"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:01 am

Chuquita wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:12 pm I wouldn't be surprised if SDCC is where 2uper is announced. The Brolli movie seemed like it was aimed more for U.S. audiences anyway with its heavy focus on "Here's Brolli vs Gogeta; remember the nostalgic Budoukai 3 opening? Here it is, only better animated!" and the giant Gokû balloon at the Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Wasn't Brolli taken less seriously in the fandom in Japan? I thought he was more a joke character to them than a serious one like he is in the U.S.

If they do go the movie route instead I'd like to hope it'll be less rehashing of stuff we've already seen though. Feels story-wise creatively bereft, even if the visuals are beautiful.
That is a misconception about Broly and Japanese fans, he has an established fan base over there hence why they made that Broly ride a few years ago and even from this new movie despite FP Broly's poor showing 8 months on that form is still ridiculously popular in Japan and has lead to a shit tonne of unprecedented merch re-releases as result. It is kinda crazy to think the only reason he has that form was because Shintani was feeling nostalgic!
sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:10 am
Wilderness wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:58 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 am Like I said previously DBS return doesn't even need any marketing lead up, they could easily announce it one month before it airs.
This. Any marketing will be taken care of by social media/YouTube hype.
Even the biggest events need some form of marketing.It's DB so although a lot of people will know about it, they're still going to want to have 2-3 months to get the word out to even more people.
Most of the leg work is already done. DBS is still marketed as if it is airing in Japan (you seriously cannot escape it, the two DBS logo's, the Japanese text and even English text DBS branding is literally everywhere) overseas many still airing or in the midst of releasing U.S arc.

It is honestly nuts ever since DBS ended DB's sales just keep increasing, if they actually bothered to market DBS when it was on the air properly who knows how much more DB would be making!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:33 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:48 am I hope that while we are waiting all this time not only is Toei continuing to work on the next show behind the scenes, but Toriyama is also preparing a few new stories for the future (he should have had almost 2 years now since he completed Broly’s script and ToP’s outline) so that there can be more consistency with the writing as writers would know Toriyama’s future plans.

Hopefully the show is announced as soon as possible. It’s quite disheartening to see One Piece having a soft reboot with Wano AND Stampede coming up soon while Dragon Ball is getting nothing at all. It feels like they are mistreating the franchise. Even MHA has a new show coming back in October AND a Movie already announced with Horikoshi being involved with it again.
I wished Toriyama cared like Oda and Horikoshi. He’s not even on serialization anymore yet does much less work than those two.
What soft reboot for One Piece?

And Toriyama would do less work since he retired from the franchise for 20 years and only came back because he didn’t want something like DBE to happen again.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:55 pm

HeroR wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:33 pm
emperior wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:48 am I hope that while we are waiting all this time not only is Toei continuing to work on the next show behind the scenes, but Toriyama is also preparing a few new stories for the future (he should have had almost 2 years now since he completed Broly’s script and ToP’s outline) so that there can be more consistency with the writing as writers would know Toriyama’s future plans.

Hopefully the show is announced as soon as possible. It’s quite disheartening to see One Piece having a soft reboot with Wano AND Stampede coming up soon while Dragon Ball is getting nothing at all. It feels like they are mistreating the franchise. Even MHA has a new show coming back in October AND a Movie already announced with Horikoshi being involved with it again.
I wished Toriyama cared like Oda and Horikoshi. He’s not even on serialization anymore yet does much less work than those two.

And Toriyama would do less work since he retired from the franchise for 20 years and only came back because he didn’t want something like DBE to happen again.
I should have been more specific: One Piece’s soft reboot is a visual one. They changed series director, character designer and there has also been a change of colours I think. It looks very fresh and different to how it was before, sort of like how Broly had a similar art style change (although in Broly’s case it was a much more drastic one).

Toriyama retired but nowadays he’s back on working on the continuation of his manga so I hope he will be taking his role more seriously in the future because it seems like he’s done the bare minimum so far. With Broly’s movie they said a few times that he was much more involved and even corrected some of Shintani’s stuff so maybe he’s finally decided to become more serious about Super.

I wished he could at least write more detailed outlines and I hope he’s been getting way beyond schedule with his stories so that Toei can have a better idea of what will happen in the future and won’t be creating inconsistencies.

It would be interesting to see some scriptwriter from Toei write out a movie from beginning to end with Toriyama reading the script, doing some changes here and there/adding stuff, then approve it and also provide some designs.
I don’t think that should be too much work, and Toei could market it as a canon movie like MHA ones.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:26 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:55 pm
HeroR wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:33 pm

I should have been more specific: One Piece’s soft reboot is a visual one. They changed series director, character designer and there has also been a change of colours I think. It looks very fresh and different to how it was before, sort of like how Broly had a similar art style change (although in Broly’s case it was a much more drastic one).

