How much dialog was actually changed from the Funimation original uncut Z dub and the orange brick “uncut redub”

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

How much dialog was actually changed from the Funimation original uncut Z dub and the orange brick “uncut redub”

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:19 pm

Only ones I know of

1999!Frieza: Any last words before you go the way of the dodo?
2007!Freeza: Any last words before I kill you?

1999!Vegeta: This is going to be easier than coloring inside the lines
2007!Vegeta: This is going to be easier than I thought

1999!Dende: Don’t piss off the god of love!
2007!Dende: You mustn’t disrespect the dragon

1999!Vegeta: Holy cosmos look at that thing! So that’s the dragon of legend? My gosh that’s one whopper od a lizard
2007!Vegeta: Look at that thing! They summoned him the earthlings have tried to summon the dragon of legend without me

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Re: How much dialog was actually changed from the Funimation original uncut Z dub and the orange brick “uncut redub”

Post by email2003 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:52 pm

Reading those lines from 1999 reminds me how cringe the dialogue was in season 3. :thumbdown:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: How much dialog was actually changed from the Funimation original uncut Z dub and the orange brick “uncut redub”

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:08 pm

1999 Vegeta: “You better not lose those Dragon Balls, otherwise we’re all hooped.”
2007 Vegeta: “You better not lose those Dragon Balls, or else I’m gonna be pissed.”

1999 Freeza: “Zarbon, the last time I had my ears checked they were just fine!”
2007 Freeza: “Zarbon, you will be well advised not to rush me.”

1999 Freeza : “Oh, Piccolo, wake up, it’s time for school!”
2007 : “Now, now, you’re not giving up already, eh?”

Oh, and Freeza also said “poor dolt” after King Vegeta executed one of his soldiers in the original dub. That line was removed in the remastered version.

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:45 am

A lot of season 3 Vegeta if not all. The one that I know wasn't changed was any of Sean Schemmel stuff because he didn't want to because it showed how he has grown as an actor.
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:37 pm

SSJGAffleck wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:45 am A lot of season 3 Vegeta if not all. The one that I know wasn't changed was any of Sean Schemmel stuff because he didn't want to because it showed how he has grown as an actor.
Vegeta's dialog was all rerecorded, but was it actually rewritten, too?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:01 pm

SSJGAffleck wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:45 am A lot of season 3 Vegeta if not all. The one that I know wasn't changed was any of Sean Schemmel stuff because he didn't want to because it showed how he has grown as an actor.

No. Most of Vegeta’s dialog is EXACTLY the same. Only a few lines were actually changed.

Chris Sabat re-recorded all of his dialog in season 3 but it was 98 percent the same script

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:37 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:01 pm

No. Most of Vegeta’s dialog is EXACTLY the same. Only a few lines were actually changed.

Chris Sabat re-recorded all of his dialog in season 3 but it was 98 percent the same script
Shoot, I misunderstood the topic... Sorry, I'm an idiot.
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:53 pm

Unfortunately, I doubt there's a whole record of everything that was changed (outside of FUNimation itself, of course). Most of it was very small changes, but there were a lot of very small changes.

For example, when Freeza confronts Moori (the first elder Namekian we see) over the location of his village's dragon ball, Moori attempts to buy the Namekians some time by feigning ignorance and speaking Namekian. In the Ocean dub, Freeza called his bluff and demanded that Moori speak English. In the re-dub, Freeza still calls his bluff, but instead of telling him to speak English, he tells him to speak "the common tongue"...because, as the new dub script adaptors quite accurately noted, there is no England in the Dragon Ball universe.

