What canon or non-canon character(s) would you like to see return in the next installment of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PhoenixEX
Regular

What canon or non-canon character(s) would you like to see return in the next installment of Dragon Ball?

Post by PhoenixEX » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:14 pm

Personally, I'd like to see Tarble return. He's already been confirmed canon so why not add an arc with him as one of the leading (or side) characters? Hell, they can have an arc where Vegeta goes to Universe 6 to face the Saiyan King, and have Tarble join him. It'd be interesting to see have Vegeta, Tarble and Cabba in the same screen.

What about you? What old canon or non-canon characters would you like to see return?
One World. 🌐 🕊

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What canon or non-canon character(s) would you like to see return in the next installment of Dragon Ball?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:17 pm

Konkichi, bro.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: What canon or non-canon character(s) would you like to see return in the next installment of Dragon Ball?

Post by Vijay » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:51 pm

Silver Cell, Diamond Kid Boo, Bronze Bojack, Emerald Janemba & Sapphire Hirudergarn

TOEI/Toyotaro seem to have penchant to recycle classic great characters & shove them down into Super turnin then into them from "greatest evers" into "the only silver lining" or rather "greatest character IN SUPER" troope

Take Golden Frieza & Future Trunks & Broly for instance. As I was rewatchin all of Namek/Frieza Arc~Android Arc, just noticed how "beastly & God-like" Frieza was back in the day in DBZ

Ofc he paled in terms in power scale compared to Cell or Boo (just like Future Trunks & Broly), but my gosh....

His buildup, his plans & subsequent transformations tearing everything around him apart were dope af....and I rewatched ROF...Golden Frieza😶😶😶

My whole point is if all ur gonna do my bringin back old canon/non-canon characters just to DEVALUE them....its better to leave them alone.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:58 pm

Paikuhan. (Pikkon, for dub-fans)

The dude never really was gone into properly originally. Just kind of was a one-off who had a minor role in one of the movies too.
Bring him back, and do a fun little arc where Goku meets up with some of his training buddies in the afterlife. Maybe do some weird villain who's gonna destroy the afterlife world...

Okay, I just pitched the Janemba movie. But let's be fair, that movie sucked plot-wise, so a second go around couldn't hurt.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:43 pm

Suno! Bring up that romantic tension again for some reason, haha.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:10 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:43 pm Suno! Bring up that romantic tension again for some reason, haha.
Always felt she'd have been ideal life partner for Goku compared to Chichi. Not that I dislike Chichi or anything....just felt Snow/Suno has very similar childish innocence akin to Goku & compared to most gals Goku has encountered in his life (Bulma was perverse, Chichi was all about marriage life, Lunch was...duh..dual personality)

Both Goku & her innocence wud at least gifted Goku a peaceful marriage life😂😂😂

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:46 am

Why not just watch the original material (insert character's name here) showed up in instead ? Modern DB needs to leave the past where it belongs and move forward with new content. The reason I wanted new DB content was to get new content, not old content with a different paint job (literally in Freeza's case). There's enough fan fiction that focuses on old concepts in new settings, there's no need for the official works to do that as well.
Vijay wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:51 pmIf all ur gonna do my bringin back old canon/non-canon characters just to DEVALUE them....its better to leave them alone.
This 100%.

Freeza, Trunks, & Broly had nowhere close to the same impact that their original counterparts had so not only did we miss out on new content that we could've got instead, what they did give us was lacking compared to the original.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:39 am

Vijay wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:10 am
KBABZ wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:43 pm Suno! Bring up that romantic tension again for some reason, haha.
Always felt she'd have been ideal life partner for Goku compared to Chichi. Not that I dislike Chichi or anything....just felt Snow/Suno has very similar childish innocence akin to Goku & compared to most gals Goku has encountered in his life (Bulma was perverse, Chichi was all about marriage life, Lunch was...duh..dual personality)

Both Goku & her innocence wud at least gifted Goku a peaceful marriage life😂😂😂
Heh, yeah I agree, I personally felt Suno would have been a better fit for Goku overall, particularly since he had more time with Suno compared to Chi-Chi (anime filler aside).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:50 am

sintzu wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:46 am
Freeza, Trunks, & Broly had nowhere close to the same impact that their original counterparts had so not only did we miss out on new content that we could've got instead, what they did give us was lacking compared to the original.
Broly was now fleshed out and no longer had the world’s stupidest motivation for a villainous grudge.

I just can’t see how Super Broly was “lacking” compared to the god awful crap we were given with him back in Z. He now resembles an actual fleshed out character and not a weakly thought out idea.

Freeza’s return would have been better if it was one and done deal.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:54 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:50 amBroly was now fleshed out and no longer had the world’s stupidest motivation for a villainous grudge.
There were improvements but nothing to justify bringing him back, let alone giving him the kind of movie he got. A 4 year wait, a new art direction, & the 20th movie should've been something new and worthy of such a celebration, not the same old thing we already had since 1993.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:00 am

Zamasu, any version of him would do. I personally prefer Fused Zamasu, so I am glad that Heroes brought him back, but realistically if Zamasu is going to return, it's going to be Goku Black. He is much more popular than normal Zamasu or Fused Zamasu.

Not that I am complaining, of course! He was a fantastic villain and I would love to see more of him and his unique techniques.

Now, how he would return exactly, that's another matter entirely, but there are a lot of interesting theories around the internet that you can see for yourself. I think the desire to see Black or Zamasu again is definitely there and it's only a matter of time before Toei brings him back. I mean, episode 47 had the highest ratings in Super by far, need I say more?