Toriyama retired but nowadays he’s back on working on the continuation of his manga so I hope he will be taking his role more seriously in the future because it seems like he’s done the bare minimum so far. With Broly’s movie they said a few times that he was much more involved and even corrected some of Shintani’s stuff so maybe he’s finally decided to become more serious about Super.

I wished he could at least write more detailed outlines and I hope he’s been getting way beyond schedule with his stories so that Toei can have a better idea of what will happen in the future and won’t be creating inconsistencies.

It would be interesting to see some scriptwriter from Toei write out a movie from beginning to end with Toriyama reading the script, doing some changes here and there/adding stuff, then approve it and also provide some designs.
I don’t think that should be too much work, and Toei could market it as a canon movie like MHA ones.
He’s more supervising the manga than making it. It’s even an open question if the latest manga story is even Toriyama’s. That and Toriyama can’t correct an ongoing anime like he can a movie or a monthly manga. Even then, he corrected stuff in the anime like Jiren’s personality.

Toriyama isn’t a detail person. He wasn’t even when he personally wrote his own stuff. He writes on the fly and seems happy giving story bits and allowing Toei and Toyo fill in the blanks.

That’s basically what he did with Battle of Gods. Except he rewrote the entire movie.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:10 pm

Skar wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:21 pm
RecolorSaiyan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:55 am Yonkou is "hinting" its One Piece Stampede Fault no DBS in July :lol:

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1 ... 0426858499
I'm not sure when Toei started production for it but Stampede was announced December of last year. Wouldn't these sources know who was working on Stampede at that point and that they wouldn't be able to work on Dragonball or did Toei start production for Super's return and then delay it? I don't know how it works behind the scenes but I just assume there would be more planning.

The only definitive prediction I've seen is from Baggie Saiyan about the upcoming merchandise releases. I've seen some speculation of Kitaro changing timeslots but I don't know there's any hint of that or if something like that ever happened before. Besides those I think it's easier to wait and see what happens after the manga's Moro saga. If it's another manga-exclusive saga or it goes on a hiatus, the anime may not be returning for a while or they're working on a movie instead for the next storyline written by Toriyama.
Yesterday Jan 2020's DBS Restuden (main DBS line) Volume 6 got revealed & it's more filler as they aren't even gonna be new figures since they're gonna re-use moulds from the previous volumes.

Not looking good at all.

One Piece's new arc merchandising is starting in October, 3months after it has started, so if DBS returns October absolutely no reason for them to be stalling in Jan... :think:

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:10 pm
Skar wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:21 pm
RecolorSaiyan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:55 am Yonkou is "hinting" its One Piece Stampede Fault no DBS in July :lol:

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1 ... 0426858499
I'm not sure when Toei started production for it but Stampede was announced December of last year. Wouldn't these sources know who was working on Stampede at that point and that they wouldn't be able to work on Dragonball or did Toei start production for Super's return and then delay it? I don't know how it works behind the scenes but I just assume there would be more planning.

The only definitive prediction I've seen is from Baggie Saiyan about the upcoming merchandise releases. I've seen some speculation of Kitaro changing timeslots but I don't know there's any hint of that or if something like that ever happened before. Besides those I think it's easier to wait and see what happens after the manga's Moro saga. If it's another manga-exclusive saga or it goes on a hiatus, the anime may not be returning for a while or they're working on a movie instead for the next storyline written by Toriyama.
Yesterday Jan 2020's DBS Restuden (main DBS line) Volume 6 got revealed & it's more filler as they aren't even gonna be new figures since they're gonna re-use moulds from the previous volumes.

Not looking good at all.

One Piece's new arc merchandising is starting in October, 3months after it has started, so if DBS returns October absolutely no reason for them to be stalling in Jan... :think:

"My 17 million sources were not wrong, I did not get anything wrong, What happened was that Kitaro, Sailor Moon and Digimon took staff away from DBS and thats why it didn't come back in 2019"

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 pm

I still think that the statements from various VAs from foreign language dubs that they would be simuldubbing 2uper in October is an oddly specific thing for them to be misinformed about. And I see no reason for them to lie.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:08 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 pm I still think that the statements from various VAs from foreign language dubs that they would be simuldubbing 2uper in October is an oddly specific thing for them to be misinformed about. And I see no reason for them to lie.
I don't remember the post but didn't someone say there was something that contradicted what one of the VA's said?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:11 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 pm I still think that the statements from various VAs from foreign language dubs that they would be simuldubbing 2uper in October is an oddly specific thing for them to be misinformed about. And I see no reason for them to lie.
They never said they'd simuldub. At least not French vegeta VA.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:59 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:11 am
Eric Legrand? did he say something?.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:28 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:59 am
Yeah he did.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:39 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:28 am

