Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:10 am

Damn, I missed seeing people running around, screaming. Then again, I guess that would make Goku look evil because... He was freaking destroying the city! Him, the one who always takes the fight to a place where there are no people around, was destroying buildings! :lol:
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:21 am

This was hella good of an episode. The Hearts fight positively surprised me, it was worth all the wait. I should be surprised that he's still standing after that direct Kamehameha to the face, but it seems that nobody can just die in DBH, heroes and villains alike :P

Makes me wonder how will they deal with Zamasu, who's legit immortal.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:43 am

Credit where it's due, Heroes pulled a rabbit out of the hat and produced a genuinely good episode.

Hopefully, the show can maintain this level of quality and episodes like this don't become the equivalent of a shinning diamond stuffed in big pile of horseshit

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:04 am

Gotta mirror others here.

Shida just made the fight so VISCERAL and fluid. I also really liked Piccolo and 17's moment against Kamioren.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:19 am

Episode 13 is the first DB Heroes episode I found to be genuinely entertaining, and that’s mostly due to Shida’s insane 1 minutes and 11 seconds long cut. I also liked other stuff in the episode, such as the overall direction, storyboard and also things like Goku having finally flowy hair and the Piccolo + 17 combo which would have been cool to get in the Tournament of Power.
I don’t expect this episode to be topped anytime soon, if ever.

I wonder what’s up with Yamamuro seemingly stepping down a bit since episode 12... has he been working on something else? I could see Toei hiring him to direct, storyboard and supervise a whole movie like he did with Resurrection F while Shintani would be on the TV show, unless the next movie has been written by Toriyama in which case I think Shintani would be working on it in some capacity.
Honestly I hope Yamamuro will be staying on Heroes, and if they ever decide to have both a weekly show running and yearly movies that someone else takes the role of CD for one of those if Shintani can’t work on both.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:08 am

Just watched without sound since I'm at work, but the animation got really good for a minute or so. Overall I think it's bizarre that Heroes has had more consistent animation than Super did. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come if/when super returns.

Also, was Vegeta taking a nap?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:11 am

omegacwa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:08 am Just watched without sound since I'm at work, but the animation got really good for a minute or so. Overall I think it's bizarre that Heroes has had more consistent animation than Super did. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come if/when super returns.
It's not bizarre for one show to have better animation than the other if one show has bad scheduling and the other doesn't.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:25 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:11 am
omegacwa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:08 am Just watched without sound since I'm at work, but the animation got really good for a minute or so. Overall I think it's bizarre that Heroes has had more consistent animation than Super did. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come if/when super returns.
It's not bizarre for one show to have better animation than the other if one show has bad scheduling and the other doesn't.
I know all about that, I just mean you'd think they would have put in more effort into the main show than a non-canon fan service video game promo.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:31 am

omegacwa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:25 am
I know all about that, I just mean you'd think they would have put in more effort into the main show than a non-canon fan service video game promo.
Oh, there was effort put into Super. Just not from the higher ups who couldn't care less about the quality and acted in total apathy when the show's quality was suffering, but from the core staff (episode directions, animators, series directors, storyboard artists, and even writers) who busted their arses to get something on quality out of not much to work with and with little to no time.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:39 am

That was better than anything Super has ever shown. The fights were actually good and very dynamic.

Also they actually managed to make transformation into SSJB look COOL for the very first time. Especially if you compare it to lame debut this form had in RoF movie/arc.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:57 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:31 am
Oh, there was effort put into Super. Just not from the higher ups who couldn't care less about the quality and acted in total apathy when the show's quality was suffering, but from the core staff (episode directions, animators, series directors, storyboard artists, and even writers) who busted their arses to get something on quality out of not much to work with and with little to no time.
I just want to be clear that I am not discounting the hard work of the animators. I can't even imagine how grueling it is. What I am saying is I just don't understand why Toei didn't think to put maximum effort into a show like DBS. Dragon Ball/z/gt had their share of badly done episodes but nowhere near as bad as super. I just recently rewatched some early super and man is it bad. Thankfully someone woke up by the middle of the FT Arc and by the time the ToP was happening most of the episodes looked at least passable to amazing.

I wonder if doing the show in a similar way to the movies/heroes would be a better scenario, with instead of having one team handle one episode, you have one team handle half, and another the other half, or just fight scenes or something.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:59 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:39 am Also they actually managed to make transformation into SSJB look COOL for the very first time. Especially if you compare it to lame debut this form had in RoF movie/arc.
You weren't a fan of how Goku went SSB in Broly?

