Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:29 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:27 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:46 pm No one seems to take into account the costs of production or how the overall market was not that long ago. Sure, if they had been the only release within a decade, they could've done better, but it's hardly a guarentee of success or even being able to complete the product line. FUNi didn't neccessarily cannibalize themselves.
Funi also didn't help themselves by releasing so many versions in a short amount of time. I know nothing is a sure thing but surely they would've done better.
I know. I've stated as much, but I really think you guys are downplaying cost and the overall home video market. Streaming was becoming huge business if it hadn't already.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:49 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:29 pm I know. I've stated as much, but I really think you guys are downplaying cost and the overall home video market. Streaming was becoming huge business if it hadn't already.
If fans were willing to buy 40+ sets of Naruto Shippuden and One Piece, surely they would've bought 10-13 sets of Z.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:19 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:49 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:29 pm I know. I've stated as much, but I really think you guys are downplaying cost and the overall home video market. Streaming was becoming huge business if it hadn't already.
If fans were willing to buy 40+ sets of Naruto Shippuden and One Piece, surely they would've bought 10-13 sets of Z.
At that price point for that few episodes?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:33 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:19 pm
The Z sets had 3 to 4 more episodes in each set for the same price as those other shows so I do believe it would have sold better without the saturation.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:43 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:33 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:19 pm

The Z sets had 3 to 4 more episodes in each set for the same price as those other shows so I do believe it would have sold better without the saturation.
I don't. Maybe if it was the very first release, but no. Even given time, I really doubt it. THis comes off as people still wanting to hate on FUNi for something else. They underestimated the cost and overestimated the sales projections. The DBoxes had nothing to do with this set's issues. It was a very different market it was targeted at. As long as the Season sets existed, no matter how long it had been, as long as they were in circulation, no one's going to shell out the same price for fewer episodes.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:44 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:43 am I really doubt it. I know people love to villify FUNi, but this one wasn't primarily their fault. The cost of making those releases and the price point weren't attractive at that point in the market place. The home video market was not near where it used to be.
My point was that the levels would've sold decently well, enough to justify doing more, if they'd waited longer to start producing them. A good 3-5 year wait was in order after the 2 DVD sets & Kai 1.0 being out before releasing the BRs. Case in point, when they started releasing the Season BRs, everyone wanted Z BRs, especially knowing how good the levels were. A completion of those was in order, but they refused to give us those in favor of a cheap rerelease with no love or passion for the series, which is something I don't think a company should do for the franchise that put them on the map. THEN they could've gotten to work on DB & GT, since those have only had the season DVDs for a decade now just about. A proper rerelease & HD remaster is in order for those series, since it's been far too long for them, but we won't get them until Toei decides to do them.
Also, it's easy to villify FUNi because they cause all of their problems. Why the orange bricks? They wanted to force crop & badly remaster the show for HD TVs as cheap & fast as possible with NO QC at all. Why the level sets failed? They over-flooded the market with 3 different releases of Z in 4 years & were surprised when no one bought them. Why the season BRs? Same as the orange bricks, but with slight improvements. Why these new BRs? FUNi wanted to see if they could get hardcore fans to pay them to give them what they wanted, but they're not giving them what we actually want. They cause their own problems & it's frustrating & bad for us. Worse part is that they know what they're doing too, as the blogpost showed.
ABED wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:46 pm No one seems to take into account the costs of production or how the overall market was not that long ago. Sure, if they had been the only release within a decade, they could've done better, but it's hardly a guarantee of success or even being able to complete the product line. FUNi didn't necessarily cannibalize themselves.
Pretty sure we do &, yes, they did. The costs of production were too high for the returns they were getting, so they cancelled them, as you said yourself. The fact that most everyone had recent DVD releases they were satisfied with didn't help. With people like the guy in THIS video, that was certainly a deciding factor in not buying the levels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spii3SOhi0Y
FUNi milked the cash cow dry on the home video front too quickly.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:32 pm Time definitely played a part in the Level set's failure. When you consider the fact all 9 Orange Bricks, 7 Dragon Boxes and Kai were released in a 4 year timespan and so closely together its understandable not everyone had the money for the Level sets. If the Levels started being released in 2013 or even 2014 that would have allowed some breathing room for enough people to be satisfied with the aforementioned releases before hyping up one final definitive version. I'd say 2014 would have been a good time to release Level 1.1. It was a good 3 years after the Dragon Boxes finished their run, Super wasn't a thing and a lot of people were starting to give up on Kai: The Final Chapters and probably would have saved up and been willing to buy Z again.
Exactly, my guy. Exactly.
My guy, streaming was JUST becoming a big thing then. However, it was still in its infancy. 2013, when Netflix brought back Arrested Development, is when streaming started to become a big thing & a way of watching media. Even then, anime hasn't really been a thing on streaming services. You may get the odd series or movie here & there, but that not usually what streaming services focused on. Even THEN, did streaming REALLY cut into FUNi's bottom line? Really? To hurt the sales of their biggest property? I seriously doubt it. It was a combination of a few things in tandem & streaming wasn't one of those.
ABED wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:43 pm I don't. Maybe if it was the very first release, but no. Even given time, I really doubt it. This comes off as people still wanting to hate on FUNi for something else. They underestimated the cost and overestimated the sales projections. The DBoxes had nothing to do with this set's issues. It was a very different market it was targeted at. As long as the Season sets existed, no matter how long it had been, as long as they were in circulation, no one's going to shell out the same price for fewer episodes.
They would if it was on a higher quality format & it showed legitimate promise. BR was definitely the next set for Z. However, if they weren't releasing them alongside the DVDs, waiting longer was the next best thing. This is why companies either release DVDs or release both formats alongside one another or release combo packs. It's a thing called marketing. One thing you need to do with marketing is read the room & execute the things well, which FUNi both did & didn't do. They read the room on how the orange bricks were bad, but didn't on if anyone was willing to buy a new release of Z. Hell, when they released the season BRs, they produced & released those quickly, even though there was a big backlash from those who understood why they sucked ass. If they put the orange bricks out of print, which they honestly should by now because they were awful in 2007 & they're still awful in 2019, they could then put out new DVDs with downscales of the remasters initially in volumes, but then season sets a year later. It works all the time for them & many people who buy their sets all the time. I don't know why this is such a hard concept to grasp.