Granted, I don't want him to join the good guys or be redeemed or anything like that. I don't want him to be a recurring anti-hero either. But I believe that we have not seen the last of him and that he might return as the villain or even an "unwilling ally" in a future arc (sort of like Freeza in the Tournament of Power).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:47 am

sintzu wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:54 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:50 amBroly was now fleshed out and no longer had the world’s stupidest motivation for a villainous grudge.
There were improvements but nothing to justify bringing him back, let alone giving him the kind of movie he got. A 4 year wait, a new art direction, & the 20th movie should've been something new and worthy of such a celebration, not the same old thing we already had since 1993.
There were no improvements. Nada, zip, zilch. He still has no motivations for fighting. It was a waste, at least in terms of story. Toei had to be happy with the box office, though.

Maybe Paikuhan would be cool, although Piccolo already serves that role. Suno would be nice, but it's not that kind of series. I would like to see Bardock return in some capacity, but not this new less interesting one, but the real one from the TV special. I'd like to see his reaction to his son. Hell, seeing Nappa and Radtiz's reactions to Goku and Vegeta might be interesting.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:57 am

ABED wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:47 amThere were no improvements. Nada, zip, zilch. He still has no motivations for fighting. It was a waste, at least in terms of story. Toei had to be happy with the box office, though.
I think the box office will result in the majority of modern DB being call back/nostalgic stories, not that it already isn't but it'll be even more so moving forward. In terms of Broly, getting rid of the whole "Goku crying" plot point was a major plus.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:29 am

I don't think Goku crying was a motivation. Critics are being too literal in their evaluation of that moment.

Like it or not, Broly is a draw. Even though much of modern DB is driven by nostalgia, the box office for Broly was exceptional even for DB.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:09 am

ABED wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:29 amLike it or not, Broly is a draw. Even though much of modern DB is driven by nostalgia, the box office for Broly was exceptional even for DB.
I understand bringing back Broly from a financial point of view, but why not just create new characters and concepts that can be just as popular and profitable ? If you're going to bring back something after it being done for nearly 2 decades, you'd think they'd bring as much new content to the table as possible.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:22 am

sintzu wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:09 am
ABED wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:29 amLike it or not, Broly is a draw. Even though much of modern DB is driven by nostalgia, the box office for Broly was exceptional even for DB.
I understand bringing back Broly from a financial point of view, but why not just create new characters and concepts that can be just as popular and profitable ? If you're going to bring back something after it being done for nearly 2 decades, you'd think they'd bring as much new content to the table as possible.
New characters and concepts are great, but that's long range thinking and won't give the nostalgia pop. It would take time to reach the level of popularity DB Super: Broly achieved.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:27 am

ABED wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:22 amNew characters and concepts are great, but that's long range thinking and won't give the nostalgia pop. It would take time to reach the level of popularity DB Super: Broly achieved.
I miss the days of the manga when Toriyama was always changing things up by introducing new concepts with each arc. I know nostalgia is important but they can slow it down a bit. We didn't need TWO brolys being introduced back to back.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:07 pm

sintzu wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:27 am
ABED wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:22 amNew characters and concepts are great, but that's long range thinking and won't give the nostalgia pop. It would take time to reach the level of popularity DB Super: Broly achieved.
I miss the days of the manga when Toriyama was always changing things up by introducing new concepts with each arc. I know nostalgia is important but they can slow it down a bit. We didn't need TWO brolys being introduced back to back.
Second Broly?

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:14 pm

sintzu wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:54 am
I have watched DBZ Broly trilogy films combined more times than DBS Broly and thats sayin sumthin. I dont wish to rant, but points needs to be justified nah.

Personally I disliked the art/animation in DBS Broly EXCEPT Yuya Takahashi parts. An aspect I've always been critical abt ever since posters were released & I was proven right as I rewatched the film. I'd have prefered Uchiyama Masayuki or Ebisawa Yukio works instead of what we got in most part of DBS Broly...whenever Yuya Takahashi doesnt play his part.

The plot. Truly a shell of its deep, tragic & dark tale from Z series & Broly films. Nothin ever felt organic or substantial to mask its glaring superficially skimmed threads (wheras any other studio would've made a killing by giving a spin to such an intricate tale)

Characters were caricature compared to original Z film or series. Frieza, Paragus, Broly...all of em. I dont buy pathetically handled romance between Broly and dat...who's dat gal...see. its dat forgettable

Music didnt impress me in the slightest. And film lacked overall punch which BOG & ROF had.

Only positive wud be some cool action choreography b'ween Veggie vs Broly. Dats all. And yeah. Future installments may include Broly & dude might even join Z fighters. Yeay!!! Crap. Cuz I've already discarded GT & Super from DragonBall franchise & anythin frm Super doesnt mean a thing to me

I also dont buy Broly fleshed-out instantly means = better version

M8 & M10 Broly was terrifying freak of nature. He was an unstoppable force...so much so that he sends shiver down the spine @ the sheer brutality of his wrassling style fight...kinda Attitude Era & RA Era

DBS Broly seems kid-friendly like John Cena's PG Era😂😂😂except him slamming Goku repeatedly on floor, across mountains & smashin Frieza (evn dat seemed comedic on purpose)...dude felt....empty...

Wheras ironically, I felt M8 & M10 Broly to be dark, sinister & devilish as far as Saiyans go. Wouldnt wanna mess with a guy like him

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:23 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:07 pmSecond Broly?
Kale was introduced based on Broly's popularity (according to a producer) but even that wasn't enough so they brought in the original as well. All that's left is to find a way to bring over the original Broly from Movie 8 so we can have 3 Brolys.