FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AwesomeEliyafeth

FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Post by AwesomeEliyafeth » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:43 pm

Yep. Exactly what the title says. Believe it or not, FUNimation and FYE have announced a store-exclusive rerelease of the infamous Dragon Ball Z Orange Bricks from 2007, with a suggested retail price of $239.91.

https://www.fye.com/dragon-ball-z---com ... _z#start=7

This is technically the THIRD Dragon Ball Z "Box Set" to be announced within the last 2 years, with the "Season" Blu Rays recieving a box set with an initial price of $174.99 on Amazon and the upcoming 30th Anniversary Blu ray set.

Anyway, thoughts?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Post by DHM211 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:42 pm

$240 for that garbage repackaged? Big pass.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:33 pm

Ugh, they just keep repackaging that same old widescreen DNR'd to oblivion crap again and again. I'm quite frankly amazed those things are even still being sold at this point given how many have subsequent editions have come out since then and it's not even a relatively new release anymore this point, being the Orange Bricks are over a decade old as the Season 1 set released back in February 2007. I mean, literally the only reason they have sold like they did was and is because of the cheap price and not the "remaster" or fake 16:9 widescreen transfer.

Simply put, nothing to see here because it's just a straight repackage of a terrible release.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:37 pm

My local FYE already has a couple big box sets of the orange bricks, the only difference compared to this one is that one has different art on the box. Another thing to collect dust at FYE, I guess.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:40 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:37 pm My local FYE already has a couple big box sets of the orange bricks, the only difference compared to this one is that one has different art on the box. Another thing to collect dust at FYE, I guess.
Yeah but who's seriously going to pay that much money for them in a box set? I mean the few of them which i did used to have but no longer own were dirt cheap pawn shop finds and all individually. Then of course i got rid of them after gradually getting the Dragon Boxes over a period of time, because why keep them when i've got the unquestionably better release by far and they're pretty much just going to sit on the shelf collecting dust anyway.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:41 pm

Capitalism was a mistake.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:46 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:41 pm Capitalism was a mistake.
"Capitalism was a mistake"

Care to elaborate there, Julie? Exactly what are you referring to?
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:05 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:46 pm

Care to elaborate there, Julie? Exactly what are you referring to and what does it have to do with this here topic?
The product I detest is being kept in circulation and at the expense of a proper release because of profit. Capitalism is the system of redirecting all wealth to the top, no matter what. In this case the 'no matter what' refers to keeping a bastardization of a popular cartoon I like in circulation while a proper release is deemed 'unprofitable' and thus left out of circulation and scrub from history.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:08 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:05 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:46 pm

Care to elaborate there, Julie? Exactly what are you referring to and what does it have to do with this here topic?
The product I detest is being kept in circulation and at the expense of a proper release because of profit. Capitalism is the system of redirecting all wealth to the top, no matter what. In this case the 'no matter what' refers to keeping a bastardization of a popular cartoon I like in circulation while a proper release is deemed 'unprofitable'.
Ah ok, thank you for the explanation and yes it really sucks that this crap release from over a decade ago keeps getting regurgitated over and over in different forms instead of a genuine proper one that actually does the series justice.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:34 am

Collecting a release of DBZ for the 30th anniversary makes sense. Collecting a DVD release of DBZ when there's a perfectly viable Blu-Ray release makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. Is this so that the Black Bricks don't look bad??

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 am

KBABZ wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:34 am Collecting a release of DBZ for the 30th anniversary makes sense. Collecting a DVD release of DBZ when there's a perfectly viable Blu-Ray release makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. Is this so that the Black Bricks don't look bad??
I really don't get it either, especially with it being a DVD release that came out over a decade ago when Blu-ray was in it's infancy and just starting up (right before or around the time of the long drawn out format war with HD-DVD starting until the latter got absolutely wrecked in sales the entire time and went kaput) and with the new 30th anniversary BD set soon to come no less.

Now that said, i wouldn't be surprised if it were indeed the latter reason they are doing this like "Hey, let's reissue the crappy widescreen release again and it will put the 4:3 30th set on a pedestal" even though it leaves quite a bit to be desired in terms of the video quality.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:55 am

Okay but...why?

This is the most perplexing thing I've seen in ages. Making a DVD boxset when there's a Blu-Ray release of comparable (but still bad) quality in the year 2019?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:56 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:55 am Okay but...why?

This is the most perplexing thing I've seen in ages. Making a DVD boxset when there's a Blu-Ray release of comparable (but still bad) quality in the year 2019?
I can't make heads or tails of it myself, it seems like a really odd decision given that fact.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:16 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:56 am

I can't make heads or tails of it myself, it seems like a really odd decision given that fact.
Again I think it's to avoid directly competing with the Black Bricks.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:23 am

KBABZ wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:16 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:56 am

Again I think it's to avoid directly competing with the Black Bricks.
It definitely seems that way, although the latter is no doubt better in that it actually has the correct aspect ratio for the show unlike either the Orange Bricks or Season BD's. If only it weren't DNR'd and smeared to death and the grain properly intact then it would be a really great release as in something like a Level set equivalent.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:00 am

Yeah, this is definitely a big pass. Just ridiculous the Blu-Ray box set is cheaper. If this was half the suggested retail price I could maybe see it as a budget option for someone who wants any DBZ release, but at $239? In 2019? :shock: No way. Better things to spend that money on.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:50 am

Has anyone else noticed they're doing a DB Blue Brick Collector's set too?

https://www.fye.com/dragon-ball---compl ... 51968.html

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:42 am

We don't have capitalism. We have a mixed economy.

More importantly, FYE is still around?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:50 am

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:50 am Has anyone else noticed they're doing a DB Blue Brick Collector's set too?

Now THAT is cool! Is there any way to buy just the slipcase??

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:38 am

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:50 am Has anyone else noticed they're doing a DB Blue Brick Collector's set too?

That is interesting. I wonder if this means there will be a GT one too? Probably not because the box would be considerably smaller and The Complete Series is a thing, but it'd be nice for people who do want these box sets for completeness sake.

$159 is steep for OG DB, especially when the blue bricks can be found much cheaper for all 5 sets. Wish if Funimation were going for a 'Limited Edition' release they would release the Blue Water dub (and the Saban, OG Funi Freeza + Garlic Junior and Westwood dubs for DBZ), maybe in association with Manga UK. Would be a far more interesting product than yet another repackage of the remastered dub, especially a release thats been in print for 12 years.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: