Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by Venus » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:20 am

English is not even my first or second language and I facepalm everytime I see these weird translations.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:26 am

It's not the worst line, but imho if I was the english translator, I would have asked permission to change it to 'Shit!'

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:59 am

Is it that big of a deal?
"Drats", "Fuck", "Dammit", "Crap"... in this context all serve the same purpose, so what difference does it make.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:22 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:59 am Is it that big of a deal?
"Drats", "Fuck", "Dammit", "Crap"... in this context all serve the same purpose, so what difference does it make.
Because Drats just sounds really silly.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:23 pm

The reason the translations are so bad is because, despite everyone saying they're bad, no one actually volunteers to improve them

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:44 pm

Marco Polo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:23 pm The reason the translations are so bad is because, despite everyone saying they're bad, no one actually volunteers to improve them
I wish it were that simple...

No, the reason they're so bad is because Salagir insists on his own way, rather than fully trusting the translators:

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-1257.html
ParagonMike wrote:Vegito said "No one in the universe can" should be an is instead of can
Meister Kleister wrote:FYI, based on some of the other translations, what Vegetto said in the last panel might better be translated to something like: "Even my little Bra can't reach a tenth of my level. No one in any universe can."
Salagir wrote:This error it my full choice (it may not be a good one, but it's on purpose and not the fault of the english translators ^^).

Here is the discussion that happened between me and my proodreaders:
(Context: He changes "can" to "is" and I say no.)
npberryhill:
This sentence is incomplete. No one in any universe can... can what? That's why I changed it to "is" previously. But I think it can be fixed by changing the previous sentence slightly so it's a direct response the way I think you want. "Even my little Bra can't come close to a tenth of my level." That would make the second sentence work fine I think.
Salagir:
The french version contains the same "error".
The 2 sentences don't fit perfectly with each others: Yes. It's talk. He doesn't prepare his text in advance... It doesn't need to be all calculated and perfectly fitting.
He modify his "argumentation" over time. First, he says she is not strong enough. Then, he adds that well, no one can be that strong enough anyway.
npberryhill:
Okay, cool. I agree we should strive to be as close to the original as possible. Well, if I can, let me suggest we add one word to the end of the second sentence then? "No one in any universe can be." It's small, I don't think it changes meaning, only fixes.
(I still refused, cause i'm a troll)
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:57 pm

So, out of sheer pettiness he makes the translators keep it so, well, that?

:problem:

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:01 pm

Jackalope89 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:57 pm So, out of sheer pettiness he makes the translators keep it so, well, that?

:problem:
That's what I got out if that.

Still, he WAS nice enough to take the blame off the translators themselves, so I wouldn't think TOO badly of him. Just... perhaps he's got one too many things in common with Zen Buu.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:30 pm

No plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:24 am

Marco Polo wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:39 pm
Lukmendes wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:21 pm "Ah yes, all of those insecurities we never talked about or hinted at, those insecurities".
Just like Majin Vegeta then
Vegeta's entire motivation as majin is insecurity about Goku being better than him, basicaly he just threw a very deadly tantrun, so that made sense with his character, what didn't make sense is his relationship with Bulma and him caring enough about her to have a change of heart, but at least we can assume something happened off screen, specialy since, while we see nothing of how he treats Bulma, he does treat Trunks just fine and is proud of him, so there's some merit to his change of heart since Trunks was part of it too, meanwhile, what Bra says, or other characters say about her just contradicts what was shown about her character.

So basicaly, while Majin Vegeta had very clear issues, it still made some sense with what we were shown, Bra is just a version of that which makes no sense since it contradicts what was shown.
TobyS wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:46 am I just want to know why he left Piccolo alive.
Probably the same reason why he left U18 Bra alive, to use as motivation for Gohan later on if needed.
Also there should be potaras around the dead Kaioshin right?
If Gohan didn't vaporize their bodies when he killed Cold-Ginyu then yeah lol.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:29 am

Fionordequester wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:44 pm He modify his "argumentation" over time. First, he says she is not strong enough. Then, he adds that well, no one can be that strong enough anyway.
Someone needs to tell him that English simply doesn't work this way. Even if you wanted to "modify your argumentation" in a casual way, no fluent English speaker would end up with something like what Vegetto says there. If he's really doing it to be a troll, then why does he even bother sticking to a schedule and hiring skilled artists for the main story? My guess is that he just has a stubborn personality when criticized.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:18 am

Regarder wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:29 am If he's really doing it to be a troll, then why does he even bother sticking to a schedule and hiring skilled artists for the main story? My guess is that he just has a stubborn personality when criticized.
Seems likely, unfortunately. You can see how careful npberryhill was in saying "oh yeah, of course! Accuracy! Gotta have that accuracy!".

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:26 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:59 am Is it that big of a deal?
My issue is that the word is "drat," not "drats." No problem with the word choice here, just the consistently sloppy spelling.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:23 pm

Regarder wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:29 am
Fionordequester wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:44 pm He modify his "argumentation" over time. First, he says she is not strong enough. Then, he adds that well, no one can be that strong enough anyway.
Someone needs to tell him that English simply doesn't work this way. Even if you wanted to "modify your argumentation" in a casual way, no fluent English speaker would end up with something like what Vegetto says there. If he's really doing it to be a troll, then why does he even bother sticking to a schedule and hiring skilled artists for the main story? My guess is that he just has a stubborn personality when criticized.
He really can’t take criticism. Like pointing out all the issues with Bra and how she’s a Sue will gets you called a sexist by him and defend his character by talking about how everyone loved Vegeta when he was evil and he’s no different than Bra. Completely ignoring why this comparison doesn’t work even when people spells out the issue.

That’s and he’s a hypocrite who will dog the series, especially GT and Super, for doing something, and he then he turns around and does the same thing and claimed since his work is ‘fanfiction’, he’s for some reason immune from such criticism.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Salagir was obviously being sarcastic when he said "I'm a troll"

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:20 pm

Marco Polo wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:35 pm Salagir was obviously being sarcastic when he said "I'm a troll"
Was he? I mean, that's about the best reason we have as to why a person would veto his own translators. Unless, of course, he thinks he knows English better than the people he hired?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Is that supposed to be some sort of crystalized zanzoken? Now thats something new...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:22 pm

I think it's something she used against Ginyu-Cold.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:19 pm

coola wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:52 pm Image
Is that supposed to be some sort of crystalized zanzoken? Now thats something new...
That's a move she used against Ginyu-Cold, as Saiga pointed out above:

And it's not an after image, it's basicaly a type of clone that uses the exploding clones Gotenks can make as a basis, as Vegetto explained:

Weird she used it and none of the clone's remains are in Gohan's arm like they were in Ginyu-Cold's though, maybe next page will correct this.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:23 pm

I dunno, Bra. If he's bleeding from the mouth already, he's kind of done, regardless.

Now, that Makankasappo. Is it gonna be the beam or the cage? You decide!