"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:09 am

I must say guys, i am beyond impressed by Kefla’s voice actor! Her voice was awesome and definitely a pleasure to listen to! She reminded me a lot of Gotenks from back in the Buu saga with that voice. Which gave me some goozebumps and nostalgia. Good times.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:03 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:09 am I must say guys, i am beyond impressed by Kefla’s voice actor! Her voice was awesome and definitely a pleasure to listen to! She reminded me a lot of Gotenks from back in the Buu saga with that voice. Which gave me some goozebumps and nostalgia. Good times.
It was 2 of them, y'know.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:39 am

FUNimation have a term AND STICK WITH IT FFS! Autonomous or not I don't give a shit but I do when you flip flop between the terms! Like damn man.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:39 am FUNimation have a term AND STICK WITH IT FFS! Autonomous or not I don't give a shit but I do when you flip flop between the terms! Like damn man.
They usually just use autonomous when it's need for the lip flaps.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:58 pm

Funimation Finally Premiered Episode 117 from Funimation tonight and for me it is still a heart-wrenching episode to watch, makes me Very Sad seeing My Girl Ribrianne/Brianne ringed-out and all the passion her character gave ending here. It is still after 20 years of being a DB Fan from me the Saddest moment in DB from me personally. :cry: :cry: :cry:

However with that said, Veronica Taylor did No Less then a Heavenly Job in both Ribrianne and espically Brianne's Moment in these episodes!
I just can't get over how amazed I am with the voice-work she has done with her as well as All the Cast of Universe 2 Funimation has chosen. Veronica Taylor brings a Starlet and Heartwarming style to her character and it is a MAJOR & TRULY an Honor as a fan of Brianne and Ribrianne to have had the Honor of Veronica Taylor playing Brianne and Ribrianne's Voice! :thumbup: :clap:

I am greatly Looking forward to Episode 118, a Golden Episode for Brianne's character IMO and what work she will do on it!

I am hoping form Brianne and Ribrianne's continued use in Future Super Series and Projects and I Greatly Hope Veronica Taylor stays on as her Voice! :angel:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:56 am

I'm really enjoying the addition of Veronica Taylor, but overall the dub is just reminding me how much this arc drags. Far longer and padded out than it needed to be.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:21 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:56 am I'm really enjoying the addition of Veronica Taylor, but overall the dub is just reminding me how much this arc drags. Far longer and padded out than it needed to be.
50 episodes for a plot that could easily be half that length, so no surprise there.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:42 am

Yeah there are definitely episodes and parts you could cut out. Ie I really like this episode but all the parts with the male universe 2 fighters was essentially pointless (they kept talking about fighting Goku and never did it this episode) and took up a bit of the episode.

VAs killed it this episode, especially 18's final blow on Ribrianne. Never heard so much emotion from McCoy. So glad they went back to her for Super.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:46 am

nato25 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:42 amYeah there are definitely episodes and parts you could cut out.
You can cut out the majority of recruitment episodes and half the tournament.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:23 pm

sintzu wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:46 am
nato25 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:42 amYeah there are definitely episodes and parts you could cut out.
I honestly don’t mind the concept of the recruitment episodes

I just wish some were written better

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:28 pm

AzuraRacon wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:23 pm
sintzu wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:46 am
I honestly don’t mind the concept of the recruitment episodes

I just wish some were written better
I honestly think the recruitment episodes would have served a better purpose if they didn't spoil who was going to take up 90% of Team Universe 7 before the arc even started.

In terms of cutting content, I'd say episodes 77 - 82, 86, 91 - 95, 97, 100 - 103, 105, 109 - 111, 114 - 119, 121, 127 - 131 are the only episodes that carry any kind of narrative and thematic weight to them in the arc. Every other episode could have been outright cut or majorly trimmed down.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:51 pm

Imagine if this arc were a movie instead of an arc. It might move at the speed of sound to rival Sonic the Hedgehog, but it'd be better in terms of the pace & what to focus on.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:51 pm Imagine if this arc were a movie instead of an arc. It might move at the speed of sound to rival Sonic the Hedgehog, but it'd be better in terms of the pace & what to focus on.
Toyotaro tried to do this with his take on the Universal Survival arc in the manga. But ironically, it suffered from arguably worse pacing issues than the anime did because it blitzed through the story and character beats so quickly that barely anything was fleshed out. And most of the stuff that was focused on didn't receive any kind of satisfying conclusion because Toyotaro prioritised in getting the story finished as quick as possible.

