"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:13 pm

sintzu wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:49 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:00 pm
Scsigs wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:51 pm Imagine if this arc were a movie instead of an arc. It might move at the speed of sound to rival Sonic the Hedgehog, but it'd be better in terms of the pace & what to focus on.
Toyotaro tried to do this with his take on the Universal Survival arc in the manga. But ironically, it suffered from arguably worse pacing issues than the anime did because it blitzed through the story and character beats so quickly that barely anything was fleshed out. And most of the stuff that was focused on didn't receive any kind of satisfying conclusion because Toyotaro prioritised in getting the story finished as quick as possible.

An arc like the Universe Survival arc is too big in scale to condense into a single movie. It works better as a story arc because it give the narrative more time to breath. But that arc shouldn't have lasted over 50 episodes in the anime. 30 episodes is how long that arc should have lasted and even that is kinda pushing it in terms of pacing.
I think the arc should've just had 4 universes instead of 8 as each one would've been better utilized that way.
Someone in the Dragon Ball room just needs to have the courage to tell Toriyama his story ideas aren't good or need to be worked on more.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:41 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:13 pmSomeone in the Dragon Ball room just needs to have the courage to tell Toriyama his story ideas aren't good or need to be worked on more.
Toriyama said that bringing Broly and Vegetto back were ideas given to him by others so I don't know if the 8 universes were his or not. It seems like Toriyama's role now is guiding others in the right direction by taking their ideas and making them work as best as he can. He doesn't seem to be the one coming up with them.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:47 pm

sintzu wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:41 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:13 pmSomeone in the Dragon Ball room just needs to have the courage to tell Toriyama his story ideas aren't good or need to be worked on more.
Toriyama said that bringing Broly and Vegetto back were ideas given to him by others so I don't know if the 8 universes were his or not. It seems like Toriyama's role now is guiding others in the right direction by taking their ideas and making them work as best as he can. He doesn't seem to be the one coming up with them.
Regardless of whether he comes up with the original ideas or not, Toei and Toyotaro follow his core bullet point structure for story arcs. And needless to say, Toriyama has made controversial decision in what the general story and characters beats are for any given story arc or movie he's significantly involved in.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:05 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:47 pm
Regardless of whether he comes up with the original ideas or not, Toei and Toyotaro follow his core bullet point structure for story arcs.
Toriyama originally was going to have Goku and Vegeta team up against fused Zamasu but Toyotaro wanted Vegetto because "fans would be upset if he didn't show up" so he changed it. This isn't the manga where Toriyama was the sole writer, it's more of a team effort with him getting the final say.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:23 pm

sintzu wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:05 pm

Regardless of whether he comes up with the original ideas or not, Toei and Toyotaro follow his core bullet point structure for story arcs.
Toriyama originally was going to have Goku and Vegeta team up against fused Zamasu but Toyotaro wanted Vegetto because "fans would be upset if he didn't show up" so he changed it. This isn't the manga where Toriyama was the sole writer, it's more of a team effort with him getting the final say.
But even in the manga days it wasn't all his all ideas he had editors, the only reason Cell exisited was because they thought the Androids wouldn't look appealing enough or something like that, (which is ironic considering they have completely eclipsed Cell in terms popularity.) Toriyama liked Cell's 2nd form but his editor didn't, so things really aren't that different to how they were before.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:23 pm
But even in the manga days it wasn't all his all ideas he had editors, the only reason Cell exisited was because they thought the Androids wouldn't look appealing enough or something like that, (which is ironic considering they have completely eclipsed Cell in terms popularity.) Toriyama liked Cell's 2nd form but his editor didn't, so things really aren't that different to how they were before.
There's a massive difference between an author working with his editor and an author just doing what his fans want.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:32 am

sintzu wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:57 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:23 pm

There's a massive difference between an author working with his editor and an author just doing what his fans want.
Toriyama isn't doing what fans want though, none of us have contact with him, it is exactly the same as before he is taking on board suggestions by others.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:47 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:32 am Toriyama isn't doing what fans want though.
He says he is, such as with Broly and Vegetto.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:57 am

sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:47 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:32 am Toriyama isn't doing what fans want though.
Vegito was a Toei/Toyotaro idea, there's an interview saying he wasn't planning on his return

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:00 am

mute_proxy wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:57 am
sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:47 am
Vegito was a Toei/Toyotaro idea, there's an interview saying he wasn't planning on his return
He still went ahead with it to not upset the fans, which is what Toyotaro said.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:13 am

sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:00 am
I don't think Toriyama's responsibility dropping "go aheads ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" count as decision making these days, but that could be just me

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:29 am

mute_proxy wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:13 am
sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:00 am
I don't think Toriyama's responsibility dropping "go aheads ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" count as decision making these days, but that could be just me
Except it does. He gets final say on what goes into the bigger things to happen in the arcs. He could've just went with his original plans, but he allowed a change when suggested it by Toyotaro, but it WAS his decision.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:37 pm

The Microsoft store is selling the first "season"s of DBZ and DBS digitally for free for a limited time, though they unfortunately appear to be dub-only:

https://comicbook.com/anime/amp/2019/07 ... microsoft/
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:19 pm

It’s so sad that nearly 24 hours go by and not a single post. Maybe most people watch subbed and this is not new but there must some dub fans loving these weekly episodes!!
12 more left!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:14 pm

LettuceJUMP wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:19 pm It’s so sad that nearly 24 hours go by and not a single post. Maybe most people watch subbed and this is not new but there must some dub fans loving these weekly episodes!!
Considering the episode that was just released dubbed is considered one of the worst and most forgettable of Super's entire run (which is REALLY saying something), don't be really surprised if there isn't much of a conversation surrounding it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:31 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:14 pm
LettuceJUMP wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:19 pm It’s so sad that nearly 24 hours go by and not a single post. Maybe most people watch subbed and this is not new but there must some dub fans loving these weekly episodes!!
Considering the episode that was just released dubbed is considered one of the worst and most forgettable of Super's entire run (which is REALLY saying something), don't be really surprised if there isn't much of a conversation surrounding it.
It also doesn't help that this arc is really dragged out and hard to get through.

VirtuaBranson

Post by VirtuaBranson » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:58 am

12 more left!
For me personally I prefer the dub (after Kai of course) but am waiting until the Season BRs come out to binge it so I’m way behind. I’ve only seen part of the BoG saga. So I’d comment but I freaking hate the one a week format. It’s terrible.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:57 pm

12 more left!
Most people don't post here unless they have something to complain about with the dub. Like we got pages after 110 and 111 over the Ultimate Battle dub and calling Hit from U6. When the dub is good, this place becomes crickets more often than not.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:34 pm

HeroR wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:57 pm
12 more left!
Most people don't post here unless they have something to complain about with the dub. Like we got pages after 110 and 111 over the Ultimate Battle dub and calling Hit from U6. When the dub is good, this place becomes crickets more often than not.
Hit the nail on the head right there.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:08 pm

Very true. I ignore the complaints.
I don’t feel the arc drags. Hard to accomplish a lot in 22 minutes of episode. I love the universe building and vast characters we’ve met. Coming down to the wire. I might have read some spoilers but this is my first time watching weekly in dub.