Costs killed the levels, time killed the levels (in multiple ways), sales killed the levels, the market killed the levels. It was all of these things at once brought on by FUNi's endless rereleases of Z for a good 20 years & especially from 2007-2011 where they gave 2 different sections of the fanbase DVD releases they could be satisfied with for several years. Waiting several years did WONDERS for the season BRs, so if they'd executed the levels differently & smarter, they'd have sold better.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:06 pm

No way a few years was enough distance. The price was too high for the value and the cost was too high for FUNi.
Waiting several years did WONDERS for the season BRs, so if they'd executed the levels differently & smarter, they'd have sold better.
More episodes at a good price point and lower cost to FUNimation. That's it. This isn't rocket science. They didn't "refuse" to give people the full level set release because they couldn't justify the cost. The market just isn't there. The season sets DVD's and Blu Rays are cheap and a better bargain. They appeal to fans beyond the hardcore audience who understand aspect ratios and what the picture should look like. More episodes at a good price means more to the audience than 4:3 and picture quality. Why do you think it's time that is the primary cause of the season set BR's success?

My big issue is you all place WAY too much emphasis on the time factor and not the cost. The cost of doing a quality restoration has to be high. It wasn't time that was the fundamental issue. It's cost. That's where we differ on this issue. You and others are under the impression that time was the biggest cause in the failure of the level sets. Why insist on downplaying the cost of doing a proper clean up job?

Proof you guys don't know what you're talking about is the way you talk about the DBoxes. They were limited releases. They were on shelves for a VERY short amount of time and weren't marketed to casual fans. The Level Sets were released soon after, but they were aimed at different audiences and the earlier DBoxes were already difficult to track down.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:20 am

Either way they could have done the level set quality for this release. They marketed it as a limited run, hardcore fans release.

Get rid of the figure and add $10-$20 to the price if they had to. Would have covered costs for them and everyone wins.

They are clearly stupid or just straight up dicks

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:52 am

bigray wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:20 am Either way they could have done the level set quality for this release. They marketed it as a limited run, hardcore fans release.

