Does anyone ever actually watch the Z dub with the Kikuchi score?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Does anyone ever actually watch the Z dub with the Kikuchi score?

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:01 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:42 am
ZodaEX wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:48 am
No, the Japanese version is more unwatchable because of the super low sound quality.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1zjyTM7rbJs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq4EOPRbjqc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LTDlQNRJOts

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnriaELk_pw

Yes, clearly this is so much more watchable than the Japanese version.
The poster was talking about sound quality, not acting and writing quality. Also, the third clip is from an outdated version that isn't on the bricks or Blu-Rays.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:11 am

Valerius Dover wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:01 am
No, the Japanese version is more unwatchable because of the super low sound quality.

The poster was talking about sound quality, not acting and writing quality. Also, the third clip is from an outdated version that isn't on the bricks or Blu-Rays.

Taking about watchability though, correct? Is low sound really worse than bad acting, music, and writing? I’ll take the Japanese mono over..that.

And there really isn’t that much difference between “the outdated version” and the remastered version. Just some actors rerecording their dialog using pretty much the exact same script. And Schemmel never bothered. So anything with him is the same.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:08 pm

Outdated, you say? Funimation's Z dub of 68-291 is bad no matter how you slice it, but if I had to choose between the two I'd choose the original over the remastered. The redub being only partial only serves to make the bad acting more conspicuous, not to mention the alternate takes and missing audio effects. Basically, the remastered dub is half baked IMO.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:39 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:08 pm
Outdated, you say? Funimation's Z dub of 68-291 is bad no matter how you slice it, but if I had to choose between the two I'd choose the original over the remastered. The redub being only partial only serves to make the bad acting more conspicuous, not to mention the alternate takes and missing audio effects. Basically, the remastered dub is half baked IMO.
A valid point if the clip in question wasn't from Episode 67. :wink:
Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about which music you prefer while watching the dub on the remastered releases. If you don't like the dub at all, this probably ain't the thread for you.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:19 pm

Yeah, you're right. Again, if I have to watch the dub, it would be the original versions (with the possible exception of UUC 1-67... maybe also remastered 68-70 for convenience... unless the Funi and/or Madman Captain Ginyu Assault single has per episode chapter selects... in which case the convenience would be limited to ep 68). That means that starting with 67b (original)/68 (remastered), you'd be going with the Faulconer score.

I may or may not have made this point before on this thread, but the old Z dub was never meant to go with Kikuchi. If you're going to watch the original dub, you might as well watch it as close to originally intended as possible, otherwise you get into "two wrongs don't make a right" territory.

Then again, if the Remastered dub with Kikuchi is your favorite method of seeing the series, go for it. I may not agree with your choice, but my opinion is one of many.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:28 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:19 pm .

I may or may not have made this point before on this thread, but the old Z dub was never meant to go with Kikuchi. If you're going to watch the original dub, you might as well watch it as close to originally intended as possible, otherwise you get into "two wrongs don't make a right" territory.

Then again, if the Remastered dub with Kikuchi is your favorite method of seeing the series, go for it. I may not agree with your choice, but my opinion is one of many.

I can’t stand 98 percent of the Faulconer music.

I don’t agree with the “Kikuchi music doesn’t go with the Z dub” mentality. No matter what you’re watching there’s shoddy acting and horribad dialog. Bad music doesn’t cancel it out if anything it accentuates the situation because you have musical sodomy on top of everything else. Obviously the Kikuchi music doesn’t fix the acting or the dialog but it does make for a more tolerable experience.

If I ever bother to revisit the Funi Z dub for more than the odd episode here and there for reference it will be with the Kikuchi score. It’s more pleasant to ears and it ties in with it being a proper sequel to DB

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:48 pm

Some people don't have a choice. As far as I know, the only legal streaming of Funimation's Z dub, includes the Kikuchi score. Furthermore, if you have the Dragon Boxes and prefer to watch that because of the video quality, it really narrows down your options.

Personally, I prefer the Kikuchi score for "Ultimate Uncut" because that BGM they used in the redub was awful. On the other hand, if I find myself watching Funimation's dub post Goku's arrival on Namek, I prefer to listen to the Faulconer soundtrack because if I'm feeling nostalgic, might as well complete the package. To take it even further, if I'm in that nostalgic mood, I really prefer watching the singles with original bad voice acting than the 2007 re-dub to really seal in that 1999 feel.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:42 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:48 pm On the other hand, if I find myself watching Funimation's dub post Goku's arrival on Namek, I prefer to listen to the Faulconer soundtrack because if I'm feeling nostalgic, might as well complete the package. To take it even further, if I'm in that nostalgic mood, I really prefer watching the singles with original bad voice acting than the 2007 re-dub to really seal in that 1999 feel.

If people are going for the nostalgia then yeah might as well go all the way and watch the dvd singles.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:37 pm

I'm always amazed by the amount of people who prefer the original 1996-2003 dub to the remastered dub. It just makes the 30th anniversary home release feel that much more unnecessary as they had a perfectly viable market Funimation could have gone for if they weren't making a release for the purists.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:00 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:37 pm I'm always amazed by the amount of people who prefer the original 1996-2003 dub to the remastered dub.
Probably because the remastered dub is in and of itself super half ass as to render it to “why even fucking bother” territory?

