"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:42 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:37 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:24 pm
RecolorSaiyan wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:23 pm I've seen people who actually cover One Piece staff/animation stuff say this is bullshit and that Stampede has nothing to do with DBS but of course the masses will eat up Geekdoms bs as usual
Wait what? Holy shit! Source?
https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot/stat ... 4863881221

Pretty much says nobody of huge importance was working on Stampede anyways that would have been on DBS. Yonkou and Geekdom are just shitflinging to avoid any kind of criticism. DId those animators magically find out on may 15th that they were now supposed to draw luffy instead of goku?
I forgot to ask.

If I understood the post correctly, Skippy said that all of the major staff members, or at least the ones that would delay the show with their absence, didn't get taken away. Doesn't that mean their entire excuse falls flat? Why isn't anyone else talking about this?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:23 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:42 pm
RecolorSaiyan wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:37 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:24 pm

Wait what? Holy shit! Source?
https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot/stat ... 4863881221

Pretty much says nobody of huge importance was working on Stampede anyways that would have been on DBS. Yonkou and Geekdom are just shitflinging to avoid any kind of criticism. DId those animators magically find out on may 15th that they were now supposed to draw luffy instead of goku?
I forgot to ask.

If I understood the post correctly, Skippy said that all of the major staff members, or at least the ones that would delay the show with their absence, didn't get taken away. Doesn't that mean their entire excuse falls flat? Why isn't anyone else talking about this?
Geekdoms fanbase eats up anything he says :roll:

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:10 pm

So there's going to be a Jump Victory Carnival at the end of the month, I haven't been following the news that comes out from there, but any changes that they could announce anything?
I mean, we would probably see something new at least for the manga there, like a new promotional art? Or one of those bonus chapters?

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:20 am

Can't believe dragon ball returned post end of z With Pan as the main character with Uub and Bra at her side

and this new villian has such an intresting gimmick and motivation with so many cool minions.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:40 am

Akamay wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:10 pm So there's going to be a Jump Victory Carnival at the end of the month, I haven't been following the news that comes out from there, but any changes that they could announce anything?
I mean, we would probably see something new at least for the manga there, like a new promotional art? Or one of those bonus chapters?
If 2uper is to be announced at an event it'll be at comic con. If not, then it's not returning this year. If we don't hear anything by July of next year, then maybe it's not returning at all in favor of focusing on movies instead.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Wilderness
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wilderness » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:33 am

Whilst I completely get the point of an event required to announce 2uper, please keep in mind that it can be announced without one. It's not entirely unheard of to have an announcement outside of anime/Shonen/Comic Con/etc. events.
"I'm not a bad guy, I am a good guy, who just... hits women with his car."

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 am

Wilderness wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:33 am Whilst I completely get the point of an event required to announce 2uper, please keep in mind that it can be announced without one. It's not entirely unheard of to have an announcement outside of anime/Shonen/Comic Con/etc. events.
RF, DBS, Broly (actual title and KV reveal) were all announced without one. People are just getting things stuck in their head because a few trailers were dropped at cons. DBS return will not be announced at SDCC.

Like I said previously DBS return doesn't even need any marketing lead up, they could easily announce it one month before it airs.

Wilderness
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wilderness » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:58 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 am Like I said previously DBS return doesn't even need any marketing lead up, they could easily announce it one month before it airs.
This. Any marketing will be taken care of by social media/YouTube hype.
"I'm not a bad guy, I am a good guy, who just... hits women with his car."

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:10 am

Wilderness wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:58 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 am Like I said previously DBS return doesn't even need any marketing lead up, they could easily announce it one month before it airs.
This. Any marketing will be taken care of by social media/YouTube hype.
Even the biggest events need some form of marketing.It's DB so although a lot of people will know about it, they're still going to want to have 2-3 months to get the word out to even more people.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:42 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:40 am If 2uper is to be announced at an event it'll be at comic con. If not, then it's not returning this year. If we don't hear anything by July of next year, then maybe it's not returning at all in favor of focusing on movies instead.
...? Any reason why it has to be at comic con?

