Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:24 am

If I'm correct, the title of a "full work" is supposed to be italicized, but not a franchise name, while shorter iterations of said work would be in quotations.

So technically, Dragon Ball as a franchise would not be italicized, Dragon Ball as a series would, and "Bulma and Son Goku" / "The Secret of the Dragon Balls" would be in quotations.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Hoo boy -- so Greg's gotten a hold of Monica/Ron's latest motion ("Motion to Determine the Scope of Anti-SLAPP stay"), and while I'm not aware if the full document's available anywhere (EDIT: It's here), the details he's sharing -- which apparently includes stuff from Vic's deposition -- are, um, telling.

Calling his comments on Rekieta's GoFundMe "shameless" would be an understatement. This is the guy people want to stand behind?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:48 pm

Honestly I find it hilarious in a way that Vic's now throwing Rekieta under the bus to try and save himself. It won't help probably, and it's just one jerk being a jerk to another jerk, but after all the further shit-stirring that Rekieta's done? I can't not enjoy it for what it is.

I'd imagine he (Rekieta) is going to play this all up in a different light somehow of course though. Not sure how, but he's going to spin it as a positive in his defense somehow or another, I guarantee it.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:24 pm

There's something really telling about the bit with Vic being called "The Fuhrer" and not even remembering the nickname spawned from FMA - King Bradley, one of the main villains, is the Fuhrer of Amestris. For a guy naming his own fan club after FMA he sure doesn't mind not knowing anything about it, and saying his fans made it up because they're bad and Oh God My Fucking Case Is Falling Apart.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:33 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:48 pm I'd imagine he (Rekieta) is going to play this all up in a different light somehow of course though. Not sure how, but he's going to spin it as a positive in his defense somehow or another, I guarantee it.
Oh, that's a given. Grifters gonna grift until the bitter end.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:02 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:48 pm Hoo boy -- so Greg's gotten a hold of Monica/Ron's latest motion ("Motion to Determine the Scope of Anti-SLAPP stay"), and while I'm not aware if the full document's available anywhere (EDIT: It's here), the details he's sharing -- which apparently includes stuff from Vic's deposition -- are, um, telling.
Wanna give a big thank you to actually making all this legal stuff palatable and understandable. No way was I gonna sift through all this documentation myself so you're really doing us all a service!

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:02 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:02 pm
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:48 pm Hoo boy -- so Greg's gotten a hold of Monica/Ron's latest motion ("Motion to Determine the Scope of Anti-SLAPP stay"), and while I'm not aware if the full document's available anywhere (EDIT: It's here), the details he's sharing -- which apparently includes stuff from Vic's deposition -- are, um, telling.
Wanna give a big thank you to actually making all this legal stuff palatable and understandable. No way was I gonna sift through all this documentation myself so you're really doing us all a service!
No prob! I browsed maybe half of the motion (anything past the first 70+ pages was mostly visual evidence: Vic articles, forum comments, etc.), and I found Greg cited most of the more incriminating passages. Here's some other relevant stuff he/some other commentators have pointed out since:

-Vic admitting there were consensual acts all but guarantees he can't prove actual malice.
-Rekieta apparently never shared the deposition on his livestreams, which is...telling.
-Furthermore, his "death of a thousand cuts" comment in regards to the other accusers calls his damages claim against the defendants into question, particularly in regards to convention dis-invites. (Remember the whole "arrghhh Monica/Sabat pressured Kamehacon" drama?)
-Going off that last bit, here's a selection of passages undermining his case further alongside his general lack of awareness towards the whole drama.
-Lynzee Loveridge, who wrote the ANN article on Vic, took the liberty of summarizing the whole thing. Incidentally, Vic seems quite forgetful.
-In case you were wondering, no, MarzGurl does not own a Volkswagen.

That, and uh, there's the matter of the following admissions, which is the biggest "YIKES" moment for most. I should mention that while I don't recall if it's in this specific line of questioning (although I can't imagine it's not), he did attempt to dismiss it as something "every voice actor does" during public appearances:

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Imagine still being a Vic Stan

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:22 pm

lol Vic that's a point of view you can get away with when you're not multiply accused of sexual misconduct
Special Beam Cannon!