Get rid of the figure and add $10-$20 to the price if they had to. Would have covered costs for them and everyone wins.

Or they used "hardcore" in the same vein as "originally meant to be seen" and "remastered from the ORIGINAL Japanese negatives" or that there are "hardcore fans" that don't pertain to the Japanese version or most people on this forum. This set is for the 30th anniversary of Z and yet everything about it revolves around the US version and not Japanse. I hate to say it, if you got the Dragon Boxes then you got the ultimate release that this set wouldn't even have to offer in a good release (Japanese title cards, NEP). If you don't have the Dragon Boxes, then this forum has stated support to get them thru other means, and you can still buy the Japanese single dvds which look better than FUNi's set anyway.

Yea, FUNi outdid themselves on the level sets and I woulda loved to see that continued, but when it comes to DBZ, they have a pattern or trying and being lazy, but at the end of the day, FUNi is a dubbing company and should not be responsible to archive quality releases. It's not like FUNi's masters are the only ones in existence. It's up for TOEI to do that. Are clearly stupid or just straight up dicks? probably both...but remember, FUNi took out Dragon Boxes from their vault just to sell them at scalped prices... At least you have Dragon Box quality out there. One of my favorite shows has never been released and just got put on iTunes and the quality is worse than the DB singles (compressed broadcast copies that zoomed in that look like they came off of a VCD) the tv rips on the show on youtube are better than what I can get on itunes but still now DVD worthy. So with Z, be glad this isnt the only release available.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:48 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:52 am
bigray wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:20 am Either way they could have done the level set quality for this release. They marketed it as a limited run, hardcore fans release.

Or they used "hardcore" in the same vein as "originally meant to be seen" and "remastered from the ORIGINAL Japanese negatives" or that there are "hardcore fans" that don't pertain to the Japanese version or most people on this forum. This set is for the 30th anniversary of Z and yet everything about it revolves around the US version and not Japanse. I hate to say it, if you got the Dragon Boxes then you got the ultimate release that this set wouldn't even have to offer in a good release (Japanese title cards, NEP). If you don't have the Dragon Boxes, then this forum has stated support to get them thru other means, and you can still buy the Japanese single dvds which look better than FUNi's set anyway.

Yea, FUNi outdid themselves on the level sets and I woulda loved to see that continued, but when it comes to DBZ, they have a pattern or trying and being lazy, but at the end of the day, FUNi is a dubbing company and should not be responsible to archive quality releases. It's not like FUNi's masters are the only ones in existence. It's up for TOEI to do that. Are clearly stupid or just straight up dicks? probably both...but remember, FUNi took out Dragon Boxes from their vault just to sell them at scalped prices... At least you have Dragon Box quality out there. One of my favorite shows has never been released and just got put on iTunes and the quality is worse than the DB singles (compressed broadcast copies that zoomed in that look like they came off of a VCD) the tv rips on the show on youtube are better than what I can get on itunes but still now DVD worthy. So with Z, be glad this isnt the only release available.
I feel you, man. They could indeed do a Level style release especially here but choose to go the quick and easy (lazy) route with most of their own releases and the 30th anniversary set is just the latest example of this mindset. While it's a step up from the Orange Bricks and Season BD's, it still is far from being the kind of thing that respects the look and oldness of the show, and that's why i elected to gradually collect the Dragon Boxes myself. They are effectively the best available (albeit out of print and pricey) release even with their known imperfections assuming Toei doesn't soon come out with their own restored version on Blu-ray down the road, and it really sucks at this point one of the most popular anime shows and the one that really put FUNimation on the map doesn't have one single high quality release in its proper aspect ratio from beginning to end. I mean, we know they can technically make their own third gen film footage look decent as the Level sets showed so it just pains me that isn't the route they took for this and instead more or less re releasing the Season BD's only this time in 4:3 instead of the fake widescreen.

Oh vey, well i have my definitive release so at least this doesn't affect me as much as it would have had i not went for the Dragon Boxes.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:54 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:48 amassuming Toei doesn't soon come out with their own restored version on Blu-ray down the road
Unfortunately I feel that this would have happened by now. Z's 30th anniversary has come and gone. TOEI could have used it as an opportunity to promote their own remaster but they promoted Funimation's release. And with their tendency to be cheap its highly unlikely they will pay for a separate remaster when they could have done one and sold it to Funimation for a profit. Maybe they thought Kai was enough but clearly if they were willing to miss a golden opportunity its not a big priority for them.

