"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:48 pm

If we leave this year empty handed what are we going to do during 2020? It seems silly sitting wasting an entire year following the same cycle we're doing now.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:53 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:48 pm If we leave this year empty handed what are we going to do during 2020? It seems silly sitting wasting an entire year following the same cycle we're doing now.
I think at this rate, if it isn't back by January, then even I may start getting concerned.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:32 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:53 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:48 pm If we leave this year empty handed what are we going to do during 2020? It seems silly sitting wasting an entire year following the same cycle we're doing now.
I think at this rate, if it isn't back by January, then even I may start getting concerned.
My limit is next July as that'll be the latest they'll wait to announce it for 2020's fall season. If we don't get anything by then then there's a chance that it's not going to happen.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:10 pm

I talked to 20 different sources who work at Toei Japan and they all confirmed to me that an announcement IS coming during SDCC, the anime will return in October, they won't retell the Broly movie but will start with the Galactic Patrol Arc. This is set in stone and I have verified multiple times

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:33 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:10 pm I talked to 20 different sources who work at Toei Japan and they all confirmed to me that an announcement IS coming during SDCC, the anime will return in October, they won't retell the Broly movie but will start with the Galactic Patrol Arc. This is set in stone and I have verified multiple times

Why should we belive you?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:33 pm
RecolorSaiyan wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:10 pm I talked to 20 different sources who work at Toei Japan and they all confirmed to me that an announcement IS coming during SDCC, the anime will return in October, they won't retell the Broly movie but will start with the Galactic Patrol Arc. This is set in stone and I have verified multiple times

Why should we belive you?
I think he's making fun of Geekdom's "17 sources" statements he made in the past. It's a shame they turned out to be wrong because this will most likely result in leakers thinking twice before they tell us anything.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:56 pm

https://twitter.com/GovetaXV/status/1118963513798455296
"Nothing is Fixed Now,Toei hasn't came up with anything yet, not anything about arrangements and when will it start.
We are looking forward to it as eagerly as everyone else. There is nothing that we can answer about it right now."
Every month this seems more and more likely and it explains the long silence.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:20 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:56 pm https://twitter.com/GovetaXV/status/1118963513798455296
"Nothing is Fixed Now,Toei hasn't came up with anything yet, not anything about arrangements and when will it start.
We are looking forward to it as eagerly as everyone else. There is nothing that we can answer about it right now."
If this is true and not some PR talk, then maybe it's time to accept that a full anime may be out of the question for the time being. With how successful Broly was and how much merchandise the franchise is moving, they may have decided to just make a movie once every few years while allowing the promotional anime to fill in the gaps.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:28 pm

sintzu wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:20 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:56 pm https://twitter.com/GovetaXV/status/1118963513798455296
If this is true and not some PR talk, then maybe it's time to accept that a full anime may be out of the question for the time being. With how successful Broly was and how much merchandise the franchise is moving, they may have decided to just make a movie once every few years.
It's time for everyone to accept it. Unfortunately. :(

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:33 pm

sintzu wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:20 pm
They may have decided to just make a movie once every few years while allowing the promotional anime to fill in the gaps.
But he didn't deny the anime. He even confirmed it. He just means Toei hasn't even made a dent in working on it yet which, again, makes sense due to the movie.

What he said and the movie coming up leads me to believe the anime won't be back until 2021.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:43 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:33 pm But he didn't deny the anime. He even confirmed it. He just means Toei hasn't even made a dent in working on it yet which, again, makes sense due to the movie.

What he said and the movie coming up leads me to believe the anime won't be back until 2021.
He confirmed that he's looking forward to it like everyone else, not that it's happening. DB's entire revival starting in 2009 with Kai, according to Torisima, was to get merchandise moving. As of now, there's no need for an anime because the merchandise and games are already selling extremely well. They said they got the OK to move ahead with a new movie which is understandable, the movies actually make money, the anime doesn't, at least nowhere near as much.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:57 pm

sintzu wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:43 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:33 pm But he didn't deny the anime. He even confirmed it. He just means Toei hasn't even made a dent in working on it yet which, again, makes sense due to the movie.

He confirmed that he's looking forward to it like everyone else, not that it's happening.
He practically confirmed that they're working on something. He wouldn't say he's "looking forward to it" if they weren't.

