Why wasn't the central pillar in the ToP destroyed?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Why wasn't the central pillar in the ToP destroyed?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:40 pm

The rest of the arena was completely shattered, but the pillar (which wasn't any more durable) survived until the end. Since it was used to mark time, that seems awfully convenient. What if it had been destroyed? Would Daishinkan have called a time out in order to fix it?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Why wasn't the central pillar in the ToP destroyed?

Post by Lionel » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:55 pm

Less inclination by the fighters to coalesce so close to the middle of the arena? I guess you could also argue that it was made of a stronger material. Although why the whole arena wouldn't have been materially built in a similar fashion is unknown to me.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:27 pm

Probably Daishinkan using reality-altering magic, he could've rewound time to before the pillar got struck and altered the trajectory of any stray blast or simply made the pillar totally indestructible to Ki. The greatest Angel likely still has some surprises up his sleeve that he hasn't revealed to anyone besides Zeno.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:27 pm

theherodjl wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:27 pm Probably Daishinkan using reality-altering magic, he could've rewound time to before the pillar got struck and altered the trajectory of any stray blast or simply made the pillar totally indestructible to Ki. The greatest Angel likely still has some surprises up his sleeve that he hasn't revealed to anyone besides Zeno.
I'm pretty sure it did get damaged several times, it just was never completely destroyed. It only had scratches on the surface.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:31 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:27 pmI'm pretty sure it did get damaged several times, it just was never completely destroyed. It only had scratches on the surface.
After watching the conclusion of the ToP fight again, it seems that Ki itself doesn't cause damage to the pillar yet ordinary forceful impacts can cause minor damage to it so it still might be a case of Daishinkan making the pillar specifically Ki-proof but not immune to anything else.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Lionel wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:55 pm
Although why the whole arena wouldn't have been materially built in a similar fashion is unknown to me.
Because that would have simply been more work. Put extra care to only the pillar makes perfect sense.