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:56 pm

Again they are not doing the first announcement of a new series/movie at a foreign event, it will be announced in japan first, heck even the first broly trailer came out in japan first iirc and then everyone was showed it at sdcc.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:22 pm

Akamay wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:42 pm
sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:40 am If 2uper is to be announced at an event it'll be at comic con. If not, then it's not returning this year. If we don't hear anything by July of next year, then maybe it's not returning at all in favor of focusing on movies instead.
It's a major popular event.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:10 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:56 pm Again they are not doing the first announcement of a new series/movie at a foreign event, it will be announced in japan first
That really doesn't need to be the case these days. The new Akira series, for instance, was just announced in a LA event. Dragon Ball is a Japanese property, sure, but it's also a worldwide phenomenon, one of the biggest when it comes to anime, if not the biggest.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:05 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:22 pm
Akamay wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:42 pm
It's a major popular event.
It still doesn't stop things from being announced somewhere else.
But ok, I got the idea that "they'd be missing out if it doesn't show up in this big event."

However, wouldn't it be possible for it to show up at JVC?
It happens about a week later than Comic Con.
So if anything shows up there, it could show up again at JVC as a way to promote the series inside Japan. Maybe?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:14 pm

Akamay wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:05 pmIt still doesn't stop things from being announced somewhere else.
But ok, I got the idea that "they'd be missing out if it doesn't show up in this big event."

However, wouldn't it be possible for it to show up at JVC?
It happens about a week later than Comic Con.
So if anything shows up there, it could show up again at JVC as a way to promote the series inside Japan. Maybe?
Comic con is just one likely place to announce it. For all we know they could announce it a week before and have a bigger presentation at comic con. If it isn't announced this month then it's not coming back this year as shows are usually announced 3 months before they air. Super's last chance to air is in October as that's the start of the season.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:22 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:14 pm Comic con is just one likely place to announce it. For all we know they could announce it a week before and have a bigger presentation at comic con. If it isn't announced this month then it's not coming back this year as shows are usually announced 3 months before they air. Super's last chance to air is in October as that's the start of the season.
I meant more in the sense of having something like:
- Comic Con announcement with English Dub trailer
- JVC shows a bit more footage with the Japanese cast a week later

Assuming that something gets announced.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:12 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if SDCC is where 2uper is announced. The Brolli movie seemed like it was aimed more for U.S. audiences anyway with its heavy focus on "Here's Brolli vs Gogeta; remember the nostalgic Budoukai 3 opening? Here it is, only better animated!" and the giant Gokû balloon at the Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Wasn't Brolli taken less seriously in the fandom in Japan? I thought he was more a joke character to them than a serious one like he is in the U.S.

If they do go the movie route instead I'd like to hope it'll be less rehashing of stuff we've already seen though. Feels story-wise creatively bereft, even if the visuals are beautiful.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:37 pm

Now that I think about it, without a new movie or an anime trailer they won't have that "bigger presence" for SDCC. This could just be the desperateness talking but I think there's a chance we could get something.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:59 pm

Chuquita wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:12 pm I wouldn't be surprised if SDCC is where 2uper is announced. The Brolli movie seemed like it was aimed more for U.S. audiences anyway with its heavy focus on "Here's Brolli vs Gogeta; remember the nostalgic Budoukai 3 opening? Here it is, only better animated!" and the giant Gokû balloon at the Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Wasn't Brolli taken less seriously in the fandom in Japan? I thought he was more a joke character to them than a serious one like he is in the U.S.

If they do go the movie route instead I'd like to hope it'll be less rehashing of stuff we've already seen though. Feels story-wise creatively bereft, even if the visuals are beautiful.
The dragon room did say one of their goals was to understand the international fan base and give them what they want.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:48 am

I hope that while we are waiting all this time not only is Toei continuing to work on the next show behind the scenes, but Toriyama is also preparing a few new stories for the future (he should have had almost 2 years now since he completed Broly’s script and ToP’s outline) so that there can be more consistency with the writing as writers would know Toriyama’s future plans.

Hopefully the show is announced as soon as possible. It’s quite disheartening to see One Piece having a soft reboot with Wano AND Stampede coming up soon while Dragon Ball is getting nothing at all. It feels like they are mistreating the franchise. Even MHA has a new show coming back in October AND a Movie already announced with Horikoshi being involved with it again.
I wished Toriyama cared like Oda and Horikoshi. He’s not even on serialization anymore yet does much less work than those two.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical