Super’s animation watched most or all of the series and probably a lot of them bought the merchandise too.

TOEI gets your money either way.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:58 pm

oh jeez the episode 5 controversy and the stuff with yanami being sick, that was not the greatest way too start off a new series.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:04 pm

The animation was god awful, but it was a single episode. If brand loyalty is the reason people keep watching, it's not to TOEI, it's to DB.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:48 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:04 pm The animation was god awful, but it was a single episode. If brand loyalty is the reason people keep watching, it's not to TOEI, it's to DB.
Well yeah it’s brand loyalty to Dragon Ball but as Toei produces it they get the money

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:09 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:48 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:04 pm The animation was god awful, but it was a single episode. If brand loyalty is the reason people keep watching, it's not to TOEI, it's to DB.
Well yeah it’s brand loyalty to Dragon Ball but as Toei produces it they get the money
But to knock it as brand loyalty seems awfully condescending. People are loyal to brands because they like what they have or had to offer.