Did the franchise ever POSITIVELY affect you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Re: Did the franchise ever POSITIVELY affect you?

Post by Omniboy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:02 pm

I know, I'm a little late and all, but it's what jump started my start at becoming an illustrator. I remember that in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade we would be able to purchase books from their selection, and I would always purchase the Dragon ball Z tracing books. As time went on it came to the point that instead of tracing, I would reference and draw the pictures instead so I can show them off to my friends at school. I even started using pictures from the internet. But I stopped drawing in high school for whatever reason, then after I graduated, realized that becoming a personal trainer is not the fulfilling career aspect for me, realized that I am not good at much else, then remembered I used to like drawing, and decided to college to practice and get a degree in art. I guess it's a bit soon to say whether on not it will be positive, but you know, it something.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:31 am

yeah in a couple ways. one of the biggest being in that joining this site i kinda learned how to talk too people online and kinda be in a community, which i had a very abusive home life at the time (and still do but i'd rather not get into that) so just kinda getting away from that and posting on here and talking too people who didn't make me feel like shit was nice.

as for the actual series, yeah i think so. it just gave me a lot of good times, and still does. it never like changed my life or was my gateway too more stuff i like (besides dr. slump i guess), but it's just been a very fun series for me and no matter what i can always feel a little better reading the old manga volumes or watching it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:34 am

It inspired me to draw/write and to become stronger.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:31 pm

Dragon Ball inspired me to stay in shape and do martial arts. It also inspired me to learn how to draw.

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:32 pm

I honestly don't know if I'd still be here if it wasn't for Dragon Ball. I have been in some pretty dark places and my love for it and my collection of DB really helped me when it felt like nothing else could.
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:16 am

SSJGAffleck wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:32 pm I honestly don't know if I'd still be here if it wasn't for Dragon Ball. I have been in some pretty dark places and my love for it and my collection of DB really helped me when it felt like nothing else could.
That's powerful. Thank you for sharing.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:44 pm

Yes. I was thinking a few weeks ago about how getting into Dragon Ball had a huge butterfly effect on my life.

My interests would probably be completely different right now, I wouldn't be studying music right now, and I would have never met any of my online friends, even ones I've known for less than a year if I had never started watching DBZ back in late 2008.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:46 pm

Even though I've lost most of the interest I used to have in Dragon Ball, it's still important for me. Just today I powered through an hour of work with Dragon Ball insert songs playing in the background, and they really energized me and helped me feel better after having a morning with lots of anxiety. If anyone I meet ever wants to talk about DB, I think I'd still be able to have a lengthy conversation about it.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:40 am

Very much so. I have many good memories stemming from watching, discussing, and/or playing video games about the series. Dragon Ball was, for a bit, everything I'd focus on in my middle school and early high school years.

As a person who struggles with depression and anxiety greatly, the characters and the world in general offered an escape for me which made it easier to cope in even the worst times.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:49 am

Besides being probably my favorite intellectual property of all time, Dragon Ball is the reason I got back into drawing. I would draw when I was little but kind stopped until I was an early teen and started trying to draw Dragon Ball characters. Besides Batman: The Animated Series, Dragon Ball has got me interested in animation which has heavily influenced my drawing style and I would one day, hopefully, like to produce my own animated feature or short.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:29 pm

this is probably a pretty embarrassing thing to write but it has actually helped a ton over the past like 2 months for me. due to a lot of factors (past abuse, trauma, gender dysphoria, finding out i'm allergic to a shit ton of foods, eating disorders, my bladder getting infected, my physical problems from abuse, and anxiety) these last couple months have been such a trainwreck for me, and like DB really has helped a ton. like i don't know, it's such a nostalgic series for me, it makes me so happy, and just having a show/manga like that helps a lot. it's far from the most imporant thing or anything like that, but the series does mean a lot to me and has given me a ton of fun times during moments where i'm lacking in them.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:37 am

I don't always get too personal but... I owe a lot to Dragon Ball.

Thanks to the franchise, I've been able to make connections with people.

Something that the doctors told my mom I would never be able to make when I was diagnosed with Aspergers... They were wrong of course.

Not gonna lie, at first, I thought of my Aspergers as some kind of curse that made my social interactions awkward but as the time passed and I gradually improved with my interactions, I've come to terms with it and now I consider it as part of my life.

There's one phrase of mine that can sum it up all I wrote above:
"To overcome your limits, you must accept them first."

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:28 am

Tian wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:37 am
"To overcome your limits, you must accept them first."
That is a great quote. Gonna write that one down. Thanks for sharing.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:08 am

It most certainly did when I was younger, and it continues to positively affect me to this day.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:57 pm

Dragon Ball always stimulate my creativity this show with few other helped created my own fictionnal Universe so I will never bad mouth this franchise as a whole I'm too grateful for that. Also it helped me to meet a lot of bunch of people from around the world and thx to that I saw that it was okay to love Dragon Ball with passion.

Also Dragon Ball part of helped me learned english :D
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:40 pm

I met one of my best friends basically thanks to DB. A moved schools and they saw DB wallpaper on my phone and we bonded quickly over that.

But I guess nowadays the franchise feels like a burden now due to this on going war I have with Bandai hence why I am less frequent on here nowadays, I sometimes want to up and quit following the franchise but I know that's exactly what they want.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:41 pm

Dragon Ball was one of the first animes I watched growing up and made me interested in anime and manga in general.

SaiyanKingMike

Post by SaiyanKingMike » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:49 pm

I owe my life to Dragon Ball. Been diagnosed with depression for a few years. I remember when they announce battle of the gods movie it helped give me something to keep looking forward too and getting through the darkest thoughts. Even during Super it gave me something to keep looking to every week. It is hard without any dragon ball media besides from DBH coming out but even that i use as something to keep pushing forward. Right now my big motorization to keep getting through each day is Star Wars Episode 9 and announcement of any dragon ball series

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:42 am

Just want to drop by to say that I am very flattered that my thread has managed to stay alive for this long. Thanks, Kanzenshuu community. :)