Dragon Ball Super To Air in the UK on Pop!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super To Air in the UK on Pop!

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:33 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:49 am Raditz never killed the farmer in the anime. Only in the manga.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ASsnohpnCI
I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be dead. Perhaps you're thinking of the Saban dub, where they had him talk to make it seem like he was alive.

Anyway the part where Raditz flicks the bullet at him and knocks him down was removed completely from the Kix broadcast, but was fully intact for the Nicktoons US broadcast. As far as I'm aware that was the only example of Kix removing violence.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:37 pm

It will probably be more strictly censored, as Kix's age demographic was 7-12 and Pop's is 4-9. It is slightly weird that they're not putting it on Pop Max.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:46 pm

They aired Voltron just fine and that show was quite violent and dark.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:28 am

Super will start on Pop 1st July @ 7pm, weeknights.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:25 pm

I'm home from my early shifts in time for the 7pm timeslot, so I'm definitely going to catch the Pop broadcast when I can to do my part for the ratings. Setting any I miss to be recorded as it will be interesting to see the edited dub.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:54 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:25 pm I'm home from my early shifts in time for the 7pm timeslot, so I'm definitely going to catch the Pop broadcast when I can to do my part for the ratings. Setting any I miss to be recorded as it will be interesting to see the edited dub.
Yeah I'll be watching tonight too, and will also record those that I miss. I had a quick look through the Sky EPG and I think they might be doing reruns at weekends, although I can't remember for sure.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:51 am

Could y'all do us a favor and confirm if it's the edited dub that they're airing please?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:55 am

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:54 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:25 pm I'm home from my early shifts in time for the 7pm timeslot, so I'm definitely going to catch the Pop broadcast when I can to do my part for the ratings. Setting any I miss to be recorded as it will be interesting to see the edited dub.
Yeah I'll be watching tonight too, and will also record those that I miss. I had a quick look through the Sky EPG and I think they might be doing reruns at weekends, although I can't remember for sure.
It's airing weeknights at 7pm, and they are repeating 4 of the episodes over the weekend - 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday, both evenings starting at 8.30pm.

MarioSonicU

Post by MarioSonicU » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:59 am

superfan2024 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:51 am Could y'all do us a favor and confirm if it's the edited dub that they're airing please?
I kinda have a feeling it might be edited (though it's edited in dialogue and not footage), since Pop UK is a kids channel after all.

MarioSonicU

Post by MarioSonicU » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:03 am

MarioSonicU wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:59 am
superfan2024 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:51 am Could y'all do us a favor and confirm if it's the edited dub that they're airing please?
I kinda have a feeling it might be edited (though it's edited in dialogue and not footage), since Pop UK is a kids channel after all.
Oh and for those who have UK IPTV, The show will air at 2:00pm Eastern/1:00pm Central/ 11:00am Pacific here in North America

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:25 am

Another excuse to watch the superior version of the BoG story!

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm

Just finished watching episode 1 and really enjoyed it. :)

As someone else mentioned, it's edited in dialogue only, so you still see the sign for "Satan City". Aside from that, I only really noticed Roshi's Blu-ray joke being about movies in general rather than dirty movies. Stuff like Trunks beating up the snake was left untouched, so that's encouraging.

And the opening was obviously shortened a little. Interestingly it had SSB Goku instead of SSG in the part where the form flashes over him, so it must be opening 2 instead of 1. I was also surprised they left in the eyecatches, as all previous UK broadcasts of DB/Z/GT and Kai removed them, likely for commercial time. And there was another cool promo during the adverts. All in all I'm very happy that this will serve as an introduction for a new generation of UK fans, while also pleasing us old ones. I'll definitely keep watching it live when I can, and will record it on my Sky box when I can't.

19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:53 pm

Can I sig that? That's just too precious.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:55 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:53 pm Can I sig that? That's just too precious.
Absolutely! :thumbup:

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:28 pm

That was better than I thought it would be, I don't think anything footage wise was edited, so that was good. For the opening they edited out the "punch and kick" lyrics. Good stuff.

madged1

Post by madged1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:00 pm

I've skimmed through the Pop airing as I was curious myself, and from what I've seen it looks great! Hopefully Super will do well ratings-wise over here; I'd like to think that a 7pm timeslot will draw in the channel's target audience (and beyond, of course :)).

I'm just happy to see Dragon Ball back in the UK following Kai 1.0's end quite a few years ago. If it does well, perhaps we'll get airings of films/specials or the older series later on.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:36 pm

Yeah the episode was as good as I thought it would be, I know Sabat said he was hoping they'd never use the edited dub but I never thought that was because it was terrible, moreso because Toonami, which was the only channel to air Funi Super at that time picked up the uncut version so why settle for less. And Kai's edited dub was fine, so it's just a sign of the times were living in.

Only noticed a few words being changed here and there but its by and large as accurate to the Japanese version as the uncut dubbed episode. I like that Roshi's Blu-Ray joke was intentionally vague as it could mean any kind of movies, definitely better than the gambling debts line in the Bang Zoom dub.

I do hope Super does well for Pop and brings in plenty of new fans for years to come.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:14 pm

I looooooooooove Pop! Its one of the highest rated children's channels in the UK so its awesome exposure for the show. I'm glad that so far its lightly edited.

MarioSonicU

Post by MarioSonicU » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:34 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm And the opening was obviously shortened a little. Interestingly it had SSB Goku instead of SSG in the part where the form flashes over him, so it must be opening 2 instead of 1.
I noticed that POP used the shortened OP that Adult Swim US/Toonami used for the series.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:53 pm

MarioSonicU wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:34 pmI noticed that POP used the shortened OP that Adult Swim US/Toonami used for the series.
It's actually a different edit, despite being cut down to the same length. The music cut is slightly more smooth in the Pop version and the visual cuts match the soundtrack, which means that Pop looses the arc-specific animation but the opening's pacing fits the music better.
Nice that the ending theme is played in full, without even a continuity announcement talking over it, and as we use the same ad format as Japan the eye-catchers are used as intended. Not surprisingly, the NEPs are cut.