Because Toei did not do a bluray of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z until today and they will do at some point?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Because Toei did not do a bluray of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z until today and they will do at some point?

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:53 pm

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Because Toei did not do a bluray of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z until today and they will do at some point?

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:23 pm

Is there some Toei-produced Blu-Ray news that happened today that I've missed? I don't understand the crux of this thread.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Because Toei did not do a bluray of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z until today and they will do at some point?

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:09 am

KBABZ wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:23 pm Is there some Toei-produced Blu-Ray news that happened today that I've missed? I don't understand the crux of this thread.
I think the question being asked is whether or not Toei will remaster DB and Z for Blu-Ray. Anime isn't a big seller like in other countries so I doubt it as they would've by now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:15 am

sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:09 am
KBABZ wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:23 pm Is there some Toei-produced Blu-Ray news that happened today that I've missed? I don't understand the crux of this thread.
I think the question being asked is whether or not Toei will remaster DB and Z for Blu-Ray. Anime isn't a big seller like in other countries so I doubt it as they would've by now.
Esp when there's a ton of anime download websites. I'm cool with any dbz fan purchasing DVD or anything, but its not late 90's or pre-2000 or post-2010 were talking about.

Its 2019 & I'd be baffled to come across anyone spending 100-200 bucks for anime DVD's or manga when they're all available online. Keeping that prospect in mind is prob why TOEI did not do BluRay release

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:20 am

Vijay wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:15 amIts 2019 & I'd be baffled to come across anyone spending 100-200 bucks for anime DVD's or manga when they're all available online. Keeping that prospect in mind is prob why TOEI did not do BluRay release.
I don't think it has anything to do with people downloading it online, it's just that anime based on manga don't sell well in Japan as people there simply prefer the manga. The same thing happened with the dragon boxes and their singles, the GT ones sold better than DB and Z because GT didn't have a manga counterpart.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:36 am

It just seems like TOEI doesn't think its worth the investment. They did the movies and specials because its less content and less work for them.

They are the only company with film masters for OG DB, but because its no where near as popular as Z and Super and doesn't feature any of the characters we know and love in their prime they don't seem willing to revisit it for any anniversaries. Maybe we'll get lucky in 2026, but TOEI may need to be run by new management who will be willing to take the potential risk.

For the Z portion, they made an attempt with Kai, but the main purpose of that, which utterly failed in Japan was to repackage an anime from 1989 as a new show, not remaster the whole thing from the ground up. Here we are 10 years later and they are still taking the safe and cheap (possibly free this time) way out by leaving Funimation to do it, likely because their home releases have sold so well and generated royalties for TOEI.

I think everyone should support the current releases and buy whatever they don't have in their collection as it will probably be a long time before TOEI changes their ways.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:46 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:36 amI think everyone should support the current releases and buy whatever they don't have in their collection as it will probably be a long time before TOEI changes their ways.
This is exactly why Toei won't do their own thing, fans are happy enough (including myself, unfortunately), with mediocre products that they see no reason to put out anything better.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:36 am

They did release an HD remastered Mazinger Z on BD, so who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zaXYKIDab8

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:21 am

Yeah, for me the question is whether Toei (and other anime companies) release Blu-Ray sets of anime that have 400+ episodes. One Piece? Naruto? It could be that the sheer volume of content puts it out of bounds from Toei's perspective.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:21 am Yeah, for me the question is whether Toei (and other anime companies) release Blu-Ray sets of anime that have 400+ episodes. One Piece? Naruto? It could be that the sheer volume of content puts it out of bounds from Toei's perspective.
The original 3 DB anime are actually over 500 episodes. They may not be able to make back the amount of money, time, and effort that would go into it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:14 am

sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 am
KBABZ wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:21 am Yeah, for me the question is whether Toei (and other anime companies) release Blu-Ray sets of anime that have 400+ episodes. One Piece? Naruto? It could be that the sheer volume of content puts it out of bounds from Toei's perspective.
The original 3 DB anime are actually over 500 episodes. They may not be able to make back the amount of money, time, and effort that would go into it.
Dangit, I was actually going for the Z episode count, aka the only bit Toei cares about anymore!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:26 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 am
Maybe not domestically, but collaborating with Funimation was their golden opportunity to make a return on their investment, especially now that Funimation owns Manga UK they could have remastered each of the three original series in volumes and released in Japan, North America, the UK and Ireland (obvioisly with the English speaking regions having the dub track with subtitles). They could have put out something like the level sets with 17-20 episodes per volume bare bones and if TOEI did a proper clean up of the original film masters they'd look fantastic and sell reasonably well because there would be a much wider consumer base and for OG DB and GT it would be their debut on Blu-Ray.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:47 pm

508 episodes? Plus three double-length TV specials?

I don't think Toei will do it. Hell, even their crappy standard-def Dragon Box "remastered" release isn't what most TV stations air for Z, and people in Japan still happily watch the raw, unremastered, cheap, quick, tape transfers Fuji did of their release prints in the '90s/'00s before selling off their physical film.
And even the more discerning viewers are happy to have their collectible Dragon Box DVDs, or watch it streamed, despite the DBoxes being crappy even as far as standard-def masters go.

There was talk for a while of Toei partnering with Funi to do something, but realistically, this wouldn't make any sense anyway; Toei's film is significantly superior to Funi's, to the point Funi's should be completely ignored if Toei's film is at all an option. So, Toei would do all the scanning.

Here's my theory on how this would work out...

For cleanup, it would really only make sense to do it within Japan, because with the enormous size of the digital files of the raw scans, most studios will even tend to get transfer & cleanup done at the same facility since then you don't have to deal with the logistics of moving the files until the work's done and it can be laid onto something like HDcam for encoding, authoring, etc. at the very end.
Sending half of that over to the USA to split the workload would be ridiculous.

So, I reckon the only support Funi could provide is monetary. But realistically, if Funi can afford to do a scan of their Z film twice (2006 & 2010), then either Funi could finance the scanning fully, or Toei could finance the scanning fully, on their own. It's just a matter of whether either or both companies see it as worth it.
If Funi sees it as worth it, but Toei don't, Toei won't care, and Funi will be left with just their own film and an option to buy film of DB and GT from Toei if they really want to do all 508 episodes (which they'll never do).
If Funi and Toei both see it as worth it, or if Toei see it as worth it, Toei will do it themselves, and just get Funi to license the master when it's done, if they're interested.

Naturally, the expensive part is the cleanup. And so far, Funi have seen even cleaning up more than 39 episodes of Z to be a fool's errand, and Toei only did the most basic, rather iffy cleanup for the DBoxes, and then left Kai to be done rather poorly by Q-TEC.

So... Maybe one day Toei will do things properly, but personally, I'm not holding my breath for it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:09 pm

If they were going to do it, they would’ve done it by now.

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:50 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:20 amI don't think it has anything to do with people downloading it online, it's just that anime based on manga don't sell well in Japan as people there simply prefer the manga. The same thing happened with the dragon boxes and their singles, the GT ones sold better than DB and Z because GT didn't have a manga counterpart.
This isn't exactly right.

In general, anime is more popular than manga. Also, there are many popular anime without manga.

It is just than blu-rays/dvds for animes don't sell good (even for animes without manga). However, the popularity of anime is usually measure by merchandise sales.