One of these small changes is quite memorable for being one of the few instances where FUNimation actually corrected an error from the Japanese version. Shortly before Kuririn throws the genki-dama at Vegeta in their battle on earth, Gohan attempts to distract Vegeta by firing ki beams at him. In the original Japanese version and the Ocean dub, Gohan shouts, "Kamehameha!" Thing is...based on his hand positions and the color of the beams, Gohan should actually be shouting, "Masenko-ha!" FUNimation's new script adapter caught this and changed it to that in the re-dub script.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:04 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:19 pm 1999!Dende: Don’t piss off the god of love!
2007!Dende: You mustn’t disrespect the dragon
This one's a weird one, since it came off like they were a little gratuitous with the "Hell" and "damn" for Ultimate Uncut, almost like they were showing us, "Hey, we get to [borderline] curse now!" So for them to re-record the line in a more censored way, seems odd. On that note, my little 11 year old brain almost exploded when I heard the term "piss off" on DBZ on Toonami in 1999.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:12 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:19 pm 1999!Vegeta: Holy cosmos look at that thing! So that’s the dragon of legend? My gosh that’s one whopper od a lizard
2007!Vegeta: Look at that thing! They summoned him the earthlings have tried to summon the dragon of legend without me
I had forgotten that horrible line. I can't even imagine Drummond being able to pull that line off.

Also it's been a while since I've watched the show all the way through and I didn't realize that Gohan said Kamehameha when doing Masenkos even in the Japanese version. I always thought that was a dub error.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:35 pm

Is there a link to where he actually says this? If this is true, then it is kind of ridiculous purposefully wanting to leave a bad dub when he has the free opportunity to re-record his lines so it isn't jarring from episode 67 to 68.

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:40 am

superfan2024 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:35 pm
Is there a link to where he actually says this? If this is true, then it is kind of ridiculous purposefully wanting to leave a bad dub when he has the free opportunity to re-record his lines so it isn't jarring from episode 67 to 68.
I remember him saying it on either a panel or in an interview. I can't remember which one, sorry. I wish I could remember the video because I hate giving fact without evidence to back it up.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:56 am

SSJGAffleck wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:40 am
I remember him saying it on either a panel or in an interview. I can't remember which one, sorry. I wish I could remember the video because I hate giving fact without evidence to back it up.
I have heard this as well. That he "wanted to retain it because it reminded him of a time in his life" or something and because "It showed how far he had come as an actor."

Personally I don't think Schemmel is that good. I actually place him behind Peter Kelamis and Ian Corlett.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:15 pm

email2003 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:52 pm Reading those lines from 1999 reminds me how cringe the dialogue was in season 3. :thumbdown:
They were dubbing DBZ in a similar style that Pokemon and Digimon did by making a dub that would only appeal to dumb kids that won't care about the story as long if they are entertained by it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:42 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:15 pm
email2003 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:52 pm Reading those lines from 1999 reminds me how cringe the dialogue was in season 3. :thumbdown:
They were dubbing DBZ in a similar style that Pokemon and Digimon did by making a dub that would only appeal to dumb kids that won't care about the story as long if they are entertained by it.
now i'm thinking about a version of the Z dub that gives the character's English based names like the pokemon dub does lmao.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:59 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:42 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:15 pm
now i'm thinking about a version of the Z dub that gives the character's English based names like the pokemon dub does lmao.
Like the Harmony Gold dub? :D
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:04 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:59 pm Like the Harmony Gold dub? :D
too be fair, i don't know if names like Zedaki and Mao Mao are 100 percent English names but yea :p
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:12 pm

omegacwa wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:12 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:19 pm 1999!Vegeta: Holy cosmos look at that thing! So that’s the dragon of legend? My gosh that’s one whopper od a lizard
I had forgotten that horrible line. I can't even imagine Drummond being able to pull that line off.

Also it's been a while since I've watched the show all the way through and I didn't realize that Gohan said Kamehameha when doing Masenkos even in the Japanese version. I always thought that was a dub error.
It's okay, the dub made up for this during Buu's fight with Vegetto at the end of the show. Buu's Super Ghosts spend half their time saying the wrong attacks, if I recall correctly.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:55 pm

omegacwa wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:56 am
SSJGAffleck wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:40 am

I have heard this as well. That he "wanted to retain it because it reminded him of a time in his life" or something and because "It showed how far he had come as an actor."

Personally I don't think Schemmel is that good. I actually place him behind Peter Kelamis and Ian Corlett.
That's so ridiculous. If he wanted to look back at his acting, he should've just kept all of the DVD Singles (which were still in circulation prior to 2006/7).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:28 pm

It's not so ridiculous. Why pretend it didn't happen?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.