And, unless he wouldn't be on the 2.0 crew, he's basically a high ranking official. Even if he was just hoping that 2.0 would come it means that he has enough confidence in the anime to know that it's returning.
sintzu wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:43 pm As of now, there's no need for an anime because the merchandise and games are already selling extremely well.
How are you going to make more merchandise and games without an anime? Both them and the fans are going to get burnt out on movies eventually.
sintzu wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:43 pm the movies actually make money, the anime doesn't, at least nowhere near as much
I don't know a thing about business but switching over to movies can't be as easy as it sounds.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Thing is, what do people expect Hayashida (a high ranking official at Toei) to say? it's clear the information isn't ready to be made public.
He isn't going to say "oh yeah, it's coming back, the team are working on it right now".
Toei officials aren't going to say anything, but to be honest, he doesn't deny it outright that it's coming.
I read that as, "we can't answer any questions right now" because it's supposed to be top secret.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:32 pm

I don't know why everyone is setting deadlines to be start doubting a new series is coming. If anything the fact a new movie is in the works opens up many doors.

Super could return any time before the new movie and it would get people hyped again and watching to be caught up before their cinema trip.

If we were waiting years upon years for Super's return, and even a movie wasn't capitalized on I'd see reason to be concerned, but at this point its early for TOEI to make people miss it enough that they can have a break or absorb the new content and then hear about 2uper just when they were just about to give up.

Its no different than when your favourite band takes a 2 or 3 year break between albums and the next one feels earned.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:40 pm

I think TOEI are being smart. Broly only came out on BD in Japan the 5th June.
They likely want to make the most out of Broly home video sales before they push out a new weekly show.
From a marketing perspective, it would be bad for business to release Broly on BD, then have the weekly show return a month later and get lost amongst the hype surrounding the TV anime's return.

Ordinarily, like One Piece, they wouldn't have the opportunity to give sole focus to Broly, as the TV anime would be airing, but in this situation they have the chance to get as much as possible out of it.
In the future, they may not, as it seems they want a weekly show as well as movies every so often, just like One Piece.

Also, Japan has now been added to the Dragon Ball World Tour - as the final stop, in December.
Jump Festa is most likely where it's going to appear, and if that is the case, it is possible they could announce a Super return for April.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:42 pm

SDCC https://www.comic-con.org/cci/programming-schedule has its Dragon Ball Z 30th Anniversary panel Thursday the 18th from 2:15pm to 3:15pm west coast time (so 5:15pm to 6:15pm EST).

Summary says:
One of the greatest action animated series of all time celebrates its 30th anniversary this year! Join legendary DBZ voice actors Sean Schemmel (Goku), Christopher R. Sabat (Vegeta), Sonny Strait (Krillin), and Monica Rial (Bulma) for a celebration 30 years in the making, along with DBZ super-fan Mohamed Sanu, wide receiver for the Atlanta Falcons.
That'd be a memorable way to announce 2uper, wouldn't it; having Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Mohamed Sanu announce it at the SDCC panel.
Coincidentally he also turns 30 this year.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:33 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:44 am
HeroR wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:21 amThere is actually no evidence that Moro is Toriyama since we got no art work for Moro or any character from Toriyama unlike with the Future Trunks Saga or even Universal Survival Saga, Toyo talked about how he's getting much praise for this storyline with Toriyama only mentioned as a supervisor, Toriyama himself never mentioned the Moro arc and only told people to look forward to his next project back in Jump Festa despite Moro being talked about at the panel, and the Moro arc wasn't shouted from the mountain top as being an original story by Toriyama like everything else that Toriyama so much as squeezed on like him designing Android 21 and Shallot.
Perhaps, because the anime hasn't been announced, that's why they haven't been shouting it from the rooftops right now.
It could be like the Future Trunks Arc, which was, iirc, also supervised by Toriyama, as it was an idea that was presented to him by Toyotaro, the DB room and Toei.
We likely may not have seen any designs or anything yet because they are going to show all of that when the anime returns.
The manga is, for the majority of the time at least, Toyotaro's work filling in the blanks from Toriyama's draft, while the anime is Toei filling in those same blanks in their own way.