The worst thing about all of this is without a new Z remaster its unlikely OG DB and GT will get one for a long time, as they were in desperate need of a Blu-Ray release.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:19 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:54 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:48 amassuming Toei doesn't soon come out with their own restored version on Blu-ray down the road
Unfortunately I feel that this would have happened by now. Z's 30th anniversary has come and gone. TOEI could have used it as an opportunity to promote their own remaster but they promoted Funimation's release. And with their tendency to be cheap its highly unlikely they will pay for a separate remaster when they could have done one and sold it to Funimation for a profit. Maybe they thought Kai was enough but clearly if they were willing to miss a golden opportunity its not a big priority for them.

The worst thing about all of this is without a new Z remaster its unlikely OG DB and GT will get one for a long time, as they were in desperate need of a Blu-Ray release.
Yeah, what a missed opportunity that they didn't do it for the anniversary. I mean, it seems as though all the Dragon Box single DVDs from over a decade ago are still more or less available to buy in which the transfers therein are pushing 16-17 years old and are not perfect so apparently they must be satisfied with how those are still being purchased even now. True, they called and heavily pushed Kai as Z in HD so maybe they figured it wasn't worth the amount of effort to put OG Z in HD as well as the other two series.

That's the case with over here also, given that DB and GT have not been re released since their respective season sets came out around ten years ago.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:34 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:48 am

I feel you, man. They could indeed do a Level style release especially here but choose to go the quick and easy (lazy) route with most of their own releases and the 30th anniversary set is just the latest example of this mindset. While it's a step up from the Orange Bricks and Season BD's, it still is far from being the kind of thing that respects the look and oldness of the show, and that's why i elected to gradually collect the Dragon Boxes myself. They are effectively the best available (albeit out of print and pricey) release even with their known imperfections assuming Toei doesn't soon come out with their own restored version on Blu-ray down the road, and it really sucks at this point one of the most popular anime shows and the one that really put FUNimation on the map doesn't have one single high quality release in its proper aspect ratio from beginning to end. I mean, we know they can technically make their own third gen film footage look decent as the Level sets showed so it just pains me that isn't the route they took for this and instead more or less re releasing the Season BD's only this time in 4:3 instead of the fake widescreen.

Oh vey, well i have my definitive release so at least this doesn't affect me as much as it would have had i not went for the Dragon Boxes.
Have you thought about getting the japanese singles as place holders? I got the for Dragon Box 2 and the count fit really good. I sold my dboxes but I kept the singles

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:12 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:34 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:48 am

Have you thought about getting the japanese singles as place holders? I got the for Dragon Box 2 and the count fit really good. I sold my dboxes but I kept the singles
I actually have all of the FUNi Dragon Boxes with only volume 4 missing, and if it doesn't look like i'll be able to find a good deal for it which will not cost me an arm and leg from eBay anytime soon i might just settle for buying the JPN Dragon Box Z singles that cover the episodes included on there.

isamu

Post by isamu » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:45 pm

Wait a minute, wasn't Funimation at Anime Expo 2019? No reports from AX? I'd be interested in hearing how they addressed this fiasco at their panel.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:29 pm

30 years later, nothing new but 200 more post in the topic lol

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:58 am

Does anyone know how the footage from Funimation's recent "Dragon Ball Z 30th Anniversary Retrospective" stacks up against other footage? Do you guys think that they're using footage from the new set?

https://youtu.be/LbidPaHYBk4
https://youtu.be/wVB434VFwJc
https://youtu.be/_nJqNSNp4Ao

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:48 pm

Well it looks like shitty oversaturated watercolors, so I'd say that's probably from this release.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:17 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:54 am

After Movies Blu-Rays, with not only looked worse than DBOX The Movies on DVD, but were also censored, i wouldnt count on good Blu-Ray release from Toei.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:52 pm

Didn't the Amazon JP masters look better, considering they kept the grain intact and all?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.