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:19 am

Another lawyer's undergoing a meticuously-detailed deposition breakdown. For anyone struggling to make sense of all this, I highly recommend it -- there's certainly testimony here I glossed over/didn't understand that've further cemented how fucked Vic's case is.

And, yeah, this is what I mentioned earlier:

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:22 am

I'm reading this shit still wondering how the fuck we got here, what timeline is this? I'm kind of laughing my ass off. Mignogna dissolves into a stuttering mess for portions of this. There's so much "I don't know" and "I don't recall" that I'd wonder if he had dimentia if I didn't know he was answering those to cover his ass.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:31 am

So much for the “innocent until proven guilty” crowd. The man just proved himself to be guilty.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:37 am

In the span of about six months, this situation has gone from being a depressing example of how society lets powerful men get away with abuse and punishes women who speak out, to a hilarious schadenfreude watching a predator and his gang of grifters dig themselves into a hole with no way out. If it weren't for his behaviour, I'd almost feel sorry for Vic- he clearly had no idea what he was getting into with this lawsuit and Rekeita is probably laughing all the way to the bank.

Speaking of, is he still trying to fight this deposition? That transcript has him acting all high and mighty, how long can he get away with that before a sheriff comes knocking?

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:10 am

https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status ... 9167011842

"Was your resignation/termination from the school you taught at a result of accusations of inappropriate conduct with students?"

"Not to my knowledge."

"Don't you think you would've remembered that?"

"Definitely. But I mean like not really, probably?"

Is Vic real?
Special Beam Cannon!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:42 am

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:37 am If it weren't for his behaviour, I'd almost feel sorry for Vic- he clearly had no idea what he was getting into with this lawsuit
That's a strong statement to just how badly Vic's "team" is handling this at this point, that it's so botched it almost makes us feel bad for him just due to the sheer incompetence involved. :lol:

And like with the previous bit where he admitted to cheating/attempting to cheat on his fiance, I just can't process where people are continuing to stand by him on any sort of moral standing (as a ton of them are or are at least pretending to), because he's admitted to not caring if his fans are throwing their money away. That 100% shows he gives absolutely no shit about his fans in a real way. So much for 'for the fans' as Rekieta kept touting before, eh?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:03 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:42 am And like with the previous bit where he admitted to cheating/attempting to cheat on his fiance, I just can't process where people are continuing to stand by him on any sort of moral standing (as a ton of them are or are at least pretending to), because he's admitted to not caring if his fans are throwing their money away. That 100% shows he gives absolutely no shit about his fans in a real way. So much for 'for the fans' as Rekieta kept touting before, eh?
Aside from the superfans who've just drank every last drop of the Kool-Aid, a huge amount of this is and has always been about "owning the SJWs". They don't care if he's guilty or not, or what happens to his fans, they're in this because they've chosen their social/political enemies and hating them is the only thing that matters.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:20 am

Bryesque wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:03 am a huge amount of this is and has always been about "owning the SJWs".
Kind of funny how many different avenues this runs sentiment runs through. Cough.
Special Beam Cannon!

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:57 am

So Vic just confirmed he doesn't care about his stans, lmao and he totally shot himself in the foot in court.
Lmao, how screwed is he?

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:58 pm

So yeah, that makeup artist Beard randomly brought into the disposition? She's a Kiwifarms regular.

I don't recall if we've discussed her here before -- she's worked with Vic on his Star Trek productions and has defended him on the grounds that "he was naive enough to miss the changing times where advances toward women that have been the norm for decades became a “crime"".

I'm just as lost as the rest of you as to why she was present there.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:36 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:58 pm So yeah, that makeup artist Beard randomly brought into the disposition? She's a Kiwifarms regular.

I don't recall if we've discussed her here before -- she's worked with Vic on his Star Trek productions and has defended him on the grounds that "he was naive enough to miss the changing times where advances toward women that have been the norm for decades became a “crime"".

I'm just as lost as the rest of you as to why she was present there.
What's Kiwifarms again?

Regardless, I find Skye's (is that her name?) claim that Vic was "naive" to "miss" the changing times considering that Rial has gone on-record to inform him that his behaviour is inappropriate multiple times over the years.

Plus I think it's always been inappropriate for a grown man to kiss 14 year olds.