The FT Arc was a collaborative effort, and it sounds like this one is more Toyotaro's work on this occasion with Toriyama offering some ideas along the way.
Toriyama's next work? that'll most likely be the following Arc, or a new movie, (I hope not though) but I do recall Iyoku (head of the DB room) stating they've started thinking about a new movie, so we'll have to see.
The anime being announced or not has nothing to do with them telling us if a story is from Toriyama or Toriyama even mentioning it himself at Jump Festa. Instead, he only talked about the Broly movie and his 'new work', despite a nice part of the panel being about Moro.

The Future Trunks Saga, we actually got sketches from Toriyama himself, showing what Trunks would look like and they also told us it was a Toriyama's story. That and it was never said the Future Trunks Saga was presented to him by, Toyotaro, the DB room or Toei. All Toriyama said was that the editing board gave a suggestion and to this day, we don't know what the suggestion was.

Except we got sketches and notes saying 'Toriyama's next arc' when the manga jumped ahead of the anime by skipping Resurrection 'F' and did the Champa Saga. It makes no sense for them not to say Toriyama wrote the story, especially when the arc has been running for months now.

The only thing we know Toyo offered to the Future Trunks Saga was Vegetto, that's literally it. And again, we don't know what the suggesting was given for the Future Trunks Saga.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:20 am

sintzu wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:10 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:47 pm You mean that whole Simuldub thing? That theory has been tossed around since March, right?

Isn't a Simuldub a dub that airs its show close to the day it airs in Japan? In that case it's Adult Swim and Funimation's fault. I think they're the only ones that haven't finished dubbing and broadcasting the rest of the Super episodes yet.
If it gets announced soon (as in the next 2-3 weeks) for October, then we'll know that maybe they were holding off until Toonami and other foreign networks aired the TOP.

I have a theory that I was going to bring up after comic con if it wasn't announced there but I'll just put it out there now, and hope I'm wrong. Maybe 2uper has been cancelled. The reason DB came back in the first place (back in 2009 with Kai) was to help promote their card games and move merchandise. With Broly proving that a movie can be a massive success and Heores' anime promotion being (seemingly) popular, maybe they've decided that a movie every 3-4 years and a promotional anime is all that's needed for the franchise. Video games and merchandise are the companies' #1 priority, so much so that MUI was announced and shown for the games before it was shown in the anime. Why waste the time and money on a weekly anime when you can have 10 minute short episodes every 2 weeks that do just as good of a job ?
That was purely because Bandai had no choice with UI Goku but to simultaneously market it as it debuted the month DBS ended and a new movie was half a year away, that is why UI was the only thing from DBS to get simultaneous marketing. Just look at how long it took them to get to marketing Evolution Vegeta.
PremiumSalt wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:25 pm
I mean...I suppose it's possible. But, and correct me if I'm wrong about this, the foreign markets do make up a large part of DB's revenue, yes? And it's not as though the Heroes anime is being released internationally. So if that's their strategy...it's a pretty bad one.
Heroes anime is Kai, it's failed hard in what it set out do which was to convince to main series fans to buy SDBH merch because we now have animation to go alongside the Heroes BS, but those who aren't into the Heroes game still have no interest in it and those that are into Heroes already are for the cards and actual game ie they didn't need the anime to convince them to play. So instead Bandai just got egg on their face and it is pretty hilarious they were so confident that this PR anime was finally gonna make SDBH merch a success, instead we just got more cancelled SDBH merch.

The foreign market does and Bandai decided to go all in and focus on the overseas market last year due to Japan's declining birth rate the other advantage money wise for the overseas market is that Bandai is able to sell products direct to fans and charge whatever price and they slowly over the year started increasing prices.

But even Japan, DB continues to get more and more successful, when it comes to prize figures DB has already broken it's case sales record 4 times since DBS ended and is set to break it again in December with Nakazawa's Broly. When it comes to premium products Bandai are charging upwards 14,000yen for products that should cost half that and the reservations are filling up so fast that Bandai open up more for 2nd, 3rd and even 4th shipments!

End of the ToP into Broly I think has set DB for a few years, they honestly do not need to rush out an anime.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:20 pm

welp if that shit is what SDCC is for 30th A of DBZ then it a gg, see you folks later.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:41 pm

Guys, the show will be announced whenever it gets announced. Okay?