What good is it for Chris Sabat to re-record his Vegeta dialog to sound closer to his Ultimate Uncut take and less poor man’s Brian Drummond when he’s going to stop after Garlic Jr and thus we’re still hearing his poor man’s Brian Drummond take by the Android saga making the whole thing moot. He also doesn’t bother with his other characters so Piccolo goes from sounding pretty decent to god awful by season 3

We also have Nadolny only re recording her season 3 dialog up until like episode 79 which is a random time for Gohan to go from sounding like Goku as a kid to sounding like a chain smoker. Apparently Gohan sounding like he got hooked on namekian cigarettes would be too awkward in the middle of the Ginyu battle but not in the middle of fighting second form Frieza?

They apparently fixed some of the juvenile dialog “any last words before you go the way of the dodo?” but still keep 98 percent of it

They never bothered to fix the fuckton of mistakes and errors they made: See Emperor Chaotzu, Goku crossing paths with the Red Ribbon army because he was going after the dragon balls to test his skills, General Tao “the heart of the red ribbon army” , Goku and Tien’s match being declared a draw, Goku marrying Chi chi before the 23rd tournament etc etc
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:03 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:37 pm I'm always amazed by the amount of people who prefer the original 1996-2003 dub to the remastered dub. It just makes the 30th anniversary home release feel that much more unnecessary as they had a perfectly viable market Funimation could have gone for if they weren't making a release for the purists.
As far as the dub with the Ocean voice cast is concerned, FUNimation did do a DVD re-release for that six years ago. As for the non-remastered version of the in-house dub, I’m guessing they’re either too embarrassed by it, or they just don’t feel like going through the trouble of including it.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:14 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:00 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:37 pm I'm always amazed by the amount of people who prefer the original 1996-2003 dub to the remastered dub.
Probably because the remastered dub is in and of itself super half ass as to render it to “why even fucking bother” territory?

What good is it for Chris Sabat to re-record his Vegeta dialog to sound closer to his Ultimate Uncut take and less poor man’s Brian Drummond when he’s going to stop after Garlic Jr and thus we’re still hearing his poor man’s Brian Drummond take by the Android saga making the whole thing moot. He also doesn’t bother with his other characters so Piccolo goes from sounding pretty decent to god awful by season 3

We also have Nadolny only re recording her season 3 dialog up until like episode 79 which is a random time for Gohan to go from sounding like Goku as a kid to sounding like a chain smoker. Apparently Gohan sounding like he got hooked on namekian cigarettes would be too awkward in the middle of the Ginyu battle but not in the middle of fighting second form Frieza?

They apparently fixed some of the juvenile dialog “any last words before you go the way of the dodo?” but still keep 98 percent of it

They never bothered to fix the fuckton of mistakes and errors they made: See Emperor Chaotzu, Goku crossing paths with the Red Ribbon army because he was going after the dragon balls to test his skills, General Tao “the heart of the red ribbon army” , Goku and Tien’s match being declared a draw, Goku marrying Chi chi before the 23rd tournament etc etc
Yeah the 2005 Ulitmate Uncut/2007 Orange Brick re dub definitely feels like a half baked effort in pretty much every way, because for the small handful of things they changed and corrected from the old dub there was still a crap ton that was missed like some of the worst jokes and inaccurate dialogue compared to the Japanese version. It makes me wish sometimes that they had just gone all the way including accurate scripts and the whole nine yards, instead of cheaply re using the heavily altered ones from back in 1996. I no doubt get that the cast were and are embarrassed by their earliest work but even then the re dub only partially addressed some things that were heavily criticized about the original 1999-2003 Z dub. Given how they went about doing it you wonder why even bother with making this effort if they aren't going to be consistent and start over from the ground up.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:34 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:03 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:37 pm I'm always amazed by the amount of people who prefer the original 1996-2003 dub to the remastered dub. It just makes the 30th anniversary home release feel that much more unnecessary as they had a perfectly viable market Funimation could have gone for if they weren't making a release for the purists.
As far as the dub with the Ocean voice cast is concerned, FUNimation did do a DVD re-release for that six years ago. As for the non-remastered version of the in-house dub, I’m guessing they’re either too embarrassed by it, or they just don’t feel like going through the trouble of including it.
I'm aware of the Rock the Dragon set (as my signature implies). My point is that the 30th anniversary set clearly isn't catering to those who want a definitive release of the series as it doesn't please either the sub fans or dub fans who want to own the show they grew up on, so efforts would be better spent serving the latter as there seems to be greater demand for that. Kikuchi or not the remastered dub is not the ideal dub for those who grew up watching the show on Toonami, and all Funimation is achieving by continuing to use it is having an audio track that can sync up with the Japanese track, and as I said the 30th anniversary release isn't ideal for fans of that either.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:06 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:34 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:03 pm
I'm aware of the Rock the Dragon set (as my signature implies). My point is that the 30th anniversary set clearly isn't catering to those who want a definitive release of the series as it doesn't please either the sub fans or dub fans who want to own the show they grew up on, so efforts would be better spent serving the latter as there seems to be greater demand for that. Kikuchi or not the remastered dub is not the ideal dub for those who grew up watching the show on Toonami, and all Funimation is achieving by continuing to use it is having an audio track that can sync up with the Japanese track, and as I said the 30th anniversary release isn't ideal for fans of that either.
Ehh from what I can tell your average Toonami nostalgia fan can barely tell the difference between the orange brick and what aired on toonami. Give them their Faulconer, their Schemmel, their Sabat, their nadolny, their Young, their Vollmer etc etc blah blah and they’re happy.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:47 pm

I am a fan of watching the anime dubbed in english, with the original score.

I´m just not that into japanese voices and dialogue, but I honestly dislike the american score.