An arc like the Universe Survival arc is too big in scale to condense into a single movie. It works better as a story arc because it give the narrative more time to breath. But that arc shouldn't have lasted over 50 episodes in the anime. 30 episodes is how long that arc should have lasted and even that is kinda pushing it in terms of pacing.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:58 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:00 pm
Scsigs wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:51 pm Imagine if this arc were a movie instead of an arc. It might move at the speed of sound to rival Sonic the Hedgehog, but it'd be better in terms of the pace & what to focus on.
Toyotaro tried to do this with his take on the Universal Survival arc in the manga. But ironically, it suffered from arguably worse pacing issues than the anime did because it blitzed through the story and character beats so quickly that barely anything was fleshed out. And most of the stuff that was focused on didn't receive any kind of satisfying conclusion because Toyotaro prioritised in getting the story finished as quick as possible.

An arc like the Universe Survival arc is too big in scale to condense into a single movie. It works better as a story arc because it give the narrative more time to breath. But that arc shouldn't have lasted over 50 episodes in the anime. 30 episodes is how long that arc should have lasted and even that is kinda pushing it in terms of pacing.
This too is a good way to look at it. I'd also argue that if they wanted the entire 50 episodes to matter, then they should've fleshed more things out initially & added true stakes or had some interaction between the universes or something like the previous tournament arcs. Super always has pacing issues, so this would've added some ways for them to use the 50 episodes better.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:49 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:00 pm

I think the arc should've just had 4 universes instead of 8 as each one would've been better utilized that way.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:20 pm

The Tournament of Power arc should have had 5/10 fewer episodes, because as you people said it was really tedious, especially the Recruitment phase. In exchange the Future Trunks arc could have had more episodes to flesh-out more the Super Saiyan Rage, Black's scythe and sky rift, the Genkidama Spirit Sword, Zamasu merging with the cosmos, etc. That would have been perfect in my opinion.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:49 pm

And With the Airing of Episode 118, IMO the Gold Standard Episode for All Episodes, that spells the end My Run of the Major Caring moments for me in the ToP arc and Super in General! :lol: :clap:

I will catch the others indeed when I can or if I am home, but the major moments have been put in the History Dub Books.

I Greatly Thanks the Casting FUNimation Did for Universe 2, like many other characters they hit the persona's right and they where fun to Hear. I like hearing that they gave Zarbuto a Russian Accent, Zirloin had a Strong Nobility to his voice and Rabanra was straight on what I thought his voice would sound like, can't put my finger on the right words for his style but it worked well.

Also IMO this is one of DB's Greatest Episodes, Veronica Taylor Brought the Heart, showing Leadership to Brianne's Character in what I feel was her Character's finest Moment of the Whole arc, the Rallying of Universe 2's people and the Rallying of Power for Zarbuto, Zirloin and Rabanra and Veronica Taylor Nailed Brianne's sad but Stern Rallying Love so Well, it was such an Honor having her voice Brianne/Ribrianne! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Also I Really liked the Add On Dialogue they Gave to the U6 Namekins. It Really Added Allot of Weight to the Sacrifice the Namekin People gave in order to win the ToP, Props to Funimation for a Well Done Job with the U6 Namekins, shows why Namekins are my Favorite of the Alien Races of the DB Mythos beside the Humans of Universe 2! :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:30 am

Hmmm, for episodes 94/95 (I didn't check the rest), Christopher Ayres redubbed Frieza, but only on Funimations streaming service. Its still Daman Mills on the blu-ray.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:23 am

DHM211 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:30 am Hmmm, for episodes 94/95 (I didn't check the rest), Christopher Ayres redubbed Frieza, but only on Funimations streaming service. Its still Daman Mills on the blu-ray.
Is there a chance they could use the Ayres dub on the collection sets whenever those release ?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:27 pm

sintzu wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:23 am
DHM211 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:30 am Hmmm, for episodes 94/95 (I didn't check the rest), Christopher Ayres redubbed Frieza, but only on Funimation's streaming service. Its still Daman Mills on the blu-ray.
Is there a chance they could use the Ayres dub on the collection sets whenever those release ?
Unless they're aware of the issues & make a legit effort to correct the error, I doubt it. What they do is that they either redress the discs or just use the same programming for them as in the part sets rather than make new programming for them for some reason. With the Kai season sets, they didn't take care to correct dub errors on the discs, probably because they didn't know they were there, the few that were, so I don't know if they would, even if they know about them. FUNi tends not to do things if it's too much work. I.e. make a GOOD remaster of Z for Blu-Ray even on a crowd-funded release because "oh, it's too time consuming & expensive & removing grain is TOO hard, so we use the automated process every time." Not that anyone there's said that explicitly, but that tends to be the mindset & they shittily justify that mentality over & over again.