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:58 pm

DHM211 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:59 am
sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:39 am Also they actually managed to make transformation into SSJB look COOL for the very first time. Especially if you compare it to lame debut this form had in RoF movie/arc.
You weren't a fan of how Goku went SSB in Broly?
Nope. Extreme amount of random colors ruined it. I didn't like effects in this movie at all.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:32 pm

omegacwa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:57 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:31 am

I just want to be clear that I am not discounting the hard work of the animators. I can't even imagine how grueling it is. What I am saying is I just don't understand why Toei didn't think to put maximum effort into a show like DBS. Dragon Ball/z/gt had their share of badly done episodes but nowhere near as bad as super. I just recently rewatched some early super and man is it bad. Thankfully someone woke up by the middle of the FT Arc and by the time the ToP was happening most of the episodes looked at least passable to amazing.

I wonder if doing the show in a similar way to the movies/heroes would be a better scenario, with instead of having one team handle one episode, you have one team handle half, and another the other half, or just fight scenes or something.
Again, maximum effort was put in from the staff at Toei. The problem is just that for a large majority of Super's run, the people who were crafting the show has next to no time to work at their best and also had to deal with the apathy of higher ups who were more cornered with profit that the quality of the show.

The reason that DBS Broly looked so damn good was because of good scheduling, along with a range of supporting animators and storyboard artists, who were not just of top quality, but had more than enough time to produce their best kind of work. The core reason the Super TV anime had such rough star visually was because it didn't have the luxuries that the Super Broly movie had. As not only did the show get barely half the amount of time that should usually be granted to any long running TV show for pre-production (3 months instead of 6-7), but the pool of animators, storyboard artists and other integral member of staff for the TV anime were sub-par due to Toei resources being majorly stretched at the time. Resulting in Super having to metaphorically feed off of scraps. The rotation of series directors throughout its run certainly didn't help matters either.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:32 pm Again, maximum effort was put in from the staff at Toei. The problem is just that for a large majority of Super's run, the people who were crafting the show has next to no time to work at their best and also had to deal with the apathy of higher ups who were more cornered with profit that the quality of the show.

The reason that DBS Broly looked so damn good was because of good scheduling, along with a range of supporting animators and storyboard artists, who were not just of top quality, but had more than enough time to produce their best kind of work. The core reason the Super TV anime had such rough star visually was because it didn't have the luxuries that the Super Broly movie had. As not only did the show get barely half the amount of time that should usually be granted to any long running TV show for pre-production (3 months instead of 6-7), but the pool of animators, storyboard artists and other integral member of staff for the TV anime were sub-par due to Toei resources being majorly stretched at the time. Resulting in Super having to metaphorically feed off of scraps. The rotation of series directors throughout its run certainly didn't help matters either.
I guess I'm not being clear, I'm speaking of the company as a whole. Why did these executives not think to give the staff the right amount of time for such a big show. It just doesn't make sense. Dragon Ball is arguably the most popular anime ever, seems incredibly stupid to not give it the time it deserves.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:56 pm

omegacwa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:38 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:32 pm Again, maximum effort was put in from the staff at Toei. The problem is just that for a large majority of Super's run, the people who were crafting the show has next to no time to work at their best and also had to deal with the apathy of higher ups who were more cornered with profit that the quality of the show.

I guess I'm not being clear, I'm speaking of the company as a whole. Why did these executives not think to give the staff the right amount of time for such a big show. It just doesn't make sense. Dragon Ball is arguably the most popular anime ever, seems incredibly stupid to not give it the time it deserves.
It was a combination of shortsightedness and greed on the part of Toei and Fuji TV. There was massive new wave of interest in Dragon Ball content and they exploited that interest by throwing on a new Dragon Ball anime as soon as they can as they knew people would watch it and buy the shit they saw on the TV screen and that all kinds of media outlets and sponsors would throw truck loads of money at them to advertise on behalf of their new TV show.

And, well, it worked. Dragon Ball is now an IP worth over a billion dollars annually.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:20 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:39 am That was better than anything Super has ever shown. The fights were actually good and very dynamic.

Also they actually managed to make transformation into SSJB look COOL for the very first time. Especially if you compare it to lame debut this form had in RoF movie/arc.
I mean, it’s decent enough, but doesn’t really match any of Super’s highs
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:26 pm

Kanassa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:20 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:39 am That was better than anything Super has ever shown. The fights were actually good and very dynamic.

I mean, it’s decent enough, but doesn’t really match any of Super’s highs
Especially if we're taking into consideration the Broly movie. That movie, from a visually standpoint, kills anything we've previously gotten in Dragon Ball animated material.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:59 pm

I know people like to defecate on Super, but it had a lot of really good moments. It could have been better, but it wasn't awful, especially after you endure (or skip) the recreations of the BoG and RoF stories.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:00 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:59 pm I know people like to defecate on Super, but it had a lot of really good moments. It could have been better, but it wasn't awful, especially after you endure (or skip) the recreations of the BoG and RoF stories.
I fully agree. I enjoyed Super very much even with its animation hiccups.