Yeah he did.
Fantastic. Any ideas what it was?.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:32 pm

I'm almost ready to give up. The youtubers couldn't come through (again) and every month more and more evidence points against Super returning this year. All we have left is SDCC.
sangofe wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:28 am

Yeah he did.
I did some research. It was Italian Vegeta and I heard that what he said got contradicted by Mario Castenda.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:44 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:32 pmI'm almost ready to give up. The youtubers couldn't come through (again) and every month more and more evidence points against Super returning this year.
I'm pretty sure they were on to something as Toei were marketing it to foreign markets and some voice actors said it was a thing. I think something changed that resulted in everything being delayed.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:47 pm

sintzu wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:44 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:32 pmI'm almost ready to give up. The youtubers couldn't come through (again) and every month more and more evidence points against Super returning this year.
I'm pretty sure they were on to something as Toei were marketing it to foreign markets and some voice actors said it was a thing. I think something changed that resulted in everything being delayed.
You mean that whole Simuldub thing? That theory has been tossed around since March, right?

Isn't a Simuldub a dub that airs its show close to the day it airs in Japan? In that case it's Adult Swim and Funimation's fault.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:10 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:47 pm You mean that whole Simuldub thing? That theory has been tossed around since March, right?

Isn't a Simuldub a dub that airs its show close to the day it airs in Japan? In that case it's Adult Swim and Funimation's fault. I think they're the only ones that haven't finished dubbing and broadcasting the rest of the Super episodes yet.
If it gets announced soon (as in the next 2-3 weeks) for October, then we'll know that maybe they were holding off until Toonami and other foreign networks aired the TOP.

I have a theory that I was going to bring up after comic con if it wasn't announced there but I'll just put it out there now, and hope I'm wrong. Maybe 2uper has been cancelled. The reason DB came back in the first place (back in 2009 with Kai) was to help promote their card games and move merchandise. With Broly proving that a movie can be a massive success and Heores' anime promotion being (seemingly) popular, maybe they've decided that a movie every 3-4 years and a promotional anime is all that's needed for the franchise. Video games and merchandise are the companies' #1 priority, so much so that MUI was announced and shown for the games before it was shown in the anime. Why waste the time and money on a weekly anime when you can have 10 minute short episodes every 2 weeks that do just as good of a job ?

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:25 pm

sintzu wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:10 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:47 pm You mean that whole Simuldub thing? That theory has been tossed around since March, right?

Isn't a Simuldub a dub that airs its show close to the day it airs in Japan? In that case it's Adult Swim and Funimation's fault. I think they're the only ones that haven't finished dubbing and broadcasting the rest of the Super episodes yet.
If it gets announced soon (as in the next 2-3 weeks) for October, then we'll know that maybe they were holding off until Toonami and other foreign networks aired the TOP.

I have a theory that I was going to bring up after comic con if it wasn't announced there but I'll just put it out there now, and hope I'm wrong. Maybe 2uper has been cancelled. The reason DB came back in the first place (back in 2009 with Kai) was to help promote their card games and move merchandise. With Broly proving that a movie can be a massive success and Heores' anime promotion being (seemingly) popular, maybe they've decided that a movie every 3-4 years and a promotional anime is all that's needed for the franchise. Video games and merchandise are the companies' #1 priority, so much so that MUI was announced and shown for the games before it was shown in the anime. Why waste the time and money on a weekly anime when you can have 10 minute short episodes every 2 weeks that do just as good of a job ?
I mean...I suppose it's possible. But, and correct me if I'm wrong about this, the foreign markets do make up a large part of DB's revenue, yes? And it's not as though the Heroes anime is being released internationally. So if that's their strategy...it's a pretty bad one.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:36 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:25 pmCorrect me if I'm wrong about this, the foreign markets do make up a large part of DB's revenue, yes? And it's not as though the Heroes anime is being released internationally. So if that's their strategy...it's a pretty bad one.
Although Heroes isn't in foreign countries, other popular games and merchandise are, and as far as I know they're all selling very well. Between that and Heroes in Japan, they may have decided that what they're doing is enough.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Don't forget that the manga is still going strong. Whether you enjoy it or not, it continues to tell the Dragon Ball Super story every month, and it generates quite a bit of money in sales (the volumes are top sellers every time). It is absolutely a possibility that the anime has been dropped in favour of a manga accompanied with movies, since every bit of that can directly generate profit. However, we'll see if that's what their strategy is as time goes on.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:48 pm

Alruneia wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:45 pmIt is absolutely a possibility that the anime has been dropped in favour of a manga accompanied with movies, since every bit of that can directly generate profit. However, we'll see if that's what their strategy is as time goes on.
I really hope this isn't the case but if by this time next year there's nothing announced then chances are it has been dropped.